Stans NoTubes Best Tubeless Sealing Kit Tubeless Tire

4.11/5 (236 Reviews)

Stan’s Tubeless System:

Converts your standard rims and tires to a tubeless system. Has the ability to be used with tubeless and non-tubeless tires. This cost efficient light weight system reduces rotating weight for faster and easier pedaling. This Tubeless system will convert 2 tires and rims and includes: 1 pint of Stan's Tire and Rim Sealant (seals approximately 8 tires), a 60g scoop, 2 Molded Rim Strips with removable valve core, 1 roll nylon reinforced tape, and decal.

Submitted by robin richardson

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2014

Strengths:    Unknown

Weaknesses:    If you don't have access to a copressor and own a Presta to Schrader converter save yourself a lot of aggro and stick with tubes!!

Bottom Line:
Very dissapointed and frustrated with the above experience; incomprehensible instructions, not cheap and I used a joeblow foot pump!!

Submitted by Vespasianus a Cross Country Rider from Lansdale, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Strengths:    Works

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
Hate to say it, but the stuff works. I have tried all the other sealers but when push comes to shove, the only thing that seals a puncture is STANS. Everything else I have used, from SLIME to the stuff you buy at the automotive store, just won't seal a small puncture.

Still too dxmn expensive at $15 a bottle but the stuff does with they say it does.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Bike Store

Similar Products Used:   All

Bike Setup:   Titus ML with X819 and non UST tires

Submitted by Carlos R a Racer from Gurabo, PR

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2011

Strengths:    Seals well if you get the trick of installing it and become an expert or you are a professional cyclist with experienced mechanics on your side.

Weaknesses:    Dries too quickly, does not holds well in all conditions, messy, you need to become an expert in the system to get it working.

Bottom Line:
I had only horrible experiences with the product. I tried both, the old and newer versions with no luck. I decided using slime light tubes and have not experienced a flat in about two years (using the same tubes). I race at leat 5 times a year and train very, very hard. For a penalty of only 3 ounces per pair, I preffer the slime tubes. It helps not interrupt my performance during races. Sometimes, a little extra weight is worth the inpercetible penalty if the tradeoff is better performance. I think it might work well for road bikes, but would not damage an expensive Bontrager weelset with such messy liquid.
God Bless.

Favorite Trail:   many...

Purchased At:   webstores (2)

Similar Products Used:   no other tbeless system

Bike Setup:   GT idrive, crossdisk weelset, manitou fork, Bontrager Race Light cranks, BB7 discks, XTR derls, etc...

Submitted by griz1221 a Cross Country Rider from Old Lyme, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2009

Strengths:    Opens the door to the tubeless world!

Weaknesses:    Learning curve, price I guess, directions could be better presented.

Bottom Line:
Do your homework on the site to see if your rims and preferred tires are listed. Watch the videos, again and again. Should you choose to don the Stan's mantle, follow the directions closely.
Biggest tip for me was the CONCENTRATED soap and water solution (rate somewhere on the label). The soap suds aid tremendously in seating and sealing the tire initially. Also, removable! valve stem on Stan's strip really lets you blast the air (walmart compressor) in to seat bead, hold pressure with finger, and quickly screw core back in.
Raced the fabled VT50 (not fast) this year on Geax Marathon 2.1's at 25psi and fared better in the mud than most. Trailriding this fall has been a low pressure gripfest. Spend much time seeking out bull briars to run over. Yippee, lighter setup, faster, more traction, and no more flats!

Favorite Trail:   the last one

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   none yet, just tubes

Bike Setup:   '09 Giant Anthem, stock Mavik x317 rims, XT gruppo, KMC Gold 9sl chain, Easton cockpit, Ergons

Submitted by meanbeaver a Weekend Warrior from vernon

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2009

Strengths:    I guess it works

Weaknesses:    Too expensive for what it does.

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money on no tube kits of any kind. You can make your own kit for way cheaper using gorilla tape ($6.00) and some local tube sealant ($5-$9).
Works just as good and you get to keep your savings for beer after the ride!

Favorite Trail:   ellison trails

Similar Products Used:   no tubes, stans

Bike Setup:   Opus Maadh 2 with sram X9 components.

Submitted by youngt2 a Racer from Hamilton Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2009

Strengths:    The stuff for me has done what it says it would do (in proper UST Rims & Tires)

Weaknesses:    Messy as H__L when you have to change or remove the tires.

Bottom Line:
Reading all the reviews from those with poor luck with the Stans sealnt - not sure why. I've run this stuff for about 2-3 years now (winter & summer)& if you are going to go tubless the stan's makes all the difference. I tried to save $ by buying the Green stuff from Walmart etc. & walked my bike home after a thorn puncture & seepage around the rim. Replaced that with Stans (different texture,color etc.) & as I held the wheel under water watched as the bubbles stopped. The whole UST concept is not without its own problems ( I always carry a tube far from home) like if you allow pressure to drop too low & hit an off-camber roack root etc. the rubber will separate from the rim & air will burp out ( cost me a race once)Tubes - no tubes the technology is getting better.

Favorite Trail:   just now Hilton Falls Milton

Purchased At:   On Line & LBS

Similar Products Used:   Green Stuff from Walmart & from an aerosol can (both useless)

Bike Setup:   2 santa cruzes with Crossmax & Mavic 318 UST systems 1 scott road bike with Dur-ace tubless rim with Hutchnsn road UST's-the only Manufctr I can find so far for road Tires.

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, US

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Bottom Line:
Don't bother. If you want to convert to tubeless, buy a 20" tube, fillet it down the center, fit it over the rim and trim it beneath the lip where the tire bead sits. It's the same thing (or better) and costs about $6.00 plus the cost of sealant. Mount a UST tire and seal with your preferred sealant. Thanks to the guys at Mojo Wheels for this tip.

Submitted by jkoehler a Cross Country Rider from Medina, OH

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2008

Strengths:    None that comes to my mind

Weaknesses:    Pretty much everythings

Bottom Line:
I am sure there are people that are using this stuff successfully, however my experience was all bad. I am a bigger rider (220lbs.) and I use Rhynolite wheels. I read through the instructions, did numerous dry runs and felt very comfortable with the process. I consider myself to be fairly savvy when it comes to bikes. I followed the directions to the T, I did the soap, shake, soap, shake, repeat multiple times, give it time to settle. You name it, I did it. I had ZERO leaks. As soon as it would come under fire (out on the trail) I would get slow leaks. CONSTANTLY. The directions online state if you are using Rhynolite rims use their rimtape. I tried with my tape that was originally on the wheels and their rim tape. Same result. If you are a bigger guy forget this stuff. I would be shocked if it would work for you. I talked to several other people who had the same problem. I could have changed 60 tires in the amount of time I spent trying to get this to work. If you do buy this stuff, go online and download their detailed instructions and watch the video.

Favorite Trail:   Mohican State Park

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, Rhynolite w/XT hubs, Kenda Nevegal tires, a lot of other extras.

Submitted by smokey422 a Cross Country Rider from MO USA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2008

Strengths:    For me, none.

Weaknesses:    Won't seal tires in spite of doing everything recommended in the video.

Bottom Line:
I tried both of Stan's kits, the original with the tape and the one with the expensive glorified inner tubes (rim strips). Tried it with several tires, including Hutchinson Pythons (which Stan said would work) and Panaracer XC Pros. I couldn't get them to pop and seal even with a big Sears air compressor and yes, I shook the tires all around to spread the sealant. It was a miserable failure, making a big mess and one of the worst products I've used on my MTB.

The ratings show that a lot of riders have had success with Stan's kits and I'm glad for them, but I can only report how they worked for me, which was NOT! If I ever decide to go tubeless again it will be with a set of the UST wheels and tires.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl, Rock Bridge State Park

Purchased At:   notubes.com

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Fisher HT, SRAM 9.0, XT hubs, Mustang rims.

Submitted by Charlie from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2008

Strengths:    Cheaper way to go tubeless than buying new UST rims and tires.

Weaknesses:    Initial setup is difficult. Costly for what you get in the kit.

Bottom Line:
I read the instructions and watched the installation video several times. I followed all instructions EXACTLY. It was still a major pain in the butt to get the tires to seal (about 2 hours worth of shaking, laying on side, re-inflating to 40psi, etc., etc.). The installation video implies tires seal in about 5 minutes and the written instructions say even the most difficult tires seal in 30 minutes. Anyway, my 29er Maxxis Crossmark's on TK7.1 rims ultimately did seal and have been holding air ever since. I have not yet given them a full test by fire, but the tires seemed to do OK on my little backyard obsticle course.

If you don't mind investing time and energy into this project and are pretty handy, then you might want to buy this. Oh yeah, and if you own a compressor. No way this stuff works without getting the tire started with a compressor.

But if you want something simple and clean and don't mind spending some more money, then go for UST rims and tires and skip Stan's.

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Creek Ranch (Warda)

Purchased At:   On-line

Bike Setup:   Cobia 29er converted to 1 x 9, DT Swiss TK7.1D rims, 340 hubs, monkeylite bars.

Submitted by Robert Bowers a Racer from Mt Tamborine Qld Australia

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2008

Strengths:    Reduced flats. Spend more time in the saddle. Improved handling and traction. Improved comfort/rolls better over rough ground.

Weaknesses:    Not for lazy people who neglect maintenance or have all work done by their LBS

Bottom Line:
In my opinion these are one of the top MTB innovations, just coming in behind clippless pedals.

Some people hate the stuff. It is expensive in that it is a simple chemical with some solid particles in it, however, the benefit is worth the cost.

I does take some looking after and during warner times of the year I'll pull the tires off every eight weeks, in winter every three months. Better pulling tires off at home than on the trail. I have perhaps one of two punctures a year that the sealant won't fix when I've had big cuts, but it would be every second ride that I get a flat that self seals and where all I've had to do on a regular 2-3hr ride is add another 5psi (I run about 30psi in a 2.1, 32-35 in a Maxlite 310 and 90-100psi in the road tubless). Sometimes I just see the evidence of the sealant leaking out when I get back to the car or get home without having to put an air in.

I could never go back to tubes as my primary set up. Tubes are a back up for only.

Purchased At:   through shop I do fill in work at

Similar Products Used:   My own latex system. Systems used for fixing bladers in footballs. In fact I did this before finding out about Stan's but never hooked on to the potential in a marketing success.

Bike Setup:   NRS carbon. Stan's Olympic wheelset. Yellow rim tape and Continental Supersonic Explorers, a similar wheelset with Maxlite 310s and a AmClassic Sprint 350 wheelset with Hutchys. The Stan's rim strips work only for a little while. I used them on some Bontrager Asym rims that would not inflate and the stems tore out v easily (just put a nut on the thread spin it all the way down and add a nereopene washer and place the strip on and poke the stem through the strip and rim and another nut on to hold it together - problem solved, and I ran this for a year).

Submitted by Larry Ginzkey a Cross Country Rider from Denver, Colorado, US

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2008

Strengths:    Stan's works. In over five years riding all over Colorado I have never had a flat. I get better uphill traction and downhill braking by using lower air pressure -- plus the ride is smoother and tires last notably longer, too.

Weaknesses:    Set-up is messy -- don't try it in your living room! May not work with every rim / tire combination. Recommend using high pressure air hose (rather than floor pump) to get tire to seat on rim. Must add sealant every 2-3 months, as it dries out over time. When iinstalling a new tire, must scour rim completely to remove dried sealant before new tire will seat properly.

Bottom Line:
Pros:
1. Stan's prevents flats from external sources (thorns, rocks) and internal pinch flats (because you can run tires at reduced air pressure).
2. Running at lower air pressure gives better uphill traction and downhill braking; also gives smoother ride and tires last longer.
Cons:
1. At $57 for the kit and $10 per pint refills, Stan's is not cheap. But you don't have to continually buy tubes and tires may last longer.
2. Set-up is messy and there is a learning curve to get it right. Need high pressure air hose to get tires to seat properly on rims.
3. Stan's may not work with all tire & rim combinations.
4. You have to replenish sealant every 2-3 months, as it dries out over time.
5. When you install a new tire you have to thoroughly clean the dried sealant from the rims to get the tire to seat properly.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Purchased At:   Stan's No-Tubes

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz "Heckler" 1999-2005; Ellsworth "Truth" 2005-present. Currently run Mavic 717 disc rims with WTB Weirwolf or Velociraptor tires or IRC Mythos XC tires.

Submitted by Dick Slessig a Cross Country Rider from L.A., Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2007

Strengths:    cheap way to go tubeless

Weaknesses:    falls apart

Bottom Line:
After 6 months of use, the valves on both rim strips separated from the strips themselves. I managed to fix the first one by putting a nut on the inside and sealing it with epoxy, and now it looks like I'll be doing the same on #2. The system does work, but it's a messy business when you have to remove the tire and put in a tube trailside. I'd be a lot more forgiving if it cost a third of the price, which would be reasonable for what basically amounts to 2 innertubes and a pint of fix-a-flat.

Purchased At:   bikeman

Bike Setup:   Kona Explosif 29er. WTB Dual Duty rims.

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from boise

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Strengths:    inexpensive

Weaknesses:    compatibility

Bottom Line:
I have had it with this system you do not know what a hassle it is until you try a UST wheel and tire setup, my point is UST rim and tires are designed to be compatable with each other stans notubes rimstrips are not compatable with certain wheels and many tires. UST wheel and tires have no install problems or compatibility issues i have used them for years with no problem, I do add stans sealant.Some of the newer UST tires are around 600 grams now so that makes UST even more attractive.Stans system is frustrating, maxxis tires reccomended? I wasted money mail ordering a set of rancheros...they leaked profusely through the sidewalls and despite trying many techniques they still leaked, leaking throuigh the valve stem hole in the rim, tried all reccomended fixes carefully placing rim tape, checking for holes in rim strip ect, the rim strip was brand new,returned them and still had problem with another new rim strip....no holes and carefully soaped up and installed and carefully checking it was seated in rim lip, back wheel no problem whatsoever.UST system was carefully researched and developed and it shows...a bullet proof system that is so reliable..sorry stan I give up.cost is not much of an issue with me since mavic crosslands are only $250.00 for a set.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   2005 heckler, 2004 ibex hardtail, 2 sets mavic crosslands with hutchinson pythons, 1 set mavic 717s with python non ust tires and stans conversion kit.

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from boise