Specialized Eskar S-Works 2Bliss Tubeless Tire

• Butyl wrapped bead
  • PSI: 35-65

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Fat width. Knobbys are big. Light enough. Drift

Weaknesses:    Drift

Bottom Line:
I like these tires. At first, they drifted in corners if you want, but also sometimes drifted when i didn't expect it. Now, after a few rides I can push the bike into a slide and get around tight turns better. Before getting the Eskar 2 Bliss 29er 2.3 tires, I had a little trouble with a couple turns on my favorite ride. I replaced the Crossmark 2.1's that my Giant Anthem 29er came with. I love the Crossmarks, cause they are really fast and I have not gotten a flat since I have had them. No flats in 305 miles! Crossmarks are great, but felt like I needed a beefier tire. I have been riding Cottonwood Canyon, near Blue Diamond, just 14 miles outside Las Vegas, Nevada. It is hard pack, hard pack with loose, sand, rock gardens with plums, oranges, cantalopes, watermelons, and some rocks as large as a donkey! These trails have lots of very sharp rocks and I have had no flats for the 35 miles i have put on them so far. With the Eskars, the bike blazes through stuff with no worries. I no longer need to pick a perfect line and watch out for all the danger details. Fat tires rule! From this, I have come up with a new truth:Tires are NOT like chicks, the heavy ones are fun to ride! This is based off a truth I always have said...Bikes are like chicks, heavy ones are NOT fun to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Dark Hollow from peak of Brian Head, Utah

Purchased At:   Las Vegas Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   WTB raptors

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant Anthem 29er with Fox shocks. 220 psi rear/100 psi front. Running with tubes.

Submitted by vandalay711 a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2010

Strengths:    Light as a feather. 2.35 inches.

Weaknesses:    Extremely weak sidewalls. I bought 4 of these tires that were "take-offs" from Specialized Enduro bikes. Ripped the sidewalls on all 4 in less than a month.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy and this has really turned me off on Specialized products. I have a durable lightweight all mountain sled, but trying to save 100 grams on tires is not the way to go.

Favorite Trail:   Wilson Creek Area

Similar Products Used:   I've used a lot of tires and these are just terrible. Now I know why the shop was taking them off the Enduro's.

Bike Setup:   Pivot Firebird that is fairly stock.

Submitted by Tzvia a Weekend Warrior from Woodland Hills CA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight. Good in sand and loose. Rolls fast on hard pack and loose over hard. Good cornering. Feels lively and responds to line changes quickly but also feel stable. Great as an XC/trail and not as an extreme trail tire.

Weaknesses:    I think the problem here is what people buy it for/expect it to do, vs what it is. I would not call any tire with such thin sidewalls a good 'bomb down the mt' tire. I would not ride these in areas with sharp large rocks and don't see them as 'all-mountain'. Zero stars there. See it for what it is and not what Spec markets it as.

Bottom Line:
All mountain they are not. 0 stars.
That's not how I am rating them here as I ride trails, few small jumps/stairsteps. Some technical XC/trail with lots of sand/roots/some rock gardens, typical So Cal. I'm a finesse rider looking for a good finesse tire that can stick a line, float sand, roll fast, corner well, make julienne fries. Maybe not the fries, but you know, a good all round tire. This is a good front tire for my use. Time will tell if the sidewalls are too thin for even me. More extreme riders should look at the Sport, Grid UST or Armadillo versions; maybe they would have the tougher sidewalls that AM riding demands. My value and overall ratings are how it fits my riding.

Favorite Trail:   Anything singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Captains, Weirwolfs, Wolverines, Tiogas, old Team Master/Team Controls, Nevegals, Smalblocks.

Bike Setup:   S Works Safire.

Submitted by leo_s a Cross Country Rider from denver

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, grippy in most conditions

Weaknesses:    Punctured after taking a big hit

Bottom Line:
Pretty much super grippy in nearly all colorado conditions (front range, western slope), never had a puncture with it til I went to Moab and came flying off a three foot drop blind and hit a big rock square-on at high speed which unseated the tire just long enough to deflate it and unfortunately my sealant was all dried up. Otherwise, tire would have resealed and life would go on. oh well. Love the tire. Feels funny at first when leaning hard into turns -- feels like it may wash out but then just grabs on tight and gets you through nicely. Once you get used to it you can FLY.

Favorite Trail:   steve's loop

Purchased At:   wheat ridge cyclery

Similar Products Used:   kenda nevegal

Bike Setup:   santa cruz heckler, dt swiss EX 5.10 w dt swiss rims w tubeless conversion kit, sram 9.0

Submitted by DHAnimal:-) a Downhiller from Derbyshire

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, good for dry light trail/XC

Weaknesses:    Poor grip in wet conditions, prone to pinch flats.

Bottom Line:
The knobbles on these tyres ar just not big enough for the intended use of the enduro bike, terrible grip in the wet especially on roots/rocks. I took them down my favourite trail and had a pinch flat after 1/2 a mile followed by an allmighty "off" on wet roots resulting in my arm being broken in three places! Don't bother with them unless you like your tame trail rides.

Favorite Trail:   Edale

Similar Products Used:   Continental Vert Pro's/Diesels.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro

Submitted by MB a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View, Wyoming, US

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls are crap

Bottom Line:
The sidewall got gashed in its second run down the mountain, beyond repair. Its pretty disapointing

Purchased At:   Binghams

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis

Bike Setup:   Trek liquid 20, Nixon platinum, fox talus

Submitted by gmalan a Weekend Warrior from NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent grip, light weight.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls are just too soft and vulnerable. Also, initially loses a lot of air through sidewalls when running tubeless. If you scratch the sidewall and your tubeless is flat in minutes...

Bottom Line:
These tyres came with my Enduro, helping it to get to its advertized low weight. For an "all-mountain" bike, they are totally inapproriate and way too prone to puncturing. Run them with tubes and you get pinch-flats. Run them tubeless and they flat at the slightest scratch on the side-wall.

The grip is great and they really are light, so they may be suitable on a XC bike (like an Epic) but even then I wouldn't run them tubeless on rocky terrain.

I've changed to Maxxis Minions with thicker (Freeride)tubes after getting about 12 flats in as many rides with the Eskars...

Favorite Trail:   Red Hill

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Minion

Bike Setup:   08 Specialized Enduro Expert

Submitted by nowshon a Weekend Warrior from orange county, ca,usa

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, high volume, float, easy mounting, great traction

Weaknesses:    Costs a fair bit

Bottom Line:
I'm a bit of a tire junkie, and I recently converted to tubeless. Wondering why I waited so long, what a difference! Anyway, I hesitated to try the Eskar S-Works based on reviews here, but took the plunge a few weeks ago. I must say I'm glad I took the chance. I'm honestly confused by the predominantly negative reviews. I'm really pleased with the performance. I'm running the Eskar in the front only so far, with about 27 lbs of air and a scoop of Stans, and loving the volume, cush and grip of the tire. I've ridden it on babyheads, shale, hardpack, pine needles and sand and have not noticed any transition issues between the top row and side row of knobs. Maybe I just don't ride fast enough to really hang it out there, and of course it's too early to really gauge durability. In any case, I believe the tire deserves a ratings boost. $60 is alot to pay for a tire, but not unheard of in this day and age, eh?

Favorite Trail:   Holy Jim/Trabuco

Purchased At:   surf city cycles, HB

Similar Products Used:   nevegal, conti speed kings, mutanoraptor, IRC Serac, small block 8

Bike Setup:   heckler with Stan's flow rims, Stan's yellow tape and a scoop of sealant.

Submitted by tommfuller a Cross Country Rider from Aberdeeen, UK

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Strengths:    These tyres came as standard on my Enduro. They are light, and have really good grip in a variety of conditions

Weaknesses:    The lightness means they are susceptible to punctures. I have had numerous punctures from small thorns, small sharp gravelly rocks and so on. Not really acceptable.

Bottom Line:
I suspect these are fitted as standard to make the bike seem nice and light. They are a really light tyre, but if you ride on anything even remotely sharp I'd avoid them.

Favorite Trail:   Bennachie

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Submitted by Rockhopper66 a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2009

Strengths:    good adhesion on rocky trails when dry

Weaknesses:    excessive wear (worn after one week at Lago di Garda); very low puncture resistance,

Bottom Line:
I personally believe Specialized should stick on making bikes and stop bothering cyclists with such tires. On my last ride I suffered front and rear flats. Had to use 7 patches; my friend with michelin all mountains didn't had any problems. Now I switched to Michelin too.

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Fat Albert & Racing Ralph; Michelin XCR Mud & All Mountain & XLS,

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro SL Comp (Front & Rear 150mm)

Submitted by njoehawkeye a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2009

Strengths:    Light for tire this fat. Rolls fast. Great traction. Did seal easily with Stan's. Don't use that Bontrager Super Juice, was on sale at my LBS, it's crap, never worked.

Weaknesses:    No problems yet, but I question the durability of the sidewall compared to the Control version. Also pricey compared to Control.

Bottom Line:
These tires are worth every penny. Are trails on the front range are loose as !@$$, and I think these corner way better than my nevegals, and I could feel the difference in rolling resistance instantly. CAn't speak to the longevity yet, but I'm a light rider so I don't really pound sidewalls like some. However I've had these on trails I rode with Nevegals and had cut sidewalls. That's why I put a control version on the rear. They're definitely built heavier duty.

ride it like you stole it.

Favorite Trail:   Sourdough Trail

Purchased At:   mojo wheels.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 2.35's Stick-E and DTC. IRC Trailbears. Assorted WTB's

Bike Setup:   Marin Wolf Ridge: stock except for the Specialized Rubber. S-Works front, Control rear.

Submitted by element 22 a Weekend Warrior from North York

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2008

Strengths:    Great traction in corners work well....BUT!

Weaknesses:    These leak more that a collander, needs tonnes of sealant at that point whats the point

Bottom Line:
These are not tubeless by any means

Favorite Trail:   Buckwallow

Purchased At:   Dukes

Similar Products Used:   Geax Segarrado, Michelin XCR AT

Bike Setup:   Opus Maadh1 fox float RLC

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Boulder,CO

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2008

Strengths:    Very light for tubeless, large volume tire. Soft rubber for good traction. Rolls well.

Weaknesses:    Thin sidewalls, requires sealant. Width seems a bit narrow for 2.3 sizing, at least compared to Hutchinson and Kenda.

Bottom Line:
For the weight, this is the most traction and volume I have found on a UST tire. I'm using as front tire only because I'm harder on rear tires and these tires have thin casings. Love the high (tall) volume which makes for a plush ride when running lower pressure 20-25 psi (I'm ~150 lbs). Rubber is sticky and adheres well to rocks, sandstone, and loose over hardpack. Tire corners and rolls well. Stopping traction is good, but Hutchinson Barracuda UST is superior. This is my current favorite for tubeless front wheel operation.

Favorite Trail:   Mtn Lion

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Barracuda UST (my current favorite for rear tire), Vertical Pro UST, Nevegal UST, Ignitor UST.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575, 819 UST rims.

Submitted by dvklco@msn.com a Weekend Warrior from Broomfield, Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2008

Strengths:    Like the traction and the way they corner turns.

Weaknesses:    durability seems to be the main issue...already after only 5-6 rides I noticed cuts in the tire.

Bottom Line:
Probably wouldn't buy these tires because of durability issues...as stated in a magazine review, they seems to slip at first in turns but then the outside tread grips like glue...kinda weird feeling at first but a neat feeling when you know they will grip.

Favorite Trail:   Walker Ranch, Boulder