Schwalbe Smart Sam UST Tubeless Tire

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Kero a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2009

Strengths:    Good on the road

Weaknesses:    Slid out in courners, wouldn't track correctly, had a mind of their own. Terrible in the slightest bit of mud.

Bottom Line:
I bought these tyres thinking that I'd get a good all round tyre for both the dirt and road. I have to admit that if it wasn't for the road performance I would have given them a zero for a score.
I had more stacks on these tyres in the first month than I've had all together in the past 5 years.

Favorite Trail:   Gap Creek, Daisy Hill

Similar Products Used:   CrossMarks

Bike Setup:   08 GT Avalanche Expert Hardtail

Submitted by Hector a Cross Country Rider from DeLand, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Strengths:    A great all around tire like I suspect a lot of people are looking for.

Weaknesses:    None (although the UST's are a bit expensive at the moment)

Bottom Line:
Just like everyone else says: the perfect all around tire. Personally I'm not a 'tire prima donna' when it comes to riding on the dirt. I've ridden a lot of tires that work well in all types of terrain from Whistler to Florida Swamps, but until the Smart Sam I haven't been able to find a good off road tire that also rolls well on pavement. I just finished building the perfect bike and these were the only UST's in all of my research that fit my needs (an even mix of urban and dirt) and although expensive, I'd pay the same amount a second time.

Purchased At:   Schwalbe USA