Schwalbe Racing Ralph UST 2008 Tubeless Tire

• Weight: 590g 650g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by richdirector a Weekend Warrior from Glasgow

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2010

Strengths:    Very fast rolling - good grip and seems to shed mud well. Used it at man-made course Glen Carron which has flinty rocks. Overan a corner slightly and cut through sidewall

Weaknesses:    That sidewall - have a tube in it at the moment as Stans didnt seal it - will inside patch it this week - hopefully that will sort it out - otherwise a lot of money for the experience.

Bottom Line:
    Hopefully patch works otherwise not worth the cost to me.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Larsen TT UST (on my singlespeed - quite similar slightly more grip and slightly more drag)

Bike Setup:   Ti Custom Carver 96'er with rohloff

Submitted by YeahWhatever a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Nearly impossible to mount to a rim. Tolerances are too tight

Bottom Line:
    The tire looks great, but I tried to mount two different sets to Bontrager Race Lite wheels, and they were nearly impossible to mount on the rim without damaging the wheel. I took it to a local bike shop and they couldn't mount it either.

Favorite Trail:   Fountain Head

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal

Submitted by BubColorado a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2009

Strengths:    2.25s are fat and fast. Good for dry, rocky and loose conditions, which is what we have here in Colorado.

Weaknesses:    price and availability perhaps

Bottom Line:
    Having ridden a Kenda Nevegal(rear) - Blue Groove(front)(both 2.1s) set-up for a couple of years, I wanted something a bit faster rolling and lighter. The traction of the Kenda set up was great, but the Ralphs are noticeably faster and have a bit more volume. The Blue Groove inspired more confidence on downhill corners, but the Ralphs are better than I expected in that regard. I have had zero punctures since I put these on 6 months ago (knock on wood) and the tread is still fine. The Nevegals seemed to wear faster. Great tire for Colorado!

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal/Blue Groove

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer-X, Mostly XTR, Rock Shox Revelation U-Turn Air Fork, XTR Hubs - Mavic 819 rims

Submitted by RMM a Racer from RMM

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    Good traction on dry surfaces (hardpack, slick rocks), low rolling resistance, confident cornering, moderately durable (no serious puncture issues)

Weaknesses:    Once conditions deteriorate...change tires, these are fair weather tires and will not get you over slick rocks, roots or through muddy sections ect. Also, while I have not had any unexpected punctures, the treads are wearing down fast. Cost, these are expensive!

Bottom Line:
    These tires definitely have a place in the arsenal. If you are looking for a fast tire to use on buffed out trails, this is your tire and you would be hardpressed to find a better tire for easy conditions. If your terrain is gnarly or slick, get something more aggressive.
    I am 175lbs and do not puncture often, and when I do, the Stan's seals them without incident. I run low pressure (28psi in back and 25 in front) even in the roughest terrain.
    The tread is wearing fast enough that the bean counters amongst us may want to reserve these as a race day only tire because of the wear issues in combination with the high cost.

Purchased At:   Complete Bike

Submitted by mjsmeyer a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Punctured and useless including rip in sidewall on second ride (200km). Not in least bit durable - seems the same with all Swalbe tyres

Bottom Line:
    Expensive rubbish

Favorite Trail:   north downs

Similar Products Used:   Usually use panaracer FireXCpro. Wanted to try a faster rolling summer tyre

Bike Setup:   Snata cruz Blure classic.

Submitted by cheesehead a Cross Country Rider from newbury park,ca. usa

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2009

Strengths:    fast rolling, grip, riding at low psi, braking, cornering. Everything related to socal riding, and handeling well in rocky areas. Resistance to punctures by cacti.

Weaknesses:    you want it to last forever, but you know it won't.

Bottom Line:
    I love tires, maxxis I loved them, weirwolfs I loved them. Where those (for me) left off the RR 2.10 front, and rear picked up. They corner soo well. Braking on a dime. I had the ignitors front, and rear, they slipped a bit in the front. The cornering is the first thing I noticed. I can take corners so tight, and fast, and be under control. I run front, and rear at 27psi, I am 190lbs with sealant. My riding has picked up to a new level that I cannot believe. I want to ride all the time. I can't wait to put them on my 29er, when I have that finished.

Favorite Trail:   any that's not too wet

Similar Products Used:   maxxis, weirwolf

Bike Setup:   epic s-work, cobalt blue wheeles,xo grip shifters, xtr cranks.

Submitted by DailyRider a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth Rolling, very low resistance, true 2.25", great traction in hard, loose over hard, and hard w/rocks

Weaknesses:    Maybe wear, but worth it!

Bottom Line:
    I've been looking for a smooth, fast tire that handled my terrain. I've found them and at 2.25" they are the fattest fastest tire out there. The rear might rear quickley (notice difference between rear and front after 2 weeks of daily riding), but well worth the ride.

Favorite Trail:   Crest, Dog Lake, & Shoreline

Purchased At:   UniversalCycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Hutch Python, Michelin XCR Dry, Intense Tubeless, Conti Explorer UST, Maxxis Larsen TT & Ignitor

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Niota Ti (in 4"), Fox Talas, full XO, DT Swiss 240 wheelset in UST

Submitted by Marius.Venter a Downhiller from Meyerton, South Africa

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2008

Strengths:    Fast Rolling, Awesome tyre in forgivving terrain.

Weaknesses:    3 punctures in 40km easy terrain

Bottom Line:
    I got these tyres with my Merida. I took them to the Knysna Oyster Festival and rode in first of all dry terrain for 50km. No issues at all. A real WOW ride.

I then did the Petzl Adventure Night Bike a couple of days later. This was a 15km Mud Bath. I could not really test the tyres as everyone pushed most of the way. We were in knee deep mud as we had floods the day before. Whenwe were riding it was slow and with not much control.

Took them out this past weekend into the South African bush. 40km trail with the first 20km being "deep" sand. I had to deflate my tyres to 2bar just to ride this stuff. Just looking at a rock just on 15km into the ride I got the dreded snakebite. I punctured another 2 times within the next 20km. I finished 7th in the race.

Conclusion: This tyre is great as long as you can keep air in the tyre. This tyre will cost you time as soon as you come close to any type of rock or thorn.

Would not buy them again. Fast rolling is not worth the 15min I spend repairing punctures.

Favorite Trail:   Knysna Forest