Schwalbe Nobby Nic UST Tubeless Tire

3.32/5 (19 Reviews)

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution UST: Spirited grip. Devilishly fast. Nobby Nic combines the incompatible: It has divine grip and goes like the devil. How is that possible? Triple compound - an MTB tire first -, combined

Submitted by Alainzen

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2014

Strengths:    Very light, fast roller, traction, easy to mount tubeless, durability

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewalls, average cornering, expensive, sensitive to tire pressure

Bottom Line:
I used 6 Nobby Nic 26" x 2.25" tires on my Mavic Crossmax ST within the last 9 months and I am now looking my next favorite all mountain tire. I really like the Nobby Nic but I already lost 2 tires due to punctures on the sidewalls for no obvious reasons. They are light, roll faster than any tire that I've tried so far, and climb great as long as you figure out the proper pressure to ride with.
Talking about pressure, forget about riding 25psi with those and their thin sidewalls. Cornering is average at the right pressure. The knobs have hold on for me without any issues.
I always find them on sale, but no way these tires worth the MSRP.

Submitted by GoneGator

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2013

Strengths:    Light, made of rubber (perhaps)

Weaknesses:    Durabiity

Bottom Line:
Rode these for about six rides when I noticed many of the knobs broken off of both tires. About 70% of the side knobs were partially or completely torn on these tires. Most of my riding has been on fairly technical Oregon singletrack, but c'mon guys I'm 50 years old, recovering from knee surgery and I ride very conservatively due to ongoing blood clots in my leg. I have never owned tires that failed this quickly. I will try to have the manufacturer warranty these, perhaps even check with the CPSC for recalls or product complaints.

Submitted by John Lee

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2013

Strengths:    Good all around tire

Weaknesses:    cost, thin sidewall

Bottom Line:
All around good tire. I am running these on a Scott 730 650b, I can finally try different psi ratings because I tried Rocket Rons and I couldnt even keep air in them. So, Nic Nobbys are the way to go for tubless. I have Stans No Tube Arch EX laced with Chis Kings. Great on the dry but good on the wet rocks and roots. Going to order a pair of Hans Damph next. Thicker wall and a little heavier casing. Happy trails

Submitted by Tillers_Rule a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2012

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Lack of grip

Bottom Line:
I normally don't like writing reviews after using a product only a week or two, but I'll make an exception here as I had to remove these from my brand new bike after less than two weeks because of the danger. The front of my bike was slipping and sliding all over the place. Started with 35 psi, then down to 30, then down to 25, then down to 20, then 18, just so I could corner without wiping out. I don't like running PSI that low as I'm going to get a pinch flat or smash a rim on the technical rocky section. I ride dry, hard pack, lose on top of hard pack. I had to change my riding style just to finish the rides until my new tires came in as I was afraid to lean the bike over. Southern California is not the place for this tire.

Duration Product Used:   Less than 2 weeks

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer Dart

Bike Setup:   Niner RIP 9, 200 lb rider on XL frame. XC to AM trails.

Submitted by prc a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    Grip well even in wet, pretty light, good rolling

Weaknesses:    expensive, sidewalls are week

Bottom Line:
Been using in both 2.1 (HT) and 2.25 on AM rig.

Very good traction front/rear and very predicable even on wet rock. Would say excellent front or rear tire for XC. Love them on my HT in size 2.1. Rolling resistance is not bad, actually use them on front with a racing ralph or furious fred on rear during most of the year (also stick them on rear during the wet winter months here in Portugal.
Only issue besides price (if bought at MSRP) is on my Nomad I've gotten alot of tears on sidewall. Too thin and easily cuts on rocks with very agressive riding.

Submitted by spencerfrater1 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, puncture resistance

Weaknesses:    weight, sidewall integrity, price

Bottom Line:
I have had a few of these tires now and know them well. The grip is amazing, especially on wet rocks and amongst boulders. Also, they are more puncture resistant than the standard Nobby Nics. They are a tight fit on all the rims I have, but once on they seal up quite well (tubeless) without a compressor - just a track pump.
However, we have had some issues with the sidewalls failing, sometimes suddenly. I have a video on my YouTube channel of a sidewall exploding and Stans sealant being ejected everywhere - but can't post the link here. There seems to be some weakness in the sidewalls that is triggered when riding amongst sharp rocks. But they are still my front tire of choice, even on my 29er.

Favorite Trail:   Penmachno

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, Conti Explorer, Conti Mountain King, Hutchinson Toro and Python

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR Pro Carbon and Niner SIR9 SS rigid

Submitted by Mark

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2012

Strengths:    Speed, grip and toughness.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I bought the tubless reay snakeskin verion as a front tyre to replace a Specialized Fast Trak. The Fast Trak was crap for where I ride and kept washing out in dry dusty switchbacks. The Nobby Nic was mounted tubless and sealled straight away and held pressure right from the start. There was no noticeable loss of speed and the grip improved out of sight. The area I ride is extremely rocky, sandy and with heaps of throns. So far there have been no leaks or gashes in the side walls (snakeskin) and the tyre is holding up really well. I have a Racing Ralph to replace the Specialized Renegade on the back when it finally dies. I have no issues at all with the Renegade as a back tyre. My tyres cost me $55 each from Wiggle with free freight.

Submitted by mudgirl a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2012

Strengths:    excellent grip, fast rolling

Weaknesses:    none that I have found yet

Bottom Line:
I have the snakeskin versions in 26" and 29", both mounted to Stan's Arches. The 29" tires mounted effortlessly at home with a floor pump. The 26" version... not so much. I ended up having to take them into my LBS to get them mounted. I actually had the opposite problem of an earlier poster, where the tires were too loose and would not seat into the bead without an air compressor and a lot of manual seating of the bead from the bike mechanic--though it still only took him like 10 minutes to do what I'd been struggling with for 2 HOURS!! ;) However, since then, I've been pleased with both pair.

They have terrific traction in wet conditions (important in Central NY) and grip wet rocks and roots with a sure-footed feeling I've never experienced with any other tire, aside from the Rocket Rons. I can rip over wet rocks, roots, and logs and rarely ever slip. We recently had a long dry spell and the trails got really dry, dusty, and hardpacked, and they performed extremely well on those conditions, as well. These may be a bit heavier than some of Schwalbe's other tires (a lot of riders around here seem to favor the Racing Ralphs), but I prefer the grip and extra durability over reduced weight. I've probably got over 1000 miles on the 29" Nobby Nics, and I've had no flats or issues with losing air pressure. I just got the tubeless set up for my 26" bike about a month ago, and I am assuming it will deliver similar results.

Favorite Trail:   Shindagin Hollow

Purchased At:   Cayuga Ski & Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Rocket Rons, Kenda Nevegals

Bike Setup:   26" and 29" versions set up on Stan's Arches. I run the front tire around 22psi and the rear around 24psi, depending on conditions.

Submitted by Woodster a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    Great in all conditions, very responsive, rolls extremely well.

Weaknesses:    Horrible side wall durability

Bottom Line:
Bumming out about these tires, was really liking them until the 10th ride when the side wall split on an xc ride. The side walls had the look of a tire that had been ridden hard for 3 months after the first few rides. The shop thought they sold me the snake skin side wall model until we researched it a bit. These tires would work fine for riders not encountering any rocks, just hard packed smooth trails. If you like technical riding stay a long way away from the Evo model... unless you like torching $180 every month or two.

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Michelin, Conti

Submitted by hawkeye a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2011

Strengths:    Great grip, and lets you know when you are straying close to the limit. Sheds mud moderately well in damp conditions. Light weight compared to other UST rubber.

Weaknesses:    Sensitive to correct pressure. Ran it at 30psi like the Ignitor I'd been using, and it was scarey skatey and loose - was seriously questioning the wisdom of the purchase. At 25psi, loved it.

Bottom Line:
The Nobby Nic is a great all-conditions trail tyre for sandy and rocky Sydney conditions. I use the NN 2.25 on the front paired with a 2.1 Racing Ralph on the rear, both UST triple compound. It improves on the planted feel of the Maxxis Ignitor on the front without the bad habit of letting go without warning when you exceed its limits. It rolls very well for such a chunky tyre - better than the Ignitor - and sheds mud OK ... you just have to dodge the chunks as it throws them off!

I don't ride wet conditions a lot due to the fragility and erodability of the sandy clay soils here, so there may be better options out there, but I thought it was OK.

Wear so far has been very good.

It is, however, very sensitive to pressures. As noted, I was not impressed at all initially, but on advice from mates started dropping pressures and when I hit 25psi it magically came good ... in spades. It is my new favourite front tyre.

In riding kit and Camelbak I'm 82kg. You'll need to experiment to find out what works for you in your conditions, but it is well worth the investment of your time.

For comparison I run the RR 2.1 rear at 30-34psi depending on how loose (low psi) or rocky (high psi) it is.

It's a shame the local distributor charges such a high margin. RRPs here are roughly twice what you pay if buying offshore. Hence the poor value rating.

Favorite Trail:   Awaba

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ignitor 2.1, Ignitor 2.3, Crossmark 2.1

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize 130mm

Submitted by eastie a Weekend Warrior from Victoria

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2011

Strengths:    Fastest AM tire and great grip

Weaknesses:    durability of thin walled condom

Bottom Line:
To start with, they are the fastest tire I've used - prior to this I thought maxxis ikons were fast but these are something different.

BUT, durability/strength is the key issues. A piece of crushed rock went straight through the rear tread after 15km (maiden voyage). WTF? I chose the nobby nic UST version as I don't worry about weight - I want reliability. FAIL in my book.

Favorite Trail:   Falls

Similar Products Used:   none - never experienced anything as weird as this. It pushes the boundaries at both ends of the scale.

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign

Submitted by kefli a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    Really good grip.

Weaknesses:    Side walls (destroyed one on it's first 30kms), difficult to mount on a non UST rim without tyre levers.

Bottom Line:
Love them as a front tyre, but they are to tight to mount on a regular rim converted to tubeless. You need to use tyre levers which in my case always end up damaging the rim tape and is no good if you are in a rush...

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   WTB wearwolf, Kenda Nevegal, Specialized S-Works Purgatory...

Bike Setup:   Mounted as a front tyre

Submitted by DaveC a Cross Country Rider from Athens, GA USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Strengths:    They HOOOOK UPPP!!!

Weaknesses:    None yet been rolling them about 3 mos.

Bottom Line:
Got the Schwalbe Knobbie Nic 2.5 UST's with the new Shimano MT 65 wheelset I bought and have nothing but good to report so far. They are my first tubeless/larger than 2.1 tire and I know I sound like a commercial when I say this, but, they scream for speed and beg for torque. Compared to what I've ridden in the past, they are so much more stable on the downhills and truely bite the climbs no matter what the trail bed offers. The only set back I've noticed is wet roots. A wet root will still throw you off line but once contact is made with the trail, the tire bites again. I truely feel more trust riding this tire which allows for more speed on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Sunshine

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC & Hutcheson Python both 2.1. Before buying the Schwalbes I spent most of my riding time on the Panaracers. The Hutch's have there place but I don't do xc racing much any more.

Bike Setup:   '08 Giant Anthem w/ Sram x9 D.T., Shmino MT 65 wheelset & some Thompson stuff ta boot.

Submitted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2009

Strengths:    Good compromise between traction and weight, especially coming from 2.5" UST Maxxis Minion DHFs! Reasonably fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls in rocky terrain. They just don't last and at $100AUD they just aren't worth it. Loose over hardpack terrain. Fast wearing.

Bottom Line:
If the trails are soft with no rocks then these are very nice tyres. If the trail is rocky, or even has just a few rocky sections, i'd try something else like a 2.2" Rubber Queen.

Purchased At:   Phantom Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Continental Rubber Queens, Maxxis Crossmark, Maxxis Minion DHF, Maxxis Ignitors, Continental Mountain Kings - all UST versions.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad with these tyres in the 2.25" width

Submitted by TORQ24 a Racer from Barrie ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Strengths:    Grip, roll (for a full nobby), looks great!

Weaknesses:    No problems yet. They seem to be wearing a little quick on the rear but they are an uncompromising race tire so I don't see that as a weakness.

Bottom Line:
I have been running the 2.25 UST front and rear for about a month. They have not let me down so far and have plenty of grip. I ride mostly mixed forest single track, not many rocks but lots of roots. These tires have allowed me to take corner speeds to the next level, just weight the front wheel and rail...sooo much fun to ride! They do however have more noticeable rolling resistance starting at about 20km/m and are sensitive to air pressure. I run about 27psi, any lower and they get "floppy" on my narrow crossmax SL's. I prefer more grip over ultra fast semi slick tires, overall I am happy and these are the most satisfying tires I have tried to date.

Favorite Trail:   Serious

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Python, Bontrager Revolt super X, Maxxis minion, IRC Mibro.

Bike Setup:   Element 90, Crossmax SL rims, Nobby nic 2.25 UST FR/RR.

Nobby Nic 2.4 UST on Trance X2 REAR

Looking to rid the 2.2 rubber queen (non UST) on the rear as it keeps leaking. Conti still don't do the 2.2. UST in Chilli so next best is Nobby Nic 2.4. Anyone know if this fits the rear of a 2010 Trance X2?Read More »

Standard Nevegal to UST Nobby NIC

I just switched to take advantage of my CrossMax ST rims, both the Nevegals and Nobby Nics are 2.1's but when when all is said and done, I did not lose any weight with the conversion. I'm hoping the rolling resistance is better with the Nobby Nics and at the same time the NN's have enough traction.. ... Read More »

Fat Albert vs Nobby Nic 2 - (UST)

On my primary ride -Blur LT2- I've been rolling Mountain King UST 2.4 F & R for the past 5 months. They've been great, no real complaints and have exceeded my expectations for being durable. They have sealed up just fine during several punctures. (I am using Stan's and they are mounted on X819's ... Read More »

Best UST tire..dry, Nobby Nic or Ignitor

I recently bought a pair of Mavic ST rims that can do UST, tried sealing my non-UST Kenda Nevegals with Stans and they would not hold air for more then a few hours, I think due to the ribbed bead. I like the Nevegals alot for grip and confidence but was thinking of buying a true UST tire that would ... Read More »

Good alternatives to Nobby Nic 2.25 UST

Hello Im looking for good alternatives to Nobby Nic 2.25 UST. I like the tire which is good for the danish mud through fall and winter. Does maxxis make a tire that would fit the bill? Maybe Kenda? Nokian? Best regards ThomasRead More »