Schwalbe Hans Dampf Tubeless Tire

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

One ride on Schwalbe's blow-your-mind trail tire and you'll agree that the Hans Dampf is perfectly suited to day in and day out trail thrashing.

Submitted by bitflogger

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2014

Strengths:    Versatile and predictable tire.

Weaknesses:    Not the cheapest out there. Be careful about all reviews of soft rubber tires that criticize wear or torn knobs. That's been a constant with nearly all the high end and sticky rubber tires I've had. I'm not calling that a weakness, just warning these are not basic OEM tires.

Bottom Line:
I've had classic well regarded tires such as Nevegal, Conti, High Rollers, Smoke, Dart.... These are faster than Nevagals but give you that soft of confidence. They don't roll WAY over like High Rollers but are predictable. They don't hold mud as much as some Contis I liked. They are BIG. No problems with tubeless setup and a hand pump.

My guess is any steps to give these more traction would make them slow like Nevagals.

I'm on my second pair which should say something about being good tires.

Submitted by WaldoOC a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2013

Strengths:    Dependable grip
Predictable release
Relatively fast rolling
Relatively light

Weaknesses:    Price, but you definitely get what you pay for
Lack of size options

Bottom Line:
Oh how I love having the Hans Dampf on the front of my bike (haven't tried it on the rear). It's excellent braking and cornering characteristics have made riding more fun and have saved my bacon several times on the loose-over hardpack, gravel, and sand of SoCal's summer. Of course when you get it on buff trails it feels even more amazing. And when it does let go, it does it in a smooth and controllable way, even for someone like me with minimal skills. It seems to hold up pretty well too - better than I've seen with other Schwalbes like the Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph, though on par with the Fat Albert. And it's lighter and faster rolling than the Fat Albert, which is the only other model I've ridden that gave me as much confidence as the HD.

My only complaints are that I wish it was cheaper, though I'd keep buying it anyway if I could. And I've just swaitched from a 26er to a 29er, and I wish they made it in a 29 x 2.25" instead of just the 29 x 2.35". I'd like the option for a little more XC-friendly width and weight.

If they make the size you want and you can work it into your budget, you'd be hard pressed to find a better

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Fat Albert, Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph, Maxxis Ignitor, WTB Velociraptor, etc., etc.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by TwoNeener a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2013

Strengths:    Huge. Grip for days. Inspires confidence.

Weaknesses:    I guess weight?

Bottom Line:
I love this tire. It measures what it's supposed to, clings to rocks and roots like velcro, and just makes me feel more confident than I should be.

I'm running the 29 inch trailstar version as my front tire on my Yeti SB-95 and I love it. I swear this thing was made for that bike. Rocks, roots, some mud, muck...the Hans Dampf slays them all. I won't run anything else in the fall/winter/early spring.

I suppose the only negative is that it isn't light. But the benefits far outweigh that minor issue.

Sometimes in life you have to pay to get what you want. Such is the case here.

Submitted by Alex a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2013

Strengths:    Surprisingly light tire for its volume and range of applications. Rolls well but good traction.

Weaknesses:    Does not seem to last very long (Pace Star). It actually looked pretty bad even after my first ride. The real problem, however, is the tubeless ready part. By tubeless ready I understood it would work well with Stans based on this statement by Schwalbe "Tubeless Ready tires are not Tubeless tires. However, they can be converted to a Tubeless tire by adding a sealing fluid." That is definitely not the case. I did ride many of Schwalbe's tubeless tires including Big Betty and Nobby Nic. The Hans Dampf is a like a sieve in comparison. Stans, i.e., the sealing fluid, is oozing out of this tire just about everywhere but especially as the seam to the snake skin side wall protection. In my many years of tubeless I have never seen anything like this. If you run this tire tubeless you better check up on the sealant on a rather frequent basis.

Bottom Line:
A tubeless ready tire that does not appear to be quite ready to be run with sealing fluid. Perhaps it works great with Schwalbe's sealing fluid but certainly not with Stans. I have used many Schwalbe tires and liked most of them. The Nobby Nics got chewed up quickly when riding rocky trails in the Rockies. The HD gets chewed up pretty quickly as well but better than the NNs. The Big Betty is a much better tire for the Rockies but the tubeless ones were "upgraded" at one point to become 1100 grams monsters which are just too much for Enduro style riding.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe: Nobby Nics, Big Betty, Muddy Mary, Fat Albert. MAXIS: High Roler, ...

Bike Setup:   6+" travel, full suspension

Submitted by mickmatthew

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    Fat. Beefy. Fat.

Weaknesses:    Expensive.

Bottom Line:
I recently set this up as a front tire on my rigid Karate Monkey and it's been amazing. Despite its massive size, I was able to set it up ghetto tubeless on a 29 Speed Disc with a floor pump (which has been a real challenge with other tires--I can choose to invest in a compressor or more bike stuff, and you can guess what I go for). I ride in the rocky steep desert of central WA, and run it pretty low psi, and so far the tire has been sticky and tough. It may slow me down some, but I don't notice. What I do notice is that it's a confident tire.

Submitted by FreuderLocks a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, grip and tons of grip

Weaknesses:    none so far although they seem to be very soft and wear out fairly quickly.

replacement price at nearly 100 bones each!

Bottom Line:
These tires are awesome. Ive ridden a dozen or so sets of MTB tubeless tires and these take the cake and a rather large cake at that! First off this was the easiest tubeless set up I have ever done, simple fast and clean, experience has something to do with that but these seated quickly and have not leaked or burped at all.

Grip! as previously stated, tons of grip. These tires inspire confidence in the worst riding conditions imaginable. The trails here in socal have been very dry and dusty and low grip, these tires have helped substantially with confidence in stopping and cornering in comparison to other tires (eskar, racing ralph, ardent, etc) I have ridden recently and that reside in my rubber arsenal.

These tires have great volume and provide some much needed cush in concert with suspension.

Overall I have to say that next time I need tires on either my 29er or my Jekyll, I will replace them with the Hans Dampf!

Favorite Trail:   Cholla