Panaracer Trailblaster UST Tubeless Tire

2.5/5 (28 Reviews)
Weight : 400 grams <br>(26 x 1.8) MSRP : $22.00

PanaracersTrailblasterTubelessTire offers great performance in a lightweight, durable package. Features Panaracers Multi-Step knob, as well asThe SK "side kick" knob designed not only for cornering, but for braking and accelerating. Panaracers exclusive knobs have various heights designedTo perform in all conditions from hardTo soft.TheTrailblaster also incorporatesThe variable rate knob, a Pyramid-shaped knob designed in exact sizing for incredible grip onThe knobs surface, especially in hard c

Submitted by scaryfast a Racer from phoenix

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, knobby, grip, all around usability

Weaknesses:    lightweight sacrifices durability

Bottom Line:
Excellent all around tire. It works great in the midwest and in the desert. Doesn't pack up under extreme mud. Side knobs are excellent for looser soily conditions. The wide base of the center and side knobs are great for hardpack and display little deflection when cornering. I have looked far and wide for a tire at this weight that provides this kind of grip and knobs. Since this is a review for UST, those complaining of pinch flats are confusing to me...how does a UST pinch flat? I'm 160 lbs, and have found that these work best at just under 40psi. Running stans is a necessity (at least here in the desert) and even though I've put holes/cuts in these tires from the huge amount of sharp rocks where I ride, I have successfully patched them and continued to ride them bald. For front use, grip remains good until the tallest center step is just barely visible. For the rear, I could run it almost bald before it felt too sketchy to continue riding it off road. If you're a bigger guy that doesn't like to choose a line around the very roughest of trails, go with a heavier duty tire, these are lightweight and more geared towards racers that like knobbies instead of the semi slicks that are flooding the market.

Bike Setup:   Superlight, Crosslands

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Johnson City, TN

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2005

Strengths:    I've used these tires for two full seasons and have had no problems whatsoever with them going flat. I use Stan's solution, so that helps alot. These tires seem to hook up much better than the other two sets of tubeless tires I've tried. They're good for the rocks and roots scattered all over the trails around here.

Weaknesses:    Rolling resistance is a little high for a 1.95.

Bottom Line:
These tires do the job for me. I think using a tire sealant is the only way to go with any tubeless tires. You're bound to get a puncture at some point, so its just nice to have the assurance that you're not gonna have a flat unless you do something really bad to the tire.

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Wildgripper UST. Kenda Kharisma UST. Hutchinson Scorpion UST.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by mountainrider a Cross Country Rider from denver

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2004

Strengths:    Have had no problems with these tires in dry conditions with the tires pumped up to 40psi.

Weaknesses:    Tried 37psi once and not only flatted but damaged an almost new crossmax rim. They need to be pumped up to at least 40 before every ride. Also, if the terrain is at all wet these tires really suck. There is just no traction at all over rocks or cornering through a little mud. Things that are all still easy even in wet conditions with about any other tire.

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money on these tires even if they are cheap. The risk of damage to the rest of your bike and your body is not worth the cheap price. If you already have them, pump them up a little extra and only use on perfectly dry days.

Favorite Trail:   401

Purchased At:   shop in Moab

Similar Products Used:   My first UST and am going to try Python next.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed, full XTR, crossmax rims.

Submitted by Wannabe Racer a Weekend Warrior from Northern New Jersey

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome tire for the money - tough and grippy! Contrary to the negative posts on this thread, I got my Trailbalsters to seat up on the first try with soapy water and they haven't lost any pressure. A week or so after I installed 'em, I added some Stan's sealant as extra insurance that nothing is stopping me and my Trailbalsters!

I also like the tread - the outside knobs give a lot of traction without a lot of weight and a relatively thin profile

Weaknesses:    Only weakness (and I think it is necessary for the UST tires) was getting the tire on the rim the first time - the last couple of inches didn't want to go on when they were new. They have a Kevlar bead and I was able to work them gently on using a plastic tire iron. When I had to break the bead to add the Stan's sealant, they were much easier to re-seat and I wouldn't anticipate any problem if I had to take one off on the trail

Bottom Line:
I agree with Gingertooth Shebangs' previous post - these tires rock ! I have pushed them plenty hard within the recommended pressures and have had ZERO problems ! They are tough and grip real well in all conditions! I went from a tubed 2.2 to the Trailblasters (1.95) and notice a big difference in speed too!

Not sure why everyone else had so many probblems with them unless you are putting htem on rims that are not UST compatible or are using them outside of the specs !

I would buy these again in a heartbeat!

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   First try with UST and I am very happy!

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 95

Submitted by gingertooth shebangs a Racer from ringwood, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2004

Strengths:    amazing traction, amazing durability. Can't beat them

Weaknesses:    none ever experienced

Bottom Line:
bottom line is the tires are awesome. What is with the fairy's trashing this tire. Just to let every one know if you put 25lbs of pressure in any tubeless tire and you weight more than 125 your going to waste this tire no doubt. Tires are designed for 35 lbs minimum or your gonna get crapped on and end up blaming it on the tire. I've ridden on the hardest crap man could find and raced on it as well and these tires are the best I have ever tried. They hold up on cornering phenomonally. And traction in climbing can't get any better in dry or wet. Plain and simple; those who bad mouth these suckers just can't ride a mountain bike and should go buy a rode bike cause the only people I know who cry like little girls are roadies. Suck it up . They rule. Trailblasters

Favorite Trail:   palmer park, Colorado Springs

Purchased At:   where ever

Similar Products Used:   maxxis, panaracers, contis, wtb's, kendas, tiogas, irc's, and you name it I've tried it.

Bike Setup:   good enough to smoke yours

Submitted by Joe a Racer from Cincinnati, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2004

Strengths:    Despite what I've read from other reviews, I've experience good traction on the wetstuff, roots and all. And the tires are light, saving 100g/wheelset compared to Huchinson Pythons.

Weaknesses:    Believe the hype these tires flat just lookin' at 'em. I've pinchflatted twice in one race. And, it's not just pinchflats. When I finally tossed it, it had 5 patched holes and at least 4 pinholes in it. I was able to patch it a few times with a regular patch kit, but it was extremely hard to get 'em to hold. Inside of tire must be bone dry. Hairdryer seems like a good idea. Better yet, buy a different tire. I've had the best luck with Conti's as far as durability, weight and traction. On a positive note, my wife has them on her bike and she hasn't had any problems with flats. She's petite and not that agressive of a rider. Maybe these tires can't handle a lot of weight and abuse.

Bottom Line:
They flat easy and they're hard to patch. Buy something else, unless your a lightweight non-agressive rider.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali, NC

Purchased At:   Biowheels, Asheville NC

Similar Products Used:   Huchinson Python. Conti Explorer.

Bike Setup:   2002 Jamis Dragon stock.

Submitted by Damian Smith a Cross Country Rider from Cheltenham

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2003

Strengths:    UST. Stays up for a couple of hours if you have small puncture. Easy to plug, don't even need to take the tyre of the rim if you use the right kit.

Weaknesses:    Punctures too easily on thorns.

Bottom Line:
These tyres were my first choice when I was getting my bike built up as I had been pretty happy with the tubed version, though they are 2.1". I'm not overly impressed and will be changing to Sepcialized Enduro or Panaracer Fire XC Pro for winter riding in the cotswold mud. I've had 3 thorn punctures and one pinch, caused after I was losing pressure slowly from a thorn. I had to be rescued after the pinch as I didn't have a repair kit. I don't know why panaracer say they can't be patched, I've had no problems using a proper kit with plugs that leisure lakes sold me.

Favorite Trail:   Nant-yr-arian

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes Cheltenham

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Trailblaster 2.1 regular

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Enduro S-works with Fox Talas RLC Forx

Submitted by Gary White a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2003

Strengths:    Quite puncture proof, moderate grip, low rolling resistance, look good, cheapish to buy

Weaknesses:    Wear out quickly, only moderate grip!

Bottom Line:
A slightly disappointing product. Not a patch on Panaracer regular tyres and far inferior to the excellent non-UST Fire XCs and Trailblasters I have used before. They are good as a UST product (i.e. don't flat or puncture and stay on the rim) but just not good as a TYRE (tread, cornering, longevity, etc). Come on Panaracer, you can do better.....

Favorite Trail:   Old Springs Trail, Marin, Ca

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgery, London, UK

Similar Products Used:   First tubeless tires used

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight A (2001 frame), Maxic Crossmax XL tubeless wheelset, XTR shifters and mechs, Race Face Turbine cranks and rings and XS BB, Fox Float 100mm RLC forks, Hope mini disc brakes, Easton carbon bar and seatpost, Race Face System stem

Submitted by Woodyak a Cross Country Rider from Rockport, MA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2003

Strengths:    None that I could remember

Weaknesses:    Don't hold air, tread wears out quickly. Terrible grip in wet muddy conditions.

Bottom Line:
I was hoping these would be a good trail tire but they are not. I used these tires for about 3 months before I gave up on them. The traction was terrible, It holed in 1 month and would not be patched, and it wore out very quickly. Do not get these tires.

Favorite Trail:   Ancient Line

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   UST Fire XC Pros, Hutch pythons, WTB stuff

Bike Setup:   Titus LocoMoto, Fox Talas, Avid discs, XT everything, yada yada

Submitted by Guy Spiher a Racer from winston salem

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2003

Strengths:    Grips a bit better than average, Big ass knobs really waffle the cat when he doesn't get outta the way in time -- Sorry Mojo the cat

Weaknesses:    These are my first foray into the tubeless thing and they were somewhat used already.it was interesting to note that they were already patched when I got them. RTV will work to patch them .Quiz time.What does RTV stand for??
Reduced Temperature Vulcanization.It seems to be the only thing that works. I flatted at a local park and got a ride back to my car by the friendly ranger. Embarresing. Better grip from other tires certainly. Squirmy sidewalls. GI Joe and the Kung - Fu grip could not get these babies on and off

Bottom Line:
Yeah there are times when these tires are better than the smaller knobbed tires such as the Contis and the large agressive knobs are good in the gnarly stuff, but man these things flat just looking at them and yeah they are a bastige to patch. RTV can and does work but why bother.Jeff Spahn further down in the reviews says use a hairdryer to dry out your tire. Okay Jeff tell me where I plug it in at.This should be interesting to say the least.There are better tires out there. If you just ordered these online then surely you should have done yourself a favor and visited this review site first.

Favorite Trail:   forbidden acres - Chris knows

Purchased At:   online transaction

Similar Products Used:   None Tubeless.. Conti Explorers and Mythos

Bike Setup:   custom steel hardtail Marathon Fork. Race Face and Moe's killer custom paint job.

Submitted by Ivan a Cross Country Rider from Pallejà, Spain

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to mount and dismount, good looking, and maybe no more else

Weaknesses:    They hasn't good grip on cornering, neither on climbing. Not reparable, but I tried with continental repairing kit, I have to see if it works.

Bottom Line:
I used IRC seracx and they have tones of more grip. In my second round, only for five kilometer, I had a big big puncture, may be from a rock. As Panaracer says in the instructions, now I have to leave them in the garbage because I had a puncture more than one milimiter. And I can swear I was very carefull with my wheels.
Go to traditional system, just carry one tube and some repairing kit.

Similar Products Used:   Irc Seracx on tubeless, tons of "ancient" tires

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula, Psylo XC, Magura Louise, Magura Pro Hubs, XT, Thomson, Chris King, FSA, and something else.

Submitted by Dick Stickum a Cross Country Rider from Bel Air

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2003

Strengths:    Good grip. Decent cornering.

Weaknesses:    Punctured both tires, front and back.

Bottom Line:
I switched to these from the no traction having Jets and really dug the traction. Though they flatted on the 3rd ride with pinhole punctures, I Slimed them and raced on them with no pressure loss. I found a little super glue on the outside of the puncture helps them heal quicker. I feel pretty confident on cornering with them. I say try them for yourself and ignore past reviews. I think for an all around XC tire they're good. I 'll write again if I have any significant problems with them in the future.
Peace.