Panaracer Fire XC UST Tubeless Tire

3.66/5 (44 Reviews)

The new Fire XC UST tire has all the standard Fire features along with even betteer shock absorption and grip. The Fire UST is for XC and freeride.

Submitted by D a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    Tough tread, holds air well, corners well so far I really like these tires.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I would recommend them to anyone wanting a good tubeless tire.

Favorite Trail:   Eastside

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Captain and Purgatory

Bike Setup:   FS Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by clydecrash a Cross Country Rider from Tucson AZ

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Strengths:    A good all-around tire. Doesn't do great at anything, but does good at everything (not ridden in mud, though). Easy to mount, airs up quickly.

Weaknesses:    Suspectible to rocks after it wears some. Doesn't hold air completely without sealant.

Bottom Line:
Does pretty well what the tubed version does (except that 120 tpi has a smoother ride). It mounts easily with a floor pump, but does not hold air well without sealant (OK with me because I always use sealant). I lost two of them to rock gashes that couldn't be repaired, and they still had 50% tread on them. As long as I can get them fairly cheap, will continue to use in the desert(though I am checking out similar tires as I find them for low prices).

Favorite Trail:   Tucson Mountains

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Tube version, Kenda nevegal/blue groove, Hutchinson barracuda, Geax's

Bike Setup:   4" fully, with good stuff

Submitted by pushstart a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2010

Strengths:    Relatively affordable, excellent all-around tire, seats easily to tubeless & conversion rims.

Weaknesses:    Not quite as nice (or light) as the non-UST versions.

Bottom Line:
These are really great "all-season" tires. I use them for XC racing in the summer and snow riding in the winter. They work well in mud and aren't bad at rolling in the dry. I suppose if you like changing tires a lot, then you probably could find more specialized versions; I like being able to just leave this set of tires on my bike until they wear out. For the tubeless aspect, they seat really easily (with floor pump & stans) on my Mavic 819 or 717 (yellow-tape conversion) rims.

I do agree that they're not quite as great as the non-UST version of the tire, but I've never had any issues with burping (I typically run at around 35 psi) or sidewall tears.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Similar Products Used:   Maxis Crossmax

Bike Setup:   Paired with Mavic XM819 (and XC717) rims.

Submitted by gpsman a Weekend Warrior from cagliari,sardinia,italy

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2008

Strengths:    lightweught, easy to mount,good for all kind of terrain except wet, fast on tarmac, good cornering.

Weaknesses:    They tend to wear fast, and,lately, to tear down fast.

Bottom Line:
after having been a faithful and satisfied customer for 3 years, lately my confidence about this tyres has fallen to zero.
& months ago I bought a pair, and on the very first ride the front tyre blew-up, after few more rides the rear tyre did the same.
I thought it was just bad luck or the rough terrain.
So I fixed them, after 3 months the rear collapsed again ( a 1/3 of inch cut).
I patched it again and continued to ride it until obviously It failed again.
I bought a brand new one for the rear wheel,yesterday went out for a ride, as I started the first descent, after 1 kilometer I heard a noise coming from the rear wheel, that was it, a 2 inch knife-like cut.I could not believe it, And I still can't.
I have ridden these tyres for almost 3 years without problems , what is it happening at Panaracer industries ?
did they make any change to the product, could it be only bad, bad luck?

Favorite Trail:   supramonte

Purchased At:   Zema shop olbia

Similar Products Used:   fire xc pro, fire dh.

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5 evp, talas rlc fork, Hayes disk brakes,manitou four way shock.

Submitted by Ed Lamperd a Cross Country Rider from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2008

Strengths:    Went on easy to tubeless rims

Weaknesses:    Not as good as the non-tubless Fire Pro's. wear is faster than both versons of Fire's. Ride is not as supple as the non-tubless. 40 psi and above to stop burping.

Bottom Line:
I purchased them on the strength of the normal Panaracer Fire's which i thought were best for the sort of riding I do, however burping and sidewall tears made me purchase the tubeless version. The tubless version must be kept above 40psi to stop burping. The rubber seems a harder compound, however has the added benefit of faster wear(?)
The tyre is just not supple and can not soak up any of the smaller hits. It also seems to have missed out on grip. The tyre seems narrow compared to the same sized non tubeless verson? Again adding to the above problems. Will not purchase again. It may suit riders in hard pack areas on groomed trails, but not the loose gravel that is in my area

Favorite Trail:   Kattamorda

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Nevagals, Maxxis, Huchi Barracuda's, Scopions & Pythons

Bike Setup:   Spec Epic with Mavic Cross max wheels

Submitted by marshall l from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2007

Strengths:    Good grip, corners well

Weaknesses:    Tread wear

Bottom Line:
I run Nevagal 2.3 on the front and Panaracer XC UST 2.1 on the rear. Traction has been good. expecially on dry loose rock. I have been able to clean some climbs that I couldn't before.

Tire is a bit narrow, especially compared to the Nevegal. corners well. Tread has worn quicker than I would have liked. I bought two of these and have replaced one after about 3 months of riding. Had some difficulty getting the tire to run tubeless on my x3.1 rims, but they've been fine on Crosslands. I run with Stans, but have had so many problems with tubeless in the past that I always carry a tube, just in case.

I think these tires are good value for the money. I'd buy them again if you can get a deal on them.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Pythons, Advantage, Kenda Nevagal

Bike Setup:   Giant VT

Submitted by Chad a Racer from Park City, UT

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2005

Strengths:    Great all around tire.

Weaknesses:    Wears a little faster than the non UST version

Bottom Line:
I have always been a fan of the Fire XC Pro. It is a great all around tire. Excellent on the braking, cornering and climbing. Yes, it is a little knobby to be running on hard pack, but you have to determine what is most important to you when riding all conditions. I have had no problems with the UST version with ripping sidewalls or air leaking. I always use Stans and have had no problems.

The sidewalls even stood up to a hard rock hit and the rim bent instead of the tire ripping.

I would highly recommend these tires. They are probably on the heavier side, but you also run less risk of ripping a sidewall, etc.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC Pro non UST. Panaracer Trailblaster

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element TSC. Built up frame with various components

Submitted by Big A a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins Colorado USA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2005

Strengths:    Grip and side knobs.

Weaknesses:    Sidewall tears

Bottom Line:
Great tire. Sticks to most everything. Biggest draw back is the sidewalls. I do run stans and had flats from punctures. I also had sidewall tears that no amount of stans or slime would fix. They wear really well and give good performance until they are about bald. I finally had to replace them when the insides had more patches then rubber. I will not run them again just because of the punctures and sidewall tears. I will they were tougher because I really like the tires.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Highrollers, IRC Mythos, Tons of non UST tires.

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR, Mavic X3.1 with Chris King hubs, Hope mini disks.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada!

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2005

Strengths:    Pretty fast roller . . . doesn't seem as fast as my Weirwolf combo but it may be due to my flabby a$$ after hibernating all winter. Good traction on rocks in the dry. Adds a nice feeling of plushness to the ride despite the small air volume.

Weaknesses:    Puny tire width - 2.1" just barely. Hardly any tire volume - especially compared to the allegdly same sized 2.1" clincher version - so it flatspotted my Mavic 819 rim hucking 4-1/2'. Wet traction sucks rocks. Hence the lower tire pressure and the resultant flatspotting. :<

Bottom Line:
Good traction in the dry on rocks and good rolling resistance. Tracks well enough in the dry. Squirelly handling through rock gardens because of puny tire volume. Not a good tire choice if you huck on the trail. Wet traction sucks. Not much of an improvement - if not a step backward - compared to my Weirwolf UST.

So far, all UST tires I've tried have sucked pretty badly. I don't know for sure why tire manufacturers won't release 2.3" - 2.5" tires (tire weight maybe given current materials technology and construction methods?) but I have a feeling a lot of my complaints are due to tire volume and size. I've had it with the current crop of UST tires. I'm going to use regular tires on my tubeless rims and fill them with Stan's to help keep them sealed.

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Weirwolf UST, FireXC Pro clincher tire, Maxxis High Roller, Weirwolf clincher, Kenda Kinetics, IRC Cujo DH, Maxxis Minion DH

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, 5.75" rear travel, 5th coil, Fox Vanilla 125R, Mavic 819 wheels on XT hubs

Submitted by Mark Terrill a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2005

Strengths:    Very good grip, predictable slidding, climbs well

Weaknesses:    easy to puncher, hard to patch punchers, high rolling resistance.

Bottom Line:
I like this tyre alot, But I'm racing again now & I find it is just to slow to race on, I would ride it all the time otherwise. It is the kind of tyre you can slide through corners on & you don't need to stop peddalling, because it is so predictable.

Similar Products Used:   serac, scorpions, mythos

Bike Setup:   NRS 1, Carbon, XT

Submitted by wim bosmans a Cross Country Rider from zoutleeuw

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2005

Strengths:    Grip in all conditions.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't hold air!! What is the use of great grip, when it just doesn't hold its air? Had to use eclips sealant to get it work. And after only 3 months a very big "bubble" appeared on the font tire, just like a balloon. Very humpy ride!

Bottom Line:
It's a piece of crap. Poor quality tire. Do NOT buy!!

Favorite Trail:   Aywaille

Purchased At:   Huypens

Similar Products Used:   Swalbe Jim UST

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle ZEN, Vth element shock, Manitou Black Super air, Mavic Crossland UST

Submitted by Frank Brigandi a Cross Country Rider from Havertown, Pa

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2004

Strengths:    I had heard some good things about this tire and decided to install them on my new '04 Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0. After installing them I did a quick urban assault ride, up and down a few flights of stairs, things like that. They are silly fast a good racing tire, much faster feeling than the Hutchinson pythons I had on the bike already. When i the woods, they seemed O.K. not nearly as good as the IRC Claw Comp in my opinion, which IMO is the best tire ever made for east coast riding. Fire XC seemed good on climbs unless you have to really torque the bike, it breaks traction easily and I didn't enjoy the wandering feeling it gave me when descending damp, slighty terrifying terrain, I have enough stress in my life and don't need any more grey hairs added to my head because of some MTB tires. On average they were O.K. not great.

Weaknesses:    Knobbs fold or flex too much, not enough bite. They slide off of burms, which personally, I don't enjoy doing. It's not as amazing as the IRC Claw Comp.

Bottom Line:
I probablly wouldn't reccomend them to a customer simply because I didn't feel confident on them I was sliding all over the place which I think makes for a bad day eventually. If some one wanted a racing tire and didn't care about slipping and sliding a little, then I'd say try them. Pytthons provide a better footprint which helps stabilize you and your bike. I don't get the whole move to skinny tires on Mountain bikes, everyone I ride with who uses skinny tires spends most of the day talking to their bike and trying to convince it to "stick". I thought I was weird because I like to talk to my dog once in a whie, but phew!
I'm running a full susension bike which enhances alot of things ( positively) in regard to trail rding/racing, but these tires made me want to go trash picking for my old Fisher Procaliber hardtail and slap on some Fisher fat trax, they felt more secure.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   biketopia 610-789-4500

Similar Products Used:   IRC Claw comp ( though not UST ) Hutch Python, too many other tires to list.

Bike Setup:   '04 Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0 stock except for a shorter stem and DH bars for comfort and control in twisty single track.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, CT USA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, wear slowly
Grip, plenty of traction when not overinflated (35psi is good)
Hold air very well

Weaknesses:    Must use Stan's, added weight , oh well
Special trick to patch correctly, read on

Bottom Line:
Very good XC tire. They wear well, took over a year to wear out a pair, I rotated them a little bit past mid-season becasue the rear wears faster than the front of course.
I have flatted these several times (low pressure and rock gardens) but the Stan's sealant has kept them from completely deflating.

The inner casing must be scrubbed clean of the oily release residue from the manufacturing process before patching. I use denatured alcohol and a green plastic scotch-brite pad, then clean with regular rubbing alcohol and make sure it's very dry. Roughen the area where it neeeds the patch, then patch it like you would a tube. Works every time, even right next to the kevlar bead!! I had 5 patches in the rear and 3 in the front when I fanally wore them out enough to get a new pair.

I won't switch tires unless something as good and cheap comes along. Buy them in pairs when they change model year, the price drops by half.

Purchased At:   pricepoint