Michelin XCR X-trem UST Tubeless Tire

Designed for cross-country racing, the new Michelin XCR X’trem takes a proven tread design and combines it with new Dual Compound technology. On high-speed downhills or relentless climbs, the high-tech rubber mix and large knobs of the XCR X’trem provide tenacious grip on most types of terrain.

Submitted by Mike Malinao a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    Absolutely NONE!

Weaknesses:    Everything! Way Too soft for any trails in California

Bottom Line:
These tires suck! There are ablsolutely no trails in California where these tires would be good! They're too soft, can not hold a line, end nobs break off. I had these tires for maybe 3 months and hated every ride with them. I went with Specialized Roll X 2bliss 2.2 in the front and Kenda 1.95 Small Block in the rear and man my confidence is BACK!!

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demo

Purchased At:   Sun Bike

Similar Products Used:   Michelin XCR AT, Panaracer Fire Pro XC, Hitchinson Python UST, Airlite UST

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur, XTR, Pushed FOX F100 RLC, Swinger 3 way, Crossmax SL, Hayes FX9 Carbon

Submitted by Christian Rode a Weekend Warrior from Wichita Falls

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2006

Strengths:    Light Weight, rolling resistence

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
These are my first tubeless tires. I followed the instructions thoroughly and they were still tough to install. Once on they felt really good on the trail. Very low rolling resistence and low weight for a tubeless. I only ride in the dry here in texas, so no comments about mud performance. Here is the downside.
The softer outside of the dual compound is too soft. I was losing knobs after the first ride on my average home trail. I'm neither a very hard racer nor free rider, just the average Joe, so I thought this shouldn't happen after just one ride. I have cuts and lost knobs everywhere on these tires, especially the rear. These are not mad efor durability, although the michelin webside says that. There is no warranty for michelin mtb tires, so I called them and they said to sent them in (now how long is that going to take, and I'm ending up buying new ones any way). So I going to try conti's next time. So far they are holding air OK. They just wear too quick. If you are a racer and change tires often, try em. If you look for a good pair of tires that will go with you for more than 500 miles, get something else.