Michelin Mountain X-trem UST Tubeless Tire

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)
Weight : 1100 grams

The Mountain X’trem has an appetite for speed. Ideal for full-suspension bikes, it delivers amazing traction thanks to a race-proven knob design. And in loose conditions, it’s simply phenomenal. A true pro-level tire that excels in extreme situations. If there’s a tire that loves adrenalin, it’s the Mountain X’trem.

Submitted by nestortuganestor a Cross Country Rider from miami

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2011

Strengths:    i've been using those tires for the last year and i love them i was looking for them about six months i have a giant trance and those tires work very good in this bike

Bottom Line:
when i am riding everybody look my bike so its different

Favorite Trail:   all terrain

Purchased At:   internet

Submitted by zahgurim a Downhiller from BC

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2009

Strengths:    cheap
long-lasting due to high durometer

Weaknesses:    wet rocks = death
easy to pinchflat the sidewall compared to a true DH tire

Bottom Line:
Great for dry conditions.
Hardpack, dusty, loose... handles them all until the ground gets wet. Then you die.

Submitted by ZipZip a Downhiller from NorCal

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2009

Strengths:    Heavy-duty UST casing. Grippy, corner well, good braking, cheap.

Weaknesses:    Uh...they're red. And they're heavy, but that's to be expected, given the casing.

Bottom Line:
The X'Trem is one of the few large (bigger than 2.35) UST tires. Props to Michelin for making a big UST tire with a heavy-duty casing. More companies need to get off their cans and do the same, because if you're still running tubes on a big bike...uh...well...you are dumb.

Having compared these head to head with Kenda Nevegals, I'm going to go with the Kendas. The Michelins aren't bad, but in loose conditions the Kendas (the Stick-E's in particular) have a higher level of grip and more predictability when on the limit of adhesion. That said, the Michelins seem to wear very well and roll better, plus they're cheaper.

Purchased At:   Some place on the in

Submitted by aika a Cross Country Rider from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2008

Strengths:    Great grip, good rolling resistance, awesome stability, actually round (lots of tires are put together not-so-round)

Weaknesses:    UST's can be tough to put on a rim if you don't know what you're doing- ask someone who does. And a little soapy water goes a LONG way.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend them wholeheartedly. I used Kenda Nevagals for a long time in really rocky to hardpack to loose shale, and thought no way would I ever switch. But when I got tubeless wheels, I figured what the hell. I tried the Michelins because not many others had, and I figured I'd check it out. I'm VERY glad I did. I got the 2.5 tire, which has a 2.5 casing, but the knobs don't stick out to the side as much as the Nevegals, so they look smaller. But the grip is just as tenacious. And they roll better. And they're lighter. And they're cheaper than the Nevegals. And they're tubeless, which means with a little Stan's inserted, they're near worry-free in terms of punctures. By the way, I ran this tire for a day without stan's, just ust, and as advertised, they hold air. The stan's is just an insurance policy for thorns. All said and done, this tire holds it in rock, loose gravel, pine needled trails, shale, everything. And does so well. I see no reason to go with anything else...unless you don't have tubeless rims, and don't want to convert your rims. For fifty bucks each, this tire is kind of a no-brainer- buy 'em!

Favorite Trail:   all of 'em

Purchased At:   universalcycles

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 2.5, panaracer fire xc pro, panaracer duster

Bike Setup:   '08 Turner RFX w/ rp23, 36 float rc2, Chris King 4x to mavic 823, x-9 componentry, juicy 7 brakes

Submitted by k1dude a Weekend Warrior from Norcal

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2008

Strengths:    Good grip. Great cornering. Fast. Predictable. High volume. Mount easily. Tough!

Weaknesses:    Heavy. No good for mud/wet or deep sand.

Bottom Line:
In dry conditions here in Northern California these are awesome tires. They are fast rolling, tough, have great grip and corner really well. They are my favorite performing tires. They are very predictable. They also seem to last. I've also had no problems getting them on my rims unlike many other tires I've tried.

The only drawbacks are weight (1100g for 2.5 UST) and color (red/black). Red is fine if you have red on your bike or your bike looks good with red. They make a grey/black version in 2.5 UST and tubed, but almost no one carries them for some odd reason. The red also winds up looking muted bubble-gum pinkish when dirty.

I imagine the weight penalty is why these tires are so tough though. The 2.5" is really more like 2.25". They might not be a true 2.5, but they sure look fat with all that volume. The tread knobs don't protrude way past the sidewall like most other tires. So that's probably why Michelin refers to them as 2.5's since they have more volume than many other tires that are labeled 2.5.

These might not be good for the east or northwest due to bad mud and wet conditions performance. They seem to pack the mud in between the close tread pattern. They have also slipped on wet roots/rocks. But since we rarely have wet weather, I haven't had that much opportunity to ride them in those conditions. So perhaps I'm being unfair in my appraisal of their wet/mud performance. They do seem to wallow a bit in deep sand though.

But overall, these are the best tires I have ridden in our conditions. But I still try other UST tires because I want a lighter weight than 1100g. I hate climbing so I don't want to lug extra weight if I don't have to.

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Barracuda, Kenda Nevegal, Maxxis Minion, Maxxis High Roller.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad. Marzocchi 66SL.