Michelin All Mountain UST Tubeless Tire

2.88/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 896 grams

Lightweight and fast, the new All Mountain incorporates Michelin Dual Compound technology. Suitable for cross-country racing or riding, the All Mountain offers the expert rider exceptional grip and performance on technical trails and helps you get the most from high-end suspension, brakes and wheels.

Submitted by justinwug a Cross Country Rider from michigan

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2008

Strengths:    weight

Weaknesses:    every thing else!! nobs are tearing off ofter one month, dont even ride if the trail is wet or even if you might go through a puddle. no good in sand.

Bottom Line:
tires are only good for a packed dry trail.

Favorite Trail:   for custer

Purchased At:   ?

Submitted by thomllama a Weekend Warrior from Old Lyme

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2008

Strengths:    Good traction, at first

Weaknesses:    tread material cracks, tares falls apart

Bottom Line:
tire was great at first.. very good traction, reasonable light weight.my WTB's I had the best traction with but the Kenda's were just SOO much lighter.. when I went to a UST rim ( got it on sale for less than the regular tubed rim...sooo) anyway I figured I'd use a UST tire at first, big mistake!! this thing is just falling apart. it's only 2 months old a with maybe 50 miles on it at most of the side knobs are gone, some are scary close to looking like they will rip trough to the inner liner... they got to go.

If I were racing and someone else was buying... I just might use... but not replacing tires this much!!

They were SOOO promising the first ride out!! now I can barely corner on them with out them sliding

Favorite Trail:   United States

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevgals, WTB Wierwolves

Bike Setup:   K2 XC apache 5.0

Submitted by Anid a Weekend Warrior from Buckinghamshire, UK

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Strengths:    Good grippy compound, reliable drift

Weaknesses:    no cut resistance, need to be stretched for first fitting

Bottom Line:
These tyres are not suitable for fitting on the back of a bike. It's a real shame as when fitted to both ends they give a well balanced feel. They're just too fragile and cut really badly leaving inch+ holes that sealant will never fill. The first one I returned to Michelin and they seemed to be very familiar with the problem and sent me a new tyre. The new one has only lasted half a dozen rides before failing big time again. Definitely not suitable for rides that are toofar to walk home

Favorite Trail:   MBR

Purchased At:   n/a

Similar Products Used:   Nokian, Panaracer, etc

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle Furt, Nixon forks, SRAM X9 and mavic 819 rims

Submitted by jeremy a Weekend Warrior from wa

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    seems to roll pretty well for its knoby profile,has withstood a lot of abuse, i weigh 190 and ride pretty agressively, it does well in everything from scree to mud. but does not exell in anything at the same time.

Weaknesses:    its more like a 2.1 than a 2.2, and feels like it has a pretty low air volume, is seems the tread is wearing in little chuks as aposed to evenly. if the rear tire locks up,(whitch is a no no, but it happens) it skids to the outside, and that bad ju ju when your riding beside a presipis.

Bottom Line:
this is a good tire for someone who likes to keep one tire on their bike all season, it does everything well and seems to be well build, i run specilized airlock sealant in it, and it will last the whole life of your tread, i still have it in my front maxxis high roller 2.35 and its on its second season, its an awsome tire. i find the high roller a better tire and the michelin for a rear if you run the high roller tread in the opposite direction.

Favorite Trail:   everyone

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   panaracer fire xc tubless, better tire than the michelin, exept mud shedding ability.

Bike Setup:   i use it in the rear, i would not recomend it for the front it washes out easy, the edge knobs a too spread out.

Submitted by Aaron Wixon a Cross Country Rider from Needham, MA, US

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Strengths:    Good grip around turns due to width, and looks great when new on a bike!

Weaknesses:    Overall, I'm not satisfied. After less than a month of mostly getting around town, and rarely on the trails due to the weather conditions, I've already gotten a flat from a big piece of glass, and a flat from a defective bead that constantly burped off of the rim.

Bottom Line:
I'm not happy with this product, but I may have gotten a defective tire. Within few weeks, I have gotten two flats, and surprisingly odd stress cracks which resemble dry rot even though It's been fairly moist and humid recently. The weight isn't ridiculous, but I don't feel nearly as fast with this tire mounted on the rear of my st's as I did with my second hand Hutchinson Pythons on a cheap and heavy UST wheelset. I'm not going to get another Michelin tire for a while considering the nasty experience my friend had with the XCR's he had mounted on his old Trek Liquid 10. I feel as if Michelin's bike tire division needs to invest more into their product research and development, rather than the marketing of their brand name as a way to sell under developed tires. I haven't made any obvious errors in the choice of tire I made and for what I use it for, the durometer rating, material, and tread pattern fit the bill. I may not be a lucky Michelin owner, but basing my opinion off of both this product and other branded UST tires, I am not currently a happy customer. 2 Chili's for value due to the $55 USD price and $48 USD employee purchase price, and for the length in which it had lasted. 2 Chili's overall due to the experience with this product, and the non-biased opinion I've formed which reflects negatively among previous experiences with this brand that both me and my friend have had to work through.

Purchased At:   International Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Michelin XCR mud, Maxxis Ignitor, Hutchinson New Python, IRC MutanoRaptor.

Bike Setup:   07 Intense 5.5 Gloss black w/ RP23, all the XC/AM goodies + Crossmax ST's, XTR components, Fox 32 Vanilla RLC - 28 Lbs

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Miramar, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2007

Strengths:    Great lookin tire. Lots of compliments. Great traction for XC riding. At 2.2, pretty good cushion.

Weaknesses:    None thus far.

Bottom Line:
Great Tire. Highly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   BikeTiresDirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tubeless.

Bike Setup:   2006 Giant Trance 1 with Race Face Dues, Shimano XTR/XT, Thompson stem/post, Easton Carbon Fiber, Hayes HFX 9 Carbon w/V7 rotors, WTB Rocket V saddle, Mavic Crossmax SL and Fox F100 RL/RP3.

Submitted by Richard Hague a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent durability, no punctures with the 12months i've had these tyres on

Weaknesses:    the tyre do suffer with loss of tractions in extreme muddy conditions but hey you can't have everything, especially in the UK when you have to sometimes ride through 6inches of mud.

Bottom Line:
pretty good tyres for all year round conditions, v.good reliablity and durablity and grip.

Even when the farmers have been cutting the edges and the thorns are in abundance