Maxxis Ignitor UST Tubeless Tire

3.48/5 (42 Reviews)
Weight : 635 grams MSRP : $72.99

The Ignitor tread pattern was designed for the most discerning professional racers and already has laid claim to multiple World Cup victories.

Submitted by TRChell

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2013

Strengths:    Ok tires, pretty good traction. Work well on tubeless

Weaknesses:    Very poor quality, I have had two of these blister after very minimal use.

Bottom Line:
I had one blister after maybe 200 miles. LBS said Maxxis would not replace. So I bought another. 2 months later another blister. Not safe to ride. I will never buy another Maxxis.

Submitted by rhiney a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2012

Strengths:    UST Bead seating. Performance.

Weaknesses:    Weight. Defect rate.

Bottom Line:
I love riding these tires. They have always hooked up well and seat perfectly on UST rims. I've ridden these tires, converted, since before the UST version. The problem is, enough is enough. I have owned a shop for the past three years and I've had at least five fail with blistering. Some warrantied, some not. Some with sealant, some not. If after several years of trouble with these tires Maxxis can continue to ignore and/or deny the problem, they absolutely do not deserve anyone's business.

Similar Products Used:   Schwalbe Nobby Nick UST.

Submitted by muttonmark a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2012

Strengths:    Grip on Front. Have yet to have them wash out on me. Seals great on Mavic Crossmax ST's.

Weaknesses:    Unless you can find it on sale somewhere-PRICE. Hense the low value and overall rating.

Bottom Line:
I live in Michigan, so most of the trails I ride are loose over soft and roots. I have yet to havve these wash out on me in two years. Used on both my FS and HT, I think I will make these my "go-to" front tire. I run it at around 30 PSI. I like it better than the Nevegals, and IRC Mythos that I have used in the past. Low rolling resistance, and pretty good wear(granted, its mostly soft stuff). A little tight getting them on my Crossmax's, but they have not lost any air in 2+ months.

Favorite Trail:   Arcadia Dunes, MI

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegals, IRC Mythos, WTB Exiwolf, Maxxis Advantage

Bike Setup:   BMC Fourstroke FS01 Carbon, Mavic Crossmax ST's, X-Fusion Front, Fox RP3 Rear.

Reynolds 853 Classic Hard Tail, Mavic Crossride Disc, X-Fusion Front.

Submitted by samorski a Weekend Warrior from Penticton

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2012

Strengths:    Worked fine when it was new on trips to Sedona and Moab.

Weaknesses:    It bubbled in 5 places after sitting for the winter. No sealant. Looking at other boards this is a delamination and a product flaw.

Bottom Line:
Defective, FAIL.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon

Submitted by dubdryver a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL US

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    Great grip, continous tread, fairly light.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest, not the greatest after large use on tarmac

Bottom Line:
First off let me say that I do not believe this tire would be good mounted on the back wheel. I have seen some bikes with it on the rear, it doesnt provide an optimal tread pattern for a rear tire.

That said, these things are beasts on the front! The lateral grip you get on these tires are amazing. You can push harder and faster into the corners. They have a very wide tread patter (2.3 UST model mounted) and they work very very well! They have a very sturdy sidewall, and provide a lot of confidence!

My current configuration for tires is Maxxis Ignitor LUST 2.3 front and Maxxis Larson TT UST 2.0 rear and it seems to be a pretty solid setup for AM/XC. They are not the lightest tire on the market but they do provide tons of grip and last a long time! I am going to change over the rear to a Crossmark UST 2.25 for a rear to see how that combination works, but I am sold on the Ignitor LUST, they perform great, just not meant for tarmac (road) at all.

Favorite Trail:   gilligans?

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Highroller, some Contis

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz XC, Fox F120 RLC, Truvativ 3.3 Stylo OCT, Mavic 819 w/ Hope pro II hubs DT Swiss spokes, SRAM X9 Drivetrain, Easton Monkeylite CF riser bars, Thompson Elite w/ Fizik Gobi XM.

Submitted by chapdog a Cross Country Rider from El Dorado Hills

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    Good low rolling resistance, descent traction when ran low psi

Weaknesses:    durability and braking. Ran in the rear the braking is just OK, not as good as other designs from WTB. Skinny tire for a 2.35

Bottom Line:
these tires are good for XC, roll well and accelerate nicely. But not good for all mountain or rock gardens if your bombing. I blew a hole in the middle of the tread on my first ride on anything that could be considered all mountain (culvert trail at Auburn). Would be good race tires for XC. But I'm going to something else for the fall/winter all mountain goodness. Maybe back to nevegals as I miss the braking power with those and the width.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   continental, wtb wolverine (non us, nevegals

Bike Setup:   2010 BLTc, king hs/hubs on 819's, XO

Submitted by Locomoto a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2009

Strengths:    Tubeless, pretty light.

Weaknesses:    Pretty skinny for a 2.35 and doesn't grip as well as the previous Nevegal 2.35 I was running. Recently rode at a ski resort with some rocky and technical downhill with some wet spot. This tire didn't brake worth a dang when it got a little slick or wet...it would just skid. Definitely would prefer more tread on the back and a wider tire for very aggressive riding.

Bottom Line:
Not my favorite tire. Needs to be wider and not enough grip for my taste.

Favorite Trail:   Downhill trails

Submitted by Oreich a Cross Country Rider from Nirit, Israel

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2009

Strengths:    Endurance and cross country grip

Weaknesses:    A bit slippery on rocks

Bottom Line:
Good tire, but would like to try an alternative

Favorite Trail:   Cross country

Submitted by phillygorilla a Weekend Warrior from Philly, PA USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    low rolling resistance
good braking
lots of grab in wet, rooty, rocky loose trail

Weaknesses:    I paid too much

Bottom Line:
I'm writing this review after taking the tires out once. I ride in the wissahickon (b/c it is in my backyard)- this year it has rained so much that everything is eroded and washed out- you largely have loose technical uphills b/c of all the rain. I bought this tire after the sidewalls on my panafire busted. It has rained for three days (5 inches in that time) and I took these out for the first time. I'm using a 2.1 on my back wheel. They consistently preformed better than my panafires in my usual trouble spots. Where I was usually spinning out on a dry day... I was hooking up with these on a wet slippery day. This tire is like old jenny smith from highschool... she hooked up with everyone and these tires provided great traction whenever I pushed the pedal down.

run these tires low and you'll be happy. Use in loose rooty conditions.
If you like panafires - these are better- lower rolling resistance and great traction.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Similar Products Used:   panafire xc

Bike Setup:   2002 specialized stumpjumper ht

Submitted by bordercollie1 a Racer from Sussex

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2009

Strengths:
This review is for the 2.1 LUST version.
This tyre is an all rounder. It does everything fairly well and it is very hard to find a tyre that will tick as many boxes as this one.
Very robust. One puncture (it was one hell of a thorn) that sealed with Stans.
Rolls very well. Much better than you would expect given it's profile.
Easy to go tubless with Stans strip and fluid on a 717 mavic rim.
Durable. Lasted for most of a summer on hardpack. Will probably do for some of next summer.
Good for braking. I was using a Crosmark on the rear so if I needed braking traction on anything wet or loose it had to go through the Ignitor.

Weaknesses:    I expected this to be a bigger volume tyre.
It holds wet clay for a long time before clearing. Much longer than the Crossmark on the rear.
Despite the LUST sidewalls, UST tyres do not run as fast as normal tyres with thinner sidewalls converted to tubless.

Bottom Line:
The thick sidewalls, smallish volume and centre tread give a quick steering feel which reminded me of a Onza Porcupine in the '90s.
This tyre would be my choice for a summer enduro ride where I did not know the course or terrain.

I ran this tyre for most of the summer at 35psi which was 'OK'
The day when I forgot to pump my tyres they rolled slightly faster but cornering and braking was MUCH better. I checked pressure when I got home (with an SKS instrument) and I had been running 29 pounds.

Favorite Trail:   South Downs Way

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Mud X 2.0, Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar with cross country set up; Magura Durin forks, Easton Monkey bar, XT kit.

Submitted by gt2brew a Cross Country Rider from Brick, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2009

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Blisters, Tire drifts and is narrow for a 2.35

Bottom Line:
Here is the deal. These tires are light, roll fast, lack side bite but are predictable. The problem I have with them is that I started to notice bubbles or blisters on my frt tire on one side only. These bubbles varied in size but I was uneasy about leaving this tire on the frt of my bike. The rear tire had no issues at all. I contacted Maxxis via e-mail and inquired if it was a reaction to the Stan's sealant I used...2 weeks later I get a reply directing me to a phone number for their warranty dept. I left 2 voice mails and have not gotten a reply in 3 weeks. I have always used Maxxis tires for my DH rig and loved them but I must say that I am truly disappointed with Maxxis over this issue. If I screwed the tire because of the Stans just say so and post something on your site like Kenda does.

Similar Products Used:   none...switched to Hutchinson

Bike Setup:   08 Turner RFX, Fox 36, Mavic XM819 w/Hope Pro2

Submitted by zakurka a Racer from Durango

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    Seals very easily using Stans kit. Agressive enough for tough uphill single speed grinds. Long life.

Weaknesses:    Expensive and getting slightly difficult to find in the 2.1.

Bottom Line:
These are great tires if you want to put one tire on your bike and ride varied terrain. They are easy to seal and very durable. I had no flats or issues until they were a year old and I punctured them with glass 15 min. before a race start. That could happen to any tire though. I sealed the hole with super glue, raced and continued to ride that tire for another 5 months before it was to worn to grip well anymore. I would say that these tires are the best I have ridden in loose over hardpack trail conditions, but honestly preform well under many scenarios. If you can afford them, I would highly recommend these tires for all levels of riding.

Favorite Trail:   All of em'

Purchased At:   LBS Prescott, AZ

Similar Products Used:   Easier to tell you I haven't tried Michelins or Tiogas. Thats about it.

Bike Setup:   Kelly Deluxe SS with Fox 80RLC Mavic hoops and Avid brakes.

Submitted by Ob1Hoagie a Weekend Warrior from Durango Hills, CO/AZ

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    - Grip
- Holds air well
- Works well with low air pressure
- Sidewalls hold up well in rocky environments... AZ !

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
The best loose over hardpack UST tire i've ever used. The tire just works awesome with Stan's Flow rims. ;-)

Favorite Trail:   All singletrack is good

Purchased At:   C&G Bikes

Similar Products Used:   You name it I've probably tried it...

Bike Setup:   '08 Spesh Enduro Expert.

Submitted by cb_rider a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2009

Strengths:    For front and rear these tires work great. Especially the front. They corner great and are very predictable. The rear digs pretty nice on climbs without too much uncontrollable skidding going down.

Weaknesses:    A little pricey—but isn't everything when you want (need) them now?

Bottom Line:
I lika-da way de roll. I'm gonna put 'em on my SS. Zip-meow.

Favorite Trail:   Reno-Flag-Bear-Deadmans (South) to Doctors