Maxxis CrossMark UST Tubeless Tire

3.78/5 (41 Reviews)
Weight : 690 grams MSRP : $59.99

The Crossmark is the dramatic evolution of the Cross Country racing tire.

Submitted by jing alonzo a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2013

Strengths:    For UST set up, tire will inflate without using a compressor.

Weaknesses:    Sealant is not recommended. In case of flat on a trail, you have to install a tube and repair it once you get home.

Bottom Line:
The most important for me is you dont need to use a compressor to inflate when you are in UST set up. Actually Maxxis only recommend hand pump for inflating. Tire and rim must be lubricated with soapy water before installation. Hope this tire is compatible also with stans sealant.

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   local lbs

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal UST 26x2.10

Bike Setup:   Merida 0ne twenty 3000D

Submitted by frank

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Strengths:    Great traction, good wear

Weaknesses:    If you use Stan's, BEWARE that your tire may blister (delam). This happened to me after I added it for the second time at about half life on the tire. I had no choice but to trash it. The Dude at the shop said it's happened before that Maxxis Lust has a chemical reaction with Stan's

Bottom Line:
Sweet tire for about the first 50 rides!

Submitted by Harold

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Strengths:    THESE TIRES ROAD WELL until the tire bubbled in different spots, both tires. I went back to the store were I bought these tires and they told me I must contact Maxxis. I sent Maxxis 3 emails and never got an answer. No sorry No nothing.

Weaknesses:    MAXXIS HAS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE! BECAUSE OF THIS I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND OR BUY MAXXIS TIRE OR ANY PRODUCT.

Bottom Line:
IF YOU BUY MAXXIS AND THE PRODUCT IS POORLY CONTRUCTED YOUR IN BAD SHAPE CAUSE MAXXIS DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. I EMAILED 3 TIME NO RESPONSE!

Submitted by sibba a All Mountain Rider from taft, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2012

Strengths:    This tire is outstanding for climbing. Seated or Standing it grips well in the dry loose conditions near Bakersfield, Ca.

Weaknesses:    This tire would not hold air while tubeless. I tried different pressures, I had it sealed well, everything that needed to be done to a tubeless tire. I could not get it to stop burping out air, which would lead to flat tires. I added tubes, no flats. The other problem is both of my tires have somehow twisted out of shape. The first one I thought was my wheel. Took it to the bike shop and we realized it was just the tire. We moved it to the front and some of wobble was gone but still noticeable. Last night on the trail I bunny hopped a rut and it was much more extreme. I thought I had bent my rim. No, same thing rim straight, tire weird. Needless to say I am finished with these tires. Going back to my old stand by Panaracer fire 2.4. Was really hoping tubeless would be cool. Ended up a bad trip.

Bottom Line:
Needless to say I am finished with these tires. Going back to my old stand by Panaracer fire 2.4. Was really hoping tubeless would be cool. Ended up a bad trip. Not willing to spend more on something I am not sure of hard to return a tire but I'm going to try.

Purchased At:   Fezzarri

Similar Products Used:   None, not willing to spend more on something I am not sure of.

Bike Setup:   Fezzarri Nebo Peak

Submitted by markierausch a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2011

Strengths:    Outrageously fast-rolling tire. I am currently running the 2.25 as a rear with a 2.4 Ardent on the front. I couldn't be more pleased with the setup. The tread holds well during climbs and is surprisingly grippy in the loose-over-hard conditions that dominate nearly every trail in the front range.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet.

Bottom Line:
If you ride primarily hard-packed trails and stay away from the mud, these tires are hard to beat. Their rolling resistance is so low it feels like cheating compared to the Ignitor I previously had mounted on my rear wheel and their climbing traction is unbeatable for a tire that rolls so fast. If you notice slippage problems during climbs, try mounting the tire backwards so the ramped knobs are pointing the other way. This will slightly increase rolling resistance but will dramatically increase grip.

Favorite Trail:   Apex

Similar Products Used:   Larsen TT, Ignitor, Nevegal

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance Advanced SL

Submitted by Quibbly a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to install on Mavic 819 without compressor. Smooth ride on hard pack and gravel. No problems on roots and rocks.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Great tire if your tubeless. Stans no required. Went up and downs hills like a dream. BUY THEM!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Stephen F. Austin

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski

Bike Setup:   2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert. Mavic 819 Rims with Hadley Hubs

Submitted by fatboyone a Cross Country Rider from Fullerton, Ca. US

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    Holds up well, no signs of quick wearing

Weaknesses:    Size's are small compared to other tires

Bottom Line:
I mounted the tire & filled with Stans and the tire has been great. I run it on the back with a UST Highroller up front. I run various pressures depending on the terrain and there have been no issues. I was skeptical at first, because of the issues with Stans, but no issues here.

Favorite Trail:   North Ridge - Chino

Purchased At:   Fullerton Bike

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, Intense, Bontragger JonesXR

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX

Submitted by Uncle_Mike a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    Fast rolling, durable, good general performer. Holds air well.

Weaknesses:    Can have lateral slip in certain conditions

Bottom Line:
OK, I used it for only a month but rode about 800 kms on all kinds of conditions - tested on the front only. I weigh 195 lbs and ran about 35 lbs of pressure.
I read and heard a lot of reviews of how this tire would slip out and wasn't great on the corners. I also have a few friends running this 2.1 on the front with Larson TT on the back, who raved about it, so opted to try it on my race rig. After having no issue over a weekend at Kingdom Trails VT in wet conditions, I used this tire at the 2010 Crank The Shield 3 day, 250 km stage race. The conditions were terrible - mud slop mostly but also sections of fireroad and road. Amazingly this tire did quite well, but let's face it - it wasn't a wet conditions tire. If you are a good bike handler you can get through anything with this but compared to other tires tried, I did note that the right type of mud or diagonal root can take you down fast. I found myself sliding this tire through sections and was cautious as it would slip laterally in certain conditions - particular in ruts and over roots . My race partner had a Nevegal and didn't experience this to the same degree. On gravel, dirt and some types of mud it was very good and dependable. It isn't light but a very good balance of weight and robustness for a rider of my size. So, I would recommend it as a good endurance race tire but not for east coast style trail riding where a little extra knobs will keep the rubber side down.

Similar Products Used:   Python, Fastraks, Geax Mescal, Larson TT, Specialized Captain, and many many others

Bike Setup:   2010 Intense Spider 2, XO drive, Crossmax SLR, Thomson, Chris King, etc...

Submitted by eschew a Cross Country Rider from LA, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2010

Strengths:    Great Rolling Resistance. Decent Cornering.

Weaknesses:    Sidewall Strength

Bottom Line:
Like em, BUT the LUST is very weak. The sidewall tore on me when the back tire went into a bit of a rut on a super mild part of the trail. I wished I was could say I was doing some crazy maneuvering, but honestly I was just chillin and riding slow. I was not running them super low either. I really liked them, but feel like the sidewall strength was weaker that expected. I bought a Nevegal and like it. It rolls and does not get globbed up with dirt like the crossmark.

Favorite Trail:   Marshall Canyon, Big Bear

Similar Products Used:   Nevegals. Tiogas.

Submitted by paule915 a Racer from El Paso, TX

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2010

Strengths:    Fast..smooth..durable..corner great..predictable..when run at 25-28psi with Stans sealant

Weaknesses:    Wet roots, wet rocks

Bottom Line:
Love these tires out here in El Paso TX... Our trails are vicious, everything from baby head rocks, gravel double track, slickrock single track, and some gnarly gut wrenching climbs and descents around some wicked cliffs...these tires have never let me down traction wise, cornering with these is precise and hooks up great point n shoot really...no issues with punctures, have lost a sidewall due to jagged rock and over inflation, but rider error to blame... Love them. Worth the money... I usually get between 350-450 miles out of a rear, and a good 800 out of the front tire before I see slippage issues... Just got a new rear today. Love them..

Favorite Trail:   Lazy Cow, G.I Joe, Puddin Pass...etc..

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Company

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager jones XR, various other maxxis

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel 8.0, lots of goodies

Submitted by Sheffie a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2010

Strengths:    This tire really corners well in the loose sand and rock for not having much tread. The crossmark additionally rolls like a champ, feels like a road tire sometimes. I purchased these tires specifically to use in the Leadville 100 because of the rolling resistance and the conditions I will be racing. After taking them out a few times I feel like I could use them on many trails in Colorado.

Weaknesses:    Tire selection is all about where you are riding. These tires are obviously not designed for the porcupine trail in MOAB. They don't love the really deep sand and I don't know how they will hold up in wet conditions yet?

Bottom Line:
This tire is really nice for the trails and conditions I ride out here in Colorado. This will be my tire of choice for really long cross country type rides and especially any rides involving hard pack dirt or pavement. Just like anything else, these are some tires you pull out of your quiver for the right conditions and purpose.

Favorite Trail:   Falcon Trail

Purchased At:   ebikestop.com

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal
Maxxis Ignitor

Bike Setup:   Trek Full Suspension

Submitted by jlpxc a Cross Country Rider from Central PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    Tread seems pretty durable

Weaknesses:    traction

Bottom Line:
Seems like a decent tire for railtrails. But it is completely lame in the PA rocks. Even on fast smooth trails like Raystown Lake it breaks loose on the smallest climbs.

Similar Products Used:   none this lame

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element 70. Maxxis Ignitor on the Front, lame Crossmark on the rear.

Submitted by Inyokerntom a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2010

Strengths:    Rolls fast, light for a UST. Much more traction than I would expect from a CC race tire. For the past 5 weeks, I have been riding a lot of rocky terrain in Northern Colorado with the Crossmark in the rear and a Mountain King in front. The Crossmark worked great and did not show damage due to rock cuts and rock impacts.

Weaknesses:    None utill I developed bubbles in the tread. This occured about 6 weeks after adding Stan's sealant so I don't know if the fault was the tire or the sealant. The tire had lots of tread left, I put in a tube and finished the ride.

Bottom Line:
The Crossmarks came stock on the Rush 2. I think I will now put the other Crossmark on, try Stan's again and see what happens. I hope the separation problem was just a fluke as I like the tire.

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush 2. Conti mountain king on front and crossmark in rear - both with Stan's

Submitted by ringo a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Strengths:    rolls fast, predictable handling, corners well, reasonably light, fairly robust

Weaknesses:    not great on wet roots and rocks (but not terrible)

Bottom Line:
I've used the Crossmarks in UST and non-UST, 2.1 and 2.25, front and rear. They are probably my favourite tyre for all round trail riding in rocky conditions and hardpack, except for the middle of winter. They are predictable in handling and cornering, grip well, and do pretty much everything you ask of them. I have used them in a four day stage race in all manner of conditions, through rivers, thick mud, shingly mountain descents and ascents, and they never skipped a beat. I was very pleasantly surprised and it made me realise how good these tyres are. I sometimes try new tyres and keep coming back to these.

They are not fabulous in wet roots or slippery rocks but few tyres are except for very soft compounds that have their own trade-offs.

They also seat very well on tubeless rims without a compressor, which isn't always the case.