Kenda Small Block Eight UST Tubeless Tire

3.86/5 (14 Reviews)
Weight : 805 grams MSRP : $33.98

The Kenda Small Block Eight UST 2.1 excellent hard pack XC race tire 8 Nevegal shaped but smaller knobs across the tire for better 'bite'. DTC - Dual Tread Compound offers cornering grip with faster center line acceleration. One of the fastest rolling tires in the Kenda Premium line.

Submitted by Pedro a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2013

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    bad grip, can't be patched, develops kinks and bumps

Bottom Line:
This tires' grip for general xc use is terrible, will hamper your climbing ability on loose terrain, will make you fall on corners, they will diminish your handling skills. They are just not a "smart" product..
After paying retail, I used them till they busted. This review is how I can pay Kenda back

Similar Products Used:   hutchinson python, good, wtb nanoraptor, v.good, many others, this sm8 has the worst grip of them all

Bike Setup:   xc, 120mm

Submitted by Ob1Hoagie a Weekend Warrior from AZ

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2011

Strengths:    - Good sidewall strength.
- Can run at VERY low air pressure.
- Works great with Stan's, no delamination issues.
- Great traction in the desert.

Weaknesses:    - Weight ? But I'm not a weight weenie.

Bottom Line:
Awesome tires ! With Stan's mounted on a ZTR Flow rim the tire just rocks in the desert and is able to handle all of the nasty stuff that the desert can throw at a tire.

Favorite Trail:   All Singletrack is good

Similar Products Used:   Too many to remember...

Bike Setup:   Ibis with lots of Mojo ! ;-)

Submitted by stanley a Cross Country Rider from moorestown, nj, USA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2010

Strengths:    I have the Kenda small block, dual tread compound, mounted on a Cannondale F9. The tires are plagued with flats. My family rides the typical low end Schwinns without every having a tire problem. When we ride together I'm always having to stop for repair. My local bike store looked carefully for nicks, tears, etc. The tire is exceedingly thin and I would not recommend it. Adding insult to injury, its not easy communicating with Kenda. Its takes a week for them to respond to a question. They have no customer service and as a result I told them my confidence in their company has shattered.

Weaknesses:    I have the Kenda small block, dual tread compound, mounted on a Cannondale F9. The tires are plagued with flats. My family rides the typical low end Schwinns without every having a tire problem. When we ride together I'm always having to stop for repair. My local bike store looked carefully for nicks, tears, etc. The tire is exceedingly thin and I would not recommend it. Adding insult to injury, its not easy communicating with Kenda. Its takes a week for them to respond to a question. They have no customer service and as a result I told them my confidence in their company has shattered.

Favorite Trail:   yikes

Purchased At:   Mount Holly Bike

Similar Products Used:   I have the Kenda small block, dual tread compound, mounted on a Cannondale F9. The tires are plagued with flats. My family rides the typical low end Schwinns without every having a tire problem. When we ride together I'm always having to stop for repair. My local bike store looked carefully for nicks, tears, etc. The tire is exceedingly thin and I would not recommend it. Adding insult to injury, its not easy communicating with Kenda. Its takes a week for them to respond to a question. They have no customer service and as a result I told them my confidence in their company has shattered.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F9

Submitted by Sonoran_Flyer a Cross Country Rider from Tucson

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2009

Strengths:    Excellant as a rear tire. Great traction in loose over hard pack in the desert. Great climbing traction.

Weaknesses:    Traction is a little weak in areas with large loose rock.

Bottom Line:
This is my favorite rear tire in the 2.1" size. I run it at 34 lbs gives excellant traction and is a fast tire.

Favorite Trail:   50yr

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper hard-tail, Mavic xm819

Submitted by tom a Cross Country Rider from Montrose,Co,usa

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2009

Strengths:    light and fast

Weaknesses:    bounce/slide around in rocks -spin a little when clmbing in big rocks

Bottom Line:
Have only ridden this tire x 2 (on the back) but I'm amazed how well it grips riding desert gravel and sand-corners great with an ocasional slight slide- I have a nevgal up front and would feeel insecure puting this up there

Favorite Trail:   monarch crest or porcupine

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   nevgal

Bike Setup:   yeti 575-xt- easton havoc wheelset

Submitted by angelotrek a Weekend Warrior from los angeles, ca us

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2009

Strengths:    low rolling resistance, grips great,and brakes well. i chose this tire because i liked the tread pattern and the casing looked like a true 2.1.

Weaknesses:    none so far. will update review later under wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
i was looking for a fast rolling 2.1 rear tire that would grip and brake well because i'm a heavy guy. did alot of researched and it came down to this tire. i'm amazed with the overall performance of this tire!

Favorite Trail:   rocky peak

Purchased At:   fullerton bike shop

Similar Products Used:   specialized captains(ripped four rear tires in three months, last two were armadillo's) panaracer fire x/c(too skinny for me @235lbs)

Bike Setup:   2008 specialized stumpjumper pro frame, custom build. fox f-series 120, shimano/sram drivetrain, avid juicy seven, mavic xm819.

Submitted by Angel a Downhiller from Sacramento, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2009

Strengths:    Nice tread design, good on the street and on the dirt

Weaknesses:    Little slipping in wetter conditions(as expected)

Bottom Line:
These tired are awesome. I ride a lot on the street and some on the dirt. Whatever I am doing they do well. In real slick conditions (like after a heavy rain) they do get a little slick in the mudd, but what doesnt, It all on the rider and I for on eam enjoying these tires. A little expensive but seem to be paying off for me!!!

Favorite Trail:   Downtown

Purchased At:   Bobs Cycle Center

Bike Setup:   Azonic Steel Head Frame, Fox shocks,

Submitted by Iwan a Weekend Warrior from South AFrica

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    Fast.

Weaknesses:    Not a mud/winter tyre, but it was never meant to be.

Bottom Line:
Great summer / hard-pack / race tyre. Fast with enough grip to give me confidence

Favorite Trail:   Tokai / Harkerville

Purchased At:   Cycle Factory Store

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Maxxis, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Used on Racer-X, Moto-Lite and Ibis Mojo SL

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    Man, these tires are scary fast! They don't have as much grip as others I have used but it just makes your ride a little bit more interesting.

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
So far so good. Super fast, good cornering( only used on hardpack and some loose over hardpack) Initial bite when hard braking is o.k, but then the rear locks up fairly easy. I'm loving the speed!

Favorite Trail:   any one!

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F2000, Lefty, mavic rims, LX-XT plus kenda small block 8's

Submitted by Popo a Weekend Warrior from Namibia

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent traction in rocky conditions; very good handling; very low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    None so far, but probably won't work well in wet and muddy conditions as the small tread will block up easily

Bottom Line:
Great tire. Will have to wait and see about durability and resistance to sidewall damage.

Favorite Trail:   Eros Mtns

Purchased At:   Cycle Wholesalers

Similar Products Used:   Continentals; Maxxis; Michelins;

Bike Setup:   Giant Talon XT/LX

Submitted by Ozigreg a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane Qld Australia

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    Seems very fast rolling and predictable sliding/ handling charateristics.

Very durable over rocks.

Weaknesses:    Skids quite easily when under brakes, even when a small amount of brake is applied, however this is not a bad thing as it make u ride smoother, faster and with even less brakes.

Clogs up very badly in muddy conditions.

Bottom Line:
I really like this tyre and would fully recommend it. Tread pattern rolls quite fast and I have used this tyre on the back of 2 bike set ups through some very rocky terrain and also fast flowing hardpack.

As a rear tyre is does skid and slide much more than say a Kenda Blue Grove. Skidding under brakes as mentioned above on loose over hardpack. Sliding with no brakes when railing a corner, it seems very predictable and lets go gently to allow nice drifting. The tyre doesn't just fully let go, making u crash but just a gradual slide that comes back nicely as you exit the corner.

In summary, very fast rolling, durable and fast cornering on the back.

Favorite Trail:   Daisy Hill

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Karma, Nevagals, Blue Grove, Geax Sturdy, Maxis Larsen, High Roller....

Bike Setup:   Used on the rear of both a On One Inbred single speed all mountain set up and a On One Scandal XC race bike.

Submitted by Soaztim a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, az

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2008

Strengths:    Rolling resistance, grip

Weaknesses:    cornering

Bottom Line:
I bought this tire and was worried about the grip being such a mild tread patter. I ride dusty, sandy dry trails every day. I installed the tire backwards accidentally. After trying it both directions I LOVE it backwards. The grip is amazing. Just stay in the saddle and it won't hardly spin going up sandy silty slick uphills.
I'm amazed. Such a mild tread pattern, but so much grip!
I'm hooked on running it backwards.
Now to find a front tire that works well.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100 area, but not trail 100. All of the many side trails

Purchased At:   bicycle showcase

Bike Setup:   kenda small block 8 in the rear and specialized in the front

Submitted by Eric Nedzi a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2007

Strengths:    Very fast rolling, seems light compared to other cross country tires, corners well, great on hard pack and fire roads

Weaknesses:    Tendency to skid

Bottom Line:
Great fast tire for dry cross country in the bay area. This is made for specific uses. For hard pack, fire road and very mild loose pack this is one fast tire for cross country. I think it is a great fit for summer time cross country races when the trails are dry. I got this after I raced the cougar mountain in July-07 which is almost all hard pack or road. The guy at the booth said is was the fastest cross country tire and that allot of cross country racers use it. FYI those tire booths at races have great deals it is a great place to buy tire at 40% off.

As I said this is for specific uses so I am trying to find Kenda Negal to put on now that is has started to get muddy. The small block 8 is probably not a good fit if you encounter mud on a consistent basis. The traction is actually OK in the mud but it retains allot of mud in the treads.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord