IRC Serac XC UST Tire Tubeless Tire

3.99/5 (70 Reviews)

Here's an unfair advantage that will still pass the urine test. Picture this: super low rolling resistance, light casing, sticky Hybrid Tread Compound AND the ultimate traction adjustability and flat protection of tubeless technology. If you're the competition be afraid. Very afraid. Click on the image to the left for an enlarged photo showing tread detail and related product specifications.

Submitted by crisco a Cross Country Rider from Northern NM

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2011

Strengths:    No problems with flatting, held air.

Weaknesses:    Not confidence-inspiring while cornering (front), poor traction (rear).

Bottom Line:
I'm a 6'4", 185lb rider in the southwest US. For this type of riding (loose rocks, sand, roots, etc) i was very unhappy with these tires. I never really found a situation where these excelled. The only thing i have not put them through is mud, but in everything else they sucked.

While cornering they felt like they were going to wash out, and they did occasionally. In the rear they had trouble gripping even while seated, but especially if standing. They wander in the sand. I have never really had a set of tires that i "hated", but these were definitely moving in that direction.

Took these off and put on a set of Weirwolves and i've been learning to ride all over again--this time without fear of washing out in the corners.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   FireXC, Weir Wolves

Bike Setup:   '06 Blur, full XO/XTR

Submitted by orekizler a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2011

Strengths:    Holds air extremely well. Doesn't wear quick. Good all around tire.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy for a 2.1 UST tire. Skinnier compared to other brands 2.1.

Bottom Line:
Long lasting tires with a good pattern design. They offer good handling at the front. I didn't get good traction out off them at the back mostly during off the saddle climbing.
Feels a little scary on very hard pack surface.
Strong casing and sidewalls. Never had to repair them in 2 seasons.

About mounting: They are a little snug like any other UST tire. You can't expect to slip them on just by hand. With the help of two tire levers it shouldn't be a problem. They hold better than any other. They seal very quick with the sealant.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolf. Race King.

Submitted by gearjunkie88 a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2010

Strengths:    No leaks, strong sidewalls, good traction, no flats

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest tire or fastest tire

Bottom Line:
I first used these tires when they came stock on my 2002 Gary Fisher Paragon hardtail. I have used them on every bike I've owned since then. I'm an adventure racer, so most of my riding is on fire roads, dirt roads, paved roads, and some singletrack. The singletrack here in San Antonio is really rocky. I've also been known to accidentally ride through a cactus or two in my day. Since I started using these tires in 2002, I have NEVER had a flat or torn a sidewall. I've watched teammates destroy Pythons, Bontrager tires, and Maxxis tires in the same spots that I've ridden through. The Serac XC UST tires aren't the lightest tires, not the lowest rolling resistant tires, and they're not the grippiest tires on the market, but I've never had to repair a tire on the trail or walk home. They work well on hardpack, loose over hardpack, roads, rocks, and mud. It's nice having the peace of mind that I can just go ride without worrying about tire issues.

Bike Setup:   Titus X, Crossmax SL wheelset, IRC Serac XC UST tires, Stan's

Submitted by icuski2 a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2009

Strengths:    Good value, pretty light, corner well

Weaknesses:    tight to mount

Bottom Line:
Not a bad choice if you can find a deal on em. Tread lasted about a year & just rotated front to back to squeeze few more miles out ov em. No complaints. Not as good as the Weirwolf's but way better than the Scorpion Lights.

Favorite Trail:   One under my tires

Purchased At:   Pricepoint (I think)

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Scorpion Light, WTB Weirwolfs, stock Specialized

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Sworks

Submitted by Wankel7 a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    Great traction, corners well, low rolling resistance, UST holds air great.

Weaknesses:    Installation and Moab Slickrock really wore the rear tire down (could be normal it was my first time out there)

Bottom Line:
Trying to get these tires on my Bontrager Racelite wheels was by far the most traumatic bike experience I have ever had. It was unbelievable how hard it was to get these damn things shoehorned onto my rims. I wasted so much Stans fluid because it was leaking out while I was trying to pry, curse, and wondering if they would ever go on. I had to use my air compressor turned up to about 80psi to get them to seat.

I had a valve stem break and I had to tube them. The bead did not seat right and the tire would wobble. Rode like that for over 20 miles and it held. Fixed the stem and pulled the tube out and the bead seated evenly.

I really like the tire but the difficulty of installation might make me avoid the tire.

However, they have stretched a little bit. Because getting them back on wasn't nearly as bad.

Favorite Trail:   Rainbow Trail

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Crossmark UST

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 98

Submitted by emptyvoxel a Weekend Warrior from Bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2009

Strengths:    Predictable traction, roll great, tough for such a light tire.

Weaknesses:    Installation is a bit more difficult than with other UST tires. As the previous reviewer said, when riding over pavement these things resonate straight up your seatpost.

Bottom Line:
The IRC Serac XC is the best rear tire I've tried, with predictable grip in the wide variety of conditions we have here in the Pacific Northwest. I've found it to roll faster and grip better in soft, loamy soil and mud then the Kenda Nevegal that it replaced. Running the pressure in the low 30's gives excellent traction over wet roots and rocks as well.
Riding to the trailhead is definitely more interesting due to the resonating vibration that will travel up your seatpost if you use this as a rear tire, but you didn't buy a mountain bike to ride on pavement, do you?
These seem to be a bit tighter than other UST tires to mount, but stick with it! It's well worth the effort. I was able to seat the beads with a floor pump and plenty of suds.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal, Maxxis Crossmark, Maxxis Ignitor

Bike Setup:   Custom IH Azure

Submitted by gatormark91 a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2008

Bottom Line:
I reviewed these when I got them, so I figure I'll follow up now that I've been riding them for 6 months.

These tires are awesome. They roll over almost anything, suck the shock out of hits, and float over sugar sand that my lighter buddies running non-UST tires bog down in. I run them at about 37 psi. I am a big guy, and I have had to nothing to them in 6 months except put a few pounds of air in every month or so. I've had no flats, and they are wearing very well.

There are a few paved trails where I ride, if you ride any pavement, be forewarned, the knobs on these tires set up a resonant vibration at speed that will drive you mad. But I don't get on pavement much, so its no concern to me.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

see my review below for my experience mounting these (not hard at all)

Favorite Trail:   Santos

. Traction
. Security
. Control

Weaknesses:    . Aren't so plush

Bottom Line:
This is my best tire ever, my buddies told me that they ride with Serac since they came out and don't trade for anything. Another friend trade the Roll X/Adrenaline combo and tells amazings about Serac, so this was my time to test them and what a fantastic tire better than Schwalbe NN 2.25 !!!

Similar Products Used:   Michelin XLS, Hutch Spider 2.1, Conti Vertical 2.3, Schwalbe NN 2.25 (all UST)

Bike Setup:   Santacruz BLT'05 XTR/X0, Crossmax XL, Thomson, Easton CNT, Formula Oro Puro

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from North Augusta, SC

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2008

Strengths:    These corner like you are on rails!

Weaknesses:    Hmmmmm...None.

Bottom Line:
I had been using Stan's No-Tubes for a year or so on non-UST wheelsets, and decided to step up to the plate and go full UST this year. I bought a Shimano XT UST wheelset for the wife and then came across a killer deal on some '08 XTR UST wheels. Tried various Michelin tires, then some Maxxis, and then these IRC Seracs in 2.10.

WOW! These tires are all that! They rail corners and roll like nobody's business. I had absolutely no problems mounting them. Granted, they are tight as heck, and are not as easy as tubed tires, but they are mountable by mere mortals. After I mounted them, they pressurized using a floor pump. They do not lose air at all.

I have been so impressed that I am getting a set in size 1.95 for my wife. She doesn't need quite the volume as I do, and they'll be perfect for her Yeti AS-Rsl.

I am sold!

Favorite Trail:   FATS

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Numerous Michelin, IRC and Kenda tires, tubed and tubeless.

Bike Setup:   Spec. Stumpy FSR Expert

Submitted by scott bays a Cross Country Rider from charleston, sc

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2008

Strengths:    reasonably light, good traction, good price (2 for $60), durable.

Weaknesses:    a little harder than other tires to install on my crossmax wheels, but not that bad.

Bottom Line:
nothing add from above.

Favorite Trail:   oak mt., alabama

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   many tubed and tubless

Bike Setup:   merlin works 4.0

Submitted by Shawn a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2008

Strengths:    Great tread design, fast rolling with strong bite while cornering due to sturdy side knobs. Lightwieght for tubeless.

Weaknesses:    Nothing really. Maybe that I can't get them for free.

Bottom Line:
A great tire. Usually good for a season of riding in Northern Utah where its mostly dry hardpack for the better parts of the season. Rolls fast, great grip for climbing which is essential for an XC rider in Utah. Braking traction and cornering are spot on. I have seen the complaints about mounting, but that has not been my experience. (Want a hard tire to mount - try the Mibros!) I don't run Stans or other juice in the tire and didn't encounter many flats. Used superglue and a hand pump to quick fix the occasional small puncture.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mibro UST

Bike Setup:   Ventana Pantera, Marzocchi MX Pro ETA, XT shifters/levers, Avid Juicy 7's, Easton Cockpit, Mavic Crossmax Enduro Disc, Terry Fly Saddle

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2008

Bottom Line:
I just installed these, haven't had a chance to ride them yet. But to those who say these are hard to mount, I'm sorry, but it is your technique, you are doing something wrong!!! I am a newbie to working on my bike, and have mounted up exactly 4 tires, of which 2 were these IRCs.

I mounted these with some soap and 2 cheap tire levers on my new Crossmax's (which one self-professed expert says below is IMPOSSIBLE) in about 1 hour start to finish.

I will say this, though... Once on the rim, the beads didn't want to seat until I aired them up with an air compressor. A manual pump just wasn't doing the trick... It just sputtered and leaked Stan's! I just set my compressor to 40psi, aired them up, and - POP, POP, POP - the beads set in...

Looking forward to riding these this weekend!!! So far, 5 chilis...

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Pricpoint

Bike Setup:   '05 Jamis Dakar XC Expert w/Crossmax's

Submitted by Andrew Young a Cross Country Rider from Roswell, Ga. USA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2007

Strengths:    Handling, tracking, braking and rolling resistance in medium to loose conditions.

Weaknesses:    Wear resistance.

Bottom Line:
These are, by far, the best tires I've ever ridden. These are well suited to North Georgia. They handle medium to loose terrain with ease and always seem to keep me in control, even when I'm overcooking it through a fast corner. They perform just fine on hardpack as well, but will wear out quickly in these conditions. These are soft compound tires however, so I don't expect them to hold up to hardpack, and I've gotten plenty of good miles on them, especially for the price I paid. 5/5 for where I ride them.

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com