Hutchinson Spider UST Tubeless Tire

3.76/5 (37 Reviews)

Submitted by Ruger a Cross Country Rider from Fort Bragg

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2009

Strengths:    Very good traction and cornering for its weight. Sheds mud and crap well!
A very fast trail tire! Good for varied terrain!

Weaknesses:    While mine are still fon with 500 miles they are very light and I imagine not extremely durable. But mine are still great, no punctures or wear.

Bottom Line:
Great lightweight , fast all around tire!

Favorite Trail:   Moab trails

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Kenda, Swalbe.

Bike Setup:   Mojo SL with all really great stuff!

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2007

Strengths:    relatively light, handle pretty good.

Weaknesses:    tread wears out quickly.

Bottom Line:
I ride in loose rocky dry conditions, and these tires handled pretty good when new. Problem is, they wear out real quick. If I got 4 months out of a set, that was pushing it. I usually ride 3 to 4 times a week, aggressive XC. I swithed to the Panaracer fire x, better durability.

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer fire xc

Bike Setup:   Turner Flux, Manitou Minute 1, shimano xt & xtr

Submitted by K a Weekend Warrior from sb,ca

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, fast rolling, plush

Weaknesses:    Braking and traction depends alot on rotation direction.

Bottom Line:
I like these tires and so far they are the best UST tires I have used. I notice that in the forward direction (on the rear) the tire grips well during climbing in loose over hard pack, but slips pretty quickly during braking. On the front mounted in the reverse direction (as instructed on the tire) the braking is very strong. I tried the front once with the tire in the same direction as the rear and it was scary (washed out easily) which leads me to think that those riders that were washing out in corners did not pay attention to the mounting directions. I liked the conti vert pros quite a bit too but if you mount them backwards they are scary. I won't say the spiders corner on rails but I have gone pretty fast on single track and fire roads and would not call them unstable. They are not perfect and sometimes a heavier tire like a Kenda Blue Groove is a much better choice, but for light weight all around use, I have not tried a better UST tire. As for the Panaracers I hated them and found them to slide way too easily (although fairly predictably) - For real downhill or shuttle runs the spiders would not be great - but I have to wonder why anyone would try to use a lower knob height light weight tire for that anyway?? My rating is based on the price I paid not full retail. I would almost give them 5 stars but they are not perfect.

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer FireXC, Conti Explorer and Vert Pro, Hutch Pythons, Many others

Bike Setup:   used on two bikes Spec Enduro and Foes FXR

Submitted by Dieter a Racer from las cruces, nm

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2006

Strengths:    Clay, straight line steep downhills with mud, hutchinson name

Weaknesses:    I have to agree with other review concerning lateral loading. I hope hutchinson reads these reviews, because the pre 2006 tire line was great and it is time to bring back the mosquito, alligator, and scorpion!!!

These tires have great bite while breaking, but are easily thrown laterally over rocks, roots, and hard uneven soils. I've tried them between 22psi to 35psi with little or know improvement. The design is reminiscent of the alligator, so I had high hopes, what a first class let down!! They break free in corners while descending and ascending and just lack stability. The only stability that these tires provide is a wide footprint and very high volume.

Bottom Line:
Hutchinson makes some of the best tires on the market. The 2006 line, including the bulldog and spiders are huge let downs!!! Bring back the golden age of hutchinson!! Let's see mosquitos, alligator golds, and python golds as both airlite and ust lite tires!! Avoid the spiders, although they may be ok for extreme slop like snowshoe, wv after 2 weeks of rain in august.

Favorite Trail:   everthing

Similar Products Used:   Tried them all

Bike Setup:   Light!!! Kona Primo scandium, stans ztr wheels, sram X.0 and all the bling bling!!

Submitted by Pete a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2006

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance. These tires are fast for such an agressive pattern.

Weaknesses:    Very poor with lateral loads. This tire does not do well with high speed cornering and off camber trails.

Bottom Line:
For dry, loose, terrain with small rocks, like many of the trails in the south/east bay, these tires are horrible. They do ok when you are going straight and on the centerline of the tire. However, they don't handle lateral loads at all. Fast corners and off camber trails are impossible. When they break loose, they go quick. On fast down hill corners with loose terrain these tires were downright scary. By comparison, on the same trails with the FireXC Pro my bike felt like it was on rails. The Weir Wolf also did well, though I can't make a direct comparison as I had it on a different bike.

These tires look like they may do well in the mud, but I don't think they are going to stay on my bike long enough to find out. After several rides, with way to many close calls on trails I have ridden many times, they are coming off.

Similar Products Used:   Weir Wolf, Python, FireXC Pro

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade

Submitted by jeff SUKACH a Cross Country Rider from PSL, FLORIDA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2006

Strengths:    LOTS OF TRACTION IN ALL CONDITIONS FROM BONE DRY TO WET AND MUDDY.

Weaknesses:    WEAR QUICKY BUT THAT IS THE PRICE FOR TRACTION I GUESS

Bottom Line:
NICE WIDE PROFILE RIDES LIKE A MUCH WIDER TIRE THAN A 2.1. A GREAT TIRE FOR TAILS THAT ARE WET AND NASTY. SHEDS MUD WELL AND GIVE YOU CONFIDENCE OVER WET ROCK AND ROOTS. AS A BONUS IT WORKS GREAT IN DRY CONDITIONS TOO UNLIKE SOME ALL CONDITION TIRES.

Favorite Trail:   RAINBOW TRAIL COLORADO

Purchased At:   LOCAL BIKE SHOP

Similar Products Used:   kENDA NEVEGAL, SPECIALIZED ROLL-X, CONTINENTAL EXPLORER

Bike Setup:   2006 SPECIALIZED EPIC MARATHON PRETTY MUCH STOCK EXEPT FOR MAVIC CROSSMAX XL WHEELS

Submitted by steven slick a Cross Country Rider from albuquerque, nm

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Strengths:    Plush, light, fast, traction, no flats on the trail.

Weaknesses:    Hard to mount up.

Bottom Line:
Keep buying fresh set every 6 months, afraid they will become unavailable. Have seen no reviews with anyone using
Hutchinson Prevent Air sealant.. it's really the best because it doesn't set up and remains liquid with pulp to fill in any holes. Took off a set to change to fresh tires
and while cleaning them up found dozens of cactus thorns
in a tire that was holding air. They are plush, I can run them at 25lbs, I'm 143 lbs. They were my first tubeless tires and the change was like the first time I rode a bike with a front shock...been riding since 1984.

Favorite Trail:   albuquerque foothills

Purchased At:   greenfish

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones XC/TR

Bike Setup:   '05 XTR Blur

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2006

Strengths:    fairly light for UST

Weaknesses:    1. The rubber and knobs wear out fast on rocky terrain of SW.
2. The sidewalls are WEAK!!! I've torn 3 on almost new tires.

Bottom Line:
These tirs were on sale by pricematch so I bought several..waste of money. I've torn 3 sidewalls on almost new tires. The latest straw was last weekend. It was their second ride. They were aired up to mid 30s and I took a steep slickrock line down a face when lo and behold - POOOOOF!!! Right at the bottom transition I snakebite both sides of the sidewall - one inch rips. Come on.. what BS. I've ridden non-UST tires with my homemade stans sealant for months and months harder than tihs and they stand up. These Hutchinsons have thick but weak sidewalls. Trust me... you'll be sorry if you like to ride the gnarl and take drops. Maybe I was expecting too much from these.

Favorite Trail:   GreenMtn/Milagrosa

Purchased At:   Performance (pricematch)

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Blue Groove, Kenda Nevegal, MotoRaptors, etc etc

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro tricked out

Submitted by Htail a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    Size & volume, low rolling resistance, traction.

Weaknesses:    Subseptable to pin hole leaks.

Bottom Line:
After rolling on these for over a year now, I'm really convinced of two things- the performance of Hutchinson tires, and the benefits of tubeless tires.

these are the first tires, that I'm actually thinking of buying a second pair. Excellent combination of traction and roll speed. Great XC tire, where you cross over into some technical trail riding. You get the traction and roll for climbing, while agressive tread for the rocks, roots, & mud.

Admittedly though, they do suffer from pinhole leaks, using Stans is crucial prevention.

Purchased At:   Beyond

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Specialized, IRC

Bike Setup:   Truth Romic XTR Mavic Easton Fox

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Austin,tx,USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2005

Strengths:    light for a UST,Traction was ok

Weaknesses:    Didn't hold up.

Bottom Line:
I purchased these tires because of the good mtbr reviews. The traction was okay but not as good as the WTB Weirwolf UST.

After about 3 months the tires stopped holding air. I was running them with Stan's and added some more, but they still didn't hold the air. When I took them off they had a bunch of holes in the casing that were too large for the sealent. I have never had this problem with either of the other 2 types of UST tires I have used.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Weirwolf UST,Michilen wildgripper.

Bike Setup:   stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by doug brummett a Weekend Warrior from santa cruz, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2005

Strengths:    Nice grip, good rolling speed, fairly light (about 750g)

Weaknesses:    -burped when ridden hard
-tire ripped off of bead
-a bit thin in the sidewall

Bottom Line:
I only ran the tire as a rear, so no comment on steering traction. Climbing traction was good. It rolled well.

I ran into trouble with this tire due to my riding style (aggressive trail) and my weight (230lb geared up). I ended up unseating the tire from the bead a couple times on off camber landings. I had to run about 45psi to keep it in position, any less and it would burp or unseat. In the end a 2.5" section of the tire ripped off of the bead and rendered it useless.

Bottom line: If you are a clyde or ride hard go with a larger volume or heavy duty tire and leave this one to the XC guys.

Favorite Trail:   UCSC

Purchased At:   bicycle swapmeet

Similar Products Used:   Specialized 2Bliss Enduro

Bike Setup:   Heckler all mountain rig

Submitted by jdizzle from chi-town

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2005

Strengths:    I've used hutch tires ever since i rode the O.G. Python's. I've used the pythons now for a number of years now. I love the my precious pythons, but they suffer in the wet. That's where the Spiders come in.
I went on a long ride today (my first with the Spiders) on a number of my favorite trails, trails that were a bit sticky, not muddy, but sticky. These tires shed the sticky very well, and stayed sticky themselves for the entire ride. Unlike the Pythons which love to grab up as much mud as possible, it's weird how the Pythons love to keep the mud all over themselves... dirty litl' buggers. On the other hand, the Spiders shed the crud very well, they hate the stuff! After the ride there was a very slight traces of muck and crud, the Spiders throw it off! They acted (rode) a lot like my favorite Pythons in the dry, but did much better shedding mud.
By the way, the only tires i've ever ridden which were Tubeless are these 2 tires. from these 2 tires I have easily made up my mind to never, ever, ride a bike with tubes ever again!!
PS. I always, always use Stans tire juice. It just doesn't make any sense to me not to use a sealant.

Weaknesses:    - twist my arm, I'd have to say that they don't role as fast as the Pythons (what does?), but what do you expect from a beefer tire?
-they're black, my Pythons are grey. I like grey better, but whatever...

Bottom Line:
I can't say that these are the best tires ever made for every situation (because I haven't ridden that many Tubeless tires), but if you like the Pythons in the dry, you'll love the Spiders in the wet.

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden a bunch of different tires that have tubes in them. As far as tubeless, i've only ridden my Pythons, and now the Spiders...

Bike Setup:   yup, it's set up... with Spiders right now!

Submitted by LUIS FERREIRA a Weekend Warrior from PORTUGAL

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2005

Strengths:    • CORNERING
• WEIGHT
• ROLLING RESISTANCE
• TRACTION
FOR HIS SIZE (MORE LIKE 2.2), AND THE 2005 VERSION (WITH GREY STRIPS) EVAN BETTER THAN 2004 VERSION

Weaknesses:    EASY PINHOLES, BUT NOW PROBLEM WITH SOME SEALANT, MY LAST SPIDERS MAKE 200 MILES WITH 17 HOLES.

Bottom Line:
EVEN BETTER FOR 2005, JUST DON'T FORGET THE SEALANT IN ALL UST TIRES.
GREAT TIRE!!!

Similar Products Used:   CONTI VERTICAL UST, MIVHELIN XLS

Bike Setup:   SANTACRUZ

Submitted by CJ a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2005

Strengths:    -They corner relatively well on loose stuff.
-Not a lot of rolling resistence.
-Decent climbers

Weaknesses:    -Pinholes, pinholes, pinholes. They are weak. I've never had a problem with tires losing air with my UST and Stan's combo but, with these, I'm constantly noticing little leaks all over the place. I'm not sure why this is but I'm guessing that they're just thin.
-They wash out fast when they lose grip. While they corner well, they do tend to have a steep drop when they do hit that point where grip is gone. Other tires provide some warning, not so much on these puppies.

Bottom Line:
Decent tires - especially considering the price - but they do have some issues. If you're riding hardpack fire road or singletrack where you're not at risk of getting too many pinholes then, by all means, they're worth it. If not, I'd recommend something a little bit sturdier.

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC Pros, Michelline Wildgripper/XLS combo (worst tires ever)

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Louisville,KY,USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2005

Strengths:    Looks,fit,large volume,traction.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I just switched from Fire XC Pro 2.1's with tubes to tubeless Spiders with Stan's sealant-2.1 light version on the rear and 2.3 regular version (with gray stripes) on the front. It's the first time I have used a larger tire on front than rear and it works great. You get excellent traction and more shock absorption with the larger front tire and the narrower rear is lighter and cuts throught he mud better. My first ride was in the rain and the traction and mud clearance was UNBELIEVABLE - the Panaracers which I liked don't even compare.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Smoke/Dart/Fire XC Pro.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail with Mavic Crossland UST Wheelset.

Difference between Hutch. Spider UST and Hutch Spider UST light tires

Is one the older tire of the two? Is one better than the other? Any help would be great!Read More »

Hutchinson Spider UST?

Did Hutchinson quit making the spider UST? I've actually got a brand new set of the 2.3's, non lite version. However, been looking for some 2.1 ust's in the air lites? Also, the 2.1 airlite UST was a big tire, are the tubed version built similarly volume wise? I had some UST airlites that th ... Read More »

Hutchinson Spider 2.3 UST Tires

Does anyone know where to get a pair of them besides Beyond Bikes? I would even settle for the 2.3's with tubes also long as they were folding bead tires, and they were a good price. My dealer cant even get them for me.Read More »

Hutch Spider 2.3 UST- Can I still buy them?

I can't find them anywhere, and I really like this tire. Maybe somebody on this board works at a shop that still has them. Barring somebody finding them for me, any suggestions for a similar tire- volume, weight, handling, and price-wise?Read More »

Spider UST Alternatives

Apologies for the super broad question, but I have been running a Spider UST 2.3/2.1 combo for a bout a year. Great all around tires, reasonable weight, nice volume and good traction. I live and ride on Long Island in NY so the terrain is a little bit of everything; Roots, rocks, sand, and mud. T ... Read More »