Hutchinson Scorpion UST Tubeless Tire

3.27/5 (51 Reviews)

Was $30 - now $22! Type: Front or Rear Weight: 895 grams Pressure Rating: 29-58 psi Casing: UST Color: Black/Grey

Submitted by tim y a Racer from hamilton ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2007

Strengths:    Look Good ona silver bike 2.3's hooked up well on sno/mud/wet roots & nights rides @ first.

Weaknesses:    On crunchy snow/ice 1.5 years later they feel like wet moccasins. Why cause I have to ride on pavement sometimes to get to & from Pavement Kills'em.

Bottom Line:
These scorpions by Hutch are nice 'n lite for a big 2.3. When I race em my times are faster then on 2.1 kendas. & when you run em @ 30 lbs as suggested they start the first 6 months hold in over anything. My ultimate test is roots @ 2:30 pm under lites in the rain or dewey fog. Last winter they held well on crunchy snow/ice/frozen dirt that our trails become around new years.Yesterday It's -6 cel sunny as h__l the trails are shiney slick My buddies with the nobs are stickin in & I came home with a shiner to the right eye & my crash on film. Today its snowin so I'm shoppin for new tires & leaving my thoughts behind. They should last longer... With the Stans S they held air/nitrogen for months.

Favorite Trail:   ont has lots

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   I could have a tire fire environmental disaster in my basement. Lately I 've been buyin for color.. hence the gray stripes ( But that should be up in the Strengths section.)

Bike Setup:   Soft tail SC X-lite with Crossmax In winter we either go to big 2.3's or studs -wimps get studs.

Submitted by Jonza Kriss a Weekend Warrior from Tel Aviv, Israel

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2006

Strengths:    Wide print, good cornering traction, fast rolling, surprisingly good for landing smaill jumps and drops, nice looks, light weight, usable for tubes and tubeless systems.

Weaknesses:    questionable traction on gravel, sand/dirt and loose terrain. doesn't look like it will last too long.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2.1" (though I suspect it's wider than that) UST scorpion tire on a regular tube, not tubeless. I wanted a tire that had more bite and stability than the 2.1" Richey Z-max I had on my rear wheel. The scorpion fills the ticket, but gives the feeling of a thin tire that tackles small bumps and stones, instead of engulfing and rolling over them. The tire performs well in terms of tranction, cornering and acceleration, but once you get off the more comfortable riding terrain (large rocks, hard-packed soil), the tire transmits to your bottom a little more of the trail than you might like.

Favorite Trail:   fast singletrack

Purchased At:   second hand at a semi-shabby bike shop

Similar Products Used:   All sorts of Panaracer, Maxxis and Richey tires.

Bike Setup:   04` Kona Coiler w/ clip-in pedals.

Submitted by Brandon a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2006

Strengths:    They look cool?

Weaknesses:    Expensive, poor grip in the wet, and they wear out VERY fast.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Scorpion 2.3 UST (with the grey stripes). I rode these for less than 800 Km and they were pretty much bald in the center. They performed well on dry, hard-packed singletrack. But whenever I took them anywhere else they were average at best. These aren't terrible tires, they just are not great tires (not even good, imho). When you factor in the cost, they really aren't worth it. Given the army of better product out there, I'd recommend avoiding these.

Bike Setup:   2003 Cove Handjob, 2004 Marzocchi Marathon S, Chris King headset, SRAM XO twist shifters & rear derailleur, XTR front derailleur, Truvativ Stylo team cranks, Eggbeater SL, Mavic Crossmax Enduro Disc, Hope Mono Minis, Thompson post & stem, Selle Italia Flight titanium, Easton Monkeylight carbon bars, WTB Weirwolf 2.1

Submitted by Carl Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Guemes Island, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Strengths:    good uphill traction as rear tire. this tire holds better than most rear tires i've used. great climber.

Weaknesses:    very, and i mean very, poor downhill traction as rear tire, though i am improving my downhill skid-cornering technique. it seems that the degree of the grabbiness depends on the low psi, and not on knobbies (which are good for braking). for example, on downhill sections (nothing super technical), you basically have just to get a good skid on, and ride it, pray that your front tire holds and thank yourself for not using a hutch scorpion for your front tire. what's that? a long downhill? plan on gradually picking up speed as you skid 'cause you can't maintain your drop-in speed. hairraising to say the least!

Bottom Line:
the terrain (uber-rooty & rocky) and conditions (perpetually rain-soaked) in northwest washington do not respect this tire. and we are not amused.

Purchased At:   skagit cycle center

Similar Products Used:   panaracer firepro xc, velociraptor, python ust

Bike Setup:   sah-weet

Submitted by scott a Cross Country Rider from simi valley, ca

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Strengths:    fast rolling, great on hardpack, great on rocky sections, tubeliss so good traction

Weaknesses:    sketchy on loose terrian and sand but hey its a cross country tire what did you expect

Bottom Line:
good tire nothing spectacular, more so for the experianced cross country rider, a newer rider might not appreciate the more so minimal tread, and i haven't had a flat with them thanks to stans

Favorite Trail:   space mountain

Purchased At:   simi cycling center

Similar Products Used:   several different tubed and non tubeliss tites

Bike Setup:   cannondale jekyll full XT, hayes mag plus, mavic 819 tubeliss rims

Submitted by Dustin Mitchell a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2005

Strengths:    Tire width, Traction, UST

Bottom Line:
I liked my pythons but wanted to get something with more bite for those slick roots and steep climbs. These tires are amazing and I was very surprised at how well they stick to the ground in all conditions. Also much faster than I thought they would be.

Favorite Trail:   Tyler, Waco, Smithville, Hochi

Purchased At:   West U Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Python UST

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Marithon, XTR Groupo, Fox front and rear, Mavic CrossMax SL Disc

Submitted by david gray from Plano, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2005

Strengths:    Tread design

Weaknesses:    Nothing major.

Bottom Line:
This is the best all around tire I've ever used. Extensive trail riding and frequent racing. The soft rubber hooks up superb, it really shines on rocks and roots. They wear fast, as does any high performance sticky tire. I run them at about 32 lbs. The outside row of knobs are perfect for fearless cornering. I've been through several sets and have had minimal leakage problems, I run slime for tubeless in mine. I change tires every so often but keep coming back to these.

Favorite Trail:   Any that I'm on.

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Numerous competitors tire.

Bike Setup:   SFR Stumpjumper & SFR XC

Submitted by Brewha a Weekend Warrior from South Jersey

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2005

Strengths:    Wide footprint,Can run low air pressure.Exellent winter tire.Traction on all types of terrain.Made me a much better climber

Weaknesses:    Wears more if riding on pavement

Bottom Line:
I primarily used this for winter and wet weather riding.Traction is unbelievable.I see everyone else slip or not make sections of trail in which I just blast thru.Maybe it`s the bike? No, now I run them all year.I use the non UST version with plenty of Stan`s.I`ve had them in all types of trails and they are my favorite.Wet rocks and roots are no longer my nemisis.They are slow in some terrain but I will sacrifice that for staying on the trail.They are my choice for the trails on the east coast.I run them at 30lbs.And Greenfish has them dirt cheap!

Favorite Trail:   South Boundry,Snake Trail

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   Kenda,Vertical pro,Velociraptor,Tiogas

Bike Setup:   Truth,819King,XO,Avid Mech`s,Stans`s

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from expat in Belgium

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2004

Strengths:    Reasonable rolling resistance
Good cornering and off-camber grip

Weaknesses:    Porosity of sidewalls
Not enough grip on medium to loose climbs

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 1.75 version.

I started using latex solution for the first time because of these tires. Not to prevent flats, but because they were losing air due to the porosity of the sidewalls. I dunked them in the bathtub and was shocked to see a constant stream of microbubbles emanating from the sidewalls! With the latex, they held air for weeks on end, and I never flatted with them, so I got over it.

These tires roll ok on hard ground, but corner strangely due to the low center knob/high lateral knob design. Nevertheless, I bought them specifically for soft muddy conditions during winter, so I am rating them only for this use, for which they don't clog up and grip well coming into muddy corners and off-cambers. They show their limitations when attempting to climb slippery slopes, as the central tread is just not meaty enough. Every tire is a compromise, but this one doesn't quite hit the mark for me. It's neither a hard conditions nor soft conditions tire, yet I don't consider it an all-around tire either.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress, Scotland

Similar Products Used:   Hutch Mosquito and Spider, Geax Sedona (UST versions)

Bike Setup:   Custom wheelseet with DT hubs and Mavic UST rims, running Eclipse latex sealant and removeable-core valves.

Submitted by Frank Brigandi a Cross Country Rider from Havertown, PA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2004

Strengths:    Gargantuan, wide and stable

Weaknesses:    rolling resistence, is high because these are LARGE tires.

Bottom Line:
I like these tires because they give you a wide footprint which does many good things for you on the trail. When it's rocky they help keep the bike stable at any speed even if your creeping along behind those not as gifted on dowhilling, It's a good technical climbing tire, I liked it on gravel too, it seemed to float nicely. It cleans well if you get any horse sh!t on it which is a good thing, and I really liked it for riding at a brisk pace through tight single track, it seemed to hug everything especially burms, it also didn't do curly shuffle on any loose moderately fast downhill sections that had loose bigger rocks waiting to pluck you from your bike. Climbing on smooth trails with this tire was difficult because it's wide and slows you down, but I wasn't bothered by that, I caught everyone on the downhills and single track because I was the only one not slipping and sliding. Nice tire, I'd reccomend it definately even though I had hear that these tires were horrible. I disagree they were excellent and very comfortable to ride on for long durations.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   biketopia 610-789-4500

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC pro, IRC Claw COMP ( best tire ever IMO) many many others

Bike Setup:   '04 Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0 Stock except for a shorter stem ad DH bars for Stability in tight singletrack.

Submitted by Biz a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to mount, holds air well, high volume casing.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest out there.

Bottom Line:
Decent tubeless tires, seems to work well in all conditions. I have ridden Tiger Mountain in the sopping wet with these, and, yes, they do slip and slide a bit over roots, but I've yet to try a tire that'll grip under those conditions. I felt that they did an admirable job. They work quite well in hardpack terrain; haven't tried it in sandy conditions. They hold air well, but I do have to inflate/check them after every week, and no I don't use Stan's tubeless sealant.

To the reviewer about 3 reviews down who gave them 1 chili each, I would say that his experience might be unique. I haven't had a problem with these, and would certainly purchase these again if I can get 'em at a reasonable price.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   WTB Weirwolf UST; non-tubeless tires include Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Hutchinson Python and Spider, Mythos XC

Bike Setup:   2003 Ellsworth Truth with Romic rear, Fox TALAS RLC fork, Chris King headset and ISO disc hubs, Mavic 819 UST rims, XTR crankset, Magura Marta SL brakes, Easton Monkeylite SL handlebar and EC70 seatpost

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Chelmsford, Ma

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2004

Strengths:    strong sidewalls, works well on hard pack and rocks, no flats, able to run much lower pressures when needed, look great, hook up on just about anything, holds pressure (also use Stan's Sealant)

Weaknesses:    none found so far

Bottom Line:
I ride New England trails which are rocky, rooty and mostly hard-pack. I find these tires perfect for this environment.

They have fantastic grip over almost everything except deep sand and mud but I don't think these tires are designed for that (small knobs on top). Surprisingly, they're good when wet too (of course, no tire will be great when wet). Corners well and allows me to float over rock gardens and technical stuff with ease. These are big volume tires which add cush to the suspension (I'm 205#). They handle big drops with no trouble.

I see that some people are upset by how quickly they wear. Although I do see some wear (only on the rear) it isn't excessive and this is the trade-off for a grippy soft compound tire. My suggestion for those below is to talk to other riders in your area and find out what tire works well for them.

They are a bit pricey but I don't mind paying for a good product. Besides, when I add up how much I've saved in tubes and lost riding time on the trail, these things are more than paying for themselves.

Haven't had any issues at all and will definitely buy more in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   Cycleloft

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos 2.1, Specialized Enduro 2.2, Panaracer TrailBlaster 2.0

Bike Setup:   04 Specialized Enduro w/CrossMax XL rims

Submitted by Matthew Vangelisti a Cross Country Rider from Markham, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2004

Strengths:    Really hooks up well in the mud. I'm riding only the 1.75 but it is good enough for a 138lb rider. Keep in mind nothing is going to work on wet rock and roots, I don't care what anyones says. Climbed some steep stuff on this little skinny tire....

Weaknesses:    You can't expect them to roll like a Python, so don't - okay? A little vibration to let you know the knobbies are there. Mine's narrow so cornering is a little careful until you get used to it. Tread is not super duper durable, can only see some wear after dragging rear a bit down a really steep pitch. Also like most UST's I guess, they are a little hard to get on. The last bit is really a killer.

Bottom Line:
Good tire for mud. Get a wider model if you are larger or want to have more carefree cornering. If things are really muddy you can go with more aggressive tread but then you give up some rolling resistance too. This seems to be a good compromise. Trying a Specialized Rockster now for dry days and it rolls very fast, but again no hook up on slicker muddier trails. Best to have another set of rims if you are going to play the condition specific tire game.

Favorite Trail:   Durham "drops"

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Markham

Similar Products Used:   Panacer Trailblaster 1.85

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works Epic, Full XTR, Mavic Crossmax, Shimano 959.

Submitted by Frank Poblocki a Weekend Warrior from Seattle Area

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2004

Strengths:    I have not found any real strenghts in the design, appearance, or performance of this tire.

Weaknesses:    No grip whatsoever. Horrible handling ability.

Bottom Line:
I have only had my VT1 for 1 week and these tires were on the bike when I bought it. I have taken it on 3 (serious) rides, and was surprised how horribly these tires performed. I slipped and slided away, especially on wet roots and rocks. I would hope that Giant will spec better tires for a bike as expensive as the VT1. Several people told me that one of the benefits of tubeless tires was that that rarely, if ever, go flat. I got a fat old flat on my 2nd. ride. the hike back was better than the ride.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mtn

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   2003 Giant VT1, pretty much stock.

Submitted by Jeremy Worringham a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2004

Strengths:    Hmmmm... It certainly dosn't weigh much. They roll nice n fast on hard packed surfaces. Such as street. HAHAHAHA! Can be run at ULTRA low pressure. Probably good for 'pure' cross country weight-aware people.

Weaknesses:    Where's the grip? I don't feel confident with these tires. And that's not because I have a hideous face. I thought the point of tires was to keep you firmly on the trail/road even if you have to corner, brake or run over small animals (I do not condone running over animals). These tires don't really do that all the time. The (tiny) side knobs are spaced well apart so when you corner hard you get gradually less grip. Not cool.

Bottom Line:
Not the best gripping tires at all. For the rough stuff around Mt Coot tha I would say try something with more grip. When I wear these to death I am going to try the new Tioga Red Phoenix tubeless xc tires with Stans no-tubes.

As these came on my new bike I won't comment on value.

Favorite Trail:   SO MANY TRAILS