Hutchinson Python UST Tubeless Tire

3.31/5 (97 Reviews)

Hutchinson Python UST 2.0 Tire: Hutchinson's top selling MTB tire, the New Generation Python gets updated with enlarged lateral steering knobs. Close knob proximity on centerline for reduced rolling resistance...

Submitted by tony_tiger_35 a Weekend Warrior from Castaic, CA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    Great strength, fantastic traction, fast rolling, very puncture resistant

Weaknesses:    Grip is a little shallow so would be too great in mud

Bottom Line:
Fantastic tire for the money. Never have any problems with this tire losing air with the Stans flow rims. Never had a puncture or any damage. Ran the pressure from 25psi to 50 depending on the riding and was pleased every time. These tires roll fast and I rarely have issues with grip. The tread is shallow but a lot of it which is great for traction and trails in S. California riding...

Favorite Trail:   Mt Pinos

Purchased At:   Rbikes.com

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan XL

Submitted by dzol a Cross Country Rider from Kitchener, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    -Durability - I have used my bike for on-road cycling only for 5000kms and still have the original Hutchenson python on the front! The rear had to be replaced once. The front tire is still ok, but I am replacing both now.

Reiability - I have only ever had 5 punctures and they were mostly my fault from running over glass or dead animals :)

Low Rolling resistance - Their tread pattern is really neat rolls easily and is great for hard-packed trails.

Quailty - Have you ever had a tire last 5000kms? and the walls are still in great condition, I have abused them and my bike riding during the winter, rain, mud, rocks, roots, dust and the sidewalls have barely any cracks

Weaknesses:    Traction - They are ok for Hard packed trails, but I would be nervous to take them on anything too technical (a recent bad wipeout has convinced me to invest in something more grippy).

Bottom Line:
Great Tires if you are looking for something fast, durable, and still gives decent grip on moderate trails. (Mind you I checked recently at a retialer and the price has gone up substantially somethign around $75 CAD ($64USD))

Favorite Trail:   Hydrocut

Race face crank
Avid BB9 disks

Submitted by tincho1979 a Cross Country Rider from Tucuman, Argentina

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
Muy buena para terreno seco, la utilice varios años para competencias, y me dio muy buenos resultados. Totalmente recomendable, pero no la usen en barro.

Purchased At:   Philip N.Y.C.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M4 2000

Submitted by scooter24 a Cross Country Rider from manchester,ct.

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Strengths:    fast rolling,light tire that grips good.

Weaknesses:    to thin of wall they cut very easy on rocks,they dont hold air unless you use sealant.

Bottom Line:
if you want a tire that holds air dont buy these without installing sealant.very weak casing cuts easily.good tire if you do a light xc ride on flat terrain.

Favorite Trail:   fern trail to green monster

Purchased At:   greenfish

Similar Products Used:   panaracer fire,michelin

Bike Setup:   chumba xcl with xt group,geax tnt tires

Submitted by greenmtnrdr a Cross Country Rider from Poulsbo, WA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2008

Strengths:    They look fast - low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Cornering. Install was the hardest/worst of any tire ever -- you'll be screwed with a flat out in the field

Bottom Line:
I bought two and just installed the rear -- what a pain! I compared the rear intalled tire with front mounted Maxxis Ignitor -- Python 2.35 is MUCH smaller with little or no side knobs. This tire will obviously go fast in a straight line. The tire is coming OFF (I'm not even going to bother riding on it)! They are going on ebay/craigslist. AVOID this tire unless you drive in a straight line and appreciate cursing while changing bike tires.

Purchased At:   PRICEPOINT

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer 2.4, OEM Maxxis Ignitor 2.35

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet 1

Submitted by bman3333 a Cross Country Rider from New Berlin, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2008

Strengths:    Lighter version, nice tread pattern for dry, XC trails

Weaknesses:    Leak air (10 psi/week) right out of the box. Tread wears quickly. Poor customer service.

Bottom Line:
First two sets of Python UST tires held air and worked fine. Third set was the New Gen Python Lite UST and they do not hold air right out of the box. Basically a tubeless-ready tire now. Hutchinson said you must use sealant - which was never the case with first two sets. Would not replace or fix problem. Do not recommend supporting this company.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Klimax Lite UST

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS Air stock

Submitted by maleonardphi a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    Light, tons of grip.

Weaknesses:    Tread wears quickly, maybe only lasted for 20 rides. Don't dare ride it on the pavement.

Bottom Line:
I really love this tire on the rear. For a 2.0, it has a ton of grip, with the benefit of being really light. However, it wears really quickly. It worked well in dry conditions, rocky, loose, pretty much anything. I never had a chance to try it in the mud though. I would highly recommend it if you can get a deal. But maybe get two, since they wear so fast

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   Given to me for free

Similar Products Used:   Various WTB, Kenda, and Maxxis tires

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider XVP

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from El Paso, TX

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2008

Strengths:    Light I suppose. The tread worked for me on local terrain conditions.

Weaknesses:    Sidewall

Bottom Line:
Well I guess fool me once shame on you Hutchinson, fool me twice, shame on me. After a year of LIGHT xc use (I weigh 145 and have been out perhaps a dozen times) this tire did what the tube version did to me a few years ago--let go of a sidewall; split from rim to center of the tread. Perhaps not surprising, unless it's happended twice on Hutchinson products. No fun walking back to the car. Yes, shame on me, but no more $$ for you Hutch.

Favorite Trail:   All are good

Purchased At:   Don't recall, probably CBO

Similar Products Used:   Python (Tube version), Panaracer Fire XCs and XC pros

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Mavic wheels, mix of XTR, SRAM 9.0 and Thomson stuff

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from idaho

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2007

Strengths:    fast!

Bottom Line:
tire performance is so subjective!this tire is one of my favorites, the non-UST version is weak at cornering if not used with a tubeless conversion kit, a fast rolling tire with above average cornering ability,run at 35b psi rear and 30 front at my weight of 190lbs.All UST tire seem to perform better than there tube counterparts.

Favorite Trail:   empty ones

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   ibex hardtail and 2006 heckler both with mavic crosslands, stans sealant and UST valves with removable cores.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, California USA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2007

Strengths:    To specify, this review is for the Hutchinson New Gen Python Tubeless tires. At approximately $25 a pop from PP, it was affordable. After getting the tires, they were easy to get on my Mavic Crosslands. A scoop of Stans and off I went.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit heavy, but I dont mind the tradeoff for durability. Messy putting this tire on especially if your using Stans and dont have a stand or an extra hand helping you. Soaping the bead well makes the bead pop into the rim much easier but gets very slippery when putting them on. Dont forget a compressor!

Bottom Line:
Hey the tire holds air well, doesn't leak, and can grip like a thirsty mosquito on a hot summer day. This tire has a really low rolling resistance, felt like I was riding on slicks. It really feels that good, especially compared to the Bulldogs, Fire XC's, and Nevegals that I have tried before. Going uphill, the tires do not slip much and provide confidence when pounding downhill looking for grip around the corners. Thus far, I am happy with these tires and would not hesitate to buy another set. Value got 4/5 only b/c I am cheap and dont like spending money. Overall rating got 4/5 b/c once again, I am cheap and dont like spending money.

Favorite Trail:   Whiting/Truck Trail/Luge Combo

Purchased At:   PP where price is the point!

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Bulldog Tubeless Light (w/ Stans), Panaracer Fire XC Pros, and Kenda Nevegals.

Bike Setup:   Spec Stumpjumper SS HT. Love the SS!

Submitted by Bryan a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
An all-around great tire for dry conditions. I've "experimented" with similar brands but keep coming back to the Pythons for the type of terrain we have around here. They hook up well on hardpack and are relatively lightweight. I run them with Stan's and have only had ONE flat (which was my fault because my Stan's had dried up!) D'OH!

I recommend playing with different pressures on different terrains as you can dial them in for maximum performance.

Submitted by Christopher Davis a Cross Country Rider from Evergreen

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    Light, low rolling resistance.

Weaknesses:    Not great in loose conditions,

Bottom Line:
A great general use tire that is light enough to race and tough enough for all mountain riding. Despite other reviews about torn sidewall I have a had no problems. Yet, I alway ran 45psi with stan's sealant. I worn the rear tire down to nothing, until the stan's sealant oozed out of the casing and it still holds air. Being completely objective I think this tire is the best balance between climbing effeciency and descending traction.

Favorite Trail:   Centennial Cone

Purchased At:   Canyon Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Maxis, Kenda, WTB

Bike Setup:   Ibis Silk Ti w/ disc. Stan355/DT, XTR, Fox100RLT, Easton

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from boise

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2007

Strengths:    light, roll fast,price,reliability,long wear.

Weaknesses:    cornering is average.

Bottom Line:
I am somewhat baffled with tire reviews in general...there is a learning curve obviously in regards to mounting, tire pressure, poor riding skills.I keep on returning to this tire as it does perform quite well, the NG's are easier to mount, these tires have low rolling resistance yet still corner reasonably well, I run stans sealant and have gone thousands of miles with no flats, do NOT pull out thorns the tire will seal and the thorn will break off externally and migrate into the tire where it floats around harmlessly.The Scorpion corners better at the expense of rolling resistance I run these on my spare wheels.Mounting is easy if you follow instructions I have never had a failure off road, on road I have, twice in six years repaired with a spare inner tube do not waste your time with hand pump away from home the tube is much quicker, just pop out the ust valve.

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   2004 Ibex hard tail,2006 Heckler, both with mavic crosslands

Submitted by scott a Racer from ellijay

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2006

Strengths:    fast, light, ride quality, cornering

Weaknesses:    probably don't last as long as some others

Bottom Line:
Excellent performing tire. Lasts as long I would expect for a lightweight race tire. if you want the tire to last, get the heavier version. the heavier version is as durable as any tire on the market. i personally choose the light weight version.

Favorite Trail:   pinhoti