Hutchinson Python Light Tubeless Tire

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Hutchinson Python New Generation Tubeless Light 26x2.0 Tire is a world-class cross country race tire. Desinged by World Speed Record holder Julien Absalon, this ultra-quick tire has one of the stickiest durometers out there. Unstoppable on dry hardpack, R

Submitted by Spinnerin29 a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, Califronia

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2009

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance and traction, traction, traction! This tires completely changed the way my bike handled and made riding technical singletrack a blast!

Weaknesses:    None as of yet. Possibly mud because the knobs are small

Bottom Line:
These tires are the single best upgrade that I've ever made on a bike. The performance difference is truly amazing. They hold off-camber lines and deal with the California DG really well. I love the way my bike rides with these tires. Full suspension XC riders and hardtail owners don't need to look any further than these tires.

Favorite Trail:   Top Secret local singletrack

Purchased At:   World Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Geax, IRC Mythos and many more.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XC Expert

Submitted by blainefree a Cross Country Rider from El Paso, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance. Grips well. Cornering is average and durability is average IMO

Weaknesses:    Durability could be better

Bottom Line:
Very good tires for the high desert areas like West Texas, New Mexico, Southern Utah, etc. They roll fast and brake pretty well. Cornering is avg and durability is average. I am buying a second set since they have treated me well. I recommend them pretty highly. I would give them 4.5 chilis if I could but since you can only choose whole Chilis I have to give them a 4 due to durability being only average.

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos II UST

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XCR Expert, XTR and XT drivetrain, Mavic Crossmax UST rims.

Submitted by cgt a Racer from Norway

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast rolling, high volume.

Weaknesses:    not best in mud

Bottom Line:
These tires last and last and never puncture. Most popular tire in Worlds largest MTB race with 20,000 racers, 5,000 the first day and 15,000 the next day!

Similar Products Used:   all

Bike Setup:   Cannnondale Scalpel Team

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, excellent in soft gravel uphills and in sand

Weaknesses:    in Arizona Sonoran Desert you run into soft sharp turn berms and these tires react differently than the Kenda Small Blocks because they tend to dig in. They are a bit heavier than the Kenda Small Block 8

Bottom Line:
so far I am totally pleased with the performance

Favorite Trail:   Pemberton

Purchased At:   Bicycle showcase

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Small Block 8

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 10 w/ Sram XO

Submitted by Jinna a Cross Country Rider from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2008

Strengths:    Fast running and tight in various conditions.

Weaknesses:    May be not so good in mud and wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
This tire is the most common tire used in Norway in cross country riding.

Purchased At:   Local store

Similar Products Used:   Many.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F800SL

Submitted by Sérgio Mourato a Cross Country Rider from Portugal

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    Good Cornering, rolls very fast in road and sand (even with water). Didn't tried it in MUD. Even in rocky (not very) tracks it works fine.

Weaknesses:    After 5 months. Front tire is good, but my back tire is needing retirement. I've made about 800kms (500miles) with them (don't know if it is a weak point).

Bottom Line:
I gave 5 and 5 because:
- In value - I didn't buy them separately because they came with my bike, but I'm looking for a new one to replace my back one, and the price is similar to other Tubeless tires. Michelin an IRC are higer and seem poor.
- Overall Rating - I've more traction in lose terrain than I use to have with Kenda, and it rools very fast in asphalt. I'm very happy and I should buy another to replace the one I need.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Some kenda tires in my last bike.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 (2006 model); Mavic Crossland wheels; hidraulic LX brakes; Lx Dual Control Levers; XT Rear Deraileur, and LX in front; X-Pedo pedals.

Submitted by Tucky a Weekend Warrior from Hermosillo, Sonora, México

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2006

Strengths:    Light.. really light for tubeless, fast rollers.

Weaknesses:    One of them came leaking on the sidewall, got an exhcnage and problem solved.

Bottom Line:
These are very fast rollers, great on loose over hardpack, and pretty decent on sand, hook great. Shaved 15 minutes on my favorite trail the first time I use them. they may wear fast, since I do this as a hobby not really into being a pro, I might get another set next time for durability, but I like this so much I might keep with Hutchinson.Just 4 chilis on value, since I do think these tires don't come cheap, but they might be worth every penny on a serious racer.

Similar Products Used:   tubed tires

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight,Mavic Crossland, Avid mechanical

Submitted by Jason a Racer from Los Gatos, CA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2006

Strengths:    Light for a tubless. Super good on hardpack and firm trails. Small knobs make for easy going in sandy type mud and wet.

Weaknesses:    Not so good on loose rocks or slippery roots. They do wear out pretty quick. But you want performance not cheap, right?

Bottom Line:
These are my favorite tires for California riding outside the Sierras. They are the fastest rolling tires on hardpack that I've ever ridden. They brake and corner unbelievebly well for a tire with such small knobs. In the tubless version, they're more supple than a Swedish thigh.

Favorite Trail:   Steam Donkey @ ECDM

Purchased At:   Sea Otter Booth

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Roll-ex and Adreneline, Kenda Nevegal, some IRC's... well, too many more to name

Bike Setup:   Fuel 100 with XT/XTR drive train and transmission. Fox suspension. XTR wheels and Formula disc brakes.

Hutchinson Python UST Air Light replacement

I've been running Python Air lights for a few years but it's hard to buy them online now and I'd like to try something else. I was pretty happy with them and I'm wondering what is a good light fast rolling tire for mostly hard pack trails and some road commute.Read More »

Hutchison Python Air Light TLR tire

Hutchinson tires are legendary in the 26er world, but not so well known for their 29er tires. Nevertheless, I decided to give this [URL="http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16757-320_HUTPY7-43-Brands-258-Hutchinson-Tires/Hutchinson-Python-Air-Light-Tubeless-Ready-29.htm"]Python Air Light TLR[/URL] a g ... Read More »

Python UST light

I've used the standard tubed version for a couple years now and have been happy. I already know I like the tread for adventure racing / all around riding. Anyone have any experience with the UST version? Do they work well in conjunction with some stans sealant? I'm a heavier guy "200" with gear ... Read More »

Hutchinson python tubeless light???

It seems very light with fair sidewalls and it is fast... about 620g More resistent than a non UST tire mounted tubeless and when comparing tyre (500g) plus rim strip, the weight is not that bad:thumbsup: thoughts?Read More »

Hutchinson Air Light Python Tires

Hutchinson Air Light Python tires w/unknown tubes ----- Picked up a set of new Mavic/XT wheels. They have the Hutchinson tires on them. Looked at the reviews on them and they are ultra all over the place. Any ideas on how they will hold up on the dry/dusty/rocky Arizona trails? I'd rather ... Read More »