Geax Mezcal Tubeless Tire

• Knob shape
  • Rails Design
  • Micro-traction effect
  • Aramid 3D Compound
  • Great cornering and fast rolling

Submitted by John From Horse Hill a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    Super light, large volume, very low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    Poor grip for rear braking, awful for climbing wet roots and rocks, not robust enough for technical trails.

Bottom Line:
This tire developed a large tear in the middle of the tread on the second ride while I was traveling over a techincal rocky section of trail. Earlier in the ride I noticed that the tire very poor grip on wet roots and rocks so I really had to baby them up technical climbs. They also tended to skid very easily during downhill braking. They'd probably be a great tire in some areas because they are super fast and efficient but I wouldn't buy them for riding in New England.

Favorite Trail:   Orange Trail Fells

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Happy Medium
Kenda Slant Six
Specialized Captain control

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar 29er Race

Submitted by Loraura a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
Requires removed valve cores and an air compressor to mount tubless. Tire fit very loosely on my Roval 29, 26mm rims requireing a huge blast of air to seat the bead. Once seated, very good seal was achieved, no leaks at all. Giving it 3 starts for now since I have not gotten to trail test them.

Favorite Trail:   The Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Won at a race

Submitted by andro0120 a Weekend Warrior from Manila, PH

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2012

Strengths:    Very very fast rolling tires, great looking tread, great cornering

Weaknesses:    Not exactly the all mountain tire they claim it to be.

Bottom Line:
After trying out the 2.1 Mezcal for a few weeks, I decided to try out the Mezcal 2.3 tires. While the 2.1s were primarily designed as an XC tire, Geax claims the increased size of the Mezcal 2.3 has made it an all-arounder - AM and downhill tire. I took the plunge and was pleasantly surprised that despite it being larger and slightly heavier, it was no slower than the 2.1 Mezcals that I previously owned. I took them to a three hour road trip and they are amazing on the concrete/asphalt. This morning, I took to the technical trails at the Fort and was slightly disappointed at the result. Hardpack, grass and loam were easy but wet rocks on steep inclines proved to be quite a challenge for the tires. Not sure though if I was working the pedals too hard, if my gears are too low or if my tire pressure was way too high - 45psi on both.

Nonetheless, I've yet to spend a few more rides before I get the hang of these. I'm expecting them to deliver once I have everything dialed in. It may not be the perfect tire, but nothing is. It fits my purpose and will probably stay with me longer than any of my previous tires.

Great for those who spend a significant amount of time on the road or asphalt, but want a tire that they can take to the occasional trail escapades.

Purchased At:   Tryone Bike Store

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Crossmarks 2.1, Continental Race King 2.2, Geax Mezcal 2.1

Bike Setup:   Marin Nail Trail, DT Swiss/Sun Ringle wheelset

Submitted by hoolie a Cross Country Rider from Oakland , CA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    This 26x2.10 TNT w/ Geax sealant run Tubeless at 30 PSI. Awesome fast tire, holds air for 3-4 weeks then pump a little. First micro tread for me and used for 10 HARDCORE crosscountry hrs.

Weaknesses:    Summer only? I used in the rain in Sierra Nevadas but on granite boulders and worked great. The muddy areas clog micro treads.

Bottom Line:
I happened to put some of the hardest 10 hrs of the summer on these and caught in rain once. Nashbar 2 pack w/ free sealant. I used this today at Santa Cruz Demo Forest in dusty, leaf covered, baby heads(adult head size), berms, jumps and they worked beyond expectation. Super light setup. If you want a great rear and so so front this is good tire. I dont think they will last long, but you never know. I WILL remove these in the fall and use again next summer( I spread the load w/ 3 bikes and this ridden the least)

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, Ignitor, Hutch python/toro

Bike Setup:   GT Carbon Marathon Pro, XT UST wheelset

Submitted by whiskeybro a Racer from Netherlands Ede

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2011

Strengths:    Grips well, fast and never let me down

Weaknesses:    litle slippery in wet conditions

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this tyre when there are not to many sharp rocks,the tires last long,are fast and the have lots of grip.

Purchased At:   2005

Similar Products Used:   Racing Ralph,and Bontrager Revolt

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000

Submitted by Tjokkits Cor a Weekend Warrior from South Africa

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2007

Strengths:    Grips well, fast

Weaknesses:    Sidewall gave way third time I used these tyres, spoiled my ride which I had to stop halfway - not funny

Bottom Line:
These tyres are awesome as long as they last, I will exchange this one time but am really scared another ride gets spoiled, hope this is a once off....

Favorite Trail:   bush

Purchased At:   West Rand cycles

Similar Products Used:   Maxis crossmax

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth truth, xtr rims etc etc

Submitted by Juan Van Zyl from JHB

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2007

Strengths:    Fast and Strong

Bottom Line:
Great tires. They are fast and have strong side walls. A bit heavy, but thats the price you pay for tire that doesnt punture easily. Been using them 6 mnths and still going well. I will def keep on riding these babies

Purchased At:   Frits Pienaar

Similar Products Used:   Hutch Pythons, and Bontrager Revolt

Bike Setup:   Yeti

Submitted by Chris Frankiskos a Racer from South Africa

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Strengths:    The tyre is super quick, predictable and easy to fit. Performs well over all xc / trail riding conditions.

Weaknesses:    It is a little slippery in the Wet

Bottom Line:
I would recomend the tyre to all Xc riders. It would be better to run the tyre on the back wheel for all conditions, if you were to run it on both front and back i would be cautious to the route type you choose...the slightly more rocky and technical rides with the tyre on the front would pose to be difficult for an inexperienced rider.

Purchased At:   Illovo Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Racing Ralph, Bontrager Revolt

Bike Setup:   Merida FLX 5000

Submitted by anthony nash a Racer from south africa

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2007

Strengths:    super fast rolling tyres. they are perfect for most conditions, and their side walls are stronger than other brands.

Weaknesses:    they are slippery in wet conditions

Bottom Line:
fantastic fast racing tyre, fantastic handling and cornering ability's

Purchased At:   cyclelab

Similar Products Used:   schwalbe racing ralph, maxis cross mark

Bike Setup:   merida carbon team race bike

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from Curacao

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Strengths:    Fast rolling
Low Price compared to other (better) tubeless tyres

Weaknesses:    Weak Sidewalls
- I am running this tyre (tubeless version) on the rear, and although the tread is only 1/2 worn, there is a bulge on the sidewall which is starting to give way. I usually run about 50psi, which is safely below the max. recommended pressure of 58psi (4bar).
Two friends of mine have also had similar problems with this tyre, where the sidewalls bulged and then gave way - one of them was fortunate that when the tyre started to give way, it started with a slow leak (ie. we were able to keep pumping it to get home) . The other was not so fortunate, as his tyre exploded during a race ....

Bottom Line:
Here in Curacao, conditions are generally hard packed and dusty, with plenty of small rocks, some loose gravel, and tons of cactus to ruin your day.

Overall, I would not recommend this tyre, as the weak sidewalls make it an unreliable choice of tubeless tyre.
I gave it 2 chilli's for value, mainly due to the low price. However, the weak sidewalls meant that I gave it 1 chilli overall.

Purchased At:   LBS - Curacao

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis UST (Larsen TT, CrossMark) - both great (fast rolling, reliable handling)
Specialized UST (Fast Track Pro) - great tyre

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.
Mavic Crossmax XL tubeless rims (I weigh 100kg), with Stans No-Tubes sealant (lots of cactus prickles in Curacao)