Flat Attack Tire Sealant Tubeless Tire

Submitted by tuffguppy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2016

Strengths:    seals leaks while riding

Weaknesses:    air often leaks out overnight, If the tube has pressure in it a small amount of Flat Attack will often squirt/spray out every time you attach the pump head to inflate the tire.

Bottom Line:
I've never had to stop on a ride to replace a tube since I have used Flat Attack. While the tire is spinning holes stay sealed. After I first air up the tire I'll spin the wheel and bounce it on the ground to allow the sealant to spread around inside the tube. I have been using this for a couple of years and around 8,000 miles of riding and I have yet to get a flat on a ride. It would be better if the holes were permanently sealed, but usually they are not. Usually I have to re-inflate from near 0 psi before the start of each ride, after the tire has remained motionless for 24 hrs.. Sometimes the holes stay sealed and the tube only loses 4 or 5 psi overnight, just like a tube w/o sealant, but not always. I have only used the sealant in a road bike tube, but I'm certain it would work the same in a mountain bike tube. It lasts a very long time in a tube. I don't think it ever dries out like Stan's sealant does in a tubeless tire and it doesn't plug up a valve stem like Stan's and Slime sometimes do. I use Stan's in my tubeless mountain bike tires. It is great for that use, but in tubes I'll continue to use Flat Attack.
Tip: On a road bike fill the tube with 3 oz of sealant before inserting the tube into the tire on the rim. It will give the tube room to expand and let the sealant flow into the tube. If you leave the tube inside the tire, the full 3 oz of sealant will be very difficult to squeeze in.

Purchased At:   United States

Similar Products Used:   Slime, Stan's

Bike Setup:   Carbon road bike, Aluminum Cross bike

Submitted by marquism2

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2012

Strengths:    Less expensive than a tubeless setup with Stan's

Weaknesses:    Doesn't actually work very well, i.e. it does not stop flats

Bottom Line:
I ride where goathead thorns are a big problem. For years I used Slime tire liners with reasonable success. They prevented the goatheads from penetrating in most cases, but the liners move around in the tires, so every once in a while I'd get a puncture in a spot where the liner was off-center. Then I switched to tubeless with Stan's, which for me has a 100% success rate so far. I've pulled at least 20 goatheads and other sharp pointy objects out of my tires this summer and not once had a tire deflate on me. They piss out a little Stan's and they re-seal.

But Stan's is expensive, messy, and requires attention to maintain, so I thought I'd try another approach - tubes with Flat Attack. I put that setup on another bike and so far it has a 100% failure rate. Every goathead I've pulled out has led to a flat tire. The only good thing I can say about it is that it seems to at least slow the release of air through the holes - I've been able to get home without changing the tube on the trail. But the seal is not permanent like Stan's seems to be. An hour or so later, the tire is flat.

I'm not sure what Flat Attack would seal if it can't seal the tiny holes that the goatheads make, so I'll chalk it up to experience and I'll be sticking with Stan's and tubeless.

Submitted by Torrey

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2012

Strengths:    Works well for years. Easy to work with and cleans up easily. The "greenest" sealant on the market. Best sealant period.

Bottom Line:
Flat attack works great for years. No other sealant can match flat attack. Doesn't dry out or ball up. Recommend flat attack to anyone wanting a quality product. You definitely get your moneys worth with Flat attack.