Continental Rubber Queen UST Tubeless Tire

• 110tpi cloth
  • Gravity Arc Sidewalls
  • 1050g
  • Continental Rubber Queen UST Tubeless Tire Pro Review

I tested and reviewed the Continental Rubber Queen’s (now known as the Trail King in the US) about a year ago, and thought they were a great tire. Brett Hahn the US Brand Manager for Continental, asked me to try out the UST version of the RQ’s. Since then, I have bashed and smashed the tires through just about any terrain imaginable, and they have turned out to be stout, durable, with excellent traction and best of all are big and meaty! Continue reading →

Submitted by AlexPt a Weekend Warrior from Vic, BC

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Strengths:    It's a 2.4 huge tire and rolls better than most, no all 2.3's I've tried. Even at 28psi, WT?
    Grip grip grip (grips like a monkey to the last banana in the tree)
    Ability to run low psi (tubeless)
    Quality
    Have I said how well it rolls

Weaknesses:    Price maybe. $130 for a pair makes my eyes water. BUT I really hope these are the answer to my grip, low psi, no pinchers prayers.

Bottom Line:
    Simply awesome. 3 / 4 rides in and they stick like the El Moco but allow lower psi. The Moco and Excavator were my previous winners (El Moco best for winter for sure, wet roots n slippy rocks) but both are Kendas. What's the issue I hear you ask? Well quality (knobs rip off, El moco had one ride and got a slash in side wall) and last but ANNOYINGLY not least. Pinch flats. You need 30psi to get grip. I get tons of pinchers and it p's me off. Tubeless is hopefully my savior. The RQ's, now TK's, simply rock bro's and sisters.

Buy em. Kenda need to up the anti. Plain and simple. Would try a UST Nevegal though...

Favorite Trail:   Who is YOUR daddy?

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal DTC, Minion DH F, Excavator DTC, El Moco StickE, Ignitor, Panaracer XC? (MEC cheaper one)

Bike Setup:   Blur LT 2 AM kinda gig

Submitted by pakdoc a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, AL USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2010

Strengths:    These are now the Trail Kings I believe. I am changing from Nevegal 2.3's UST to the 2.2 and they are a little lighter, roll better with a rounded profile and have similar grip on the rear. I consider this more of a rear tire due to the lack of projecting side knobs and round profile.

Weaknesses:    Hard to inflate on Mavic rims

Bottom Line:
    Good rear tire without being too aggressive. Now, looking for that perfect front...back to Highrollers probably.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mnt

Purchased At:   Full Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Highrollers, Nevegals, Octapus

Bike Setup:   Trail SCBLT2

Submitted by PAL a Weekend Warrior from poulton le fylde, UK

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2010

Strengths:    volume & traction. smooth out the trail and hook up pretty well on techy climbs. tyre envy due to big white tubeless logo !

Weaknesses:    compared to other tyres I have been running recently a slight increase in upward drag due to weight and tread pattern. during my weekly climb up the pike I was running 1 gear lower on two different occasions, so it must be fact.

Bottom Line:
    first experience of UST. limited use in the dry so far - will update again in a few months. bought from ribble £53 pair. mounted and sealed first time with a track pump. using bontrager wheels, rim strips, valves and fluid. searching for a do it all tyre for most seasons, varied weather and terrain. originally ordered bontrager XR4 in a sale but were out of stock, hence ended up in ribble and bought these. Im fairly happy. Maybe overkill for dry summer stuff. I ride with two camps - total techno geeks who buy and try everything, and stock brigade who change nothing. the stock brigade are usually ahead, so I guess we have to agree there is loads of hype around.

Favorite Trail:   lakes or trail centre

Purchased At:   ribble

Similar Products Used:   panaracers(cinders/rampage), specialized (resolutions), intense S4, maxxis various types. if I dont stop buying tyres I will get divorced!

Bike Setup:   140mm stumpy and 160mm sxc70 slayer

Submitted by Lax-n-MTB a Weekend Warrior from Frederick, MD

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2010

Strengths:    WIDE, good grip

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    These tires are huge. I was running Michelin Wildgrippers 2.1 and these tires looked cartoonish at first. I had no problem mounting them on my Cane Creek Zonos rims and inflating them with a floor pump. They just fit in the Magura fork. I have been running them at 30 psi and they have been a sweet ride. I ride rocky, rooty singletrack and these tires have had great traction. I am knocking off a chilli because they are so damn expensive!!

Favorite Trail:   Gambril

Similar Products Used:   first set of tubeless tires, ran Michelin Wildgrippers for years

Bike Setup:   '08 Commencal Meta 4x

Submitted by moshemark a Cross Country Rider from Gush Etzion, Israel

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    Large volume, good traction on loose rocks, wears slowly

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
    Inspires confidence on the rough stuff, good traction on loose rock climbs. I ride mostly dry rocky trails. These tires are heavy (esp. the 2.4 front), but I don't mind the extra exercise. I have noticed very little wear.

Favorite Trail:   Nachal Dolev--Har Yaaleh

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Advantage, Ardent

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo with Mavic 819 rims and Kings hubs. Rubber Queen 2.4 in front, 2.2 in back, both at 20-25 psi.

Submitted by BUGY a Weekend Warrior from Jerusalim, ISRAEL

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2010

Strengths:    Mounts easily. Amazing traction. Good breaking and climbing. Good cornering. Feels lively and responds to line changes, feels stable. Great as an Lite-AM/trail and not as an extreme AM tire.

Weaknesses:    rolling resistance. Wears to fast.

Bottom Line:
    I love this tire, it's good in all conditions, all weather all the time. It's only weakness is high rolling resistance and fast wear. I didn't have punctures for 6 months!
    Well I don't now what to say, it's a great tire, tray it. But be aware that this tire is sensitive to air pressure, and is best at low psi. (I had it rolling with less then 18 psi, but my standard is 25 psi. And they have very though sidewalls (good for the desert).

Purchased At:   PEDALIM

Similar Products Used:   MAXXIS: ignator,ardent,advantage, HR...
    Kenda Nevegal.
    WTB.

Bike Setup:   Turner 5.Spot- fox 150mm qr15, Mavic 819 on Hadley, XT/XTR.
    front: Kenda Nevegal UST 2.35 - 28psi.
    rear: Rubber Queen UST 2.2 - 20-30 psi (depends on the trak)

Submitted by Rex Luthor a Cross Country Rider from North Van

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    Not a bad technical climber considering 2.2 are the hard rubber.

Weaknesses:    Everything for a UST.

Bottom Line:
    Run from the 2.2's if you are buying UST's. THe 2.4's are in a different league (but still don't live up to the hype).

Evan after you have seated the 2.2's (and you'll need a good compressor or CO2 cartridge) you still cannot get them seated with a floor pump (you would think that after time they would conform to the shape of a tire and thus allow floor pump inflation on a true UST rim...no).

When you get these things out of the box and shape them out, nothing could say "not handmade in Germany" without actually saying it as this pieces of crap do. They are completely deformed and, as stated above, remain so in the even you ever have to patch them and thus must seek out a compressor or Co2 cartridge again. If all UST rubber was like this, nobody would use it.

These tires climb OK in a straight line, some solid traction. I think they are one of the worst descending tires I've ever used, especially in the wet: they will slide wherever gravity or the root they have met is pointed. And yes, in the wet all rears are squirrelly on the down, but these are just ridiculous.

I do run a 2.4 up front and it is OK...still a Minion UST, especially in wet, if miles ahead of the 2.4. Do not buy into the hype. These are not cheap tires, but at least the 2.4 are built right. The 2.2's are complete crap for real technical mountain biking like what is found on the north shore of Vancouver.

Favorite Trail:   Anything around here