Continental Mountain King UST Tubeless Tire

3.94/5 (16 Reviews)

The Mountain King UST is a fantastic all-mountain tire, especially when you run the 2.4" on both ends of your bike. For general purpose trail riding, pair the larger tire with the narrower 2.2" Mountain King UST in the rear, or for marathon racers who prefer a bit more speed, with the lower-knobbed X-King 2.2 UST as the back tire. Continental revised the UST Tubeless Mountain King tread pattern so that it's more open, with stronger, taller side knobs for more sure-footed cornering, especially on hard pack. The tread is made from Black Chili Compound rubber, where tiny particles of carbon are added to the tread. This allows the tire to conform to the ground more readily, aiding both wet and dry grip. And because it's a UST tire, the Mountain King can be run without a tube, with or without a sealant, and has a special bead specifically designed to be paired to UST rims for a perfect seal every time, all the time. Important: Although you can also run a UST tire on a non-UST rim, you won't achieve the same level of sealing because the rim won't be designed to wed with the tire bead as readily; there are conversion kits that allow you to turn a non-UST rim into a tubeless-ready setup, but they do nothing to change the design of the rim edge, which is the key UST innovation. Another point: Running the larger volume 2.4" tire is an ideal match for all-mountain riders who need the added protection of sealant in places with a persistent threat from thorns or baby heads (or both!), and for those who also want the extra cushion that a bigger-volume tire provides. The Continental Mountain King UST tire comes in a 2.2" and 2.4" width and has a 26" diameter. The tread is made from Black Chili compound rubber. The casing features 3 plies equalling 330 TPI under the tread and sidewalls. The UST bead is foldable and the tire is black on black. Claimed weights: 2.2" is 820g, 2.4" is 880g. Application: Trail/Marathon/All MountainGround: All Conditions

Submitted by Keith Lawrence a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2014

Strengths:    great climbing and great braking traction rolls great

Weaknesses:    hard to keep sealed on my stans zt arch wheels. keep stans on hand

Bottom Line:
Ive put over 300 miles on this on the rear of my carbon nomad. Love it its totally predictable. It tracks great rolls great. I keep mine at 26 psi. Its never burped on me its just hard to keep sealed don't know why. Its showing signs of wear but for up here in nor cal. I mean 98 miles to Oregon nor cal its a good all around tire.

Duration Product Used:   6 mos

Purchased At:   chain gang

Similar Products Used:   my go to rear wtb weir wolf

Bike Setup:   2012 nomad c 1x10 race face next carbon cranks xt breaks 720 carbon bars 50 mm havoc stem reverb wtb vigilante front stans str arch ex wheels

Submitted by Old Friend Jim a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2010

Strengths:    Overall a great tubeless tire.

Weaknesses:    Tires wear quickly, especially the rear.

Bottom Line:
At first I thought this tire was great, especially in dry, loose conditions, it also gripped well on slick rock. I still like the tire a lot; however it does wear much faster than other tires I have used recently. I like the softer rubber compound, so it is a tradeoff that may be worth it for the right riding conditions. I am not sure I would ride them in Moab again. Four chilis for value and rating, they would get five on both if the tread was more durable; however, they still are a good tire and do what they are designed to do very well.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal and Small Block Eight, various Maxxis

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC, XTR, Crankbros.

Submitted by prc68 a Weekend Warrior from Portugal

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2010

Strengths:    Exclt dry grip, OK with rock, wet grip is a problem

Weaknesses:    Price even on ebay..Not durable as rear try.

Bottom Line:
great try in the dry. Problem in wet even though widely spaced knobs help with the clay dirt where I ride. Used 2.4 front and both 2.2 and 2.4 rear. Wear rate on rear is pretty high. Eventually went back to the nobby nic which suits my riding conditions a bit better.

Favorite Trail:   Too Many

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Mk2 santa cruz nomad

Submitted by gschacht a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2010

Strengths:    Very predictable and great front and rear traction in the DRY ONLY. In the dry the front lets you know in a very controllable manner when it stars to drift or slide, put more weight on the front and lean some more and bingo, more traction. The rear has gobs of traction. I ride single track, fire roads and down fire lanes so I get a variety of conditions to test my tires in summer and winter.

Weaknesses:    Lethal in mud or wet - this tire SUCKS in wet and mud, very unpredictable, especially in the front if you are doing anything but slow up hill riding. Have your health insurance up to date if you plan on riding in the winter wet/mud!

Bottom Line:
Great tire for DRY ONLY! Expensive. Wear ok - I replace every other season and sometimes every season if we have had a lot of dry riding weather. I have had no problems with sidewall durability, burping or flats, but I do not jump with this bike. I run at 30 PSI front, 32 PSI rear and weigh about 178LBS. The bike weighs 32.6 lbs.

Note: I am rating for DRY riding ONLY.

Favorite Trail:   Forest Park

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Other Continental UST, Panaracer, etc

Bike Setup:   Mission 3, XT Groupo, TALAS 150 fork, Mavic 819 rims, UST tire

Submitted by headshot a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2010

Strengths:    Good grip, large air volume even in 2.2 and like other recent Conti tyres, wear is good with knobs getting smaller but retaining their sharp edges.

Weaknesses:    Am not convinced it or Race Kings have the casing strength as a general purpose tyre. For the first time ever, I managed to flatten this tyre on the front of my bike when I hit a rock while downhilling a gentle gradient on my local trail. The rock punctured the casing through the tread and also put a slit in the sidewall just above the bead. This is a weak spot as the sidewall proper seems tough. Its also virtually irreparable although I have done a patch job and its holding air at the moment but must still be test ridden. The wide tread spacing is good for shedding mud but leaves the casing more vulnerable - see below...

Bottom Line:
A lovely tyre, looks good, love the bold graphics but has questionable durability in my book. I am not that heavy (168 lbs)and although I ride aggresively I am not a dh racer. Perhaps I simply had bad luck, but in my book, a tubeless tyre should be able to deal with the odd sharp rock without flatting in two places. Based on my similar experience with a Raceking (probably on the same rock two weeks easrlier - I kid not - must still go back and check teh trail) i'd say that these tyres have a weakspot just at the bead and snakebite just like a tube. The Raceking was actually used as a rear tyre and the hole in the tread was smaller probaby because the closer tread protects the casing a bit better. I think I treated my Maxxis UST tyres pretty much the same but never had this kind of problem... i still say its a good tyre because it works well especially in the front but am marking it down for durability issues...

Favorite Trail:   Tokai

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis - X Mark and Larsen

Bike Setup:   100mm marathon bike, Fox suspension, full XT

Submitted by dorse a Weekend Warrior from Abbotsford

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    I was unable to run the pressure lower than 30psi with out the bead coming off the rim. Lots of burping. This tire is so light, it must be used with stan's or some other similar product. rear tire wears fast.

Bottom Line:
This tire works all right in loom or buff conditions. A little sketchy when wet.

Favorite Trail:   Xcellorator

Purchased At:   ???

Similar Products Used:   maxis, hutchitson

Bike Setup:   Nomad, Blur, Heckler, X9 and XO, all raceface components.

Submitted by ggnarl a Cross Country Rider from Tucson

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2010

Strengths:    Round profile makes for smooth predictable cornering at speed on hard pack.

Weaknesses:    Price. On the rear it will wear quick because it has less rubber per inch. But that makes it lighter!

Bottom Line:
This is a great front tire due to its round profile and evenly spaced knobs. On the back its gonna wear quick, I love this tire in 2.4 size on the front matched to a small block eight, larsen tt, or other close knob rear tire. I ran my last one for six months of frequent riding before replacing it. It is a little over priced at 58.00, but whats a extra 20 $ for a performing tire.

Favorite Trail:   Bugs Springs

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list

Bike Setup:   Giant anthem set up as a trail bike.

Submitted by charlesinoc a Cross Country Rider from S. Orange County

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2010

Strengths:    Quality build of tire consistent with any continental tire. Light weight. Comes in a pretty box.

Weaknesses:    Grip. Cornering. stability.

Bottom Line:
While descending a fire road at speed, this tire lacks cornering abilities. On straight aways downhill, it makes the hair on my the back of my neck stand up. It's sketchy and nervous, has a mind of it's own. Very slippery when wet on hard pack with rocks.

This tire is a very poor performer. If you want light weight but don't mind flying off the trail to your demise, buy this tire.

I don't understand how a simple tire could perform this poorly? Switched tire to a different brank, and my confidence is restored.

Favorite Trail:   Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kenda El Mocco, Kenda Small block eight, Panaracer Fire,

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo SL

Submitted by engr_dave a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2010

Strengths:    Stable, good cornering, super grip on rocks, easy to mount

Weaknesses:    tread wear

Bottom Line:
These tires grip well on every surface. Running 2.2 rear and 2.4 front. Definitely confidence-inspiring. Eats up dry and rocky desert terrain. Excellent puncture resistance with Stans. Tough sidewalls but I did manage to cut one right at the bead - probably from rock hit at too low pressure (<29psi). Problem is... center tread wears down really fast on the rear. Overall an excellent tire if you don't mind replacing the rear every six weeks.

Similar Products Used:   Huchinson Python, Maxxis Crossmark, Michelin XCR, WTB Velociraptor

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon XTR

Submitted by KevinK a Cross Country Rider from Sherman Oaks

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2010

Strengths:    This is the 2.4 UST version. Running at 30psi, ultimate grip,and adds stability. Goes over anything.

Weaknesses:    Heavy! Expensive.

Bottom Line:
One of the best tires I've ever used, period. Wide 2.4 foot print adds stability in sand, cornering, and over technical terrain.

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Continental Race King 2.2 UST, WTB Weirwolves 2.1 UST

Bike Setup:   05 Titus Talas Switchblade, Shimano XT Cranks/cassette/chainrings/chain/front derailleur, Sram X.0 gripshifts/rear derailleur, Formula 2010 The One brakes 180mm f/r, Masterpiece seatpost, Elite stem, Manitou Absolute Elite 140mm MY08 forks, Fox Talas shock, Mavic 819disc rims, DT Swiss 240s hubs, continental Mt. King 2.4 ust front, WTB Weirwolves 2.1 ust rear.

Submitted by RC a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Mounts easy, strong sidewalls, soft rubber grips rocks well, nice in the loamy soil.

Weaknesses:    wear, braking traction, cornering

Bottom Line:
tried only as a rear tire. Center of tread wore really fast. I found the braking to be poor, drifted easily in the corners and felt slow on pavement, hardpack. The sidewalls are great and mounting is easy. Seemed narrow for 2.2. Sheds mud well. Not my favorite tire for front range CO.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   maxxis advantage, crossmark, ignitor, nevegal,WTB stuff

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Epiphany, full XTR with DT Swiss 240, 4.2 tubeless set up, Thomson, Marta SL

Submitted by rey6201 a Cross Country Rider from Brownsville Tx

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2009

Strengths:    Grips very well though loose dirt, sand, and mud. Cornering is amazing. They make climbing a whole lot easier and they grip they well over roots.

Weaknesses:    A lot of resistance on hard pack and thats about it.

Bottom Line:
Overall I would suggest them to anyone looking for more grip. They do there job and are a great buy

Favorite Trail:   Brownsville Track and Field

Purchased At:   Bicycle World

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport

Bike Setup:   2009 Rockhopper Comp Disk. 2.2 front and rear.

Submitted by DGOBKR a Racer from Durango Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    Rails corners
Climbs anything
fun tire for training and fun-rides

Weaknesses:    A little extra rolling resistance when on hardpack

Bottom Line:
I put these on my training wheels to ride the spring trails around Dgo. My 1st ride in 2 months, and with these tires, I had no fear descending and riding tech lines fast. They rail corners really well and get up steep climbs without slipping out. I did notice the rougher ride on the roads, but these tires are for the mountain. If I need a a fast rolling tire I will stick with the Race Kings.

Favorite Trail:   Elbert Creek to Hermosa Creek