Continental Diesel Pro UST Tubeless Tire

Weight : 1000 grams

Tire and rim form an airtight chamber eliminating the need for an inner tube and making pinch flats a thing of the past. Tires can now be run at lower pressures without risk of pinch flatting, while greatly improving traction and ride quality. Lower pressures mean the tire can be far more dynamic in conforming to uneven terrain and obstacles, while greatly improving traction, the tire no longer glances off obstacles but rather absorbs them. The airtight butyl rubber liner on the inside of the casing can now be repaired with an ordinary patch just link an inner tube.

Submitted by mtbiker35 a Cross Country Rider from Salem, Oregon

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    A true 2.5 width tire. The Diesel is an impressive looking tire and it is all business. The Diesel tire work very well in wet, rooty, rocky terrain. I live in the NW and these are my winter tires. I run the Diesel's on the front and back wheel. I run these tires from November through April usually depending on the weather. The terrain is steep and rocky where I live and you usually aren't going super fast around here unless you're crazy. I usually run 22-25 psi in the front tire and 25-28 psi in the rear. These tires conform to the terrain nicely and you can really feel them bite into the wet ground. They are a predictable tire if you're riding them in the appropriate conditions. Once you go tubeless you'll never go back. I have only slashed one Diesel and I was able to repair it with a tubeless repair kit. These tires are very durable and last the entire winter riding season. The knobs are tall and soft which is why the Diesel isn't good for hard-pack conditions.

Weaknesses:    1000 grams, they feel a bit heavy on the climbs. Winter all mountain specific tire.

Bottom Line:
These tires are a all mountain winter tire only. Don't try these tires if you race xc. Don't run these tires in the summer months when the terrain is dry. The Diesel is the best winter tire I've tried so far. Only a moron would run this tire in the desert!

Favorite Trail:   Alpine, Moon Point, Lupine Letdown, Top Secret

Purchased At:   Santiam Bikes when t

Similar Products Used:   Continental Mountain Kings 2.4 UST, Schawbie UST, Michelin UST, Panaracer UST

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler, Fox fork, UST w/ King hubs, BB, Headset, Gravity Dropper Turbo

Submitted by El Bikobandito a Cross Country Rider from Lehigh Valley PA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
Usually I don't take the time to submit reviews but in this case I felt the Deisel's score didn't really reflect the tires performance. These are awesome tires! I am using it on the front of my Motolite and it holds everything! Just the other day there was a steep dirt embankment that starts off steep and goes to just about vertical at one of my fav trails. Anyhow, I was just playing around riding across the steep sides and the front tire was holding the line (the Deisel) and the rear Kenda was slippin and a slidin down the hill! (Sorry Kenda, I like your tires but the Deisels were kicking your can...Whats up with that?!?) Anyway I used the tire for a few months now and I can say it rolls well (for the agressive tread pattern), and grabs hold of everything. This tire was made for the rocks and roots of the Northeast! Its a little heavy but so what if you love riding the tech stuff. My Mantra is, "you don't have to be first to the top, but you better not walk any sections"

Great All-MTN tires...5 Chilis!

Purchased At:   Blue Sky

Submitted by twowheelsrock a Downhiller from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff sidewalls so low pressure can be run, good but not outstanding grip, $30/tire from PhatTire seemed like a bargain for a UST tire.

Weaknesses:    weighed 1050gms- not 1000gms, slow rolling, although stiff, the sidewall and tread cut easily, Not really a bargain as they were both torn up in less than 3 months.

Bottom Line:
These tires looked promising out of the box. Went on with my bare hands and pumped up with just a hand pump. Ran Stan's sealant as well, ~26 psi front, ~28 psi rr. On the trail, rocks, hardpack, sand, and general riverbed like trails, they performed well but never really wowed me (like the DHF-supertacky rubber and dualply, but heavy as sin @ over 1300 gms-balled in 2 months, and just too dang heavy for my all mountain rig). After 6 weeks, I got my first puncture through the center of the tread on the rear, too big a hole for stans to seal, so I pacthed it from the inside, and re-ran tubeless. Two weeks later, I tore another hole in the center of the tread which stan's wouldn't seal. Threw the tire out, tire was pretty worn anyway. Moved the front to the back and tore a hole in the sidewall shortly thereafter...another tire in the trash. Less than 3 months and both tires in the garbage. Despite looking like burly tires, they are not.
For what it's worth, ran them on a rainy ride in Flagstaff and they performed very well. I would say a decent tire for less rocky terrain than Phoenix offers, or for maybe the less aggressive. Tires probably would have survived longer if I lived in Flagstaff where there's more dirt than rock. All the above similiar tires used I tore holes in the tread or sidewall, or wore out in 6-12 weeks except for the Geax, still looking hardly worn at 3 months, and not a single flat or puncture.

Favorite Trail:   Spruce Mtn, Prescott

Purchased At:   Phat Tire

Similar Products Used:   Weirwolf 2.5 (not-UST), Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 (not-UST), Prowler MX 2.5 (not-UST), Geax Lobo Mas Loco 2.5 TNT (tubeless ready)

Bike Setup:   2008 Ellsworth Moment w/Roco Air TST-R & RS Lyric fork