Bontrager XR2 Tubeless Tire

4.22/5 (9 Reviews)

• Fast rolling XC tire designed for loose over hardpack
  • Closely spaced center area rolls easily

Submitted by Brook a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2013

Strengths:    Light, fast rolling, and aggressively priced.

Weaknesses:    Running as tubeless has a poor seal.

Bottom Line:
Using Bontrager (AKA: DT Swiss) rims, Bontrager tubeless rim strip, and Bontrager sealant on my own bike I thought I would have no problems getting the wheels to seat easy, BUT THEY DONT! I would like to point out that I was A Trek mechanic so I know what I am doing. I've had tubeless tires I can mount with a floor pump but after 2 CO2 cartridges and a lot of frustration I had to give up and use a compressor and it still went flat the next day when I needed it for a ride. I missed a good ride because of this miserable excuse for a tire. BTW I put a Specialized Butcher on the rear and had no trouble?!?!?

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek, CO

Purchased At:   Trek

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager XR4 Team Issued TLR Tubeless (original equipment for my Trek Remedy).

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 9.8

Submitted by Oli B a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight. Perfect tubeless qualities on Mavic Cross-Trail rims, minimal air leak and easy setup with a footpump.

Weaknesses:    Terrible grip on almost all conditions throughout the summer season, I even lost grip on a damp pavement (wasn't even going quickly) and ended up spinning 180 on a wet purpose built trail (I later did the same corner in the same conditions on Maxxis tyres at twice the speed). Twitchy in the dry, lethal on wet stones. They really knocked my confidence riding although as a plus point with a better tyre upfront they have improved my "drifting". Lot of road noise and they have worn down at a tremendous rate. Even on dry tarmac they slew about the rim in a really disconcerting way. The only conditions they were ok was very deep mud but thens thats an equaliser for most tyres.

Bottom Line:
I personally won't be buying these again, it's ashame because on paper they are ideal. You could possibly experiment with lower pressures, I generally use them around 30-40psi depending on conditions.

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula

Submitted by zippinveedub a Racer from Charlottesville, VA, US

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, Good traction, Excellent tubeless setup

Weaknesses:    Cost, Grip in mud

Bottom Line:
An awesome all around tire, I run these with 2.3 front and a 2.1 rear tubeless on bontrager wheels. Very easy to setup tubeless, nice high volume tire with much better traction and almost identical rolling resistance to a small block 8 at the same weight.

Favorite Trail:   Hi-de-ho, Carvins cove

Similar Products Used:   Kenda sb8, nevegal, panaracer fire xc

Bike Setup:   Trek top fuel

Submitted by nyczbubba a Cross Country Rider from Queens, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Strengths:    VERY FAST and light tire. I only pinch flat once with this tire. I am very surprised at how they corner and really how fast they are.

Weaknesses:    They wear out pretty quickly

Bottom Line:
Very good tire and definitely worth trying out. If you are into XC riding.

Favorite Trail:   Cunningham

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC pro, Maxxis High Roller, WTB Mutano Raptor, Maxxis DHR

Bike Setup:   Trek/Fisher Wahoo

Submitted by David_315 a Weekend Warrior from Greenfield

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2010

Strengths:    Fast rolling.

Weaknesses:    mud and damp rocks.

Bottom Line:
Just amazing. Could not have asked for a better tire.

Submitted by rideskake a Weekend Warrior from Chesterfield, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2010

Strengths:    Great cornering and very fast rolling tire.

Weaknesses:    Have not found one yet.

Bottom Line:
I replaced the XR1 that came on my new bike with these and could not be happier. They roll very fast and corner great at 26lbs in the front and 30 in the rear. I have not taken them in any extreme mud yet but will update when I do.

Favorite Trail:   Stoney Creek, Holly

Purchased At:   Macomb Trek Store

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager XR1, WTB Velociraptor

Bike Setup:   Stock 2010 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Submitted by offroadtoad a Racer from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2010

Strengths:    Good grip in wet sloppy conditions Fast rolling

Weaknesses:    Have not found one yet

Bottom Line:
These tires came on a used bike I bought and they were brand new. They hooked up on the gnarly North Shore trails a day after the rain. They were predictable across wet roots, loose rock gardens, steep descents, wet bridges. They shed the mud and crud with ease. Hooked up really well on steep ascents with wet roots. Other tires would have spun out.

The ride on pavement to and from the trail rolled fast. All around a pretty decent tire. I was surprised.

Decent tire here in Pacific NW where it rains a lot.
BTW I ran 35 PSI in the front and 40 PSI in the rear.

Favorite Trail:   Dustbin, Seven swithbacks

Purchased At:   Come on bike

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire xc pro, Nokian NBT NBX, Ritchey Z-Max Michelin, IRC

Bike Setup:   Stumpy FSR Expert

Submitted by mtbbiker@heart a Weekend Warrior from Corona, CA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    Rolls well, bites in the sands and loose sandy conditions

Weaknesses:    Muddy conditions, a bit slippery

Bottom Line:
Pleasantly surprised. These were the tires included with the bike, and I was planning to change them. After riding on these for a month, I have been very pleased with their performance. They grab very well in loose sandy over hard pack conditions (typical of So.Cal. riding). I have found them to ride well through cornering (did not feel my front tire slipping). If your Trek comes with these tire, give them a try before replacing, you maybe surprised.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso-Woods

Purchased At:   Circle City Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos XCII

Bike Setup:   Trek EX8

Submitted by a114808 a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Strengths:    Super (Surpisingly) fast rolling, great traction and cornering. Fits up nice Tubeless. Good in wet, loose conditions.

Weaknesses:    Not great in Muddy conditions.

Bottom Line:
My new universal tire for all of the conditions I ride in. Does most things really well, and I can ride it all day. The closely spaced center knobs allow the tire to roll really fast, but still provide great traction and braking. The tall shoulders allow for great cornering. Really good.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager XDX, Bontrager Jones XR, Kenda Small Block 8, Bontrager XR1, Specialized FastTrak LK.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX 8.

Syncros XR2.0

The Scott Scale 910 bike I'm about to purchase has Syncros XR2.0 wheels, does anyone have experience with Syncros wheels? The bike's a HT and I ride pretty aggressively, so I just want to make sure the wheels can handle the abuse.Read More »

Bontrager XR2 26" TLR

Looking for a lightweight tubeless ready rear tire for hardpack. The Bontrager XR2 TLR looks good and reviews are just as positive. Plus they have a 30 day return policy if the $45 Expert or the $55 Team (weighs about 100g less) didn't make you happy. Thinking the 1.9 or 2.1 for my 26" rear wheel. ... Read More »

XR2 TLR a XC tire?

Just got a pair of these tires...always looking for more speed! Impressive...just checked the Bontrager web site, got the following below. Also, this does NOT look like the typical XC tire. This tire does roll, grab and corner really well - and if it rains or condition get lose, this tire looks like ... Read More »

Anyone have the Bontrager XR2 or XR4 tires?

Will be looking for the replacement of my XDX tires pretty soon. Wanted something TLR and the XR2 seems like the way to go as an "all around". Looking at the tread and the descriptions, it should both roll faster and also have more grip in loose conditions then the XDX. Pretty much best of both worl ... Read More »