Bontrager XDX TLR Tubeless Tire

2.73/5 (15 Reviews)

• Versatile tread design
  • Tubeless Ready on 48/46 size
  • Tubeless Ready AR casing on 55/53 size
  • Aramid bead for low weight

Submitted by GTfreefall

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Great dry grip. Extremely fast roller!

Weaknesses:    Breaks out on corners. Not much traction in wet muddy conditions, but sheds the mud rather quickly

Bottom Line:
Running these on a Jekyll 3000. Great for straight climbs and dry xc trails. Not very good on wet or damp corners, especially with loose rock or shale. Seems the tires side walls are weak and flex no matter the air pressure. Recommend these tires for light xc or even rails to trails. 3 flames for aggressive xc riding.

Submitted by Trevorg a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls well.

Weaknesses:    Poor cornering traction, not great in muddy conditions. Sudden loss of air pressure when run tubeless.

Bottom Line:
Be very wary of these tires if you plan on running them tubeless! They do roll well but their cornering traction is not good. Climbing and braking they work okay but overall traction is poor and it does not make up for it despite their rolling ability. As others have experienced I had a sudden loss of air pressure which resulted in a crash. I had just railed a nice berm at speed and as I tried to straighten the bike out it was very difficult to control. I scrubbed up against the side of trail and then it was over the handle bars. Apparently when I railed the berm the tire burped and lost most of its air pressure so when I tried straightening out the tire was literally flopping from side to side on the wheel. I had ridden these tires about 800km tubeless without incident but when it did let go it let go suddenly. When I switched to a new set of tires I realized how much I was losing in traction and cornering compared to theses tires. I can't recommend these tires when there are so many other good options.

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Wild Racer, Schwalbe Racing Ralph.

Bike Setup:   Trek Superfly Elite 100

Submitted by ovlaicu a Cross Country Rider from Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    SUPER FAST ROLLING. I am not kidding. Mount this tubeless and you will fly.

Weaknesses:    Grip is minimal. Breaking power is lacking big time.
Cornering on these, is more of a slip-slidin' away business.

Bottom Line:
These came on my bike. Any type of cornering with the rear break on, will make it slide. Do not inspire confidence while cornering or breaking.
I rode in sandy or hardpack conditions and they behave the same.
They mount UST super easy. Put them on the rim, put the compressor, and it's done. At 20psi front and 25 psi rear, they absorb bumps, roots and ride rock gardens no problems. I did, roll my front one off the rim once, but it was my fault (way to fast and way to sharp corner and running 18 psi).
So, while they are super fast rolling (fast overall), I don't like them. They are not grippy enough for me.

Favorite Trail:   Mansfield

Purchased At:   Came on the bike

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Holly Roller, Tioga Blue Dragon, Panarecer X Fire

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX 9

Submitted by Ken365 a Racer from Johannesburg, South Africa

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2011

Strengths:    Tyres roll really well on hard pack.

Weaknesses:    These tyres do not like any loose gravel corners, they wash out. Riding 29' American Classic rims,with XDX tubeless convertion I had a massive blow out on the front, luckly I was climbing at the time and was able to stay up right. This happened more than once even after changing the tyres.

Bottom Line:
Very dissappointed with these tyres. Don,t feel safe riding them. Can not corner with any form of confidence. Braking on steep down hill slops, tyres wash out and just don't stop.

Favorite Trail:   Groenkloof

Purchased At:   Cyclelab, Johannesbu

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones xr 29', Michelin wild Race'r,

Submitted by raekism a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    Fast with less knobs.

Weaknesses:    Withh burp and fold on you running tubeless.

Bottom Line:
Using 29er version. Rode these tires for 6 months. 3 of the months with tubes and with the tubes I never felt right cornering or going up slightly muddy hills, they would not get traction. Then I went tubeless, and these tires burped on 3 occasions letting all the air out. The tire is not strong and buckles. Unfortunately I was going down a rocky downhill when the tire buckle/burped letting all the air out and I crashed. I swore I broke my leg but I just got really hurt, luckily nothing broke. USE THESE TIRES WITH EXTREME CAUTION. This is not just me, my buddy rides these tires and he experience the same thing more then once. I am now running Mountain Kings and I am happy.

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Bike Setup:   GF 2009 Paragon

Submitted by davidpol a Racer from Greensboro

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent rolling resistance, great traction in all types of NC weather and terrain, light.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to mount on Olympic ZTR rims.

Bottom Line:
These are the very best tires that I've used for North Carolina trails. Much better than Geax, Panaracer and Michelin's that I've previously used. Very fast, great traction and very light. Holds air well. Can't believe another Greensboro rider has had such trouble with these - I have 2 years on mine without the slightest problem

Favorite Trail:   Owls Roost

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, Michelin, Geax, Continental

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR drivetrain, Avid Juicy Ultimate brakes, Chris King headset and hubs, Monkey Lite SL bars, Thompson seatpost and stem, Olympic XTR rims.

Submitted by seandm a Weekend Warrior from rio verde, az USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    hooks up well as a rear. price for a tubeless ready tire is excellent. Geax tnt tires are the same price and come nowhere close in performance out here.

Weaknesses:    none so far. Bigger nobs than the racing ralph, probably cause a little more rolling resistance, but it is negligible. Sidewalls seem to be thin, but not as thin as Specs 2-bliss sidewalls. i bombed down thru sharp rocks on bell and had zero issues.

Bottom Line:
seems to be a decent cheaper alternative to the schwalbe racing ralphs. They grip quite well as a rear and rail corners to the point where i dont feel like i am even pushing them. I was climbing up prospector in the mcdowells and it just seemed to dig down and hook up without slipping whatsoever.

Going to get another one and run it on the front.

Favorite Trail:   mcdowells

Purchased At:   trailhead

Similar Products Used:   racing ralphs for the tread and about a handful of others in my never ending quest to find a good set of tires.

Bike Setup:   pivot mach 5, bonty race lite rims.

Submitted by Taps a Weekend Warrior from Espoo Finland

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2010

Strengths:    Rolls very nicely on hard surfaces and gives consistent grip. Work suprisingly well in snow.

Weaknesses:    Less than perfect grip in wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
Much better tyre than first impressions might indicate. Very good for all around biking.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Minion, Swable Nobly Nic.

Bike Setup:   Roscoe III

Submitted by sauerkraut a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro, NC

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2010

Strengths:    fast rolling, good performance when trail is perfectly tacky, performs best at low, low air pressures; 12-18 psi

Weaknesses:    won't stay on the rim (!), slips in loose soil

Bottom Line:
BEWARE! I have run these tires tubeless on Stan's Arch rims since I purchased them a year ago. I'm 190 lbs and run a full suspension GF. After installing and putting in the Stan's sealant and letting them sit overnight I took them out on the first ride, running them in the 25-30 psi range, and unbelievably, near the end of the ride, the rear tire blew completely off the rim. Luckily it was on a climb. Sounded like a shotgun blast and sealant went everywhere, but most noticeably the backs of my legs. The tire was intact, so I remounted it using a tube, rode home and returned it to my LBS. They replaced the tire without questions, and I had no problems for 11 months. On my most recent ride the rear tire finally decided to blow off AGAIN, this time at high speed, and I'm lucky I didn't kill myself AND the dude behind me. He commented on the aerosolized sealant mist cloud the blowout produced, and was surprised I managed to stop without a crash using only the front brake and the tireless rear rim. Again, tire was completely intact and was remountable, but feel that a burp of this magnitude is entirely unacceptable, not to mention scary as h*ll. Again, I was running them in the 30 psi range, so maybe that's too high. No more Bontragers for me. As long as they stayed on the rim I was reasonably satisfied with their performance, but feel there are MANY better TLR tires to choose from.

Favorite Trail:   Wild Turkey

Purchased At:   Paceline

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Jones, Crossmarks, Small block 8,

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29er

Submitted by marioribeiro a Weekend Warrior from Portugal - Lisboa

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2010

Strengths:    Ints only a fast roller for a 2.4 size

Weaknesses:    Its a very bad and dangerouse tire. Very week with low durability. To have a flat tire.. its just a matter of time.

Bottom Line:
Be aware when using this tire - VERY DANGEROUSE

Favorite Trail:   Sintra

Purchased At:   Came with the bike G

Bike Setup:   GF ROSCOE II - All Mountain Enduro - Amazing Bike

Submitted by wilki a Cross Country Rider from Canmore

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    Hardpack-ran fast and provided decent traction on hardpack both descending and climbing

Weaknesses:    Anything loose- Frankly I found this tire dangerous. I went down three times during a ride I have done a number of times before on different tires. As soon as the trail got loose the tire became skittish and on corners it slide like it was greased. I had to walk sections of trail because the tire felt too unpredictable. Even on straight loose sections I was super tense because the tire felt like it wasn't gripping. Even slipped more than other tires I've used going uphill on slightly loose trails.

Bottom Line:
This is potentially the worst tire I have ridden when trail conditions are even a little loose. I've ridden it at varied pressures and still same result. There is no way I can trust gthat this tire won't skid out on me at speed in corners. So its gone, will replace it with Motoraptors, Fire XC Pros or Nevegels.

Favorite Trail:   Jumpingpound

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Smoke, IRC Mythos, WTB Motoraptor, Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX 9.8

Submitted by Salem Biker a Weekend Warrior from Salem, Mass

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    Free With Bike, sure it is great on some conditions... Don't care to find out what they are.

Weaknesses:    Maiden Voyage, took a header, on a corner I have ridden 100 Times, high speed on my 26'er. I have no confidence at all in corrners. In the North East, the trails are the most difficult from all trails I have ridden in 15 years and all over the country. The loose stones, and gravel on berms is all you need to send you sailing without your bike.

I have no desire to use them again, or to try and play with Tire pressure.

Bottom Line:
When I find a 29er front tire that works as good as my 26er in the corners, then I will let you folks know.

The WTB Weirwolf looks like it will work, but I will wait till they come out with a 2.2 inch version. I do not want to carry 2 different size spare tues in my back pack, plus you can't pump up a 2.5 inch 29 on the trails with a hand pump.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   Came With G.F. Cobia

Submitted by CyclingDanimal a Cross Country Rider from Salt lake city UT

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2009

Strengths:    Great grip in dry conditions, sheds mud very well, rolls super smooth. 1.9 size is quite light @ 490 grams.

Weaknesses:    2.1 and 2.4 size are a little on the heavy side @ 610 and 700 grams. A bit pricey.

Bottom Line:
This tire grips extremly well when climbing(way better than the tread pattern would suggest). It corners well even though the front end does'nt feel totally planted, but I've never had a slideout. The vauge feeling while cornering may be due to the lack of agressive cornering knobs and the fact that I had the 1.9 size on the front until I bought a Mutano Raptor. I find that the tires work best for Me at 25ish psi in the rear and 27ish in the front under my 135 lb body. I currently use a 2.1 Bontrager XDX in the rear and a 2.4 WTB mutano raptor race in the front and I love this combonation. I have'nt used these tubeless yet, but I plan to very soon. I might like them even more when I do.

If these were $5 - $10 cheaper, had slightly larger cornering knobs and the bigger sizes(2.1 & 2.4)were about 90 grams lighter they would get 5 Flamin' chilis all around.

Purchased At:   http://slcbike.com/

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager revolt SS, Specialized roll X pro, WTB mutano raptor.

Bike Setup:   2002 Specailized Stumpjumper hardtail.

Submitted by nebulus911 a Cross Country Rider from Newark, DE

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2009

Strengths:    Good all-around tread for mid-atlantic riding. Hooks up well in most conditions. Slightly thicker sidewall makes this tire feel pretty puncture resistant. It also installs really well into Stans Arch rims.

Weaknesses:    Thicker sidewall makes this tire a bit on the heavy side for weight weenies and xc racers. I'm about 200 lbs, and race, but I like a little more bulk in my tires to feel like they'll hold up under all the pounding. On the expensive side

Bottom Line:
Great all around-tire and good for racing as well. Probably best for a masher like me who's not as graceful as the rest of the riders. If you can get these on sale, they're a great choice for 29ers.

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ignitors, Bontrager Jones.

Bike Setup:   Moots Mooto-X YBB

Submitted by ZombieFood a Weekend Warrior from Margate, Fl

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2008

Strengths:    Durable, grips and corners well. Good traction. Rolls very nice. Work well in most conditions. Dry and hardpack. sugar sand, wet hardpack, dust over hard.

Weaknesses:    none yet. May not like thick pudding like mud but it sheds light mud off rather quickly.

Bottom Line:
Surprisingly nice tires. I was planning on swapping them out right away as I never liked other Bontrager tires very much. I have been running these with tubes @ 30lbs and no problems at all. I take rock gardens and crazy roots no problems. Climbing is great and it sticks to the trail very well especially in turns. It does not look like it will as the side knobs are not aggressive looking but looks sure fool. It performed very well on corners. I also have not slid out on dust over crust instances.

Going tubeless with them soon and will run at 25lbs to pull me over the wet roots.

Favorite Trail:   Markham