Bontrager Revolt Super X Tubeless Tire

4.13/5 (16 Reviews)
Weight : 670g MSRP : $45.00

Their premier race tire. Lightweight race conditions tire rolls fast, corners well and hooks up in all but the most extreme terrain. Small medium depth, closely spaced knobs with stiff edges and a rounded profile to shed mud easily. Unique casing diameter is slightly larger than tread width giving increased tracking, cornering, climbing and breaking performance in rough, rocky terrain. 26" X 2.1" traditional size / 49mm casing diameter / 48mm maximum tread width. Tubeless. Blackwall.

Submitted by Uncle_Mike a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    Extremely fast rolling, light, surprisingly capable

Bottom Line:
Bought this tire to have a fast roller in my collection and found myself riding it a lot of the time. Didn't expect it to be good at much else but was pleasantly surprised when it just didn't lose traction where my other all-arounder tires had.
Mostly though, the tire just feels very fast. Slashed one but can't blame the tire. Would recommend for fast smooth singletrack.

Similar Products Used:   Pythons, Mescals, FastTraks, and many others

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic - XTR build

Submitted by spedrunr a Cross Country Rider from chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    lightweight, fast

Bottom Line:
I had IRC Mythos 2.2's and the front end was squirly and washing out on sandy/hardpack corners. I put the Bonty Revolt on the front and the handling went from a 5 to a 9. I thought I needed a more aggressive tire (larger knobs) but this did the trick. The trails I listed are mostly dry, hardpack with loose sand. I'd buy more of these if I could find them at the flea market price that I paid ($15?) I'm going to try the Michelin XC Dry2's (2.15 and 2.3)

Favorite Trail:   papago, desert classic, usery pass, trail 100

Purchased At:   flee market

Bike Setup:   Titus Evolution Ti, full XTR, Marzocchi 80mm Bomber

Submitted by Dave Tapson a Cross Country Rider from Benoni

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2009

Strengths:    VERY fast rolling, secure feeling handling

Weaknesses:    Picks up mud like s..t to a blanket. Possibly not as robust on sharp rock as could be - but these are designed as light, racing tires.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic for hard pack and tar (asphalt) - did fine for me in sand, terrible in mud - in fact, worst than nothing. Have changed to Conti MK's only because of the bad mud handling, but miss them every time I ride my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the bush

Purchased At:   Cajees

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegals, Conti MK's

Bike Setup:   GT iDrive, pretty standard

Submitted by bykephast a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2008

Strengths:    light, very very fast. like a mich comp S light but with side walls.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
awesome in dry weather. dry weather. only ride them when its dry. dry.

Favorite Trail:   devils gulch

Purchased At:   team

Similar Products Used:   so many... piles and piles of torn and worn tires in the basement.

Bike Setup:   trek 9.8 Sram Fox

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Traverse City, MI

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2008

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, tubeless ready, lightweight

Weaknesses:    Not an all-conditions tire

Bottom Line:
The low rolling resistance and tubeless readiness make these tires great for racing and fast XC riding. I use them with Bontrager Juice. I run them at 25-30psi for a smooth ride and they still roll easy. They do OK in the sand, if you know how to ride it. I wouldn't recommend these for wet conditions. They seem to pick up and hold a lot of soil when its wet. IMPORTANT NOTE: To get good cornering bite you have to exagerate the lean of your bike more than an all around tire. This helps the taller outside knobs get a good grip. Once I figured that out, I was suprised on how well they corner.

Similar Products Used:   Mutano Raptors, Conti Verticals, Nevegals, Fire XC, others

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 hardtail, tubeless ready wheels

Submitted by Randall a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, Arizona

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2007

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    They cost money, take time to mount, take time and more money to replace.
Weight, durability, quality

Bottom Line:
I ride in the desert on the roughest trails which will test any tire to the extreme. There really isn't a terrain that will test a tire more harshly than the trails I ride.
The good:
Fair traction.

The bad:
Super fast wear time. knobs rip right off exposing carcass. Sidewalls are WEAK.

Won't buy another Bonty tire. Not while in Arizona. The good doesn't outweigh the bad. Perhaps on less harsh trails, this tire would be optimum. For now, it's Conti all the way. Have had no problems with the Vertical UST or the Vapor UST.

Favorite Trail:   The one that takes me away

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Conti Vapor and Vertical, Maxxis Ignitor and Larsen

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Marathon, Crossmax SL, Fox Talas

Submitted by Giorgio a Cross Country Rider from Vina del Mar, Chile

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2007

Strengths:    light, low rolling resistence, great cornering

Bottom Line:
I bought this pricy tire last year and I just have good things to say about it. I have ridden this tire on rocks, hardpack, trails and I was sorprised about its performance.

If you want a durable, lightweight and fast tire for XC you should buy this one.

Does anyone know where can I find this tire on Internet ?

Similar Products Used:   maxxis larsen tt 2.0, intense system2 2.0

Submitted by tony a Cross Country Rider from hugoton,ks

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2007

Strengths:    light weight, very fast rolling, no air loss, bullet proof with specialize tire sealant!!!

Bottom Line:
i ride it all but the big rocks. i'm in sw ks. in deep sugar sand there is less control on the front and requires better rythym pedaling the rear. the payoff on the hard pack and single track is well worth it. i also ride these things through pastures with no trail. i've ridden in weeds 4 ft high and not flatted!!! not sure what the other reviews were using. i use specialize or goodyear sealant with near perfect results. speed with reliability!!!!!

Purchased At:   bike depot amarillo,tx

Similar Products Used:   specialize pro, wtb

Bike Setup:   mountain cycle slix

Submitted by Stanley a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2005

Strengths:    Tires came with the bike, which I bought new in Vail, CO. I like the tire for DRY conditions. Very good in rocky dry terrain (i.e., Colorado) and dry XC conditons. Holds air pressure very well on the Bontrager rims. I can leave it sit a week with only 5psi reduction. I have not had any problems with punctures.

Weaknesses:    Does NOT shed mud. Substantial diminuation of control in wet condtions and packs with mud easily in just wet situation where trail is still hard. Very hard to remove tire from rim(probably why it holds air so well). The one time I did get a thorn in the tire (which did not go flat until I pulled out the thorn at home) I was smart to take it to the bike shop to remove and repair.

Bottom Line:
Great tire for dry conditions. Choose something else when the trail gets damp.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Bike Setup:   2004 Klein Palomino X with Avid mech disc with Avid FR1 levers, LX hollowtech crankset, SRAM XO rear der, SRAM X9 tigger shifters, XT front der, Bontrager Race rims,Fox Float 100RL front shock, Maverick rear shock

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from salt lake city, utah USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
My apologies for the previous review! The crap tires soon to grace my dumpster are "Revolt Super X"...NOT "UST"...I'm
kicking down 5 chilis to offset my Single chili rating....sorry!!!

Favorite Trail:   any

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2005

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Sucks up thorns
Way tight fitting
mediocre cornering

Bottom Line:
These tires are the worst I've ever used. I've taken the bike out twice, and these tires have grabbed up thorns both times! One at the rear as I WALKED the bike out of my driveway, and one in front while riding on PAVEMENT. I know better than to leave these on and risk it on a trail! Yes, I'll be throwing these brand new tires into the trash tomorrow! Also, you'd better have a bucket of soap or some wicked bad ass tire levers for these or a lot more patience than I've got..............

Purchased At:   Guthries

Bike Setup:   05 Klein Attitude XV

Submitted by Jay Hev a Racer from Elmira, N.Y.

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2005

Strengths:    Great tire for low rolling resistance! Hooks up well overall if you know how to ride but if your a poser they won't work for you!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is they are lighter than any other tubless tire I have tried and they roll fantastic! If you are into longer races and epic rides opt for the 2.1's and you will fly!! They handle very well and fly on the flats what more could you ask for, unless you are a poser!

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Kingsbur's cyclery

Bike Setup:   04 Specialized Epic Comp tweaked to my liking!

Submitted by David S a Racer from Roswell, Ga

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Strengths:    -Low rolling resistance
-Light, but not superlight
-HIGH VOLUME (these things are huge compared to 2.1 Michelin CompS's) which equals better comfort for enduro events (24 hr races)
-Good cornering
-THEY ACTUALLY WORK IN SAND (better in rear, actually).
-Good dry conditions tire, ideal for granite or sandstone slickrock and such

Weaknesses:    -Load up in mud

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent tire for enduro events such as 24 Hour races and even regular XC events IF IT IS DRY. They stay hooked up very well in a variety of conditions, as long as the ground is not wet. They are the best tires I have used in sand except for maybe the WTB Velociraptor, but that is because of the huge paddles in the rear also that slow it down on fast hardpack. They are high volume, which means they are comfortable. This may not mean a lot to a short-track XC racer or someone who does a 1.5-hour ride a couple days a week, but when you're on that saddle for extended periods such as in enduro races, especially on a hardtail like me, even that extra cm. of cushioning helps. These tires came on my Trek that I built up custom and I took them off immediately for a wet race and was planning on getting the Hutchinson Pythons for dry conditions, but then the Hutchinsons got backordered and didn't get here in time for the next race, which was at a dry location, and I had to put these back on. I was pleasantly surprised by their performance. However, I took them out on a training ride later in the mud, and needless to say, they don't clear mud at all, nor will any other dry-conditions race tire with small knobs this close together. They do corner rather well when used as a front tire, and will handle off-camber trails nicely. However, these are not the lightest tires I have used, being 700 grams, which is about 20 grams heavier than the Michelin CompS UST that I use in the mud. So, if your bike comes with these, don't be afraid to use them. Just because they are not from Maxxis or Michelin or Hutchinson or some other other big reputable brand, they still hold their own agains them on hardpack. But if you're in the market for a dry conditions racing tires, I would really go with the Michelin JetS or Hutchinson Python.

======================================

One very important thing people need to realize is that there is no such thing as an ALL conditions tire. A tire maybe either good in the wet or good in the dry, or somewhat good at both but not excellent in either. You can't slap a set of tires on your bike and expect them to work flawlessly in every condition. It is not possible. There is no tire, no matter how expensive, that does this. You need to evaluate your needs and determine whether you need 2 sets of tires or whether 1 set of "do it all" tires will cut it. If you're a racer like me, you will soon realize that you need 2 sets. It only takes friggin 10 minutes to change both tires so what's the big deal? You show up to the race with the tires you think you'll want to race with, but also have with you the other set; and, if conditions are different than you expected, you change them out. Most racers do it this way, everyone from Pro's like Roland Green to Junior Experts like me. If you are a recreational rider or just getting into racing, don't go off and get 12 stes of tires for every month. It's ridiculous. I when I was 7'th place in the beginner category (man, those were the days), I wasn't racing with factory support or whatever and I had one set of tires: IRC Mythos's. They worked reasonably well in most conditions and they held up for an entire season which isn't even close to how much I get out of my Michelins now.

Later guys!
-David

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   BikeTown USA

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Python UST Tubeless

Bike Setup:   2003 Trek Elite 9.8 Team Edition, Rock Shox SID Team, XTR, Avid Mech. Discs, Mavic Wheels, Thomson

For reference, I'm 17, 135 lbs, run 30 lbs front and rear for endurance races, and 40 lbs front 35 lbs rear for regular races but I only use them in dry conditions. For wet, I use Michelin CompS UST (front) and Michelin XlS UST (rear).

Submitted by nin_123 a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2003

Strengths:    Comparatively light, good all around general tire - rolls fast

Weaknesses:    not good in cornering, traction is fair, air leaks relatively fast when it's idle, did receive a small puncture

Bottom Line:
I've been riding on these tires for about 2 months and about 200 miles. I usually ride around 35psi. out on a ride I got a small puncture and I don't know what from rock or thorn. I was riding at 30 psi at the time and I was very surprised because I've been riding in that general area for years and never recieved a puncture like that.
On the up side it did get me through a 3.5 day adventure race where you ride a lot of fire roads some pavement and some single track. these tires are good for general XC but if you start hitting a lot of single track and mud maybe move up to the panaracer fire xc.

Favorite Trail:   fahnstock state park