Bontrager Jones ACX Tubeless Tire

3.47/5 (19 Reviews)

• Tubeless-Ready technology optimizes the tire for use with sealant, which saves nearly 100 grams per wheel (over tubeless) and provides race-proven performance
  • Tubeless bead provides positive bead lock and better bead sealing (than standard tires) when used on tubeless rims

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by John plymouth GT a Cross Country Rider from Canada Ontario

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2011

Strengths:    Work Well Off Road And On Road! Well Worth The Money!

Weaknesses:    Not That i Know of! No Weaknesses!I Mean Nothing Last Forever But i Rather be Safe Then sorry!

Bottom Line:
    The Only reason Why I Put Bontrager Jones acx on! Because My Orginal Tires Are Kenda k831 They Where about 13 years old! They Where bald and Cracking!And if i Have 2 Replace Bontrager Jones acx I Will! As Long as They Hold For 10 Years if Possable!I was Told These Are Higher Tires!

Favorite Trail:   any trail will do!

Purchased At:   They Where Givein 2

Similar Products Used:   I Was Doing Some Shopping Around And Was Told These Are The Best!

Bike Setup:   i Have Both Tires Front And Back!(26x1.95)

Submitted by Quincy Cahvez a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2010

Strengths:    Stubby, Grippy (most of the time), Light, Narrow

Weaknesses:    Wears out quickly

Bottom Line:
    These are good tires, they speedy when you want to go fast but tend to slip around the trails here in northern phoenix with the sand and rock. I'll most likely buy another set when they're worn down.

Favorite Trail:   North Mountain/Squaw Peak Back Alley

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Bike Setup:   09 Trek 4500 Alpha

Submitted by Pooolio a Cross Country Rider from GVegas, SC

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Man are these tires fast! These tires will role all day and are very good around turns.

Weaknesses:    Traction on climbs is not that great. After about 100 miles the (huge) knobs on the tires show some serious wear.

Bottom Line:
    These tires are great while they last. As I said I only have around a 100 miles and they are about half way worn. If you have money and don't mind changing tires every couple of months, then they would be suitable. As for performance, these tires are like a porshe around turns.

Favorite Trail:   The one near my house

Submitted by randyharris a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2009

Strengths:    Tubeless, not heavy, great tire in hard and loose terrain.

Weaknesses:    Washes out in sandy bits.

Bottom Line:
    I like these tires and would be a regular user if I didn't live in the Phoenix AZ desert region where I ride a fair amount of sandy stretches on my rides.

Favorite Trail:   Dreamy Draw Trail 100 / 1A / 8

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager XDX, Kenda Tomac Small Block 8, Geax Sedona, Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Bike Setup:   2008 Kona Hei Hei 2-9

Submitted by Boy Arden a Downhiller from London UK

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2009

Strengths:    I can't believe some of the reviews that these tyres have been given! I found this page whilst looking for some new tyres after having these on for three years! I have had only a handful of punctures in that time. I have had no problems with grip and am only changing them because they have now warn out.

Weaknesses:    Not recommended for road use - they're not designed for it so it makes it hard work!

Bottom Line:
    Never had a problem with these tyres in all conditions and on all surfaces. I would buy them again!

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by bluealien a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Strengths:    Great tires. Stick well on hardpack, rock, loose and sand. I am really glad I changed to theses tires.

Weaknesses:    These are a bit pricey in stores, but little better online.

Bottom Line:
    I'm pleased with these tires so far. I bought them since I wasn't happy with other Bontrager Trail tires that were on the bike. I use to race motoX, and these tires so far fell the closest to how my bike felt without washout.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   26 x 2.10" IRC Mythos XC

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar

Submitted by hikerdave a Weekend Warrior from Tempe, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    Great on hard pack and excellent on pavement. Very durable.

Weaknesses:    Not so good on sand. Very difficult to mount (Full Tubeless version)

Bottom Line:
    Good predictable tire with a very round profile. This would be best if you like to go fast and rail corners at high speed -- the side knobs hardly show any wear at all after months of use on the front. Because the tire wears so well but still has great traction, I'll give it great marks for value.

Very good for a narrow tire (actual width is around 2.1, not 2.25 as advertised). I think that this tire could be mounted on a wide rim and actually perform a little better, because more of the side knobs would contact.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic

Purchased At:   Landis Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire AM, Panaracer Fire, Continental Vertical, Specialized Resolution, Schwalbe Albert, IRC Trail Bear

Bike Setup:   Bionicon Golden Willow

Submitted by Jester1911 a Weekend Warrior from New Wilmington, PA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2009

Strengths:    Jones ACX 29er tubless ready's are what I'm reviewing.

Great tires. Stick well on hardpack and rock. I use these as my goto tire. Load up with mud, but somehow these are the best tires I've ran in the mud

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
    I'd reccomend this tire to anyone looking for a good all around tire.

I run it tubless on stans wheels, and havn't had to air them in 3 months. No tears running at 20 psi over western PA rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Moraine State Park

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer rampage, kenda karma

Bike Setup:   spec stumpy 29er

Submitted by verve825 a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2009

Strengths:    Grips really well on a wide variety of surfaces, very consistent in its adhesion, super tacky, a great climbing tire,

Weaknesses:    Wears somewhat quickly. In my book, this is a small price to pay. I mean, sure, you can buy whatever cheapest at the local bike shop and deal with what you get, but tires are really critical to ride quality- buy what works, and these tires work well.

Bottom Line:
    Superb tires, deceptively simple tread design works extraordinarily well across a variety of surfaces and trail conditions.

Similar Products Used:   Many, many different tires.

Submitted by mtbdss a Cross Country Rider from Fort Mill, SC

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2008

Strengths:    Works well for loose and slippery terrain. Lightweight for this type of tire. Rolls relatively well considering the large knobs.

Weaknesses:    Have only ridden about 100 miles on them so far, but they don't corner as well as the last tires I had (Continental Vertical Pro)

Bottom Line:
    I'm pleased with these tires so far. I bought them since I wasn't getting any grip this fall once the leaves fell and the extra moisture made the terrain more slippery. They grip much better than the old tires did over the leaves and wet roots.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport

Similar Products Used:   Conti Vertical Pro, Panaracer Fire XC Pro

Bike Setup:   2008 Kona Four Supreme

Submitted by kashmore a Racer from Farmington

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2008

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    Very weak casing. Very thin. Not good for sharp rocks, or anything that could poke through.

Bottom Line:
    Expect to have issues with punctures and tears if you ride on anything but the SMOOTHEST trails. Be ready. Put Slime or Stans in there, and use a little extra pressure in the tire for sealant use. Also be ready with a tube, and a patch kit to repair tire.

Favorite Trail:   CO Trail

Purchased At:   LBS on New bike

Bike Setup:   GF Superfly, 2008, stock. This tire came on it.
    Changed to the DryX tires, tubeless ready. Much better rolling tire, and can take more abuse. The DryX are heavier, but I haven't had any problems.

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    - For the type of tire they are very light and roll well
    - Great grip on all types of terrain
    - Shed mud well
    - Handle the corners well
    - Very punture resitant, strong (i'm a heavy rider and have yet to get a flat and any damage)

Weaknesses:    - Tread can wear quicker than some other tires, but thats the price for grip
    - Expensive at the bike shop and hard to find online

Bottom Line:
    The Best all around tire I have ever used.

Similar Products Used:   Pretty Much everything

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 5

Submitted by TeamSteveMcQueen a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn!

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    All

Bottom Line:
    Absolute crap. If you enjoy washing out front and rear, or perhaps the taste of dirt or the oozing of blood gets you going then this is the tire for you. Avoid at all costs. Take off your new bike and throw in the trash. Don't even try giving them to someone for free. That might be considered attempted homicide in some states. Shame, Bontrager, Shame.

Similar Products Used:   WTB,IRC, Panaracer

Bike Setup:   Kona King Kikapu, all XT

Submitted by denverchiro a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2008

Strengths:    Decent grip. Will allow you to pick new, better tires without the wife objecting.

Weaknesses:    Defenseless against punctures. Almost got me killed on a bike path when tube blew from thorn. My continentals on another bike NEVER had this problem.

Bottom Line:
    Crap. Would never, ever ride again. Fisher should find better stock tires, or just sell the damn bikes without tires so you won't walk 4 miles with 2 flats on a frickin' bike path. Thanks to the guy with the pickup who drove me home.

Submitted by gmo from North Potomac, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2008

Strengths:    Cornering in dry conditions is very good

Weaknesses:    Poor casing strength. Easy to tear.

Bottom Line:
    These make a good front tire, and not as good rear. In somewhat dry conditions they bite real well. In wetter conditions they are not bad, but not great either. After about 4 rides on the rear tire i changed to tubeless but unfortunately had 2 large cuts in the tire that even stans couldn't fix.

My race setup is Jones ACX TLR in the front, Dry-X (XDX) in the rear. I would buy these tires again for the front as they work well and use the great TLR system. For rear, for most summer US conditions, Dry-X would be better with its ARC (abrasion resistant coating).

Favorite Trail:   Frederick Watershed