Bontrager Jones AC UST Tubeless Tire

A lightweight race tire that rolls fast, corners well and hooks up in extreme terrain. Compatible with most tubeless wheel systems. Medium height, tightly spaced, square tread blocks and wide contact patch Edge knobs are well reinforced to provide linear cornering response with reduced squirm Tread pattern designed for both front and rear wheel use

Submitted by David Campbell a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Caseing is small for stated size

Bottom Line:
Six miles into my normal tuesday 16 mile ride this tire riped on the tread side. The way this happened it seemed to me a defect in the casing. When I returned to the Trek store I was told I most likly ran over a sharp rock.And was offered a new tire for cost {28.00}.I told them Running over sharp rocks was the point of my ride,and to use a tire that couldn't hold up to this was pointless.So I deposited the Jones AC UST in the recycle bin and exited never to return.

Favorite Trail:   Book Cliffs

Purchased At:   Trek Store La Mesa

Bike Setup:   Kona unit single speed

Submitted by randall a Cross Country Rider from scottsdale, arizona

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2007

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Durability/quality

Bottom Line:
I ride in the desert on the roughest trails which will test any tire to the extreme. There really isn't a terrain that will test a tire more harshly than riding the trails where I ride.
The good:
Good (ONLY good/not great) traction, light weight, come up to speed very easily, climb well. Bonty gave me a new tire on warranty, however, I don't want to have to deal with a warranty, I want to RIDE!

The bad:
knobs rip right off exposing carcass. Rubber wears quickly.

Won't buy another Bonty tire. Not while in Arizona. The good doesn't outweigh the bad. Perhaps on less harsh trails, this tire would be optimum.

Favorite Trail:   McDowell Mountain Competitive track

Similar Products Used:   Conti Vapor and Vertical, Maxxis Larsen and Ignitor

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Marathon, Crossmax SL, Fox Talas

Submitted by Tom Matthews a Cross Country Rider from El Paso, TX,USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2007

Strengths:    Grip in largest variety of conditions. Rock, single track, gravel washes, dirt. (Don't know about wet- live in desert)
Good on off camber, knobs hang on. Good low pressure climb.
Holds like rails on single track. Best all around ever used. Fewest falts on low pressure rides.

Weaknesses:    They wear out more quickly than I would like. A small price to pay for super glue like grip.

Bottom Line:
They are now less expensive than ever making them the best and only tire I will use. Fewer flats than others and grippier than most. Now tubeless. Just gets better. I won't even experiment with others now. THese tires do it all.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Local Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Michelin, Panaracer fire XC, Raptors, Maxis

Bike Setup:   Fuel 90, hayes disc, Psylo

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from El Paso, TX

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2007

Strengths:    Corner/Climb/single track at warp
Grip well, air down for climb. Grip better than others at higher pressure. My favorite of ANY tire used in 15 years. Surprisingly good on occasional street or raods given their talent off road. Good flexy sidewall. GRIP!!!

Weaknesses:    Price.
Sidewall at lower presuure(we have jagged rocks around here)
Hard to find- but worth looking for.

Bottom Line:
Best all around tire but pricey. They do it all

Favorite Trail:   Sierra Vista

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Company

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire- too many flats-less grip
Michelins- all around inferior.
Geax- wear and traction issues

Bike Setup:   FUEL 90 w discs, riser bars for occasinal freeride, Psylo XC

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Oxford

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to fit, light, reasonable grip

Weaknesses:    Not puncture resistant

Bottom Line:
This is not a fast tyre, is best run at low pressures but risks punture(front gets sketchy on technical stuff). It is OK in the mud - clears ok.
This was my first venture into UST and I have religously researched mtbr for the best products to build my dream bike. This tyre has puntured twice in about 10 ridies. The last punture also dented my new mavic front rim (sob sob) and gashed the tyre near the rim, and I am loosing air with the rear wheel (which has had no punctures), despite using latex sealent. These tyres were about half the price of Conti Verticals and I could not get hold of any UST weirwolfs in 2.3 guise. I will not be getting another bonty tyre, and I will think twice about riding these in more extreme environments - I would have done better with a conventional tyre than these.
I give two chillis cause they were cheap - but they do not live up to the hype.

Favorite Trail:   7 Stanes Scotland

Similar Products Used:   First UST, maxxis dynomite 2.3 (non UST)

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Saltamontes, mavic UST, Marzocchi AM1 150mm, Fox DHX air 5, Thomson post & stem, Easton bars, XT & Race face drive chain

Submitted by CASEY a Weekend Warrior from PHOENIX ARIZONA USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2005

Strengths:    EASY TO INSTALL. PUNCTURE RESISTANT. GREAT GRIP.

Weaknesses:    NOT SUPER FAST.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A FOLLOW UP REVIEW. I HAVE BEEN USING THESE TIRES FOR ALMOST A YEAR AND ON MY 5TH ONE.I WAS ALWAYS GETTING FLATS. THE ONLY REMEDY WAS THESE KILLER STOUT TIRES. THEY ROLL OVER HARSH ARIZONA DESERT AND STAY ALIVE. I PRAISE THESE TIRES FOR HELPING DO ONE THING. KEEP RIDING AND NOT FLATTING. BUT THESE TIRES DO MORE THAN JUST KEEP GOING. THEY LINE UP WITH MY RIMS PERFECTLY AND I CAN INFLATE WITH STANDARD PUMP-NO CO2 NEEDED(SET AT 42-46PSI). THEY GRIP,CORNER AND CLIMB VERY WELL THOUGH THEY ARE A BIT SLOW COMPARED TO SOME OTHER MODELS I HAVE RIDDEN, BUT I WILL SACRIFICE SPEED FOR NO FLATS! SINCE USING THESE TIRES I HAVE NEVER FLATTED EXCEPT ONCE AROUND A SHARP CORNER AND THE TIRES WERE WORN. NOW I JUST REPLACE THE TIRE WHEN IT SHOWS WEAR. YEA AT 50 A POP IT KIND OF HURTS BUT I LOOK AT IT LIKE SHOES WHICH I FEEL ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF EQUIP I WEAR. I USE THEM ON THE BACK AND TUBELESS SPECIALIZED ADRENALINES ON THE FRONT(SET AT 42PSI). THE ADRENALINES NEED AIR EVERY RIDE BUT THEY OFFER A VERY SECURE PLATFORM ON FRONT. I TRIED THESE TIRES ON FRONT BUT PERSONALY FIND THEM BEST IN REAR. THESE TIRES NEVER LOSE AIR AND WHEN ITS TIME TO CHANGE THEM THEY ALWAYS LINE UP EASILY. THESE TIRES ARE NOT THE FASTEST BUT FOR THE LONG HALL AND HEAVY RIDERS LIKE MYSELF THEY ARE SOOO DEPENDABLE THAT I DONT THINK I COULD EVERY SPEND GOOD MONEY TRYING ANOTHER TIRE.IF YOU ARE SICK OF FLATS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT-SPEND THE MONEY AND GO TUBELESS WITH THESE BABIES. SET YOUR BACK PRESSURE A LITTLE HIGH AT 42-46PSI AND NEVER HAVE TO CALL A CAB TO GET YOU HOME AGAIN!

Similar Products Used:   CONTI EXPLOR

Bike Setup:   GIANT VT,MAVIC CROSSMAX TUBELESS WHEELSET.

Submitted by Matthew Snow a Racer from Fairfield, CT USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2005

Strengths:    Low weight of 535grams, Large Casing/Volume, Pedals Fast, Good Traction on hardpack, rocks, and roots

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Jones XR TR which means, "tubeless ready."You must use a sealant w/ these tires to hold air. I bought these tires because of there low weight 535 grams, large casing/volume and fast pedaling. These tires mounted up fairly easy on the Mavic Rims and I used 1 cup on Stans sealant in each tire.I was able to air them up w/ a hand pump. They have held the air so far.I ran them at 30-32 psi for the first ride and the seemed to really hook up and pedal fast on the local terrain.

Favorite Trail:   Any in Troutbrook

Purchased At:   Cycle Dynamics

Similar Products Used:   Other "tubeless tires" IRC Serac/ Mibro

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR-SL w/ Xtr Hubs/ Mavic 3.1 Tubeless Rims

Submitted by Casey a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2005

Strengths:    Thanks so much to the previous reviews which convinced me to try em. These tires are new to me (3 rides) but we are already good friends. Like previous reviews state they corner well and are fast.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
So far excellent ride and all I was expecting.

Similar Products Used:   Conti Explorer

Bike Setup:   Giant VT

Submitted by Julie Howard a Cross Country Rider from Alma

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2004

Strengths:    I think these tires are amazing. They corner really well and the braking ability is phenomenal. I should precise thatI ride in mostly Colorado dry loose and hard pack conditions. I don't know about other type of conditions.
My mechanic, Scot Banks from Absolute swore to me, that these tires would last much longer than the Contis I rode before(3 back tire in less than a year!)

Weaknesses:    Expensive and ugly!

Bottom Line:
These tires rock! Buy them even for 50$, they are worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Gold Dust, Julie Loop, CT