Home | Reviews | Tube | Torelli

2.97/5 (67 Reviews)

Torelli Extra Light Tubes

Submitted by Karl from minneapolis

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2005

Strengths:    lite

Bottom Line:
My favorite tube. Pretty durable for a superlite, weighs less than a regular tube. Gotta be a little gentle when installing them, but of course! they're extra lite tubes.

Similar Products Used:   Pedro's, specialized turbo, plain old tubes

Submitted by Seth a Cross Country Rider from Newton, MA 02458

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2005

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    Spontaneous holes/flats. Covered with talc.

Bottom Line:
I've tried Torelli tubes a few times over the years without being impressed. Don't bother with the them. I just put on two new Torelli tubes. Both went flat within a few days without ever being ridden on. Both split along what looks like a seam or tooling line. I patched one. It went flat again sponteously the same day at another location. The butyl rubber seems to be inferior to other brand's rubber composition.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Specialized, Performance

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XT Disc

Submitted by Nick Crvich a Cross Country Rider from Rural Retreat, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2004

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    all

Bottom Line:
I put these in both my front and rear tires to save a little weight. When I came down a very familiar trail with small 1 foot stepdowns, I came off one and pinch flatted on both the front and back at the same time, managed to get stopped, but only had one tube as a spare. 2 miles to walk out to get picked up.
SAVE WEIGHT SOMEWHERE ELSE!
I replaced with IRC torque tubes and I'm back to riding without worrying. The Torelli's are in the garbage can where they belong!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   all types

Bike Setup:   2003 IH Hollowpoint

Submitted by Jon Churchill from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    valve stems bend easily

Bottom Line:
Inexpensive way to reduce rotational weight. I've had no problems with flats so far. I ride cross country over rocks and roots, I've had rocks and sticks jammed in between the rim and tires and the tubes still hold up. So far durability hasn't been an issue with these tubes. I still carry a spare tube and patch kit with me just in case.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   stock

Bike Setup:   Fischer Marlin with Mavic CrossRide wheelset, Hutchingson light pythons, Torellis extra light tubes

Submitted by Captain Phun a Racer from Parsippany NJ

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2003

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Tear at valve stem. Threadless head sucks for using a pump.

Bottom Line:
These tubes are a waste of money and time. Kmart tubes are better than these hunks of junk.

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis flyweight (much better and lighter), various cheap replacement tubes

Bike Setup:   sc superlight crossmax sl disc

Submitted by Lelen Bates a Cross Country Rider from Salinas, CA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2003

Strengths:    I did not have time to find out

Weaknesses:    The tube blew out on the first ride.

Bottom Line:
This was my first riding flat in about 7 years, I have had 2 flats shortly after. It broke my streak, so I took a knife to kill it's evil soul. I ride about 30-40 miles off road per week, so all of my other tubes have served me well.
The tube blew out on the inside next to the stem patch. The rubber appeared thinner there. Users should pray to their local Tiki god, because there is bad voodoo with this tube.

Favorite Trail:   Tia Maria

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Klein light weight tubes from Nov. 1993 still going. WTB, Panaracer, Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Single speed Marin Pine Mountain.

Submitted by Slappy McDougal a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    non-threaded valve stem; Expensive. Prone to tear at stem.

Bottom Line:
Used regular tubes all season in '02 and never had a single flat. Used these Torelli tubes this '03 season for only 2 weeks and already the tube tore at stem while re-inflating. These tubes need to be threaded. Weight savings useless if they tear too easily. Back to regular tubes for me.

Purchased At:   Gregg's Greenlake Cyclery

Bike Setup:   '02 S-Works FSR

Submitted by rsq798 a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, not too expensive

Weaknesses:    The ones from Price Point must have been from a bad batch

Bottom Line:
I bought five tubes from Price Point a month ago. Four developed a leak in the exact same location (despite being in two separate wheels) along the folded edge (when deflated) at the seam where the two ends of the tube meet. One developed a one inch gash. What was interesting is that all five blew while in the trunk of my car, not while riding.

I emailed Bill at Torelli directly about this, who said that the tubes must not have been vulcanized properly and that he would forward my email to the manufacturer. He also promply sent me ten (10!) replacement tubes. If that's not customer service, I don't know what is.

What's also interesting is that when the last tube blew, I had an older Torelli tube (2+ years) in my front tire. The new one from Pricepoint blew, but the old one is still fine. I've used Torelli tubes with no problems before, so I think that maybe Price Point got a bad batch of tubes. I notice now that many of the other complaints about tube failures in this forum also bought them from Price Point. I wouldn't get them again from Price Point (nothing against Price Point, only these circumstances), but I would from elsewhere.

Five chilis for great customer service and a lightweight tube at a decent price.
Four chilis for a history of working well (except for this latest incident).

Bike Setup:   Fuel 90

Submitted by DAN SETHNER a Cross Country Rider from PITTSBURGH PA USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    Tubes fail without a puncture.

Bottom Line:
These tubes suck! Bought five from pricepoint for $25. Each one split after a few rides. Don't waste your money on them.

Favorite Trail:   Hartwood acres

Purchased At:   PRICEPOINT

Similar Products Used:   Continental and Maxxis

Bike Setup:   Fuel 90

Submitted by Brokaw a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Strengths:    These tubes have been 2000 miles and include up to 5 ft drops and very rough downhill, really light, and only punctured once

Weaknesses:    no threaded valve

Bottom Line:
Awesome tubes make your bike lighter and faster, powdering the tubes helps a bunch. Overall very good tubes that are pretty cheap and easy to maintain

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   everything

Bike Setup:   Fisher, mavic wheelset

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Rock

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2003

Strengths:    Weight, around 124 grams

Weaknesses:    Sometimes difficult to install pump head over valve.

Bottom Line:
I’ve ridden these tubes in combination with IRC Serac tires for over a year and a half. The only flat I got was when I rode over a bunch of thorns that no tube could have held up to. I ride these tubes everywhere from XC races to extremely technical terrain (see Skytop, Syracuse NY). It’s important to note that I weigh 160 lbs and typically run at pressures between 35 to 45 psi. I also powder the tubes before installing. I ride with some intelligence and try to pick good lines to avoid slamming into every obstacle in my path. So I guess the moral here is if you’re looking for a relatively lightweight tube (125 grams) and you aren’t a 200 lb freerider on a 50 lb bike hucking 5 foot drops, that this tube will probably hold up for you. Use it for its intended design (XC/Trail Riding)with proper inflation for your weight and and it will hold up for you as well.

Favorite Trail:   Skytop

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Regular tubes

Bike Setup:   2001 Sugar 3 disc with bontrager race disc wheels.

Submitted by Eric a Racer from Langhorne, PA USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Very weak. Not capable of holding up under any conditions.

Bottom Line:
Do not purchase this tube! It really sucks. This tube can't stand up to anything. I put this tube in and ran a race only to blow the stem at abot 8 miles into it. It cost me, big time. I had purchased a lot of 5 tubes and tossed every one of them into the can. Don't make the same mistake I made.

Favorite Trail:   Valley Green

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 100 & Specialized FSR Enduro

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2002

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Broke right out of the box. Torelli should bend over and receive many swift kicks in the a$$

Bottom Line:
The worst tube I have ever used. Tore at the valve stem during first install. I just took the new tube out of the box pumped a little air in it, and heard a huge hiss. The tear was at the valve stem area. DON'T BUY THIS TUBE!

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Strengths:    seem to be lighter,, but no shi!, there is a reason

Weaknesses:    Vedy Vedy Weak

Bottom Line:
I purchased these to go with my new XTR/517 wheelset as a present to myself. I figured I would try some light tubes to go with them. WEll, first ride out on the new hoops and after a 2 ft drop/jump the front tube blew! No not a pin prick, BLEW, flat within 15 ft, inspection revealed 2 tears top and bottom. I can understand this every now and then but first time out? I patched these with glueless patches and well next ride went flat again. So draw your own conclusions. I like the idea of the lighter rotaing mass as they say but dam! If anybody else knows of a better light tube let me know. Until then back to the normal tubes.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 hardtail, Z-2 Atom 80 XTR

Submitted by woodyak a Cross Country Rider from rockport, ma

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    Superlight

Weaknesses:    Superweak

Bottom Line:
These tires are a mere fantasy. They are superlight but they are also superweak. I rode them 2x before I got a flat. I patched it and tried again 3x later both tires got flats at the same time. I'm used to getting a few flats a year not a month.

If you don't mind getting flats then buy these. If it annoys you then don't.

I'm considering trying Stan's Tubeless next.

Favorite Trail:   Old Carriage Trail