Specialized Standard Tube

1.71/5 (17 Reviews)

The one thing we all need to go riding. Lightweight, consistent in quality and exactly the right size.

Submitted by waltair

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2014

Strengths:    usually sold on special prices

Weaknesses:    Failure after a few blocks, about 5 minutes riding.

Bottom Line:
Also noticed the word "thin" on the tube. Stupid me, I bought three of them on special. Should have paid $3 more and bought one good tube instead of three poor quality tubes that cause frustration. Replaced each failed tube with an new one, and they all failed within blocks. I just could not understand what was wrong with the rim, the same rim that the previous tube worked fine in for years. Now I understand the tubes are garbage.

Submitted by Pongo 3 a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2011

Strengths:    Light, easy to carry loads

Weaknesses:    Exploded as I pumped it up to 60 PSI. Split along the seem. I didn't even get to use it before it exploded.

Bottom Line:
Crap. Do not buy. Unless you really enjoy replacing ineers tubes.

Favorite Trail:   Whatever

Purchased At:   Edinborough Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Loads, and they all work (what does a tube have to do???)

Bike Setup:   Trek 7.3FX hybrid with most bits replaced.

Submitted by the piper 317 a Cross Country Rider from Quincy MA USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    Absolutely nothing

Weaknesses:    These things blow at the seems all the time from just pumping up these pieces of garbage.

Bottom Line:
Avoid these at all costs. They are terrible.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Hills

Similar Products Used:   Continental

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized FSR XC Comp with WTB Speed Disc Wheels

Submitted by chiplikestoridehisbike a Cross Country Rider from Southeast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2008

Strengths:    Held air with initial inflate. Short presta stem.

Weaknesses:    After third flat on rear noticed the words thin printed on tube. No kidding. Tubes would pinch at my normal pressures if you looked at them wrong. Weakest tube I have ever ridden.

Bottom Line:
Not a suitable tube unless you ride on incredibly smooth trails or very high pressures. Seemed to be less than half as durable as the Bontrager tubes I normally get from a closer shop here in town. These were printed with thin on them so they may not be the standard tube, but they were all the local Specialized shop carried. Bad enough that I pulled them out of both wheels.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Kenda etc.

Bike Setup:   Steel hardtail

Submitted by Lee from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to get

Weaknesses:    They like splitting at the seams every now and then...

Bottom Line:
They're the only tube the shop near me stocks. Unfortunately, some of the one's I've bought split at the seams after a few months, even when used in the appropriate size for the tire. And you can't patch them once they do that.
If I remember right the label on the actual tube says they're made by Kenda. Hit & miss on quality, which shouldn't happen for something as simple as a tube.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2007

Strengths:    inexpensive... just under $5. Sold and nearly every bike shop

Weaknesses:    cheaply made. Doesnt stand up to anything more than smooth flat surfaces. The tubes sometimes come pre-popped so you dont have to do it yourself.... (holes from the factory)

Bottom Line:
3 flats in 2 weeks. The first one I used popped on a very easy trail under light stress for no aparent reason. The second one split open when I hopped a curb in downtown going very slowly and landed just a little early (any other tube would have been just fine), and then the 3rd tube I bought to replace it had a tiny pin hole in it from the factory and of course wouldnt even inflate. Today I have to go back to the shop to have this tube replaced. If I can I will try to get a different brand and pay the difference, cause this tube sucks!

If you ride trails dont use this tube.
If you do any kind of urban riding dont use this tube.
if you only ride on sidewalks and never do anything fun, then this tube will be fine, but still expect a flat every month or so.

Favorite Trail:   the ones you can ride

Purchased At:   Sunshine Cycle Shop

Similar Products Used:   none yet

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Response Comp (stock)

Submitted by Neil A a Weekend Warrior from Santa Clarita

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2006

Strengths:    Gets you from point "A" to "B" if you stay on concrete.

Weaknesses:    The seam was probably a weak spot on this tube. There was a half inch tear with no spoke protrusion.

Bottom Line:
I had 3 flats (two due to thorns in the same day) in about a week. Today my front tube went flat in 3 seconds while I was going up a steep dirt road over 4 miles from my car. Luckily, I had a spare (another Spec tube). These tubes are best for road use. I wouldn't suggest using these for MBiking. I won't be buying standard Spec tubes anymore. I just ordered Hutchinson Green Tubes and I hope these are better quality.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock Sport

Submitted by Brett Wolmarans a Weekend Warrior from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2005

Strengths:    availability, distribution, find them in any store

Weaknesses:    valve stem rips out for no reason. 4 boxes of regular tubes and all had lite tubes in them. Bad packing, guys!

Bottom Line:
absolute crap. I had a flat every single ride and stupidly kept buying these, only to find that not only did I get flats from puny thorns the stems ripped out for no reason.
This could have been because I had lite tubes packaged in regular tube boxes.

Favorite Trail:   Los Robles

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Conti, Specialized 2.30 tube (which is very good)

Bike Setup:   Stumpy

Submitted by Geoff from sydney -> london

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2005

Strengths:    make a loud bang when they explode!

Weaknesses:    they explode!!

Bottom Line:
i have used many tubes and these had to be the worst yet!! i ran out of my cheapy tioga tubes and the local store only had these crappy things!!

the first one exploded on the trail (about 30 mins into the trail), literally ripped the tube into many small peices!! then i had to fit the second tube... which exploded when i was pumping it up!! only got to 25psi when it popped.

dont buy these tubes... they blow chunks!!!

Favorite Trail:   anything with rocks

Similar Products Used:   lotsa tubes over the years

Submitted by Albert Osorio from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2004

Strengths:    Just as good as the competition and sold all over the place.
You can't kill the Presta valve no matter how much of a pressure freak you are. I was surprised to see others hammer on that.

Weaknesses:    The auto valve could be a little more robust like Continental's for example.

Bottom Line:
I just realised that I have been jumping brands of tubes to see "what is out there" VS. standard specialized tubes the last couple of years. At the end of the day, not much difference on the tube side. Tires seem to have more of an influence on how long you go between flats combined with luck. Worst case with these tubes if one flat per season per tube and when I use old ones on my wife's bike or my second bike, they last forever. I even pulled an old one out of my second bike when I got caught short this summer. For the price, it's good stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Engadin, Switzerland

Purchased At:   At local Swiss bike store

Similar Products Used:   Continental and Schwalbe. Both German brands and a few cents more expensive.

Bike Setup:   Mostly XT hardtail with Rockshox Duke XC. German brand called Red Bull (no connection to drink) Great Quality.

Submitted by Eric L a Downhiller from Laguna hills

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2004

Strengths:    It looks like a good tube

Weaknesses:    Everything. I got a flat after 30 minutes of riding for absolutely no reason. Later found out it had split at one of the seams.

Bottom Line:
By far the worst tube ever created. Bought another one and it did the exact same thing. One of the first times I have ever been dissapointed by Specialized.

Favorite Trail:   Schoolyard

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Enduro Pro

Submitted by adam from harrisonburg

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
Five tubes later, every one has gone flat for no reason other than being ridden...tubes from my local hardware store last longer than these. Terrible.

Submitted by foot from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2003

Strengths:    good for one ride

Weaknesses:    flat easy

Bottom Line:
crap crap crap. I've been very lucky with not flatting too often, until I bought one of these to replace the old stock Chen Shin. I don't care what tube I use, but these are all the shop carries, and quite frankly, they suck.
The stock tube has lasted 1 year on the same bike, but I have punctured 2 of these tubes 2 times each. I'm going back to the bargain bin to find some no name tubes that work.
It's frustrating to see something that should be a quality product suck.

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Ryan R a Cross Country Rider from Long Island NY

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Strengths:    They are pretty light and hold air to some degree but thats it

Weaknesses:    They go flat on ANYTHING AND I MEAN ANYTHING. they have no strength at all!

Bottom Line:
If you want to save on weight don't do it on tubes and tires you will be sorry. This is not the way to shave some pounds off your bike. I tried it and it was a big mistake and now I'm cleaning up the mess. Do yourself a favor unless you race on open courses or enjoy changing tubes everyday USE A THICKER TUBE my personel opinion is if you ride alot of singletrack of dense areas USE A DOWNHILL TUBE find something else to shave wieght off your bike. I have gone through 5 of these crap tubes 4 to thorns and 2 to faulty valves. Use a better grade of tube for your machine. PEACE!

Favorite Trail:   Pandora