Specialized Air Lock Tube

3.26/5 (34 Reviews)

Specialized Air Lock

Submitted by VonniePedals

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2012

Strengths:    Company is giving me a refund

Weaknesses:    Tube splits internally

Bottom Line:
Commuting since 2/12/07 27,000 miles under my belt. These tubes are a lesson that I will not have to learn again. One of them split for no reason. I have not had a "technical" for 4 years. Once I got home (long story) I stripped them both out and replaced them with my past tubes. The company is refunding me, I'm sending them back.

Submitted by Wryfox a Weekend Warrior from Daytona Beach

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Extremely heavy, stiff, and goo oozing from the valve from the start. One presta valve of the pair would simply not close without a wrench to tighten the nut.

Bottom Line:
Really bad tube. Simply not functional due to weight or performance. Took them out after two days.

Favorite Trail:   Deleon Springs

Purchased At:   Specialized

Similar Products Used:   Slime tubes which work perfect.

Bike Setup:   Trek 9.7

Submitted by Terry Culhane a Cross Country Rider from Vieques, PR

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Strengths:    Who knows? I'm having trouble pumping it up.

Weaknesses:    The valve stems are not threaded, so I can't push the pump fitting onto the presta stem with enough force to get a tight seal. The stem just pushes into the rim. Also the goo inside the tube is oozing out of the valve and making a mess of the pump and the stem.

Bottom Line:
Time to get out the pliers.

Purchased At:   Blackbeards

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper

Submitted by hotrozz a Weekend Warrior from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Strengths:    It holds air if you can get any air in it.

Weaknesses:    Stems are too short and not threaded. Specialized floor pump won't even work with these tubes.

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money on these over-priced junk.

Purchased At:   Georges, Boise

Submitted by Livermoron a Weekend Warrior from Livermore, CA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Strengths:    um I guess they don't leak if they get a puncture.

Weaknesses:    OMG THESE ARE SLOW! Made my bike feel like I am in mud all the time. I was recently going down hill on a decent grade and I swear I was slowing down. I had to pedal to maintain speed.

Not worth the occasional patching or tube replacing unless you love to spin and go slow.

Bottom Line:
should have listened to the guy behind the counter telling me they suck. I was just ticked off because the goat heads got me two weekends in a row.

Adding weight in the wheels/tires is dumb.

Purchased At:   Livermore Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   none...ever again

Bike Setup:   '07 Specialized RockHopper Comp Disc
A1 Aluminum Hardtail Frame

Submitted by trekex9 a Weekend Warrior from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2009

Weaknesses:    Not as good as a Slime tube at sealing

Bottom Line:
I use this on my commuter bike. I will not use this product in the future, Slime tubes aren't perfect but they certainly seal better than the Specialized Airlock tubes.

Similar Products Used:   Slime tubes

Bike Setup:   Trek SOHO "urban" bike

Submitted by alec3333 a Weekend Warrior from NM

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Strengths:    Great Idea from an otherwise great brand

Weaknesses:    Does not plug holes, just splatters "sealant" all over the inside of tire

Bottom Line:
3 days after installation the front airlock tube split at the seam next to valve stem. This happened while it was in my garage and not being ridden and had only had 35 psi in it. I replaced it with a 3ish year old Slime tube and it has held air ever since. I wouldn't recommend to anyone due to the sheer unreliability of Specialized Airlocks.

Favorite Trail:   Foothillz

Purchased At:   Sport Systems

Similar Products Used:   slime tubes

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher Marlin Specialized tires

Submitted by tim a Weekend Warrior from kyrgyzstan

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2008

Strengths:    They hold air

Weaknesses:    ...except if you get a puncture

Bottom Line:
I have used these in hopes that during my rides in Kyrgyzstan I wouldn't be stuck out in the boonies somewhere. Good thing I always carry patch kits and pump. These things are worthless. The stuff spews out but doesn't seal. Save your money. DO NOT rely on these tubes to seal any punctures.

Similar Products Used:   slime tubes

Bike Setup:   Trek Liquid

Submitted by Al a Racer from Wyoming

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Great resistance to cactus and thorns in general

Weaknesses:    Seam splits

Bottom Line:
These tubes are good at times and horrible at other times. The inner valve locking mechanism on the presta tubes are horrible. Even when tightened they do not stay tight and at times unscrew completely from within the valve stem. Very Very good resistence to flats from cactus or thorns. You might lose a little pressure but just pump up back at home and it usually holds. USUALLY.... I just bought about 4 new tubes of this type and the first two I installed SPLIT AT THE SEAMS(as afformentioned by other riders). I mean one is ok, but two... From that batch I had one more split at a different seam. Of course the shop was quick to give me new tubes, but why bother. I won't buy any more specialized self sealing tubes. These are subpar except for the very few tubes that perform exceptionally. 1 chili for value due to the fact its costing someone to replace all those returned tubes. Overall you might get a good tube, but you might get a tube splitting at the seams.

Favorite Trail:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Slime tubes and nearly any self sealing tube brand

Bike Setup:   07 epic with bb7 discs, xc race bars... rest is stock for now...

Submitted by Troy a Cross Country Rider from St. Croix, Virgin Islands

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    It works

Weaknesses:    Some pumps don't lock on the presta valve well.

Bottom Line:
I use these tubes for years (over 7). The ones on my OCLV are over 3 years old. I had 2 completely fail on me after months of riding but they were replaced for free by the local bike shop no questions asked (tubes have 1 year guarantee). If you don't like to fix flats try these out.

Similar Products Used:   regular tubes

Bike Setup:   OCLV TREK with all the goodies &
Diamond Back V-Link

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2003

Strengths:    None, unknown.

Weaknesses:    Bad valves: can't fill it with air. Bad sealant: can't let air out. Heavy.

Bottom Line:
Since the diameter of the presta valve is so large it wouldn't go into my pump. This might not have been such a problem if there were any threading for a retainer nut to hold the valve to the rim. But Specialized went with the cheapest possible valves instead -- no threading, no retainer.

I have a very common floor pump by Wrench Force and, after messing with it for 20 minutes I was able to get a tiny bit of air in, but it was leaking air from the pump/valve connection since most of the valve was inside the tire area. I even tried pushing from the other side but it wouldn't go in. Are these "specialized" presta valves? Do they only work with a "specialized" pump?

Also, don't plan on letting air out, all you get is slime out of the valve. I noticed this when trying to put them back in the box to return them to the store. I even held the valves upward and away from the rest of the tube. Nothing but slime came out.

Submitted by Deek Rivers a Cross Country Rider from Dallas

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    They hold air and stuff

Weaknesses:    They don't seem to seal punctures well (if at all)

Bottom Line:
So far, I've had 3 of these tubes fail to seal very small punctures. I've even tried rolling the tube around to get it to seal but they just keep leaking.

The Slime tubes I've used worked far better. A while back, a Slime tube almost managed to seal a pinch flat - not bad.

Favorite Trail:   Johnson Branch

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Tucson

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2003

Strengths:    self sealing

Bottom Line:
These tubes and my left ankle took a dirct hit from several cholla bolts, resulting in at least 20 punctures. Goop leaked out of several of the punctures from both sites. I thought I had a sure flat, but they sealed right away. I have since ridden well over a hundred miles on them, including a 24hr desert ride. They are still holding up with only needing 20lb of air once a week. I have already bought another set of tubes, but am now wondering if I will ever need them. Try these tubes if you ride in the desert with cactus or sand burrs.

Bike Setup:   who cares

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Chandler, Az

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Strengths:    Work better than standard tubes. The is very little weight penalty for having the liquid.

Weaknesses:    When the tube gets more than one hole it has trouble sealing.

Bottom Line:
I'm somewhat unsure what to say. I have had to replace several Airlock tubes over the past six months or so. One day the LBS was out, so I bought the blackburn tube ($10!) with self sealing liquid. I've been riding on it for a month without a single flat. The airlocks don't make it that long. I think it may be that the airlocks liquid is just too runny. When is spews it really spews.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes Trail

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Self sealing, slime, tube goo.

Bike Setup:   Panaracer FireXC on a Fisher Sugar

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Rome, GA USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    The tubes worked exactly as advertised. I received a large puncture from a sharp rock while travling downhill. Not only did the tube not blow but it leaked slowly allowing me plenty of time to get to the bottom of the hill and re-inflate the tire. Re-inflating the tube was a snap, there was not any problem re-inflating the tube. Once re-inflated I was able to ride the bike as fast as I could pedal another two miles home.

Weaknesses:    None observed.

Bottom Line:
I will buy two more of these tubes. I do not hesitate to recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Berry College

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   None, this is the first tube of its kind I have tried.

Bike Setup:   Thirteen year old Schwinn Frontier hard tail with low-end Shimano components, brand new Specialized MTB tires.

Air 9 + Thompson post + Salsa Lip-Lock = constant post slippage

I have a Large Air 9 (purchased new), with a Thompson 410mm setback post and a Salsa Lip-lock 35.0 clamp and the seatpost slips. The clamp cannot be tightened anymore as it is completely closed and still the post slips. I've tried carbon paste, assembly lube (more to stop the creaking) and still i ... Read More »

Specialized air lock presta tubes

Anyone use Specialized air lock self-sealing tubes with unique presta stem. Are they worth the cost? Better than slime? LBS tells me you can remove the presta guts and refill if necessary. The stem is still small in diameter. On the side, these tubes jumped up $5 in price at my LBS with their l ... Read More »

Lock Out on Lyric Solo Air?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't but heard somewhere that there is. The line I got was it was a "hidden" feature. Yeah right? Can anyone confirm this? ThanksRead More »

lock out on white bros BW1 air stopped working

I had stripped it down for it's regular maintenance( have done this at least five times before) and reassembled it and now it's not working. Followed the instructions. (I am assuming "clockwise" means clockwise when you are facing the fork from the front). Any ideas? Anyone had a similar issue ... Read More »

Specialized Air Lock- opinions...for desert goat heads

:confused: Anyone tried the Specialized Thorn Resistant Desert Protection MTB Tube? How did it compare to Air Lock only tube? Voodoo Hardtail rider, 165 lbs and running IRC Backcountry 2.25's. It's been a crazy "Goat-Head" ridden time since we've had all this rain in So Cal... Thanks!Read More »