Specialized 02 Airlock Self-Sealing MTB Tube Tube

Three sizes of internal fibers plug all sizes of punctures...which is why our Airlock design seals more leaks better and faster than the competition.

Submitted by kjhishere a Weekend Warrior from Redlands, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2009

Strengths:    Puncture resistant. light weight.

Weaknesses:    Always losing air. Stem is floating type. does not have a nut to hold it down on the rim.

Bottom Line:
I spend way more time filling these with air on the trail and in between rides than any other tube I've ever tried. I've run into a number of these where the stems leak constantly requiring air to be added during rides. Tighten the stem with needle nose pliers ... and then you need to bring the pliers with you to be able to add air if it starts to leak again.
I'm very glad I'm on my last one ... which I haven't even gotten one ride in on because the damn stem will not stop leaking.
Do not buy these. Waste of time.

Purchased At:   Cyclery USA

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Fezzari Wiki Peak with lots of upgrades.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Waco, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    Good against thorn punctures.

Weaknesses:    Very pron to popping.

Bottom Line:
I'm rather disappointed with these tubes. At 7 bucks a pop...I went though 3 of these in 3 weeks (all rear tire), then again I do jump off 4-5 foot drop offs. It even popped once when i hit a root. I wasn't really to worried about thorns since i put a liner in both tires, but the rear tire kept popping after jumps, and the slime was worth crap in sealing it. I could hear my tire hissing, and 2 minutes late, it was completely flat. It usually popped at the seals, so patching it was out of the question. I had my tires inflated to 30-35psi.

Favorite Trail:   Highlander

Purchased At:   Bicycles Outback

Similar Products Used:   basic PV tubes

Bike Setup:   '05 North Face Kichatana (Iron Horse Warrior Trail)

Submitted by mike a Weekend Warrior from edwards CA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2005

Strengths:    Has resisted all thorn punctures which are very common in the Mojave desert.

Weaknesses:    The rear tube began leaking air around the base of the presta valve within the first two days of riding on it. The Block shop repaced it for free (block shop rocks!) but within three months it did the same thing. So far the front tube has held up just fine other than the presta valve being difficult to unscrew (even after removing sealant buildup.) It's also a little heavy but I don't really care.

Bottom Line:
I'd have a good defense against the Mojave desert eating my tubes if they did'nt leak around the stem. I've found luck by using the slime tire liner in between the tube and tire but I need a good tube that will endure my riding conditions.

Favorite Trail:   on-base locals

Purchased At:   block shop

Similar Products Used:   slime tube, stan's no tube, salsa tubes, every thorn resistant tube made "almost".

Bike Setup:   2003 enduro 5in. travel all mountain gucci setup