Home | Reviews | Tube | Slime

Slime Tire Sealant Tube

3.53/5 (75 Reviews)

SlimeTire sealant can be easily addedTo schrader valve innerTubes, and seals many small punctures such asThose caused byThorns, glass, etc.

Submitted by Stanton Teller

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2013

Strengths:    ive got this stuff in my bikes tires and in my kids as well. ALOT, Alot of bullheads in the area im from (N. Az), w/o using this product i was repeatedly changing tubes, w/ it ive only had to replace 2 in almost 2 years. i ride local mtn bike trails.... alien run, gallup trail system, road apple rally course, ive yet to have any repair time on the trail. this from a guy who rides too fast and crashed once or twice a ride :^)

Weaknesses:    just messy if needing to clean up or inspect.

Bottom Line:
tho i rock an off the rack mtn bike, ive got a number of other bike riders in the house. this product definitely has allowed my to keep some wkly allowance $ in my pockets.

Submitted by chatomorgan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2013

Strengths:    Does as advertised and more!

Weaknesses:    None for me.

Bottom Line:
I have been using SLIME as part of a 3 line defense in my MTB for quite some time. Apart from puncture resistant tires and my AMOR tape I use slime inside my 26" tubes. The brush along my rabbit trail routes have lots of thorns of various lengths and if they happen to get in through the sidewall, well that's where the SLIME has saved me from any repairs in the field or worse, long walks home.
However, this last occurrence confirmed me as a true believer in this product.
I recently had some ankle problems so I have not been riding much except @ town within the last few days. When I started back up again I noticed that my front tire was a bit low but not bad enough to inflate right then. i did find the time to try to inflate it today when I noticed no air was entering as I was pumping. I checked the pump and it was working fine. I tried again and still nothing. I then removed the stem core and no air was escaping. As I turned the stem more to look inside the whole stem turned....well, thats not good. I was then able to remove the stem altogether and still no air was escaping. I then used a piece of .40 wire to probe and I did feel the tube and very reluctantly punctured my tube to release the air. Once I removed everything I noticed that there was a slight film of slime all inside my tire and everything else. The hole where the stem used to be was plugged with mostly dried fibrous slime and that is what was holding the pressure for the last 3 weeks and my few short rides around town. I was pretty impressed. I cleaned everything up and put in a new tube, using of course, more slime.

Submitted by claudio tirado

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2013

Strengths:    No good has too much water in ingredients. The water cause your rim to oxidize from within causing it to break in the future. Don't buy this! Tire shop owner. I get the best one from the factory I know!

Weaknesses:    No good.

Bottom Line:
Oxidizes rims from within because it contains a lot of water in its ingredients. True.

Submitted by Ray H a Racer

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2012

Strengths:    Does what it says on the can, put it in the back and front tyres on my speed triple preventatively. Got a puncture on a bank holiday, waited hours as single woman and families seem to get priority. I kind of agree with though. Ruined the day obviously, not any more had in every tyre since and not suffered an imbalance or puncture yet. Spoke too a tyre fitter from out of the area about the stuff and they hate it because its messy and inhibits revenue. It's not in the tyre long enough to rot naff all, two year warranty? In two years ill have had at least three back and two fronts irrespective of track days. My last back had at least 11 mends internally. They won't mend after 5 normally and took too speeds in excess of 130mph with no issues. I won't have a tyre on the bike without it. If your gonna have an explosive decompress on your tyre and it does not take a lot I've had them racing many a year ago. Then I'd rather have something slowing the flow and giving me a chance to pull up. In the case of any noticeable puncture it should always be inspected later at first chance. It's just a no brainier anyone who argues against either hasn't used or is in the tyre business. If its not for you then it washes away easily with no stains on any types of surfaces.

Weaknesses:    Tyre changers are best informed you have it in before they begin work as it can get messy. But it washes away with water, the one I use doesn't mind as long as he is told prior. PS he has a BMW 1000R with sealant in. Make your own mind up there

Bottom Line:
Good overall reviews. Some a little unfair.

Submitted by Joanna

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2012

Strengths:    1) Amusing pictures for Facebook
2) My floor has some colour to it

Weaknesses:    1) Caused me to question whether I was a retard
2) My friends think I'm a retard

Bottom Line:
Got green goo everywhere, not entirely sure any actually went into the tyre, stem valve now stuck in goo. (Yes I did take it out first.)

Submitted by dad

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    hard to find one !

Weaknesses:    used it on my bike tube .....very well could call it green crap ! does not work.. dont waste your money !

Bottom Line:
green crap !

Submitted by Neil Smith

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2012

Strengths:    It did exactly what it said it woulld and got me to a motorbike friendly tyre place (Bob's Tyres in Stevenage, UK) where they repaired the tyre properly.

Weaknesses:    Using the ordinary bottle on a car or motorbike you need to have a pump handy

Bottom Line:
I got a large nail into the centre of my nearly new rear (tubeless) motorbike tyre. Slime claimed to seal up to 1/4" holes and whilst mine wasn't that big, I was skeptical that it would stop mine up. However as I only wanted to ride 20miles to get a proper repair, I didn't mind if it leaked en route. When reflating the tyre I had to spin it around to make sure enough Slime got to the hole, as the puncture was quite near the valve. Once that was done, the tyre took the pressure straight away with a small bead showing. The next morning the bead was still there but the tyre was still at pressure. I rode the 20miles without a hitch and due to picking up some black off the road, the tyre guys could not spot where the hole was! They were so impressed with the stuff that they ensured that as much of the slime as possible stayed in the tyre after the repair. I cannot recommend the stuff too much and am just about to fix the wife's slow puncture with it too. My ride on mower will get the treatment after that as it's always picking up punctures.

Submitted by Brandon H

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Very easy to use and has worked repeatedly for me. Put this stuff in a thorn proof tube and I can;t see how you could go wrong. It may be heavy, but it would take one heck of a large sharp object to cause a problem.

Weaknesses:    There are idiots out there that don't seem to know how to use this stuff and it kills the ratings. The only time this stuff has failed me was going through a down hill thorn patch. I counted 17 thorns in my regular tubes with slime. Every hole filled with slime, but there just wasn't enough to keep the tire up. I spun the tire for 60 seconds, reinflated it and made it home. Go figure- user error, not the fault of the product! I suppose if you ride on nails or railroad spikes you may see a weakness.

Bottom Line:
Great product! I will continue to use it in every tire I own.

Submitted by DaveG a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2012

Strengths:    Useful to play with if you get bored and have time to spend

Weaknesses:    Useless. It just doesn't work even on very very small pinholes only visible in water. What's more it makes the tube heavy and clogs the valve.

Bottom Line:
Bought this as a preventive liquid. First ride with this liquid in my tubes : I get 2 punctures !
Totally useless, this thing is just a thick water soluble liquid with paper fibers in it sold at a totally crazy price !

Other review must be fakes !

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   KHS 704 full suspension, nobby nic front, crossmark rear

Submitted by Matt

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    Works on small holes quickly and invisibly

Weaknesses:    Will not seal large holes -- DUH.

Bottom Line:
I have not used the tube sealant, but the tubeless version made for car tires. I have used the car type on automotive wheels with nail holes with excellent success, and I had some excess left so I tried it on my mountain bike tires. It has sealed small puncture holes from thin steel wire quite quickly and easily. Last night I had a good sized leak that would bring my tire from 25 psi to around zero in about 3 minutes. I found a steel wire, likely from a damaged tire on the side of the road, removed it, added the slime to the previously un-slimed tube, (this is the automotive slime), added a little arit to inflate the tube and seat the bead, and spun the wheel for a minute or 2 to coat the tube. Then I was able to fill the tire to 65 psi and it stayed all night and all day today, and I'll be riding home on it tonight!

On the other hand, once I had a larger hole (about 3-4 mm wide) that this would not seal. It was just too big to handle, so of course there are limits.

Submitted by Olly

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Haven't had to remove tyre from wheel for over 3 years now so I can only assume that it is doing its job as I have never gone more than 6 months without getting a puncture in the past.

Weaknesses:    None really as long as you follow the instructions but the easiest option is to buy the inner tubes that come pre filled with Slime, this doesn't really cost any more than buying 2 inner tubes and a bottle of Slime so its a no brainer to me.

Bottom Line:
Great Product

Submitted by The Dude

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    So easy a Caveman could do it...seriously

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
First let me say I used the Green Slime "Tube Sealant" to seal a regular 26 inch mountain bike tube with a schrader valve. There was only one thorn puncture as far as I could seel. I didn't take the wheel off the bike (isnt that the purpose of this stuff...simple...easy), I followed the instructions (I didnt create my own instructions).

I don't quite understand how stupid you have to be to get this wrong and create a mess. It took all of 10 minutes. It was almost the easiest thing I have ever had to do in my life. What mess? If this was any easier I would have to lose IQ points. I guess the only bad about it was it wasnt free and it took me time to buy it...sheesh people

Submitted by Ward a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, alberta, canada

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2012

Strengths:    Stops small to medium size leaks, keeps tubeless tires inflated longer, easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Can be a bit messy, adds a little weight.

Bottom Line:
If you don't use this product correctly and refuse to follow the instructions then guess what?.......it will not work as intended.
When used correctly with TUBELESS TIRES this product with stop small/medium leaks and keep your tubeless tires sealed. You'll need to retreat your wheels every season or two as the product does eventually lose its effectivness over time.
After getting a puncture position the whell so the hole is at the bottom ofbthe whell and allows the slime tomrun down into it, then wait a few minutes to let the product air harden for best results.

Bike Setup:   All mountain riding

Submitted by karenmary1972 a Weekend Warrior from lantana, fl, US

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2011

Strengths:    I never like anything, but i'm shocked that there could be even one bad review of this product! I moved to this area and was getting flats literally daily from the weird point crap that falls from the trees. Finally, i went to the bike shop and the guy filled it with the Slime and it's been almost 6 months, not one single problem!! Today, i had a huge stick puncture the tube and i actually heard it deflate. I just spun the tire around, let the Slime move into the hole, pumped it back up and DONE. Good as new.

Weaknesses:    None...but i think you need a very good quality bike pump as i personally have to pump the tires at least once a week and it's a little more difficult when the tubes are filled with slime. (so i'm told).

Bottom Line:
If you're getting lots of flats...have someone at a bike shop put the Slime in the tire for you. Yes, it cost $15, but it appears as though it's possible to do it wrong based on the reviews. And, i don't ever want to have to buy a patch kit again. I'm terrible at it anyway.

Purchased At:   Relentless Bicycles