Home | Reviews | Tube | Slime

Slime Smart Tube Tube

Weight : 250 grams MSRP : $14.00

Slime SmartTubes are pre-filled with Slime liquidTire sealant. Not light, but justTheTicket if your area has a bigThorn problem.

Submitted by Chris123321 a Downhiller from Redmond, Washington, USAA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2009

Strengths:    -Seals most punctures
-Not terribly heavy
-Keeps air longer than other tubes
-Pre filled, no manual filling with slime
-Customer service is top notch, and quite pleasant to talk to

Weaknesses:    -Valve is easily clogged by the sealant, but only if you aren't careful
-Slightly off balance tire until the slime spreads around the tire
-Slightly more expensive than other tubes

Bottom Line:
Works well, but you can't beat a patch kit for large punctures, this DOES NOT replace it, this seals small holes well. The website says to rotate the tire such that the valve is at the 10 or 2 o clock position for inflation. I found that the valve should be at the 4 or 8 position, then allowed to sit for 5-10 mins. I didn't find this out until my valve was clogged my the sealant, then I broke the plastic valve core remover. Please Note: The valve core remover does not normally break, this is an isolated incident. I contacted slime about the problem, and they sent my a high quality metal valve remover with no questions asked.

Despite minor problems that can be easily fixed/ avoided, this is a wonderful product, it works within the specified ranges very well.

All of the problems I experienced were made up for, so 5 chilis for overall rating, and 5 chilis for the value rating because this is cheaper than purchasing tube and slime seperately.

Who its for: Casual riders who don't want to worry about minor flats and punctures

Who its not for: Extremely rough conditions with possible tire lasserations, and pinch flats.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Normal tubes

Submitted by Han Bozo a Downhiller from B'Burg VA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2008

Strengths:    Seemed to hold up for a while

Weaknesses:    Forget Trying to patch them. Their disgusting and they don't actually "self-heal." Total BS. Maybe if you ride through a rose bush it will prevent immediate deflation but you will lose in the end.

Bottom Line:
Messy and not worth any extra money. They spray crummy green goo all over everything, they pretty much suck. They're ok as tubes go but the slime crap is a hoax.

Favorite Trail:   Clown Head

Purchased At:   Dicks

Bike Setup:   Decent

Submitted by Wadaudojak a Weekend Warrior from Rhode Island

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2008

Strengths:    Works as advertised.

Weaknesses:    I've bought a couple that came with pinholes in them so that when I started to inflate them, slime started coming out. Maybe better quality control before they leave the factory would be in order.

Bottom Line:
They work as advertised. This weekend I was out riding at Wompatuck park in MA. My tires are worn down and need to be replaced. I was taking a very tight turn at a speed I should have been able to handle, but I didn't have the grip and ended up going into a thorn bush. The right side of my body got really scratched up. I was convinced that I was going to have at least one flat tire, but I was able to finish the ride (a little over an hour of riding after the accident) without any noticeable drop in tire pressure. By that evening, my front tire finally went flat. By the next morning my back tire had also gone flat. I was really impressed that I was able to get over an hour of riding on the tubes after they were both punctured by thorns.

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin with Time ATAC XS Carbon

Slime Self-Sealing Smart Tube 29er

I bought a Slime Self-Sealing Smart Tube 29er today and didnt realize the sizing. The tube specifies 1.85 to 2.20 but the size of my tires are 2.25, could I still use the slime tubes regardless of the .05 difference?Read More »