Home | Reviews | Tube | Slime

Slime Slime Tube Protector Tube

2.38/5 (13 Reviews)

• Remove wheel from bicycle and deflate tube
  • Remove tire from rim using tire lever
  • Remove inner tube
  • Reinsert inner tube and slightly inflate
  • Reinflate tire to recommended air pressure

Submitted by Guy from Granada

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2013

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    The sharp edges causes a puncture due to friction. It doesn't prevent flat tires, it's the cause!

Bottom Line:
After 4 hours of use, it caused a puncture in the tube, the sharp end of the "protecting" band made a small hole due to friction.

There is no way on earth that this product will protect your tube by any means. But I must admit that as a joke is a very effective and rather expensive one.

Do not buy this product.

Submitted by Janet

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2012

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Causes punctures after a surprisingly short time

Bottom Line:
Don't even consider putting them in- they cause punctures

Submitted by Mark A a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2012

Strengths:    Might prevent some thorns from puncturing the tube. See review below

Weaknesses:    Does not stop all puncture damage.

Bottom Line:
I have been using Slime Tube Protectors for at least eight years. I use them in combination with Slim Lite tubes and Maxxis Cross Mark Tires. These tires have a thin carcass and low profile tread. I am not convinced that Tube Protectors protect against puncture flats such as long thorns or small pointed rocks. I have had both of these go right through the Tube Protector on several occasions. I have never had a sliced tire so don’t know how well they protect against that type of damage. I also don’t run into many goat’s heads. I use this setup for Adventure Racing, so riding surfaces vary. They do not stop all puncture damage. And when they don’t, the Slim Tubes keep me rolling when the liners let me down. Do they stop some punctures? Maybe. I un-mount my tires/tubes two to three times a year just to check for and remove thorns. I have never found a thorn that penetrated the tire that didn’t also penetrate the tube protector. So if they are working it must be on thorns that don’t penetrate the tube protector and then later fell out. So why am I still using them? When I don’t use the protectors I could have 2-3 thorns in the tire/tube when I check them. With the protectors I might have one thorn. I have never had a tube cut by the edge of the tube protector as others have reported.

Purchased At:   Mail order

Bike Setup:   Custom build hard tail.

Submitted by JC

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2012

Strengths:    They do stop most things that can go thru the tire, the material is hard to cut but it is good to smooth off the ends so they don't cut into the tube, I have even used a file to smooth the ends, seems like work but can be worth it if you get a lot of Goat's heads or other sharp points thru your tires.

Weaknesses:    Takes a little work to make them work right.

Bottom Line:
They do work for many people, maybe have a bike shop put them in for you if it seems too much work.

Submitted by paulb27 a Cross Country Rider from Gloucestershire ,England

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2012

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    wished i had seen the reviews before i brought them ,and saved the money,i have the same problems as the others.the protectors cut through the sides of the inner tubes with the sharp edges

Bottom Line:
total waste of money ,design fault with it .

Favorite Trail:   Forest of Dean

Submitted by floodo1 a Cross Country Rider from Fresno, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2011

Strengths:    Protects you from thorns and such

Weaknesses:    It cuts your tubes

Bottom Line:
Kept getting flats until I realized that the long edges of the protector have sharp edges which put grooves all along the length of your tube....and these cuts/grooves eventually split open and go flat!!!

SERIOUSLY, protects you from thorns, but then cuts your tube itself....."Here to keep you from getting flats, but also gives you flats!"

Fail

Favorite Trail:   The Street

Bike Setup:   cheap Forte Street Tires (non kevlar)

Submitted by crankyemilio a Weekend Warrior from Manhattan, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2011

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Hard on tubes

Bottom Line:
It doesn't matter how you set it, the material is to hard and "bites" into the tube. Every time I had a flat, this was the reason.

Favorite Trail:   anything is good 4 me

Purchased At:   Local Retailer

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Piranha

Submitted by Muttley Macclad a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Strengths:    None. It took money out of my wallet

Weaknesses:    It CAUSED my flat, rather than prevent it. How's that for a weakness? I think that's weakness squared.

Bottom Line:
This tube protector is HARMFUL. After being stranded (18 miles after TWO FLAT TIRES) a-freakin'-gain, I took the tire off and there was a hole in the tube . no, there was no hole in the tire - and I didn't hit a pothole curb or anything else. On the advice of a bike repairwoman, I looked carefully at the surface of the tube. Sure enough, the light imprint of where the tube strip overlaps itself (not supposed to cut the strip down to length), there was a pinhole - so I'm 100% sure that's what caused it. I had the inflation properly set, etc. etc. NO abuse, no offroading, just flat level terrain.

Stay away from this crap.

Favorite Trail:   the pavement from my house to work

Purchased At:   huck and roll

Bike Setup:   Specialized Comp, Armadillo Tires, specialized tubes, otherwise stock.

Submitted by bitterootmtbkr a Cross Country Rider from Blackfoot, Id USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2010

Strengths:    protection from some things

Weaknesses:    I still get punctures from goat heads

Bottom Line:
I wish they were just a little more puncture resistant and not any heavier. Possibly Kevlar molded inside the plastic.

Purchased At:   Walmart sucks

Similar Products Used:   heavy tubes

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher supercaliber redwin red x.o complete xc tires

Submitted by Joe Pio a Racer from Toronto Canada

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2010

Strengths:    In 4 years never has a flat. Tires wear down and get square tread before i change them. I got about 8000 miles out of a pair of Michelin Pro 2's. I rotate the tires every 1500 miles. I have them on all my bikes.

Weaknesses:    To prevent getting a flat tire as mention on previous reviews, just get a pair if scissors aend round off each end before instalation. I had that problem with another set of tire liners. I forget the name but they were orange and hand a black stripe doen the middle.

Bottom Line:
The best product i have ever used. Always check tires by rubbing your bare hand over your tires. I usually am picking out small particles of glass. It will not cut through the liner but may eventually ruin your tire.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Round off each end with scissors. When cutting do it on an 45 degree angle to taper the end to prevent pucturing the tube.

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from OC, CA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2009

Strengths:    Unknown

Weaknesses:    Ends cut through tube over time

Bottom Line:
I installed per instructions and taped ends just in case. The hard plastic ends still sliced through inner tube (in about 5,000 miles).

Can't say if they work to prevent flats since I didn't run over anything that would have punctured a tire but they seem like they'd prevent a thorn from going through.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by chatham a Cross Country Rider from stone mountain GA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    none.

Weaknesses:    After a couple of weeks my rear tire went flat. the protector cut my tube with the end that is overlapped.

Bottom Line:
don't get this. buy the slime tube scabs and carry a pump or something.

Favorite Trail:   Yellow river

Purchased At:   wal-mart

Bike Setup:   full suspension

Submitted by Oldradioguy2 a Weekend Warrior from Severna Park, MD

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2009

Strengths:    Must work, since I haven't had any flats since I installed it. Also, light weight. I can't tell the difference with it installed.

Weaknesses:    A little bit of a hassle to install, but after you've done two sets of tires, it's gets easier.

Bottom Line:
We have a tree around here called Sweet Gum that produces little, spiked seed balls that resemble a medieval weapon called a mace. These little balls are as effective at flattening your tires as Goat's Head, especially in this world of ultra-light everything, including mountain bike tires. The leak is super slow, so you get deep in the woods and then get to change a flat there, or walk your bike home. We were spending $30/week on tubes and that pressurized canned goo stuff that gets you home, but eventually it fails too.

I installed slime tube guards in all 3 of our bikes, with standard Kenda 26x2.125 tubes, and we haven't had a flat since. I was getting a flat every time I went out on trail, and 50% of the time I rode on a paved path.

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Similar Products Used:   None like this!

Bike Setup:   2009 Gary Fisher Marlin Disk, Bontrager Jones XR tires, kenda 26x2.125 tubes.