Home | Reviews | Tube | Slime

Slime Self Healing Presta Tube

2.82/5 (55 Reviews)

Slime Self Sealing Smart Bike Tube. Self-Sealing Smart Bike Tubes with Slime Inside. All Slime Smart Tubes are factory-filled with a precise volume of Slime Tube Sealant. Smart Tubes instantly seek out and seal punctures as they occur, preventing flats, repeatedly and continuously for up to two years. Ride without worries.

Submitted by tthomas allen

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2014

Strengths:    Suck

Weaknesses:    Sucks

Bottom Line:
Have bought 2 slim inner tubes in 4 days they both have split on the seam about a half inch rip resulting in me having to push my bike roughly 4 miles back home in 95 degree heat not fun there the tube sucks

Submitted by Mike Munroe

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2013

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Two flats on a 40 mile Mt Bike ride due to manufacturer defects.The front and back tubes both developed splits on the inner longitudinal seems of the tube. I have had 3 different tubes do the same thing. After the first one I carefully installed new rim liner strips thinking that might be the problem. Apparently not! Also they do not seal sticker punctures well even on a high pressure re-pump. I am sick of them and am moving on to something else.

Submitted by edward raine

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2013

Strengths:    Got me out of trouble today when my armadillos let me down, 4 miles from work. I ran over a rivet about 2mm thick which went 10mm to 15mm into the tyre. It got me to work and back again.

Weaknesses:    Cant seem to be able to get hold of long presta valves and they make a bit of a mess inside the tyre.,

Bottom Line:
I've had them on two bikes now, the first was a racer which was always getting punctures I hadn't learned that you need to pay for good tyres at that stage. I know everyone says these tubes add to much weight on a racer but whats more annoying on the way to work in the rain than having to sit by the side of the road fixing your tyre as clocking on time is getting closer and closer. Back then id average a puncture every two to three weeks or 200 to 300 miles. I the end it was about 4 months before i managed to get a flat. When I took the tube off there were about 7 or 8 puncture marks that had been fixed without me even knowing about it. So i replaced the tube with another slime tube and didn't have any more problems, until i replaced the bike about 6 months later. I bought a road bike at halfords about a year ago and when they were putting it together they nipped the tube on the rear wheel so i said id pay the difference if they replaced it with a slime tube, and its been going strong for about a year (new job only about 3000 miles or so). The front tube was a different story I had about 6 punctures before the summer and then i invested about 70 pounds on a pair of armadillos and a slime tube in the front wheel, I've had about 6 months puncture free until today when I ran over a rivet( I Cant figure that one out either) on waterloo bridge , I could hear a slight hissing and a banging sound as it hit my mud Gaurd. I pulled over, pulled it out thinking I was in for a bit of a long walk and tried to figure out what the green sticky stuff was and was on my way hoping that I wouldn't be too late for work. I'd been pushing the bike for about a hundred meters and had noticed that the tyre wasn't flat. So i thought I'd give it a go and cycled into work pumped the tyre up a bit and cycled home. Can only praise these slime tubes.

Submitted by aram_mtb a Weekend Warrior from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
bought 2 tubes, 1 of them got a puncture and went flat, pumped air like 4 times and the tube doesn't stopped to leak air, have to take out the tube to see if the punture was to big but it wasnt, gave several spin to the wheel to get the slime sealant into the puncture but it never worked, have to used an slime skabs kit to seal the puncture but it worked only a few miles !! i had to walk back pushing my bike and missed a great ride because i trusted in this tubes, they suck !!!

Favorite Trail:   Ajusco

Purchased At:   Tranvision Bike

Bike Setup:   mavic's xm819 laced to hope pro2 hubs

Submitted by mharon47 a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2011

Strengths:    I have never had problems with slime tubes. But it seems to me, you either hate it or love it. Ive used slime ever since I started riding, about 8 years ago. Ive never felt slosshy tires, as other seem to have, the weight isnt bad... if you're a weight weenie, go tubeless, but if your on a budget, get these. just know, that if you get a puncture, they seal as the slime fills the hole. sometimes it helps to flip the bike over and spin the wheel a couple times. Great product, I have all 4 slime tubes still in good condition in my garage (I bought lighter ones later on)

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
great product, especially on a budget.

Purchased At:   Wally world

Similar Products Used:   Off brands.

Bike Setup:   2008 Specialized rockhopper with tons of upgrades.

Submitted by trackman_7 a Cross Country Rider from Missoula, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
In the last year, I have had 4 of these tubes punctured during rides and all four tubes have gone completely flat. In all four cases, the puncture was less than the 1/8 inch diameter that the sealant in this product is touted as being able to fill. Furthermore, I have had 2 of these tubes blow-out on me in 1 year. In contrast, I have been running the same Conti. tube in my commuter bike for 1 year and have had ZERO problems. I would give these tubes a 0 of 5 but that is not possible on your product's web-site site, and as such, I will never purchase a slime tube as long as I live.
Finally, I have a question.

Favorite Trail:   Saw Mill Gulch

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Continetal Race Lite

Submitted by MeanRyan a Cross Country Rider from Arizona

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Strengths:    These things work! Since installing them, they've saved me the trouble of removing my rims at least half a dozen times. I encounter a heck of a lot of thorns on my ride, even the larger nastier ones are met with little resistance. Although after removing a larger object you may have to rotate the wheel so the hole can fill in with the slime, tiny price to pay to avoid being stranded.

Weaknesses:    Some users here have mentioned they don't work so well in cold weather. I haven't experienced this, as I live in Arizona. Other then that, I have nothing bad to say about Slime Tubes.

Bottom Line:
This item works, in SPITE of all the other complaints about added weight and messy residue, which I haven't noticed, and not working in cold weather? (how cold?) All bikes should come standard with these installed.

Purchased At:   Walmart

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Single speed 26 inch wheels.

Submitted by John R a Cross Country Rider from Grand Haven, MI

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2010

Strengths:    This product is great! I was getting a flat a month riding the streets and trails. When I replaced my tires I also replaced my tubes with Slime tubes. Over 2 years and 1500 miles and not one flat. I am a true believer.

Weaknesses:    None, except for green slime on my finger when I break the seal on the air inlet to top off the tire pressure. A small price to pay!

Bottom Line:
I will never go without these.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Ibex Trophy Pro, Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires, Shimano XT, Juciy BB7, Manitou R7

Submitted by Taurine a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    Standing up and pedalling around the last corner on my favourite trail I leant over too far and felt the tyre buckle under the rim and slide. Lucky escape not to fall tbh and was surprised that the tyre didn't deflate. 4 hours later the tube had deflated but pump 50psi back in and the tube is ready to go again. Just did another 20mile trip and the tube was fine, saved me having to change/repair the tube between rides.

Weaknesses:    Heeeeeeeaaaavvyyyyyy. I use these tubes with my mud tyres and heavier wheelset for night rides. They give me confidence that they won't leave me stranded in the forest in the middle of the night but you can really feel the weight. Not cheap either, especially at my local Halfrauds.

Bottom Line:
For peace of mind they are excellent. I have not had to repair a puncture in the last 2 months of night rides.

Purchased At:   Halfrauds

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Taurine + Bontrager Mud-X + Slime Tubes for night rides.

Submitted by humpbacks1962 a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2008

Strengths:    Appeal

Weaknesses:    Does not deliver as promised

Bottom Line:
I commute 30 miles each day to work. I got tired of the flats, so I tried this product. It lasted two weeks before I was again stranded with a flat. I bought the pre-filled tubes.

The slack in the pedaling is hard to deal with. Althought "4oz per tire" doesn't add much weight to it, bear in mind that the fluid changes the inertia of the tire, and it feels like you are pushing a far heavier bike. Those who do not notice a difference are probably riding on flat surfaces. If your trek has hills and you aren't fit to it, avoid the added affort this product will bring along.

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Bike Setup:   Mountain

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Tucson Arizona

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Weak Seams, Don't seal punctures

Bottom Line:
I have used slime tubes for years. This last year it seems the tubes they are using and the slime itself is sub par. Tubes busting at the seam. The slime not sealing even small punctures.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   None (yet)

Bike Setup:   Basic Dual Suspension

Submitted by chris a Weekend Warrior from irvine, ca

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2008

Strengths:    self heals

Weaknesses:    air stems in presta

Bottom Line:
had 3 goathead flats in 2 weeks...since using slime tires and slime liners, no goathead flats in a year and a half. did have one blow on me after a year...not sure if it was just worn out or oinched from the liners. had to wipe the green slime out of the tire but that was a small price to pay for not having thorn flats for that long. if you don't like the quality of the slime tire there's a trick for adding slime to a regular presta tube. you need to remove the nut form the presta valve (pinch the tube by the base of the sten so the pin doesn't fall back into the tire), use a schrader valve adaptor to add the sealent to the tube, then replace the nut on the presta valve. just remember when you go to add air to the rie that the nut will come off if you turn it too far.

Favorite Trail:   aliso woods canyon

Purchased At:   performance bike

Submitted by Stu a Racer from Ashford, Kent, UK

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2008

Weaknesses:    Dangerous wheel unbalance.

Bottom Line:
I cannot comment on the effectiveness of the claimed puncture healing properties because I did not receive a puncture, however what I did experience is that the SLIME inside the tubes unbalances the wheels so much it completely upsets the handling of the bike. Cornering downhill at 40mph I had the biggest tankslapper of my life! For XC and commuter bikes the effects may not be nearly as severe, but this product has no place on a road racing bike. I was Naive enough to be curious to try them, but I will not be using them again.

Purchased At:   wiggle.co.uk

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac /Mavic /Dura Ace

Submitted by Drago from Murrieta, CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2007

Weaknesses:    Strange feel when riding, and extra weight.

Bottom Line:
I deviated from my normal route and paid the price by hitting another thorny bush, these bushes have popped 4 tubes in the past 6 months. When I had the last blowout I decided to try out the Slime tube. It was replaced on my rear wheel and I could feel a little difference in the feel of my bike, but not a big deal. Yesterday when I hit the bush I thought to myself, "well I didnt pack a backup tube, I will be hiking the final 3 miles to home". It turns out I made it home just in time, my front tire (non Slime) was completely deflated while the back (with Slime) was fine. When I started to repair the back tire (pull out all the thorns) little globs of green slime came out and filled the holes. It only lost a little air so I reinflated to see if it would hold. I would say there are 20+ holes in this tire. It held pressure and I rode it today on my 14 mile round trip commute. I know it probably isnt a good idea to keep this tube with that many holes but I want to see how long this tube will hold. I was amazed that it held pressure after 20+ thorns protruding the tube. Needless to say I replaced the front tube and am riding with Slime from now on.

Some of the other reviews said it was hard to fill, I disagree, the slime does settle in the valve but one good pump and it blows right through.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC1

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    Butyl rubber air retention, Butyl rubber strength against puntures, Seals holes quickly and efficiently, Easy to spot a puncture with it's unique Slime Green colour, Selection of either a schrader or presta valve, Accomodates many tire widths.

Weaknesses:    Weight, sometimes feels like your tire is going down, spits slime at the valve when adding air and the occasional clog at valve that requires a good hard blast of from your floor pump to clear.

Bottom Line:
I've had this tube installed on my rear wheel since September 2005 with a Michelin Wild Gripper City 26"x1.5" tire. As of January 2007 this tube is installed on my rear wheel with an IRC Metro Duro 26"x1.5" tire. By March 2007 I'll of had this tube for 1.5yrs with no flats and air top-ups only needed once every 2 weeks. It's a little heavy, some times feels sluggish like that of a flat. But it does provide protection against a total flat, so you can atleast limp your ride home instead of walking it. You need to clean the presta valve and floor pump attachments after each top-up with the occasional hard blast of air.
Bottom Line: For a FREE tube that costs $11-$13 Canadian before taxes and no punctures in 1.5yrs it's excellent!

Purchased At:   FREE from Corrine at Slime after she read my review, contacted me via email and sent me a tube!

Similar Products Used:   Lambert Select (self healing/extra long presta valve/orange slime), Cheng Shin, Panaracer Greenlite, Norco, Bontrager Narrow, Maxxis Flyweight & IRC Torque.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk