Salsa Cycles Pnumaticos Simpaticos Tube

Salsa Pnumaticos Simpaticos

Submitted by Sung C a Cross Country Rider from Northern CA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight

Bottom Line:
Let me preface the review by saying that I am a big guy, 250lbs. That being said, I am quite happy with these tubes! I had originally ordered WTB duralights (3), but the online retailer were out and they sent me these (3) as replacements. Since using them, I have had excellent results. I am noticing barely any loss of air, nor any pinch flats. The two times I've flattened are because of thorns on my rear tire. My front tube is still running strong.

Since I seem to be getting nailed by thorns on my rear, I am planning to try a thorn resistant brand on my rears. For my front, I will keep running with Salsas.

Favorite Trail:   Los Alamitos Creek Trail

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Giant Rainier, Time ATAC pedals, WTB Laser V Steath saddle, Mavic XM321 Disc with XT hubs, Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires, Cateye Enduro 2

Submitted by Chris Oliveira a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, durability, gold stems and caps match my gold rims

Weaknesses:    not carried by any of my favorite LBS's any more, a little pricey

Bottom Line:
I have had great luck with these tubes! I ran them on my SC Superlight last year before I sold it off for house money and now run them religiously on my Spot single speed (however I just ordered some Maxxis tubes from maxxis.com to save a little money, sorry Salsa/Kenda). I've found with ultralight tubes that I can run higher pressure while maintaining the same traction as a thicker tube at lower pressure. This means I don't pinch flat anymore at all. The only time I've flatted is because of thorns or tire punctures on very sharp rocks (I wouldn't expect any normal tube to survive either). I weigh 150 and run 25 psig in my huge Sedonas or 35 psig in my Firepro XC 2.1's with excellent results.

Favorite Trail:   Daley's Ranch

Similar Products Used:   various

Bike Setup:   rigid Spot SS, Spot/517 wheels, Geax Sedona 2.25 tires

Submitted by tim a Racer from slc, ut

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    pricey

Bottom Line:
I switched to these tubes after having several problems with continentals. So far I haven't had any problems beyond what would be expected with a tube. For now, I'm sticking with them.

Purchased At:   canyon bikes

Similar Products Used:   continental lights, specialized thin,

Bike Setup:   voodoo bizango

Submitted by rathbone a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    takes extra time to do the inflate, check, deflate, re-inflate thing.....quality control?

Bottom Line:
The first tube lasted 10 minutes, the second tube not much longer, and after that I was ready to give up on them, but I still had two more of the !@#@#$%$# things!!

Solution: This time I READ and HEEDED the instructions and paid careful attention to how I installed them, and VOILA! No flats after the last 10 hard rides....I am not light (200#) and am running 35-40 PSI, and I am a very aggresive rider. You have to install them CORRECTLY....they are not a regular tube you can just chuck on the rim.

I may end up liking these tubes after all.

Bike Setup:   2001 Ellsworth Truth, 2.1 Pan. XC Fire pros

Submitted by Matt a Racer from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    The freaking tube in a weakness.

Bottom Line:
Yes, the are the bottom of the line. My old tubes, who knows what the hell they were, lasted a year. I've gone through 4 of these pieces of kenda krap in a week. I always love getting blowout half an hour after changing both tubes.

GARBAGE!!!

Purchased At:   NYC LBS

Similar Products Used:   Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez A1 Comp, Ultegra Wheels.

Submitted by Eric Iversen a Cross Country Rider from Johnson City, TN

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Strengths:    Lightwieght

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
These are same as Kenda lightweight butyl. That's who makes the tubes. Look closely and you will see Kenda stamped in the butyl. The only difference is th gold stem and an extra $2. They work just fine and flat as often as any butyl tube does. I easily can get a couple of months of hard riding.

Favorite Trail:   Muddy Hollow to Blue Trail

Similar Products Used:   Kenda lightweight butyl (same tube)
Richty lightweight butyl

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler with Mavic 517 and IRC Mythos (r) and Conti Leader Pro (f)

Submitted by Drew a Weekend Warrior from nyc

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
Lightweight

Weaknesses:
Punctured on first ride

Bottom Line:
These tubes are very light ... was impressed by the weight loss from my regular tube. But it punctured on my first ride... i did some hills and ran over some rocks ... and it punctured after 1 hour of riding ... oh my... when i tried fixing it ... i found 8 puncture holes...!!!!i must admit i do ride hard ... but not hard enough to make 8 different punctures ... I went back to my kenda puncture resistent's ... they'er the chein whatever tire... with kenda box... haha
yeah same tire ... you just pay more for the box. they are heavy... but i ride really hard... and never had a flat yet ... can you do a 8 foot drop with salsa tubes? ... nope.

less than 1 month

Puncture resitent kenda tube, alot of different prestas and strada's.

trek y3 '99, manitou sx-r, spins, specialized team baldy's ... ect

Submitted by Mike a Cross-Country Rider from Saginaw

Date Reviewed: November 6, 1999

Strengths:
light

Weaknesses:
they pop in one ride

Bottom Line:
Well, they SUCK, one ride and it pops, not even on the ride, just sitting there and out of the blue psssssss, they are light but taking your wheels apart every ride is BS, both wheels popped after just one ride... that is bad, don't buy these unless you like getting flats, I don't know why other people liked them because they are trash

regular tubes

K2/Proflex 4000, XTR, Race Face

Submitted by Derek a Cross-Country Rider from Islip, NY

Date Reviewed: September 26, 1999

Strengths:
ULTRA LIGHT

Weaknesses:
NONE

Bottom Line:
THESE TUBES ARE GOOD BECAUSE THEY ARE LIGHT AND THE LONG STEMS ARE PERFECT FOR SPINERGYS AND THEY HAVE A NEATO GOLD CAP ON THEM TOO!!!I'VE USED THEM FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND I HAVENT HAD ANY PROBLEMS OTHER THAN THE NORM.

CATHEDRAL PINES

1 Year

PLAIN OL' ANNOYING SHORT STEM TUBES

1998 INFUSION M-X-C PRO WITH 1997 MANITOU FS-TI STROKER,FULL XTR, 1997 SPINERGY REV-X-ROKS,IRC MYTHOS XC KEVLAR TIRES

Submitted by chance a Cross-Country Rider from tampa

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
lots

Bottom Line:
oh, yes, the tubes are extremely light weight, something like 105 grams or so, but, being more than half the weight of a regular tube isn't everything...or anything in this case. be prepared to put as many as 4 or five patches/tube/ride. that should get the weight back up to 200 grams or so. these things pop if you look at them funny, so don't get a wild hair and insult them or your screwed. i've gone thru as many as three of these tubes in a week(with many patches a piece, of course.) i spend as much on pach kits now as i do on tubes. i'm sure that i'm not allowed to give them a zero, but if i could, it would be so. i would rather spend $20 on a downhill tube for my cross country rig. please dont waste your $6.

6 months

corvair, aol, clapper, and many other products that completely suck

mavic 217 rims, and...does it matter. these tubes aren't even useful as chain stay protectors

Submitted by Peter a Cross-Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Strengths:
Light

Weaknesses:
Little bit more expensive than a standard tube.

Bottom Line:
It's a tube and it works, what more can you say.

1 Year

Other tubes

Kona Kula

Submitted by Scott a Cross-Country Rider from St. Louis MO

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1999

Strengths:
Decent Price
Nice Gold Electroplate
Nice/Light

Weaknesses:
Looses a little air

Bottom Line:
If you can find them, a overall good buy. Tried more expensive latex tubes and similar butyl but are not as good. They don't loose as much as latex but don't hold up like regular butyls. Well made and very light/strong. Highly recommend them!

Specialized Turbo
Continental Hermetic S
Continental Latex

Klein, White Bros SC90

Submitted by Art a Cross-Country Rider from Adirondack Mtns.,N.Y.

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1999

Strengths:
As light as a latex, at half the price.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I'm using the 1.5-1.75 size tubes, mostly to run with the skinny Hubi's, but smaller and larger are available. The 1.75's are light (105g.), and they inflate just fine with larger 2.0 tires. I haven't had any flats yet, and the valves work well; also, I like the fact that the Presta valves are threaded, so you can tighten down and help keep the tube from sliding when mounting to the rims. The Torelli tubes were not threaded and didn't seem as light as the Salsa's.They lose a little air over a few days but all tubes do. I always check/re-inflate my tires before every ride anyway. The gold electroplate helps to keep the valve from rusting and adds a great looking touch to your wheelset. Cool product! 5 hot ones.

3 months

Air B Latex,Torelli Lights,etc.

Geax Hubi 160,Blade 200,Sedona 200 tires;Cane Creek WAM Yellow wheels;C'dale Super V 900.