Pyramid Audio Thorn Resistant Tubes Tube

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)

Thorn Resistant Tubes

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from El Paso, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2009

Strengths:    Super thick, Taiwanese made, so you feel more comfortable trusting the quality of the product.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but that's the name of the game.

Bottom Line:
I switched to these after flatting on pretty much every ride in the thorn and rock infested trails of El Paso--I would commonly get three thorn punctures per tube on thin tubes with sealant. So they weren't doing the trick.

The tough part is that I was just starting to get the leg strength to keep that crucial SS 29er momentum going on the hills. Now I am back to square one because these are very heavy tubes. But that's okay, it's just a matter of getting freakish leg strength! It's all good. 4 Chilis because of the suffering I went through on my last ride :)

Favorite Trail:   NE Trails

Purchased At:   Cambria

Bike Setup:   SS 29er!

Submitted by Chad Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2007

Strengths:    Uhm, its THORNPROOF.

Weaknesses:    Its a little heavy, but so is my bike.

Bottom Line:
I have not had to put new tubes on my bike since I got these bad boys. Two years and 4 tires later and I have not had one problem with them. I try to ride whatever ends up in front of me, climbs, drops, single track, slickrock, whatever, and in AZ there are cactus and sharp rocks all over the place. They hold air too, and thats always good. I bought some for my girlfriends Rockhopper the day I brought it home too.

Favorite Trail:   Anything RAD

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   What ever came on my bike.

Bike Setup:   K2 Lithium, LOCO Wheelset

Submitted by Rob Miher a Cross Country Rider from PHX, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2005

Strengths:    These suckers are probably indestructable. I haven't had a flat yet.
Also, because all their weight is in the wheels, it enhances their gyroscopic effect, giving you better balance.

Weaknesses:    But yeah, they're heavy. You can lose momentum fast if you're going uphill.

Bottom Line:
Big fat note: You have to pump these up with the valve stem at 3:00 or 9:00! I didn't know that at first and tried to pump it up with the stem at the bottom. The sealing goop came out the valve stem! I called Sun Cyclery and they gave me a valve stem tool and some extra valve cores. I took the core out of the stem and cleaned it off. The goop inside must be water-soluble (which would worry me if I didn't live in the desert), because the core is as good as new.
My bike is pretty heavy as it is, but I can feel the extra weight. It hasn't stopped me, even climbing uphill.
By lowering the center of gravity and as I mentioned before, putting the weight in the wheels, they really do help your balance, too.
Overall, even though the bike is heavier, it's easier to control and doesn't get flats anymore!
Oh, and I think I got ripped off something fierce. I wish I had known that I could get these for like $7 before I paid $15 for each. In order for these to have a higher value rating for me, they need to pay for themselves in flats that I don't need to buy a new tube for.

Favorite Trail:   100 in the PHX MNT Preserve

Purchased At:   Sun Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Regular tubes.

Bike Setup:   Department store Honda Thumper

Submitted by Barry Childress a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2004

Strengths:    These tubes are thick! You almost don’t need a tire. Their ideal application are for any bike that is caring extra weight on less then ideal ground. So if you are riding a tandem, pulling a trailer or just have panniers and are experiencing blow outs you need this tube! One tube lasted me 6 months and the only reason it went is because the tire went first!

To give you an idea what this tube can hold up to I have an xtracycle (a permanently attached trailer) that I use to carry 40 – 100 lbs of camping gear on the C&O. I used to get one or two blow outs every time I was on the C&O now multiple trips and no blow outs.

Weaknesses:    bulky and heavy.

Bottom Line:
Any bike that is caring extra weight on less then ideal ground that is experancing blow outs needs this tube.

Favorite Trail:   C&O

Purchased At:   C&O Bicycle, Hancock, MD

Similar Products Used:   Slime liner and slime tubes.

Bike Setup:   Trec 7500 with an xtracycle

Submitted by Will T Smith a Weekend Warrior from Valparaiso, IN

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2004

Strengths:    They simply don't puncture. They also hold 80psi pressure for WEEKS without needing to be pumped up.

Weaknesses:    They're to big to carry as a spare. Then again, you won't need one.

Bottom Line:
Put these on your bike and you'll probably NEVER patch another tire unless your trials course involves beds of nails and samurai swords.

You will also start scoffing at pumps because these suckers just DO NOT LOSE AIR between rides.

Yeah, they're a little heavier. But the extra 1/2# won't trim off as much time as patching an innertube.

At 5 bucks, it's a steal. It cost just as much as a garden variety tube.

Favorite Trail:   Imagination Glen

Purchased At:   Zim's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Latex filler.

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon, thudbuster seatpost, FireXC Pro 2.25 tires

Submitted by Jade a Weekend Warrior from Sherman, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2003

Strengths:    Tough and stong, would definately break most thorns

Weaknesses:    weighs approximately 1 pound more than a regular tube

Bottom Line:
I would recommend these for durability most definately. My question is will they affect the feel of the ride? Will they make the tires feel more rigid? Since getting back into biking I have ridden two rides on regular tires and have only demo tested these, hopefully soon I will know if the smoothness of the ride is affected at all.
I got mine for $4.75 at a LBS, better value than a department store. Who says all good things have to be expensive. :)

Favorite Trail:   The Road To Nowhere as it passes me by

Purchased At:   Bike Works, Denison Texas

Similar Products Used:   Regular tube.

Bike Setup:   Recently aquired an approx. 1997 specialized hardrock to be upgraded later

Submitted by Christopher a Weekend Warrior from Beale AFB, CA.

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    I will say it. "Indestructible" I've been riding these babies all over the Sierra Nevada for approximately a year. Not one pinch, blow or valve problem, . I will definitely have these tubes on my next setup. I still want to try the tubeless thing but if that fails you can guess what is going back on the my bike.

Weaknesses:    The Weight!! Personnally I don't notice it unless I'm holding it in my hand.

Bottom Line:
I give them 5 chilli's because I don't mind the weight. At first I thought I payed a little too much, but after a year the have payed for themselves and there replacments(whenever that happens).

Similar Products Used:   None. Got lucky on the first try.

Submitted by Mojombo a Weekend Warrior from La Verne, CA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Strengths:    Super tough. One may even go so far as to say "indestructable."

Weaknesses:    Super heavy. I think my wheels wheigh as much as the rest of my bike.

Bottom Line:
If your not a giant wuss and can handle a little extra weight on your tires, go for the thorn-resistant. Whether you're grunting out the Amassa Back at Moab or half piping through a rock filled gully, you'll be the one sucking on your CamelBak in the shade while your buddy screams profanities at his standard tube (and because he didn't bring a patch). I rode these tires *everywhere* for a year (before my bike was stolen) and scoffed at the broken glass, the jabby thorns and the so called "pinch flat." My new bike will definately have these tubes. A 4 overall because, yes, they weigh as much as your mom.

Bike Setup:   WTB SpeedDisc rims, Ritchey SpeedMax Alpha/Omega tires.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Hollywood, fl, usa

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Used these tubes for years because they are cheep, and they usually hold up. The other day I bought two with presta valves, when I got home, the guts were missing out of one of the valves, and this morning I came off an 8 inch drop and the whole valve stem riped off the tube on the rear tire. In over 10 years of riding I have never had tthat many problems

Favorite Trail:   oleta

Submitted by Bryan Offenhauer a cross-country rider from Bradenton, FL

Date Reviewed: September 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

Yeah sure they're heavy but if you like to have fun while you ride and get some big air without worrying about falts go for these you can blow them hell I don't even carry a pump or spare tubes I've ridden them for like a year and 1/2 now and you can't blow 'em (I've tried) Go for them they're very good. Five chillies minus one 'cause these pups are heavy.

Pyramid Thorn Resistant 29er tubes

Has anyone tried them? just put them on since the trail i ride at is extremely thorny and i cant afford tubeless. hope they workRead More »

Presta valves on Bontrager thorn-resistant tubes

I've got an ongoing problem that I'm hoping someone could enlighten me about. I'm a X-country rider on very gently sloping and smooth DG fans in Arizona, nothing gonzo about the terrain other than the cacti. Recently I've been using Bontrager thorn-resistant Presta tubes (that's what my shop carri ... Read More »

Presta valves on Bontrager thorn-resistant tubes

Ugh, thorn-resistant tubes sho' are heavy!

Got a Quality brand thorn-resist tube for the rear, installed it with a Slime liner on a Continental Gravity 2.3. Now I have more confidence and peace of mind. But the rear wheel is heavy now! No, I'm not ready for tubeless yet! I know, I know, heard all the good stuff about it, but using tubes is e ... Read More »

Rynolite rims ripping thorn resistant tubes ...

I have new Rynolite rims teamed with XT hubs. Previously I have used Thorn Resistant Tires (Pyramid/Kenda) that are rates up to 2.25" tires. And I have been using Panaracer Cinders in the 2.25" width. Now with my new rims, the inner tubes seem to be "slipping" inside the tires. These eventuall ... Read More »