Performance UltraLight Presta ATB Tube Tube

Submitted by bad mechanic a Cross Country Rider from Maryland, USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2010

Strengths:    A reliable, light weight tube. Not much more to say.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
These tubes have proven to be as reliable as anything out there, provided the pressure isn't low. I've used them in some extremely thin walled tires, and the only flat I've gotten was from a thorn, which would flat any tube. Since an average tube weighs about 200g, these cut 70g per tube, and roughly a quarter pound of rotating weight per bike. Since I buy them whenever they go on sale at Performance, I get them for about $7 a tube, which is very cheap for a light weight tube.

These tubes are one of the rare exceptions where it's durable, light, AND cheap. There really isn't a downside.

Please be aware, however, that these are cross country or trail tubes. These aren't freeride or DH tubes.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   I don't even have time to list all the different tubes I've tried. Let's just a LOT.

Bike Setup:   Single speed running Conti MK 2.2 Supersonic tires.

Submitted by richard t a Cross Country Rider from los alamos, nm

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2007

Strengths:    light, no fuss tubes

Weaknesses:    more prone to flats than heavier tubes, but a non-issue if installed and ridden correctly

Bottom Line:
Just thought I'd add a current review on this tube.

Bottom line: It's a good ultralight tube. I've been running them on my bikes since getting back into xc riding a couple years ago. The only time I've gotten flats is when riding through sticker-ridden fields when the singletrack ended and I felt like exploring. My own fault there, though heavier tube with sealant would have saved the day.

For appropriate riding, including screaming decents and death march ascents, these tubes are solid and have never let me down!

Favorite Trail:   guaje ridge

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Bike Setup:   2002 RM Element

Submitted by Tyoda a Cross Country Rider from N Calif

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    Readily available at your local Performance store. Cheaper than "name brand" tubes, yet work just as well.

Bottom Line:
Tube is a tube. These are a bit on the thin/light side so be careful not to run them too low or they will easily pinch flat on technical rides. Ran my last pair for 5 months- maybe a bit lucky, but no flats until just recently.

Submitted by Jon Howard a Racer from Milwaukee, Wi

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Strengths:    They work.
Light weight.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Have lasted a season of XC racing, 8 races plus training. I talcum powder the tubes before I put them on and I probably took the tires and tubes off several times during the season to check rim tape, cuts, etc.

I got these on sale and I'll get more when they are on sale again. If you're a sloppy wrencher though and don't do much maintenance you're probably safer with heavy tubes.

Bike Setup:   Using with Python Lights on Sun Tomac XC rims

Submitted by Tom M a Weekend Warrior from Germantown, MD

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    4 flats on one light ride.

Bottom Line:
These tubes suck. I went out for a light ride, on pavement. I didn't bring a spare tube, but did have a patch kit. I put about 7 miles on the ride and had to fix the tube 4 times. Later, when I went to change the tube, it had gone flat a fifth time. There were no jumps or road hazards.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   First Ultralight tube - maybe the last.