Home | Reviews | Tube | Maxxis

Maxxis Flyweight Tube

3.76/5 (37 Reviews)
Weight : 99g MSRP : $18.99

Maxxis Flyweight Tubes: Super lightweight .45mm wall thickness tube, rim strip included. 76g

Submitted by Jeff a Racer from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2008

Strengths:    Light (thats if you cqan get them to last at all!!!)

Weaknesses:    Weak as #%$#!!! If you can get them on your rims without blowing, you will be lucky to get more than 1 ride out of them.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY THESE!!!!
You will waste your money like i did. They don't last at all. VERY VERY DISAPOINTED with this product.

Submitted by George from UK

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    go flat when you touch them

Bottom Line:
I went on my first proper ride today with a friend. He got a flat from his old tube, so i gave him my spare flyweight. It flatted in about 45 minutes. 20 seconds later my flyweight flatted as well. We were running high psi and my tyres have snakebike protection. It didn't work. These tubes are a joke for anyone other than weight weenies who ride on the road. AVOID

Submitted by Joey JAMIESON a Racer from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2007

Strengths:    Super light and own rim tape

Weaknesses:    Havn't experienced one yet. Except for the price.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a cheap way to lower the rolling resistance. I found a combination of Maxxis flyweights on the front and welterweights on the rear are a great combination. Having less weight up front will improve the handling greatly and because the front doesn't get the abuse the rear does. You shouldn't have too many flats.

Favorite Trail:   any good long single track

Purchased At:   For the Riders

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Welterweight tube, IRC, and others

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized FSR XC

Submitted by Daniel Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Richardson, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2007

Strengths:    -Super Light
-Compact

Weaknesses:    Very easy to puncture

Bottom Line:
These tubes have been good. I dont think I would recomend them for anything other than to carry as a spare. They fit inside a tiny box. The only reason I havent replaced mine is because I have a ton of patches... and I just keep patching the holes. I think one of mine has like 7 patches on it. Ha.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Grapevine

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M40, XT Crankset, LX Disc Brakes, Mavic 217's with XT Hubs

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Bendigo, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2005

Strengths:    Light, light, light. Fit in a tiny weeny little box - so great to carry as a spare. Good way to strip weight for not much coin.

Weaknesses:    No resistance to pinch flats. I noticed I was getting way more pinch flats on the back than ever before, at my usual pressures. After a month and a half I had four pinch flats on the back. So now my rear tube is about 50 grams heavier with all the patches. I've had no probs with the front. I think you need to up your pressure with these, as the thin casing gives no resistance to the tyre bottoming. That was with Maxxis Hard drive duals in 2.1 and Tioga Red Phoenix 1.9. A bigger or heavier built tyre may not need it I suspect.

Bottom Line:
Good way to shave some weight from the most important area on your bike. You can feel the difference in your wheels with these in. Pity they are so sensitive to pinch flats tho. I'm 78kg and normally run about 40 to 45 psi in the back, depending on tyre volume and terrain. If you run higher pressures, are lighter or use thicker casing tyres or have soft suspension you may not have this problem. Dare I say it, but I'll drag that oft used cliche out:

"No good in rock gardens."

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson, IRC, Tioga, numerous other tubes from oddly named Asian makers.

Bike Setup:   05 GT Avalanche 0.5 hardtail with a few bits changed.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, comes with a rim strip and clever packaging.

Weaknesses:    Pricey at $10/CAN for the Flyweight ($13/CAN for the Ultraweight). Barely lasted 48hrs (2 tubes).

Bottom Line:
I got these home and they lasted as long as a fly lives.
Maxxis Flyweight Narrow tubes at 26"x1.5"-1.75" come in at a scant 89g, 0.45mm thick (according to the box). The first tube was mounted on a rim with Velox rim tape and the supplied rim strip by 12 noon. At 65psi all the air suddenly escaped as a result of a puncture at a rim eyelet. The second tube was mounted on the same rim as the first, inflated to 60psi with no problem for 2 night's in a row of waterfront bikerides from 10:15pm-11:45pm. 48hrs after the second tube was installed it too was flat.
A small chunk of clear coloured glass cut the thickest part of the slick tires tread, passed by the wire bead and poked a tiny hole in the tube.
Bottom Line: 2 tubes dead like 2 flys in 2 days($23/CAN wasted).

Purchased At:   Bay Cycle Sports

Similar Products Used:   IRC Torque at $4.40/CAN, Lambert Select SelfSealing $9.00, Bontrager SupLight/Narrow $10.00/CAN.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk/stock - tires changed for slicks.

Submitted by Clydesdale Dave Black a Racer from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2003

Strengths:    Super light weight. Deceptively strong for their thinness. Come with a very cool rimstrip. Light and easily fits in a back or pocket. Half the size of a normal tube when folded up. Maxxis generally rocks.

Weaknesses:    Pinch flat at real low pressures. Not very thorn resistant. $8.00 is expensive. Maxxis should have a tire club for volume purchasers of their products. They leach air over a few days that can't be seen under water but you should always check your pressure before each ride so this doesn't really matter to me.

Bottom Line:
Combined with Kenda Klimax Lites, the entire tire+tube comes in at 435g...amazing! Now here's the kicker....I'm a heavy 210 lb rider riding this setup and I only pinch flatted once on a granite rock becuase I was riding my front at about 35 lbs...which is too low for that tire to begin with..when I've kept them at 55 on the rear and 45 on the front, I have had no problems. Lately, I've swapped them with normal tubes and tires for trail riding and will onl put them on for races though I have developed a certain degree of trust as long as the pressure is high enough. What's really nice is that they are nice to carry as spares because they are so light and compact.

Favorite Trail:   Tanasi

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis Ultralight, Pyramid Standard Butyl

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer-X, Chris King everything, Mavic 517, Thomson stem and post.

Submitted by Hank Jien a Cross Country Rider from Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Strengths:    -ultralight

Weaknesses:    quality control????????(maybe it was one 1 out of 1 million

Bottom Line:
3 weeks after I got my bike, inside the tube that was close to the schradder valve got ripped. I'm 100% sure that it wasn't some kind of pinch flat. If you take ure tubes off you can see that the schradder valve sits on a bit of rubber and the rubber connects to the tube. It was the part that the rubber was connected to the tube. This side was facing the rim and I have rim tape in there. I was a bit disappointed but hey the best company can still make a mistake. Maybe it was 1 out of 1 million Maxxis flyweight tubes.

My front one is still fine. This is my first one and I recommend this to real weight weenies and probably not freeriders because this tube is very thin. It is quite expensive though. Regular schradder valve tube like the Cheng-Shing(Cheng-Shing is MAXXIS)2 USD in Canada at MEC and I think the flyweight is somewhere around 10 bucks USD. It's quite a difference.

Favorite Trail:   South Surrey Atheletic Park

Purchased At:   (came with bike)

Similar Products Used:   IRC torque tubes, Maxxis regular tubes, Kenda

Bike Setup:   Bronco Warrior 3.1 MT-306(broncobikec.com),SID Race, Truvativ Firex SL ISIS, WTB Speedmaster laced onto Novatec cartridge hubs, Sram X.9 drivetrain, Tektro MT 11

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from CO

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2003

Strengths:    Light Weight

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
I've taken these tubes to some x-coutry trails and some downhilling on Keystone and Breckenridge slopes. They've worked great. In combo with new Z-max tires picking up speed has improved, so has the handling, etc. On my latest outing I was plumetting downhill with my rear tire pressure just a little too low (apparently) I went over some rocky stuff and felt my rear tire deflate rapidly, I started braking and the rear just went from under me. Luckily I managed to come to a sideways sliding stop without much harm to myself, however, the tube was swiss cheese. It developed a gazillion pinch flats in my braking manouver with a completely flat tire. I didn't have enough patches to even begin gluing it up. The front, however, is still going strong. My guess is, if you keep the tire pressure high enough, and/or keep a spare tube with you, they should be great. You might also want to opt for a sligly heavier (15 or so grams) and stronger as well as 50% cheaper ultralight maxxis tube. That's what I'm gonna do.

Favorite Trail:   Walker Ranch (loop)

Similar Products Used:   all sorts of tubes

Bike Setup:   Old Haro A2 hardtail frame with everything other oem component replaced with you guys say is the best

Submitted by Fuji Man a Racer from Grand Rapids, MI USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Strengths:    The lightest tube you can get. For most race courses they are great. I have had them on my race bikes for more than 2 years and have had just one flat. Each one comes with a rim strip.

Weaknesses:    Not very thorn proof. Thin(light).

Bottom Line:
I will keep getting my tubes from maxxis. They are still the best racing tube out there. Performance tubes pinch flat easier and I have had terrible luck with those stupid green and purple latex ones.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Custer

Purchased At:   Maxxis.com

Similar Products Used:   Performance lunar light, latex tubes.

Bike Setup:   17lb full rigid w/ ti fork.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Tucson

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Strengths:    light, make great rubber bands when sliced

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
Developed seam leak after 4 hours of mellow riding. Boo! Hiss! Expect better QA from an $8 tube. I gave a bonus chili in the final rating only because 1 out of 2 tubes is still going.

Similar Products Used:   various

Bike Setup:   fs

Submitted by Mike DeMicco a Cross Country Rider from Antioch, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Developed many little holes in the tube over a year's use. There were so many holes that it was not patchable. I inflated the tube and dunked under water to observe. I'd like to try the same with a new tube. Perhaps the wall thickness is so thin, that when stretched, it leaks. I've never seen a tube that acted like this before (i.e., with pinholes all over the tube).

Bottom Line:
I don't think these tubes are durable enough. It's better to buy a tube that is just a bit heavier (and cheaper too).

Favorite Trail:   Ridge Trail

Purchased At:   Maxxis

Similar Products Used:   Other lightweight tubes from other brands - though not so light as this one.

Submitted by dynamicfigure a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Strengths:    Super light, decreases rotational weight, cool cap color

Weaknesses:    thin, you may not like the cap color...

Bottom Line:
They say rotational weight is the key to making a difference in your riding and these things rock for reducing that weight. I paired them up with a light weight tire (lost about 1/2lb on each tire) and my bike litteraly jumped out from under me on my first ride. It is truly amazing how much better it accelerated and how agile it felt. Now I have ridden on them about 6 months and still love them. I have had 3 flats (one glass, one thorn, and one holy smokes blowout when I nailed a curb near top speed). I still love them, and with a thin lightweight tire being the only thing between me and the tubes I have been impressed by how tough they have been on the trail. I don't do extream stuff though, it is all X-country, and bopping around town for those uses though they have proved reliable and a great weight savings.

Favorite Trail:   Marshal Dips