Hutchinson Green Downhill tube Tube

4.71/5 (14 Reviews)

Green Downhill tube

Submitted by Johnny a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2006

Strengths:    Very strong tubes. I've been riding these tubes hard for 2 years and no flats yet. Simply amazing! Definitely a must have.

Weaknesses:    Pricy but well worth the money.

Bottom Line:
Strong tubes that will last for the long run. Definitely spend a little more and get these. I got mine at Amazon.com and I think they're still selling it. http://www.amazon.com/Hutchinson-Green-MTB-Tube-1-75/dp/B000AI90T4/sr=8-6/qid=1159067978/ref=sr_1_6/102-5065175-6732118?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Regular bike tubes

Submitted by Adam a Downhiller from Henderson, Nevada

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2005

Strengths:    If you are a DH/Freerider, do your homework, these tubes are some of the lightest of their kind! Best tubes on the market, period. Well worth a couple extra bucks. I use to flat about 2-3 times per month; I have flatted 2-3 times in the past 2 years on my natural greens. I would pay $30 a piece for these tubes if that's what it took.

Weaknesses:    Heavy for true x-county. Pay close attention to the word "true". For most riders, a slightly heavier tube will not ruin your day; in fact the fewer flats will make it more enjoyable.

Bottom Line:
I don't usually take the time to comment on products unless they really impress me. It is not too often a 10 dollar product can dramatically increase your riding enjoyment. Just try these tubes out, use them as specified and I am sure you will be as happy as I have been.

Favorite Trail:   Dark Hollow, Brianhead, UT

Purchased At:   Available through Quality, check with your local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   In 20+ years, truly everything. From Wal-mart to all the fancy brands.

Bike Setup:   Custom 04' Ellsworth Joker DH

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Somerset

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    durable

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
Less pinch/puncture flats. Saves money in the long run. A bit heavy, but so am I. The green caps are cool.

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   $5 standard tubes

Submitted by gmr2048 a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2005

Strengths:    still bombproof

Weaknesses:    weight, if that bothers you.

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to add an updated review. I still love these tubes.

I got my first flat in 3+ yeas on my Hutchenson Green Tubes. This says a lot coming from a 220-250lb guy riding a full rigid singlespeed. I punish my wheels/tires/tubes. In years past, I've hit a curb so hard I cracked a rim without pinching these tubes. On a ride last week, I had too little air in the rear tire and hit something. I managed to tear the sidewall of my tire. The tubes got only a pin-hole leak and I was able to limp back to the parking lot without totally flatting. Threw on a glueless patch, and I'm back in business. These things are golden. I can't put a dollar value on all the time I didn't spend fixing flats trail-side.

Purchased At:   i forget.

Similar Products Used:   tons of other tubes before these.

Bike Setup:   fisher aquila stripped to rigid singlespeed condition.

Submitted by gmr2048 a Weekend Warrior from va, usa

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2004

Strengths:    Bombproof. Bombproof. Bombproof.

Weaknesses:    Maybe weight, if you're one of "those" riders. (The weight weenie type, that is). Also, maybe price (they're $12 each). But I've saved a lot more than that in missed pinch flats since switching.

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'6" and anywhere between 225 and 250lbs depending on what I had for breakfast. I have hammered these tubes on rocks and roots without a pinch flat. Before these tubes, I pinched regularly. With these tubes, I have hit a rock so hard I bent and cracked my rear rim, but the tubes didn't pinch. I usually run them about 35psi. I will never run a different tube.

Purchased At:   cambribike? i forget

Similar Products Used:   Countless other inferior tubes.

Bike Setup:   Fisher Aquila converted to rigid single speed.

Submitted by roger a Weekend Warrior from bucks county, PA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2004

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    I bought these based on reviews and put them on my front and rear tires. The rear tube blew out after 40 miles of light riding and the front went sixty miles after that.

Bottom Line:
I'll stick with the no frills tubes I get from Wal-Mart. They last 10x longer for 1/5 the cost

Similar Products Used:   Cheap $2 tubes from Wal-Mart.

Submitted by Arne Mogstad a Downhiller from Bodø, Norway

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    STRONG!!!!!!!! NEWER punctured!

Weaknesses:    weight...but it actually dont matter when biking downhill!

Bottom Line:
a REALLY good tube! This tube is really good for everyone who wants a STRONG tube! It is the strongest i have ever used! BUT it is not a XC tube...to heavy, unnless you are riding HARD and really need a strong tube, but you will destroy your bike before you punkture this one, and is strong enough and well fit!

Similar Products Used:   a LOT of tubes

Submitted by Andrew Klauser a Cross Country Rider from Feldafing

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Strengths:    Undestructable

Weaknesses:    somewhat heavy (390g)

Bottom Line:
Follow up, see below. Yupp, these endure. Safety first, highly recommended. One of the some top products in the world of mtb (others being Magura rim brakes, Marzocchi Atom 80 forks, Syntace stems and bars, ATAC pedals). Are on the heavy side, though. I don't notice this as a drawback, since rolling resistance seem to be latex typically low.

Purchased At:   Hibike

Similar Products Used:   Conti Latex, Panaracer Greenlights, Schwalbe (produced a big bubble the first time I wanted to install them; I nearly fell down backwards with laughter)

Bike Setup:   Three hardtails

Submitted by Kelton Ericson a Downhiller from Phoenix, Arizona

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, Haven't gone flat yet

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Definatly pick a few up and try them out they work great. Of course they look pimp.

Favorite Trail:   Old expert race trail at Sunrise

Purchased At:   Slippery Pig Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis DH tube and Salsa

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky 9

Submitted by Andrew Klauser a Cross Country Rider from Feldafing

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Strengths:    Solid

Weaknesses:    none for my purpose

Bottom Line:
Lately, a Conti Latex ceated me and burst suddenly while I was going down a small hill at, thank God, moderate speed. The front wheel was going ffftt, a thenth of a second I did the same. Some nasty flesh wounds were the result. Choosing safety now, I put in those green Hutchinson Downhill tubes, which resemble more a fire hose the a tube. To my great surprise, these did not increase rolling resistance to any degree. So, if you don't want to win races on end and are forced to count grams, put these inside, even for xc. Outstanding.

Purchased At:   hibike