Hutchinson Green Anti-Snake Bite Tube

3.06/5 (16 Reviews)

Hutchinson Green Anti-Snake Bite

Submitted by Hobby William from SLC

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2003

Strengths:    Supple downhill ride. Snakebite resistant. Natural rubber

Weaknesses:    Valve stem breaks off tube after limited use. Heavy

Bottom Line:
I bought the tires to help out with my snake bites on the rear rim. They seemed to perform to their claim to resistance. And the ride did have a better feel on hardpack smooth trails. Though after lest than 50 miles use the valve base separated from the tube body. The valve stem and the tire are different types of rubber and the weld between the two was insufficient. I returned the tube to Pricepoint and they sent a replacement free of charge but the latter tube had the exact same performance as the former. Their cost is above that of disposable tubes, so I won't more. I owned the tubes two years ago; maybe Hutchinson has adddress the design flaw.

Favorite Trail:   Technical and narrow

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Standard prest tubes

Bike Setup:   Trek 920, Judy XC, Richey Race Stem, Truvanti Team crank, XT front derailer, LX Rear derailer, Bontrager Clydesdale rims, XT BB, Easton carbon handlebar, Sefas grips, Shimano 959 pedals

Submitted by marco alberio a Weekend Warrior from Italy

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2003

Strengths:    . strength

Weaknesses:    . weight

Bottom Line:
these tubes are very strength, only one flat but due a very big pin. But the better part is that the tube loss air slowly, I can run for 30 Kilometers and I discover the pin 3 days later, in the same tour my friend's bike flat 3 times !!! I mounted 6 of them on 3 different bikes and in one case only I found little leaks from the valve. I screwed the valve better and the problem disappears.

Purchased At:   bike store

Bike Setup:   custom Trek VRX 300

Submitted by Clement a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    doesn't keep air for long ...
heavy ; IS NOT ANTI SNAKE BITE !

Bottom Line:
I thought buying these tubes would help me steer away from snakebites but alas ... not only do they leak air like crazy (I had to inflate twice on a 2 hour ride)but at the first little jump over an obstacle, they snakebited on me ... very disapointed : I'll go back to standard black rubber from now on

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Big Sur

Submitted by erik a Cross Country Rider from new yourk usa

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    no flats

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
I forgot what flat tires were like for the past year, I just powered over everything until i got new tires last week (python airlite)and tried the notubes.com tubeless system and got 3 flats within miles. Lightweight tube that I was carrying just in case flatted too, pinch flat. Then I put my old green tubes back in, new panaracer flataways too, they flatted too - I think it was from a bad rim strip or just karma. No problems with the stem. I'm ordering some new green tubes, after all they lasted a whole year of hard trail riding with rock piles etc.(and i felt the back rim against a rock a few times every ride) and they had 3 patches on them before this week including the only flat i remember which was in a crash which dented my new rim, my helmet, my elbow and my hip. Not having flats is worth carrying a couple hundred extra grams in your tires, I think. If you like low tire pressure and you're at all careless about what you ride over, this is worth it. I think the tubes get more credit for no pinch flats than the flataways, but the combination worked.

Purchased At:   ?

Similar Products Used:   ordinary tubes

Bike Setup:   hutchinson python gold tires with panaracer flataway kevlar felt anti flat thingys

Submitted by Nick from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Very very pinch-resistant.. I was running a tioga dh 2.3 rear tire on a tioga dh rim at 15 PSI just to see what happened, and after 2 hours of urban trials I hadn't pinched it yet.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than some

Bottom Line:
I've used many, many different types of tubes, and these rank among my favorites. They just don't seem to pinch. I haven't experienced the valve stem problems that other people had so much trouble with. I'd highly recommend them for trials riders who like low PSI.

Similar Products Used:   So many

Bike Setup:   Trials

Submitted by B Coley a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Within the first half mile (on road), on my way to the trail, the valve stem blew out. My tire went completely flat with 3 seconds. May have ruined the brand new Hutchinson Python Gold on the front (its sidewall is torn).

Bottom Line:
Heed the advice below- the valve stem will more than likely tear on you. You will not be able to patch this mishap on the trail.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   bike shop tires

Bike Setup:   Yeti PROFRO/XTR

Submitted by Scott Frazier a Cross Country Rider from Alpine, UT

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Strengths:    Prevents snakebite

Weaknesses:    Heavy
Leaks a bit

Bottom Line:
I like to run my tires at about 35#, and ride hard on rocky terrain, so snake bites on rear tire are a problem. Someday I'd like to try a tubeless tire, but until then this tube is the best anti-snake bite solution I've found. I use this tube together with the Continental Vertical Pro 2.3 tire which lets me run at low pressure without snake bite. I use a light weight tube on the front. My son uses an anti-snake bite tire. This also works well, but really restricts your tire choice.

Favorite Trail:   Little Creek Mesa, UT

Purchased At:   from Hutchinson

Similar Products Used:   Anti-snake bite tire, mainly specialized tubes

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Ookie Padookie a Racer from Vermunt

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Strengths:    does what it's supposed to (less pinch flats, etc.)

Weaknesses:    for its intended purpose there are none

Bottom Line:
These are good tubes. There's no use whining about the extra weight, because the company doesn't try to push them as a SL racing thing or whatever. I've never had any of these whacked-out valve problems that others have mentioned, and I've only had one pinch flat with them (on a VERY rocky trail with lightweight conti semi-slicks)

Favorite Trail:   yes

Purchased At:   Climb High

Similar Products Used:   other tubes... I dunno!?

Bike Setup:   Voodoo w/Velocity rims, huch. tires/panaracer crap firexc/conti

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2000

Strengths:    The tube is on the heavy side but it feels bulletproof

Weaknesses:    the valve is not securely attached to the tube

Bottom Line:
On the second downhill run at the local ski slope my front tire went flat. I had just installed them that morning and assumed that I had a pinch flat. After pulling the tire we saw that the valve had seperated fromthe tube! I'm back on the cheapo tires and have not had a problem.
Bottom line...sae your money!

Favorite Trail:   technical and downhill

Similar Products Used:   cheapo tubes

Bike Setup:   99 Jamis Dakar Team, Python air light tires.

Submitted by Kim Steingass a Racer from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2000

Strengths:    No pinch flats

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
sure they're heavy but what more do you want from a tire that never pinch flats. i have never had a valve stem come out. never. mabey everyone is just using the wrong tubes......

Favorite Trail:   anything technical

Similar Products Used:   everything

Bike Setup:   python gold k/alligator gold k w/ green tubes

Submitted by Savvas Anastassiou a Racer from Nicosia, Cyprus

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2000

Strengths:    It is more resistant on pinches

Weaknesses:    Everything else

Bottom Line:
This tube sucks. I put a pair of them the day before a race and both of them had to be changed before or during the race. The presta (italian)valve of the front one came off during the pre-race heat-up and it only had 40 psi in it.
The rear one exploded after 10 km after hitting a little rock that normally wouldn't bother me. It had inside 45 psi so it wasn't because it was too inflatted. When changing it I noticed that the weld(?) of the tyre had been torn.
The only reason they are getting the second and half chili is because of their pinch resistance: When I checked the tyres before installing a new tube I found goatheads stuck on the tyre that would flat out other tubes but this can be solved by installing tyre-seal liquid inside the tubes or by puting puncture stop rubbers between the tyre and the tube (this both solutions add a lot of weight (about 200 grms) but it's worth it especially if you are riding in conditions similar to Cyprus where you average 1-2 punctures for every ride.

Favorite Trail:   Voroklini

Similar Products Used:   Michelin, Hutchinson, chen sin (even this is better) all of them made of sinthetic rubber(butyl)

Bike Setup:   Michelin Wildgripper(rear),Hutchinson On The Rocks front

Submitted by unknown a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2000

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Valve stems pull out.

Bottom Line:
About 7 miles into first ride, valve stem pulled out on rear.

Bike Setup:   K2 Flyin' Monkey

Submitted by D.A. Dugan a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2000

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Valve stem rips out. After that all other qaualities dissappear.

Bottom Line:
On my first ride the front valve ripped off and I thought maybe I ran the pressure too low so I exchanged it for another. Next ride same thing on the rear. Took both of them back and went with plain old Schwinn tubes (6 rides since and no problems).

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long