Home | Reviews | Tube | Delta

2.46/5 (13 Reviews)

Delta Latex Tubes

Submitted by Pete Vavaroutsos a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    After 3 weeks these tubes wouldn't even hold air long enough for one ride.

Bottom Line:
I thought I would give these latex tubes a try. Yes, they are expensive, but I thought if they resist flats better, are lighter, and have less rolling resistance, maybe they are worth it. What a mistake. After 3 weeks of riding the rear tube wouldn't hold air. I thought maybe it was just a bad tube. One week later, the same thing with the front tube. It is also difficult to locate a flat on these tubes as it's hard to put much pressure in them if they are not inside the tire. A few pounds of pressure and a section will pop and expand like a balloon. Save your money and buy some good butyl tubes. Not even worthy on one chili.

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   Many.

Submitted by Flying Pig a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight
Easy to patch with normal patches

Weaknesses:    Don't hold air real long
Hard to find small leaks to patch
Price

Bottom Line:
These tubes used to separate at the seams. I complained to Delta, and they sent me new tubes. Now they are seamless. The biggest problem is now solved. They are very light and easy to patch (anyone who can't patch these can't patch anything). I check the air in my tires before every ride, so I don't mind if a little bleeds off over several days. They are way better (and lighter) than Air-Bs which have a problem of spontaneous explosion. It may be true that they won't last 3 years, but who keeps a tube that long anyway?

Similar Products Used:   Torelli, butyls, Air-B

Submitted by BobC a weekend warrior from Ri

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

These tubes are really prone to blow. I got them thru Nashbar and now wonder they were on a blow out price. They leaked near the stem so I had to patch there. Then I had to patch at other locations because they just blew out. Nothing inside I could find and there was a lot of powder in it. I got desperate enough to put some powder inside the tubes to no avail.Beginning of this summer, I patch both front and rear tubes and took it for one ride. I checked the rim tape and one blowout was my fault I acknowledge but each as suffered 3/4 blowouts aready. Oh.. its winter now.. went mtn biking most of the summer. And the rear one has another leak again. Geez. Something about quality control is needed. And I still have one 'new' one in the bag. Geez.

Submitted by Kenny a cross-country rider from Sacramento CA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've been using Delta latex tubes on my road bikes for 10 years and love the way they ride. Have not had any problems with rotting, broken valve stems, or patching tubes, though sometimes finding a slow leak can be tough. You also have to be sure any tire cuts that penetrate the casing are patched from the inside, as the latex is so slippery that it will seek these cuts and cause slow leaks. I tried some Torelli latex tubes, but had 2 leaks by the valve stem within a few weeks, so I switched back. I tried running the Deltas on my MTB commuter, but was flatting out - I think the tubes are so slippery, they were getting pinched by Mr. Tuffy.

Submitted by Tim a cross-country rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: June 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Total waste of money! I've had brand new tubes split at the value/tube interface. And yes, yes, as a other reviewer noticed, they ROT. I took a year old tube out to patch and the tube literally fell apart in my hands. And you need to add air every couple of days. I've switched to Torelli tubes. Just as light with no problems. 0 chilis.

Submitted by Grand Pooh Bear a cross-country rider from R.I. USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

These tubes are terrible. Light, yes. Durable, not on your life. Flats up the wazoo. Puncture way too easy, suceptible to pinch flats, and the latex rots, so if you store your bike with them in for an extended period, not only will your tires have flatted, but you may be surprised to find your tube in pieces. Another huge inconvenience; they don't hold air worth a damn. You'll have to pump up every few days. Their only saving grace is that I never had problems getting the many patches I put on them to stick, as others I know have. Latex: great for condoms, bad for tubes.

Submitted by pikabike a cross-country rider from CO

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

(Why are there two sections for reviews of the same product?)I've been using these tubes for 4 years now and find them to provide a ride springiness that butyls don't equal.Contrary to what someone told me, I've patched them with regular patches. These have held up as well as on regular tubes.One thing I have noticed is that the valves may not be as sturdy. Two valves failed, one in which the core broke and another in which it seemed to stick, thus letting out air.Consider me sold on latex tubes. They actually make a difference in the ride, unlike exotic bolts and such.

Submitted by Greg Turner a cross-country rider from London

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

Latex inner tubes have cost me dear. I used these and another brand from a very well known name in the industry and both sets have continuously flatted on me, usually during very high speed decents! They have this nasty habbit of pinch flatting even when you don't compress the tyre. One minute your screaming down hill at 50mph, the next, the air in your tyres decides to peroform and emergency evacuation. I have even blown these tubes apart while riding on the road! The consequences of this for me was a nasty stack and ruined front wheel. If you're running ultra-expensive wheel sets like the Crossmax, for god sake do your self a favour and don't use latex!
I'm even worried about using condoms now!

Submitted by pika a cross-country rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've been using these for at least 3 years now and find them to provide a ride springiness that butyls don't equal.Contrary to what someone told me, I've patched them with regular patches. These have held up as well as on regular tubes.One thing I have noticed is that the valves may not be as sturdy. Two valves failed, one in which the core broke and another in which it seemed to stick, thus letting out air.Consider me sold on latex tubes. They actually make a difference in the ride, unlike exotic bolts and such.

Submitted by phil a racer from Ringwood, nj

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1997

Bottom Line:

This tube sucks I had the seem that holds the two ends together form holes in it and caost me the race. I would give it zero chilis but not offered.

Submitted by AgentOrangE a cross-country rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: September 27, 1997

Bottom Line:

these are the most evil tubes made!! i got a set from my lbs.. installed them and by the next morning they were bolth COMPLETELY flat this wasn't just a loss of a little pressure, it was a total loss of pressure.. so, i checked them and bolth had bad seams.. i showed the guy at my lbs them and he said they were defects, so he would replace them, he only had one latex one left so he gave me that one and two regular tubes..a fair deal... well the next morning afer installing the latex one, it was flat..these tubes SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by M.R. a cross-country rider from Portland, Oregon USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

I Am Currently Using Air-B Laytex Tubes In My Road Bike And Have NO Complaints,
Execpt The Price. ($19.00!?!) They Are Not As Light As Greenlite Tubes But Oh Well,
I Still Give Them 5 Stars. (But 3 Stars For The Price)

Submitted by Francis a Norba racer from Campbell, CA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 1996

Bottom Line:

To get my bike to 21 lbs., I had to explore avenue, and latex tubes can
save almost a half pound from the bike so I had to check it out.

Aside from the weight, these tubes seem to be more supple, thus giving
a more comfortable ride at the same tire pressure.
One big downside is that these tubes always leak air (about a pound a day).
So anyone considering this should own a floor pump. These tubes also need
be sprinkled with the supplied talc to keep them dry, otherwise they could
rot. They're patchable too with normal patches or with one of them sticker
patches.

Out of 4 tubes that I owned, one of them just blew up with a 1 cm. hole!

Latex tubes for 26"

Anybody know of a source for latex tubes? Want to run Conti Race King 2.2 in the SuperSonic version but I know from experience they are nearly impossible to seal with Stans - so thinking latex tubes will be the next best 'supple' ride. The RaceKing RaceSport (somewhat tubless ready) is smaller and ... Read More »

29ER TUBULAR tires and latex tubes

With the introduction of 29er tubies by GEAX and FMB or whom ever else, where are they sourcing thier latex inner tubes? I would love to get my hands on some of them, but from where?Read More »

Latex Tubes

Pros seem to be lightweight and less punctures. Cons seem to be air loss and with the Michelins, the valve stem is not threaded (so it can twist and rip). Thoughts?Read More »

Latex inner tubes?

Hi, I still have tires with tubes. (boo-hiss) I hope to go tubeless next year. For local rides we have goat head thorns so I use slime tubes and my co-riders with tubeless wheels have to use lots of stans sealant. I don't pinch flat often and run about 32-35 psi in my front tire (2.4 mutano ... Read More »

Latex Tubes

What ever happened to latex inner tubes? I bought a pair of these several years ago and got excellent service from them. They were lighter than the butyl tubes of the day and nearly bullet proof as far as punctures were concerned. Yeh, the bled air faster than butyl but I still find myself adding ... Read More »