Home | Reviews | Tube | CST

3.28/5 (32 Reviews)

Cheng Shin Tyre Company Cheng Shin 26x2.0 tubes

Submitted by DBMMTB a Cross Country Rider from LI

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2010

Weaknesses:    not durable

Bottom Line:
Tube is weak to be nice. Came stock with my Santa Cruz Heckler. Rode it one time in a park I ride all the time and got a flat. Was in the same area with my other bike a over 100 times and never got a flat. Very disappointing and definitely switching. I will patch the one I have and use it as a spare on rides but thats it.

Submitted by wilson creekside a Weekend Warrior from Lincolnton, Nc

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2010

Weaknesses:    Came stock on Santa Cruz superlight. I am new to MTB, have 6 punctures so far in the first 2 weeks of riding. Is this normal?

Bottom Line:
It must be me?? I am repairing a flat after every ride.

Favorite Trail:   pisgah

Submitted by Kev a Cross Country Rider from Portsmouth England

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2007

Strengths:    Covered approx 1900 miles with these tubes with only one puncture.

Weaknesses:    Dont know of any

Bottom Line:
Would have no problem with buying a new Cheng shin tube based on my experience and the fact it is good value for money.
Would recommend these tubes to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Solent breeze

Purchased At:   Came fitted to Merida bike

Similar Products Used:   Have used Specialized tubes on other bike with the same reliability.

Bike Setup:   Standard Merida Matts sport 100 set up.

Submitted by Sharambra Patel from Dallas

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    tubes are tubes arnt thay

Weaknesses:    these ones pop on you

Bottom Line:
bike ride if tube not pop, bike dont ride if tube pop. mite try this tubless thing just out, look sik

Submitted by MaxTO a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Strengths:    Does the job...as long as it's not a lemon

Weaknesses:    Seems weak (broke off valve), quality issues (some work, others leak)

Bottom Line:
These came stock on my new bike. I decided to pick up a spare one while at MEC. Good thing that I picked up a Continental tube as well. When I replaced the tube it wouldn't hold air. I mounted it again, same results. I got fed up and put in a tube from a different manufacturer. The other one is still holding up, so my guess is that there are quality/consistency issues.

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Continental

Bike Setup:   '07 Giant Boulder SE

Submitted by Jorgex a Weekend Warrior from Almada, Portugal

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2006

Bottom Line:
It does the job for tires 1.75 to 2.1, nothing more than XC.

Similar Products Used:   Many Ritchey butyl tubes, Continental anti-snakebites(super!!), Maxxis fr/dh tubes, Nokian 2.1-3.0 tubes, Michelin c4(i guess?)...

Bike Setup:   Giant escaper'92 (hardtail), Manitou Axel 100mm(oem),Hope M4 disc brake, x-lite, Roox, Time pedals, Avid Flak Jacket, Rohloff chain, Hope, DT, SRAM gripshifts, Nokian blue tires, Primal jersey...

Submitted by Ryan from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2006

Strengths:    Great for 2 rides.

Weaknesses:    -funky asian name already makes me wonder
-suspicions were correct... they just started leaking air for no reason after sittin in my garage for a month and will always lose presure when tryin to ride it out.

Bottom Line:
Sucks, spend a little more for a better tube and you'll save urself money.

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Axiom Tubes, Continental MTB26

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2005

Strengths:    Inexpensive & puncture resistance.

Weaknesses:    It's only a matter of time before the stem separates from the tube.

Bottom Line:
I’ve stuck with these tubes for 2 years and used spinskins duro underneath them. Can’t remember ever getting a flat here in AZ (unbelievable). The only complaint is that every tube broke off at the stem on the average of 3 to 4 months of use. 90% of the stems separated for the tube while the bike was sitting. The last time I used them I had both tubes break off at the stem on a ride and only had one spare, I was lucky that I was only riding the local canals and hitch a ride in a truck. That was the end of this tube for me, switched back to the normal tubes along with the flats but at least I know that I can patch the tube and make it home.

Purchased At:   Local bike store

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Mrazek FS

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    Inexpensive, thick, strong puncture resistance.

Weaknesses:    Weight wise a little heavy, but I'd rather have stronger puncture resistance then multi flat tubes.

Bottom Line:
These tubes are inexpensive and readily available at discount stores. Made of a good grade of butyl rubber, a little heavy, strong and great against punctures.
Bottom Line: On lesser expensive bikes they're good to have and if you suffer from multi flats it won't break your wallet.

Purchased At:   Came with/on bicycles.

Similar Products Used:   Kenda, Norco, IRC, Bontrager, Maxxis, Lambert, Panaracer.

Bike Setup:   1994 Raleigh Matterhorn/stock.
1996 GT Ricochet/stock - tires changed for slicks.

Submitted by Bob from Lawrenceville

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    lasted for 6 months.

Weaknesses:    stem seperated from tube while pumping tire. I have read several other reviews of this same issue. Tube is poorly made at stem area.

Bottom Line:
Tube should have lasted longer, never seen a tube pull apart at the stem like this.. I ride 2 different bikes 2/week so I've been through a few tubes.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB

Bike Setup:   Fisher Paragon 29"

Submitted by Hank Jien a Weekend Warrior from Surrey, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2003

Strengths:    durable
smooth suface for touching
clean for touching too
not expensive
lightweight

Bottom Line:
Cheng-Shin is actually the same manufacture as Maxxis. In Taiwan we call it Cheng Shin but the ones that get exported are called Maxxis. So it's made by the same manufacture.

These tubes are really strong and durable. I think that how often your tube gets pinched has something to do with the tires, so don't blame them when it gets pinched. I think these are good for most of the riders except if your're really rough like a downhiller. I think these are the best tires after all these years of experience. They are really cheap compared to regular tubes.

Favorite Trail:   South Surrey Atheletic Park

Purchased At:   Mount Equip Co-op

Similar Products Used:   Kenda tubes, Axiom(Norco)

Bike Setup:   carbon frame, XT drivetrain, Truvativ Firex ISIS cranks, ISIS bb, Titec Hellbent XC handlebar, IKE stem, Formula Cartridge Hubs laced onto Alex G2000

Submitted by Big Dave a Cross Country Rider from Amherst MA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Strengths:    They never gave me any trouble for about 550 miles of rough trail riding. Until...

Weaknesses:    The valve stem separated from the tube. It actually didn't happen while I was riding. It happened sometime overnight and in the morning half the stem had broken from the tube.

Bottom Line:
Well I usually run 40psi in my tire which dosen't seem too unusual so I guess i got a bad tube. They came with my bike so I'm not going to complain too much but I would hope that a tube dosen't break on it's own. Oh well I guess you take a gamble with these tires they either hold up or they don't. I'll give it two chilis for overall because they did hold up for a year before this happened. Three for value because they came with the bike. By the way i have the 26*1.50 models.

Favorite Trail:   Robert Frost

Bike Setup:   Fisher Paragon

Submitted by Hud from Ft. Worth, Tx

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap (price).

Weaknesses:    Cheap (stems).

Bottom Line:
The price doesn't make up for the tendency of these tube's stems to break off. Reading other reviews, this seems to be a common problem. After about 500 miles of riding, you better replace these tubes; otherwise, you are going to find yourself out on the trail due to a flat caused by the &@#$ stem. I expect to get flats due to thorns, but not due to failure of the product.

Purchased At:   stock on bike