Continental Hermetic S Tube

Continental Hermetic S

Submitted by fcaw11 a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, seamless tubes, Low maintenance, takes big hits no problem

Weaknesses:    Weight, 1.6-2.125, 208grams w/o cap&nut

Bottom Line:
Not for weight weenies. Great choice for those who want ride, instead of working on their bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Chilao

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn butyl, Cheng Shin Super Thin, Greenlite latex

Bike Setup:   80mm travel FS XC

Submitted by Ruthie a Weekend Warrior from Boston

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Strengths:    I took the advice of the last guy on this list and went to bikeworld.com to buy tubes. They sent me 8 normal Conti tubes, not the Hermetic S pictured on the site.

Bottom Line:
The only good thing about Bikeworld.com is that they have a picture of the box so at least you can know what you're looking for.

Purchased At:   DO NOT buy from bikeworld.com

Submitted by Ruth a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    GREAT FOR MESSENGERS. Strong/thick: no sudden blowouts; reinforced valve base; very even: reduces risk of pinching/crimping during fast installation; replaceable valve

Weaknesses:    Hard to find; Not light; once the seal on my replaceable valve weakened and I had a slow leak for months before finally replacing the tube (gave it an extra 20/30 psi every 2 or 3 days)

Bottom Line:
I used these tubes as a messenger and LOVE them. After four or five flats caused by tube failure alone, I started looking for a better tube. These work. The reinforced valve base is important for fixing flats on the road unless you have a portable pump with a hose, because the friction caused by straight pumps can wear through a normal tube's valve base. The smooth, even tube is easy to install on the fly-- no crimps, no pinches, done in 5 minutes. The thick tube walls help in the event of a major puncture, because the tube doesn't explode on impact. I've only gotten 3 flats with these tubes, but each time I've been able to ride a full block to get out of whatever bad traffic situation I was in when the flat occurred. (I use 25-35mm tubes in 23mm tires-- this quality might be less noticeable in 35mm tires.) Put these tubes with Kevlar belts and good tires and the only time you'll have to change a tire is in your own shop when the tires bald out. I put the old tube in the new tire and keep on riding.

Favorite Trail:   alleys

Purchased At:   Broadway, Camb., MA- they don't sell them anymore

Similar Products Used:   Every kind of $5 tube there ever was.

Bike Setup:   various ghetto road/fixed, slick tires.

Submitted by Crash a Cross-Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 1999

Strengths:
Durable, durable, durable, durable.

Weaknesses:
Sometimes hard to find, and not the lightest in the world. If weight is not an issue Connies are great.

Bottom Line:
I've run Connies in both my road and mountain bikes for more than five years and I can't say enough about their durability. I've had a total of five flats on two bikes in five years. And three of those flats occured when I ran Vittoria tires and some damn no-name or Trek-branded tube. The only Connie flats I've ever had were from me being the dullest tool in the shed and not running enough pressure and getting a pinch flat and also hitting some major, major glass during rain.

Tsali/Bull Mtn. Pigeon Mtn.

more than 3 years