Home | Reviews | Tube | Avenir

3.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Avenir T.R. (Thorn Resistant) tube

Submitted by Robert Fraczkiewicz

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Valve separates from rubber in brand new tubes

Bottom Line:
I live in the high desert area filled with thorn bushes, hence I bought this piece of garbage to prevent punctures. I replaced both Kenda tubes that came originally with my new bike. On the very second bike ride, many miles away from home and out of the blue, my rear wheel has suddenly lost all the air - just psssfft! and total flat in 2-3 seconds. I had a very long walk pushing the bike. It turned out, the valve just separated from the rubber - in the brand new tube!! At that time I thought of it as of a unique incident and exchanged the tube in store.
Today, on my fifth ride and yes, far away from home and all of a sudden, the front wheel went flat in 2-3 seconds. Same problem - separated valve. Now, this is no accident, this "product" is worthless! I am so pissed off that I am taking my time to write this review to warn others. Stay away from Avenir!

Submitted by gram a Cross Country Rider from slc utah

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2009

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    weight and didnt stop a single thorn

Bottom Line:
these sucked. i bought four tubes in one weekend, i barely made it arround the block before they were filled with thorns and flat. i found that if you combine some kevlar tire lininer with some thorn resistant tube and some slime you have the best chance but nothing is thorn proof. thats bullshhit

Favorite Trail:   moab

Bike Setup:   hardtail, 120mill fork

Submitted by flydog a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Price and durability

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
I was getting 2-3 flats a week from those pesky Arizona goat thorns before mounting these tubes. Since then I have ridden over 200 miles on and off road without a single flat. The only downside is they weigh twice as much as regular tubes, but I am saving $10-$15 a week on tubes.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Forte

Bike Setup:   Motobecane 400HT

Submitted by Drew a Weekend Warrior from Nyc

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
Stronger than Steel ... haha

Weaknesses:
Weight

Bottom Line:
these tubes rule ... these tubes have held up against everything I've thrown at it ... i pump up my tires with alot of psi ... for road conditions. since nyc doesn't have as many trails as i like ... anyhow... no flat... and lots of hard riding ... when i do goto trails... i've done 8 foot drops... no prob i still have my stock presta tube in front... but my rear is this one... i paid 10 bucks for mine... got alittle ripped? ... yep ... mine was made by kenda... but mine, avenir, and chein sheng ... are the same... just different boxes... If you need good protection and willing to add alittle weight ... get these... will save you weight on extra tubes and patch kits ... makes my live easier... i don't need my toolkit all the time in case of flats ... ect that makes up for the difference... in the near future i might try out the maxxis maxxis... but i doubt those will last longer than the salsa's ... which lasted a total of 1 hour ...

6 months

Salsa simply crap tubes, ect

trek y3 '99 with manitou sx-r spins, all the good stuff

Submitted by Andy Threewitt a Cross-Country Rider from Mokena, Illinois

Date Reviewed: August 13, 1999

Strengths:
doesn't flat easily

Weaknesses:
none that i can think of

Bottom Line:
best tube I've ever used-extra weight is negligible-hit some barbed wire yesterday-no flat, (quite impressive)

anything within 2 hours

3 months

most basic MTB tubes

'99 Fisher Marlin

Submitted by jefftallica a Cross-Country Rider from tempe, az

Date Reviewed: May 22, 1999

Strengths:
(almost) never get a flat

Weaknesses:
heavy, more expensive than regualar tubes (though much cheaper than latex)

Bottom Line:
goathead thorns are a huge problem in arizona- therefor, the need for flat resistant tubes. specialized t.p. tubes don't work worth crap- i flatted several times on some of the smaller goathead thorns. slimed tubes haven't worked well for me, either, and spin skins are just flat out junk. avenir's tubes CAN be puntured by a type of extremely long thorn that drops off of a kind of tree (the name escapes me), but my occurences with this are rare. pinch flats are non-existent with avenir's tubes. the weight is annoying, but even more annoying is repairing flats. for now, this is the best product for preventing flats in my area.

corona loma

more than 3 years

specialized thorn proof
slimed tubes
spin skins

specialized rockhopper FS, rockshox indy, no front derailluer