Home | Reviews | Tube | Air-B

Air-B latex tube Tube

latex tube

Submitted by John O'Brien from London

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2007

Strengths:    LIGHT WEIGHT,DURABLE

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I've used the same air b in my rear wheel for years,i have a mitchelin latex tube in my front wheel.the mitchelin needs to be topped up every ride, the air b hold its air much better, but still needs regular checks.
My friends that ride ordinary tubes get punctures, i dont

Favorite Trail:   i love it all

Purchased At:   BIKE TRAX

Similar Products Used:   MITCHELIN

Bike Setup:   MARIN MOUNT VISION, XTR,HUGI 240 HUBS,ONLY USE THE LIGHTEST TIRES, AT THE MOMENT CONTI SPEEDKING SUPERSONIC.

Submitted by batman a Weekend Warrior from bat cave

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2006

Strengths:    It fits in my bat mobile

Weaknesses:    catwoman dosent like it

Bottom Line:
superman dosent have one hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Favorite Trail:   the joker is gay trail

Purchased At:   robins convenience store

Similar Products Used:   batmobile supermans undies

Bike Setup:   just like my batmobile orsm

Submitted by johhny crann a Cross Country Rider from tralsville

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2006

Strengths:    the tire air tastes relly good

Weaknesses:    they dont work after u run over nails

Bottom Line:
i dunno

Purchased At:   canaidian tire

Similar Products Used:   what?

Bike Setup:   mountaineer

Submitted by Danny East from Panama City Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2005

Strengths:    Last a long time, light weight.

Weaknesses:    Still leaks air faster than a rubber tube

Bottom Line:
I bought my first set of Air-B tubes when they first came out in the US in 1994 or '95. To keep my tire pressure at a steady 42 lbs, I just air up every week or so. They seem to lose about 2 pounds a week, but that's just a casual observation, no real hard numbers.

So yeah, I just changed out my front Air-B tube on my bike a few hours ago. I've changed my Air-B tubes over with me on 3 bikes now, and this is the first flat I've gotten on these tubes in more than 10 YEARS! That's a lot of cross country miles and not one single flat. I'm going to have to get another pair. Amazing.

Favorite Trail:   Levis Mounds

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 100

Submitted by J from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2005

Strengths:    Light and strong! For me, Air-B has been completely problem free for longer than any butyl tube. I've used them on both road and hardtail mountain bikes without any incident. I don't find they require special handling, either -- a light talc, then keep 'em pumped.

Weaknesses:    Latex tubes lose air slowly over time. If you don't keep them pumped, you will destroy them. Also, because latex is a thinner (but lighter and stronger) material than butyl, you have to be careful when mounting them. But Air-B is as good or better than any other latex tube!

Bottom Line:
Works great!

Similar Products Used:   Just about all of them!

Bike Setup:   Klein Pulse hardtail; Trek 2300; Trek 7600

Submitted by Lance Armstrong a Racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Reliable, light, great tube all-in-all.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
A professionals tube, when used correctly, will last for many a mile. When amateurs use them, like most below, can be unreliable as these guys tend not to talc when fitting, hence not suprised they nearly kill themselves - get to know your bikes!

Favorite Trail:   L'Alpe D'huez

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Trek.

Submitted by Jeremy Pearson a Cross Country Rider from Liverpool, United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2003

Strengths:    Nice colour, and lightweight.

Weaknesses:    In my opinion, the main weakness of the Air-B inner tube is that it could well be the cause of your death. I used these tubes for the first time a few weeks ago. The first tube exploded (and the term "exploded" is not far from the truth), on the way down a steep pass (a paved road) in the English Lake District. The accident left me in a serious mess, and lucky to be alive. There was no impact to cause the tube to disintegrate. After the accident the tyre was checked for thorns etc and there was nothing. Care had been take to powder the tye carefully when the tube was originally put on. OK, I thought, I must have just had a bad tube.

I left the tube in the other (back) tyre for some weeks while recovering from the accident and took the bike away on a caravanning holiday with me. Because of my injuries, the bike sat, unridden, outside the caravan for over a week. During that week I cleaned the bike up and removed, checked and reseated the tube and tyre (again being careful to poweder etc). On the last day of my holiday I decided that I might just be able to ride a short distance again and went to the bike. The back tyre was flat and again the tube was shredded, with an even bigger gash. Air-B tubes, no thanks, I like being alive.

Bottom Line:
I will never use one of these tubes again as long as I live. I would urge others to be very, very careful and take note of some of the other reviewers comments as well as mine.

Favorite Trail:   Skiddaw

Purchased At:   Merlin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Have used a range of light and standard tubes over 15 years.

Bike Setup:   Specialised Rockhopper, Continental Tyres.

Submitted by Steve Meyer a Racer from Dillon, Colorado, Summit County

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, durable.

Weaknesses:    Check air pressure before each ride.

Bottom Line:
Whoa! I see some misguided Reviews! These tubes work great if used correctly. Massive tube failures are caused by friction between the rim strip and the tube. Use Velox Rim Strips and talc (baby powder), voila, no pinch flats or failures! Buy the "Racer's Favorite" for a rock solid dependable racing tube. Patching must be done with a real patch, not a speed patch kit: speed patches don't stretch, and thus pull off of the tube.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   A Racer's Edge

Similar Products Used:   Delta, Michelin, and Continental latex tubes suck!

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth, full XTR, Manitou Elite Air, Chris King Hubs/Headset.

Submitted by Andrew Kalter a Cross Country Rider from Norwalk, CT

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    Light, Cool color

Weaknesses:    Self Destruct, Can't Patch, Complete Blowouts

Bottom Line:
My race team all tried these tubes and they quickly started self-destructing. Blowouts while the bikes weren't even moving. Completely shreded tubes.

Air-B was good and gave us replacements which exploded. Then they gave us the heavy duty replacements. What is the point of having a heavy duty latex tube. I have used it a little but I am afraid.

Light butyl tubes work well. Undersized tubes work well also. I run 1.25 tubes in my 2.1 tires with no problems.

Similar Products Used:   Light Butyl tubes

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher OCLV and soon Sugar 1 under replacement warranty. Two thumbs up Gary Fisher.

Submitted by wiggle a Racer from london

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Strengths:    weight (if it worked)

Weaknesses:    punctures/blow-outs - don't last 5 minutes!

Bottom Line:
Fitted 2 of these tubes before training (about 45psi's). Back tyre pinch-flatted after about 5 minutes. Tube couldn't be repaired as patch wouldn't stick. Later the front tube blew out when I landed on a moderately sized rock - wasn't even going that fast. Took tyre off to find that the tube was shredded by about 10-15 centimetres.

Cannot believe both tubes popped so easily. I have never had even ultralight butyl tubes burst like this. Just glad I wasn't going faster at the time.

Don't waste your money. Get something that holds air. No chillis

Similar Products Used:   a number of lightweight/latex tubes

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works FSR

Submitted by Jeremy Carrivick a Weekend Warrior from Devon UK

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Split for no reason

Bottom Line:
The other day I wheeled my bike out of the garage to get the mower
out. Both tyres were pumped up. By the time I wheeled the bike back in again
one of the tyres was as flat as a pancake. So what, this happens sometime
maybe a thorn or something. Anyway I removed the tyre to discover that the
inner tube had split almost half its circumference! I dread to think what
would have happened had I been riding it at the time. It would seem to me
that this sort of catastophic failure indicates a weakness in the tubes
construction. I was able to easily continue the split as far as I wanted. It
is even possible to quite easily rip bits out of the tube. These tubes are
less than three months old since purchase.

Something is very wrong with the construction of these tubes. .. they are
potentially lethal. Dont buy them if you value your life!

Similar Products Used:   all sorts

Submitted by Brian Mckie a Cross Country Rider from SW Scotland

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Strengths:    light weight

Weaknesses:    overpriced,leak air and difficult to repair

Bottom Line:
I bought these tubes at a ridiculous price(£25 a pair) to save a bit of weight in the old wheel area.Found to my digust that they punctured as often as rubber tubes and the holes were huge end irrepairable.They also required inflating prior to every ride which gets a bit annoying.I evetually gave up with them and went back to the rubber tubes because at least you know where you stand with those.

Similar Products Used:   panaracer latex tubes

Bike Setup:   Fat Chance Yo eddy! custom spec

Submitted by Binx a Racer from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, more puncture resistant than a standard rubber tube.

Weaknesses:    Limited life, pressure must be checked before every ride, seem more susceptible to pinch flats than standard tubes.

Bottom Line:
These are nice light weight tubes but they have a very limited life. I only install mine for races and replace them bi-monthly. If you don't replace them regularly they have a tendency to explode for no reason. So if you do the math you will see that I only get 7 or rides out of them. Still, wheels are the most important place to shave weight. If you spend big bucks to shave grams off other bike parts then you can't overlook the tubes. I use standard tubes for training and during the off season. If I didn't race I probably wouldn't use these tubes at all.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Similar Products Used:   Other butyl tubes, Panaracer Greenlight, Spec lightweight

Bike Setup:   Titus with various XTR, Raceface, etc.

Submitted by John Deeley a Racer from Cardiff, UK

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2000

Strengths:    It's light, resists punctures and doesn't require re-inflating daily (Like my other Latex tubes)

Weaknesses:    Price and vulnerability to Pinch Flats if under inflated

Bottom Line:
Unlike most people who've posted on this subject, I'm a roady, running an odd bike, in mostly on road situations.
If you use your beloved mountain bike on the road with slicks, use this tube, it's light and rolls well, but keep it pumped right up !
It's very puncture resistant at normal (High) pressure, but V prone to snakebites if the pressure is too low.
Contrary to previous posts I've had no problem patching, by preparing well, using a quality adhesive and patch (non of this Leeches cr*p) and they seem quite happy under the carcase. All the punctures I have sustained I got on one trip, I knicked a stone which caused the first hole, then as the pressure got lower and lower I picked up a further SIX snakebites!, being so far forward it's had to feel the rear going down (honest!).
Excellent piece of kit, only wish SJSC had fitted smaller tubes (they fitted 2.1's into a 1.3 tyre - reason for all the snakebits????)
jkd

Favorite Trail:   Afan Argoed Country Park

Purchased At:   Supplied on Bike from St John Street cycles, Bridgewater, UK

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Butyl and Vittoria Latex

Bike Setup:   Thorn Triplet, Vreidestien S licks (1.3) on Sun Rhyno Rims, 48 spokes at both ends, tyre pressures about 100 -110 psi being ridden by 1 adult at 80kilos and 2 children at about 40 a piece

Submitted by AC a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Strengths:    Light & Tough

Weaknesses:    Slowly leaks down

Bottom Line:
I have the Schrader valve tubes, reported to weigh 135 gms. Last year I put one of these in my rear wheel, and simultaneously put a new Slime tube in the front. I run 35-40 psi. in the rear and 40-45 in the front. The rear Air-B tube needed re-inflation on a daily basis, while the slime tube never needed to be topped off. Yesterday, the Slime tube developed a pinhole leak that the slime wouldn't seal. It's usual for me for a slime tube to last about one year, and then the slime loses effectiveness (dries out ?). The Air-B tube looked brand new. Incidentally, I ride in an area thick with goathead thorns, I can pick up a dozen just wheeling through my front yard. Even if the tube were to blow a seam today, I'd still be happy with the one year's service, especially at such a low weight. The price on these varies, as does their availability, but if you can get them for the $13.99 I paid at Cambria, I can heartily recommend them for trailriding. Not so sure about downhill/freeriding, if you check previous posts.

Purchased At:   Cambria Mail Order