Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB Wolverine 2.2" Tire

4.38/5 (39 Reviews)

WolverineTCS (Tubeless) InThe wild, wolverines are knownTo attack anything, often preying on much larger animals. OnTheTrail,The Wolverine confidentlyTackles dicey descents, flies across flats and devours steep climbs.This fast-rollingTire’s moderately-spacedTread pattern combines plentiful working edgesThat clingTo hardpack and outside knobsThat let you shred corners. Like its namesake,The Wolverine’s slight profile belies its fierce bite. 660 grams UST aramid bead dual dna ru

Submitted by Highlander664

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2013

Strengths:    Fast rolling. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Limited traction

Bottom Line:
The WTB Wolverine 2.2 came stock on my KHS XCT 556. They are OK tires and fill that middle of the road need. They have more traction than say a Maxxis Aspen, but don't roll as fast. They are faster than the Kenda Nevegals but don't grip nearly as well, I guess they're good tires if you're starting out and want to explore different terrain, but one you got your local trails figured out, there are better tires.

I've removed the Wolverines completely and now run Kenda Nevegals up front and Maxxis Aspens on the back. So far, a nice combination for So. Cal fire roads and single tracks.

Submitted by PhxChem a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2012

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance. Works great in almost any dry trail conditions. Works good in slightly wet (but not muddy) conditions.

Weaknesses:    Almost zero traction in mud. Packs up with mud, etc. very fast.

Bottom Line:
I have used these tires on two different bikes, one a 26 hartail, the other a 29er full suspension.

As a rider in central AZ, this tire works pretty good 99% of the time. This is, when it's dry. Even with a relatively shallow tread, which gives it good (low) rolling resistance, the tire has very good traction in almost all dry conditions. When I first got this tire, I initially switch the direction of the REAR tire based on what I perceived would be "best direction" looking at the tread. However, it actually gets much better traction when put in the correct direction as indicated on the tire (that is, front and rear in the same direction).

As a rear tire on my FS, I never had it slip in dry conditions, even on steep rocky terrain. As a front tire, I never had a washout.

However, find any mud, and you're going to wish you had a different tire.

Favorite Trail:   Black Canyon Trail

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Nashbar and came one

Similar Products Used:   Prowler MX

Bike Setup:   2010 Scott Aspect
2012 Diamondback Sortie 29er

Submitted by zodiac-biker

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2012

Strengths:    I am 6'1" 235lbs sport class rider and downhill racer and use a Yeti 575 for all things upto and xc races also a Yeti dh 9 for downhilling.Fast!!! That said , they are fast with great traction on hardpack and loose over hardpack. I would say they are good in mud but not good on the back when trail turns wet w/ roots and rock. I tried the tire first on the front with a kenda nav 2.35 rear and loved the the speed a traction upfront. Next i put one on the back and front...wow, speed all day.

Weaknesses:    ok...so being that Im a big guy I can put out alot of tourque, and thats where the tire showed some weaknesses. loose on a climb they started to break loose and i had to ease off the power a bit. Also if the trail gets wet the tire has a tough time hooking up on roots and some rock but never made me have to step off.

Bottom Line:
I plane on useing this tire front and back in an xc race as long as the trail stays smi-dry to dry and will post back after...I thinkthis will be a great tire and worth the 30.00 i paid each.

Submitted by Mike E.

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Inexpensive, 2.2 width, durable, fast rolling with good grip.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Good compromise on rolling resistance and grip. Not as grippy as the WTB Raptors but roll much much faster. Good on hardpack, sand, small roots. Not the best or worst in mud.

Submitted by Joe

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    Fast-rolling, not too heavy, nicely grippy, good size.

Weaknesses:    I am a little concerned about wear. I haven't had the tire long and I've been riding pretty hard, but it feels like a soft compound that might wear quickly. We'll see.

Bottom Line:
I had a large volume front tire previously (WTB Tyrannoraptor) which had good bite on corners due to substantial side knobbies. The Wolverine is not as aggressively knobbed but it feels like it has just as much bite. In addition, and somewhat counterintuitively, I have been a little shocked at just how fast-rolling the tire is. The Tyrannoraptor sounded and felt like a lawnmower compared to the Wolverine. The trails I ride get pretty wet and are root-heavy so a certain level of stickiness is necessary in a tire around here. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the Wolverine has gripped for rocks and roots. Finally, it's a pretty large tire (2.2) and it feels like that translates more in height than in width. This was a little disconcerting at first - compared to the profile of the Tyrannoraptor - but I now think that that height has made the tire "dig" a bit more and has allowed a lower tire pressure which has made a big difference in the grip. All around solid purchase.

Submitted by Mikol a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2012

Strengths:    After 20 miles
Grip 9/10
Speed 8/10
Durability 10/10

Weaknesses:    None yet at 20miles
Kinda heavy

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy this tire. Recently bought a db overdrive 29ers and it came with the bike. Im a newbie at riding but also a bike tech so I did my homework. Given my accessibility to bike products I decided to stay with the factory tire.
You know might as well ride it.
So I weigh about 150 pounds and ride these baby's real low like 28-30 front n back. And boy do they grip. I do mostly rock and xc and they roll swell on them both. Great rebound and excellent grip at slow to moderate speed.
Really love the this tire.
No sign of wear for the first 20 miles. Plenty
More to go. Will update often.

Favorite Trail:   Lake hodges

Purchased At:   Came with purchase a

Bike Setup:   Overdrive 29er on SRAM x5 xct v3 in the front

Submitted by shenny88 a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2012

Strengths:    lightweight, excellent size for trail/xc, minimal rolling resistance, good grip for it's speed and intended purpose, zero durability issues

Weaknesses:    If you want maximum grip and are not concerned with speed, this is not your tire.

Bottom Line:
It is a good compromise between a grippy and fast tire. Not the best grip, not the fastest rolling, but somewhere in between. The 2.2 is a really good sized/shaped 2.2" tire.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   D&D Bikes Berkley

Similar Products Used:   Velociraptors, Bont. XR3s, Nevegals, Bont. XDXs, Weirwolfs

Bike Setup:   Trance X

Submitted by imasavagemonkey a Weekend Warrior from Marin, CA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2011

Strengths:    Grip and rolling resistance in most conditions.

Weaknesses:    Wet rocks and roots.

Bottom Line:
About a week ago, I rode up most of the 1st and 3rd divide at Downieville. I had a 2.35 DTC Kenda Bloove Grove in the front and the Wolverine in the back. I was actually really impressed with how secure the tire felt, even through the rocky stuff. I even rode through some light snow without a problem. I usually ride Downieville with 2.5 Dissents.. but I'm glad I didn't switch out my tires since we had to climb this time since it was too icy at the top for a shuttle run. I probably won't even switch to my Dissents next year because I rolled soo much better with the Wolverines and still had enough grip to have fun.

I also just rode Tamarancho while it was raining the other day. The tired cleared the mud very well and had pretty good traction.. except on the wet roots and rocks. I still felt like the tire behaved well enough not to warrant a change for winter riding. My Blue Groove up front kept my front end from sliding around too much so I still felt safe.

I would recommend this tire! I was using a 2.35 Kenda SB8 as a rear tire for a while, but it always felt a little sketchy. The Wolverine not only feels like it has more grip, but also rolls a lot better!!

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal, Kenda Bloove Groove, Maxxis High Roller, Kenda SB8.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet 2

Submitted by MHanslip a Racer from Canberra, Aiustralia

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2011

Strengths:    Grip, predictability, fast rolling

Weaknesses:    Soft lugs tear up when you are having fun

Bottom Line:
I love these tyres. I run a pair of 29" ones on my race hardtail too. On the 26" dually, the rear tyre gets a lot of abuse. The side lugs are torn (looks like I hit them with a power sander) and the center lugs are quite worn but for some reason it still provides nice predictable traction and sliding. I can climb most trails - even the loose ones - as long as I pedal smoothly.
So wear is moderately high but the tyre keeps working well through its tread life. I can't say that about many other tyres.
This is a fun back tyre.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Python, Small Block 8

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX with Mutano Raptor up front and Wolverine out back

Submitted by yourdaguy a Cross Country Rider from southern Indiana

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Strengths:    Traction in many conditions

Weaknesses:    Not as cushy as an exiwolf

Bottom Line:
I have this on the front of my more Mud oriented bike and it rocks. I have not used it on the rear, but it looks like it would be a good rear for some setups. It has good rolling resistance, great side grip, fairly good mud shedding, and just generally rocks on the front.

Favorite Trail:   scales

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   4 Niners: Jet9, One9, 2 Sir9's

Submitted by Tropheus a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent cornering, plenty of grip

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This was my 1st ride on these tyres as I only picked them up yesterday. Rode a few tracks in the Rotorua forest and conditions were wet, with slippery muddy puddles, rooty areas, and great singletrack to negotiate. Most of the base is sandy, with clay corners which the Wolverines handled great. In fact I was pushing them higher than normal round the berms to see if I could get them to break out. Pleased they didnt. Only had one off as a "normal" looking puddle turned out to be 18" deep!
I would recommend these to anyone who rides general trails, as for me they stick like the proverbial.
I have rated value as high, however, I purchased two new tyres and tubes from a guy stripping his bike, so I got a bargain.

Favorite Trail:   Rotorua

Purchased At:   TradeMe

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal,Conti Mountain King,Kenda Karma,Maxxis Crossmark

Bike Setup:   2010 GT Sensor 29er. SLX, Avid Elixer 5's,Fox front and rear, Stylo riser bars.

Submitted by Captain Picky a Cross Country Rider from Seal Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    Refuses to break loose on super-steep, out-of-the-saddle, pedal-mashing climbs. Corners fairly well. Rolls fairly quickly.

Weaknesses:    Super-sketchy in loose conditions, especially gravel! Could be a little more affordable, but then again, WTB usually makes pretty high-quality stuff.

Bottom Line:
Hooks up super-well on dry, dusty, gritty hardpack, which is what most of my native SoCal is all about. I've got the 2.2 UST version, and it's an excellent tire for XC or even "All-mountain" rides.

Favorite Trail:   My after-work loop

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   WTB Mutano 2.4 (fast but washes out easily in corners), WTB Moto 2.4 (rolls like it's made of stone)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz "Chameleon" singlespeed, Crossmax ST wheels, Sektor RL 120 fork, SLX brakes

Submitted by hookooekoorider a Cross Country Rider from East Bay, CA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2011

Strengths:    High volume, low rolling resistance for a 2.2 cross country tire. Corners well.

Weaknesses:    Does not hook up in wet conditions (roots, rock). Even worse in the mud...slides all over the place. But then again, it is not made for these conditions.

Bottom Line:
This is purely a dry weather tire. Fast, high volume, corners well in dry hard pack. Loses traction in wet conditions and mud. Higher volume than 2.1 Kenda Excavator when mounted on Crossmax wheels at 38 lbs. Diameter of the tire (top to bottom) mounted on wheel was a good quarter inch bigger than Kenda Excavator, which means more volume and absorption of small road chatter. A true 2.2 width. Would give it just 3 chilis as an all around tire because it performs so poorly in wet and mud. However, I'm giving it 4 chilis because it was really only made for dry conditions. 3 chilis for value because you need separate tires for wet conditions.

Favorite Trail:   unnamed single track in Shell Ridge

Purchased At:   stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   Kenda nevegal 2.1, Kenda excavator 2.1, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1, Specialized Enduro Pro 2.1

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem X2

Submitted by epiclimber a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2010

Strengths:    I use the TCS version as rear tire. Very low rollig resistance. Great on hardpack very good on loose grounds (gravel etc.). very predictable in dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    Scary to climb on rocks when wet or when coverd in mud. Loses quite a bit of air when using Stan's conversion kit

Bottom Line:
One of the fastest tires i ever had. Simply supreb for XC rider in dry conditions. Not good for technical rides in wet condition but wasn't made for it.
I would defently buy it again for dry conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Adolam

Similar Products Used:   You name it.

Bike Setup:   Altitude 50

Submitted by iceaxe a Cross Country Rider from Novi, MI

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    Low roll resistance, Light weight for volume, excellent grip given the low tread, predictable in a slide

Weaknesses:    packs up with mud, difficult to seal with sealant (if this is important to you

Bottom Line:
For the weight and amount of tread, this tire really hooks up. I run it as a rear in reverse direction and it performs very well. Braking tends to suffer when running tires like these in reverse; not with these. As expected, rolling resistance is pretty low. Definitely not a tire for mud. Like most standard WTB tires they are difficult to convert to tubeless and even when you do, they tend to perform better with tubes. Overall great tire for the back, I haven't tried up front

Favorite Trail:   Poto