Home | Reviews | Tire | WTB

WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT Tire

4.85/5 (26 Reviews)
Weight : 760 grams MSRP : $60.00

The design features a fast-rolling, soil piercing central tread that is ramped for low roll resistance and square-edged for powerful braking. Large transitional openings between knobs channel soil outward, enhancing traction as progressive staggered outside knobs provide maximum support in leans and corners.

Submitted by Overdrive a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2012

Strengths:    Low resistance, great for dry and almost dry surfaces. Tarmac, gravel, dirt, you choose. Great apsorbing power, and comfort.

Weaknesses:    Build quality... one tire is spining in a perfect line, the other desn't, it's just a bit, but I noticed it.

Bottom Line:
I use this tires in 60% tarmac and damaged tarmac, 40% gravel / dirt surfaces, and I can tell that I'm more than pleased. I didn't expect for such a large tire to have such a low rolling resistance. For example, WTB Velociraptor 2.1 is harder to drive.

Submitted by 4everriding a Cross Country Rider from Fruita

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2012

Strengths:    Great rear tire.
Rolls fast for its size and hooks up well in the rocky, sandy, occasional hardpack, light to medium snow, and oh yes slickrock.
I felt the weight was never an issue because of the increased traction.
Never tore a sidewall in a full season of riding in Fruita, Grand Junction, and Moab.
No problems with tubeless setup.

Weaknesses:    No longer in production.
Got the new 2.5 and it is almost as good.

Bottom Line:
Great rear tire for an All Mountain/Enduro Racer set up. Not the lightest tire rolling but really good for its size. I would buy 2 or 3 more of the 2.55's if I could find them.

Favorite Trail:   Whatever is dry

Purchased At:   Grassroots Cycle

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Conti, Maxxis, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan full xx w/ easton Haven wheels

Submitted by bigbeck a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2011

Strengths:    Spins up really fast for a tire of this size

Weaknesses:    Poor cornering grip when used as front tire in loose terrain.

Bottom Line:
This tire works poor in the front for a 2.5. I have other 2.5 tires that put this to shame including a Continental,Specialized and Bontrager not to mention the WTB MutanoRaptor which is fairly narrow but grips better in turns.

However it does excel as rear tire. I normally don't run wide rear tires because the spin up is too slow. So far, this is my favorite 2.5 rear tire.

Favorite Trail:   Sourlands

Similar Products Used:   37 different tires

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT

Submitted by bmonzingo a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2011

Strengths:    Sticks to just about anything, rolls smooth, creates confidence in the corners, absorbs the large rocks and roots, fast and agile.

Weaknesses:    Size--even though this could be a strength, on your cross country bike it might be a little too large in the rear. I can tell if my rear wheel gets out of whack I will be dealing with some rubbing, but don't be scared of the larger size.

Bottom Line:
Freakin' awesome tire! I just put these on my bike yesterday and rode 7 miles of the Greenbelt in Austin and got back to my apartment with a large smile on my face. I was running the Rocket Ron on front and rear and I didn't realize how bad they cornered until I put these bad boys on! Get you some of these!

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal, S-Works stock tires, Larsen TT, Monorails, Schwable Rocket Ron

Bike Setup:   S-Works Epic, Thompson stem and post, DT Swiss Wheelset, SRAM XO.

Submitted by Rad Rider 415 a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2011

Strengths:    Rolling resistance is great and so is the traction and confidence in going into corners

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Ran this tire up front when my bike was rigid. After all the rocks I ride, it never slipped or let me down.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Gretna PA

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   WTB Exiwolf and Prowler

Bike Setup:   Redline D440

Submitted by CHP71 a Weekend Warrior from Maple Valley, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2010

Strengths:    Fast, just like everyone says

Weaknesses:    None that I have found yet

Bottom Line:
So far these have been great tires. since I have had them the weather has been wet and the trails slick and these tires have done great. I was a little concerned with the low tread with the slick trails but it has not been an issue. I can't wait for things to dry up here in the Pacific Northwest becasue these tires are going to be great!

Favorite Trail:   Black Diamond

Purchased At:   On line

Similar Products Used:   Other WTB Tires

Bike Setup:   Redline D660 Single Speed 32/18 Ridged

Submitted by Okie81 a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2010

Strengths:    FAST! Rolling resistance was almost no-existant

Weaknesses:    Haven't been in any mud yet but judging from the tread design, it might pose an issue

Bottom Line:
Did I mention these things were fast? WOW! As a matter of fact, I did a century ride on them and would have been in trouble with any other tire.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   tree fort

Similar Products Used:   velociraptor, high roller, adrenaline and captain

Bike Setup:   03 Specialized Stumpy FSR

Submitted by Space Moose a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2010

Strengths:    Rolling speed! Off the line power. Rolling speed. Smooth ride. Did I mention rolling speed? Cushy, high volume.

Weaknesses:    Spits grit and rocks more than a deeper tread. No magical properties that make it great on flat/dry and technical/muddy, so you have to pick which you prefer.

Bottom Line:
I swapped out my Nevegals for these and the difference was like night and day. The volume on both is quite cushy, but these just ride so very much faster.

I most do pavement riding, but wanted the option to do some relatively easy XC as well. One thing I noticed right away was that these are way quicker in accelerating from a stop. When you're riding in the city, that's a real benefit!

Interesting note, these have slightly more volume than the Nevegal 2.2's, but including tread, these 2.55 LT tires are actually noticeably thinner than the 2.2's. I was a little worried that I'd have clearance for this tire, as the Nevegals were close to rubbing, but these are downright svelte for such a fat tire. Don't hesitate because of the 2.55 size.

Now, I'm looking to sell my Nevegal 29x2.2's (DTC foldable). They are great, cushy tire, but just aren't made for the city riding I do. I've put about 10km of pavement riding on them, and I'm looking to get rid of them for a song.

I love these after even a short use. They're just the trick for any urban warriors out there on their 29ers, who still want the option of going off-road (and don't want the Big Apples).

As for value, I found them on Amazon for $25 each. That's a steal!

Favorite Trail:   East Canyon

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Nevegal 29x2.2

Bike Setup:   2008 Haro Mary XC

Submitted by johnhugo71 a Cross Country Rider from grand rapids, mi

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    grip, rolling resistance, grip, grip and grip.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
i don't normally gush over something but these tires are amazing, i'm a big clyde (270) and i'm running these around 30psi and they grip on everything i've rolled over better than any tire i've ridden. they float over sand, find traction on loose over hard, bite on leafy trails. i haven't had them in the mud yet but i can see them packing up pretty quick and sliding there but they are a low tread tire. if you are in dry conditions i don't think you can run a better tire. everyone brags up their nevegals but the 2.35 i was running is nowhere near as fast or grip as well as this tire. love it!

Favorite Trail:   which ever one i'm on

Purchased At:   local mtb forum

Similar Products Used:   nevegal 2.35, panaracer fire xc pro 2.1, specialized fast track lp 2.0, wtb velociraptor 2.1, few others i can't remember

Bike Setup:   c-dale rush 3z, few upgrades

Submitted by zebulon a Cross Country Rider from Summit, NJ

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Strengths:    This is the best high-volume tire I have found. Volume is critical if you suffer thru east coast trails (rocks and roots) and don't have or are unwilling to carry full suspension. Not very heavy considering size. Low Tread (LT) more than adequate.

Weaknesses:    Fit. Gotta make sure it will fit thru your dropouts. 26x2.55 fits thru the rear of my GT avalanche, but only by MM. I get rubs on the frame if I get out of true. Amazing how fast dirt and rubber can cut aluminum. Also, tire pressure. Wide shoes like these should be run at lower pressure. I run about 25 lbs. YMMV

Bottom Line:
Tire volume is the best suspension. (That is why every off-road vehicle uses pneumatic tires) Hi-vol tires like these are the best for comfort, *and* speed. Too heavy for you weight weenies? Weigh full suspension some time. You gotta find the right tire pressure.

Favorite Trail:   Leris Morris/round Valley

Purchased At:   various

Similar Products Used:   Other wide tires. Don't confuse lot's of width with konbs and such with tru volume. Only the volume smooths terrain. At then end of the day, you actually don't need much texture on your tire. (try riding with wide slicks... it's not that bad if it's dry)

Bike Setup:   Rigid. GT Avalanche. Now Salasa Big Mama super plush (FS + 29/2.55)

Submitted by GoremanX a Weekend Warrior from Ile-Aux-Noix, QC

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2009

Strengths:    Nice size, tons of volume, good traction on most surfaces, super fast on hardpack and pavement, extremely easy to convert to tubeless

Weaknesses:    Not as wide as WTB claims (despite my super-wide rims), whips gravel into the air, a bit on the expensive side

Bottom Line:
I'm using the Team FR version of this tire, which has WTB's "Inner Peace" sidewall. I run this tire on the front wheel. It's absolutely perfect for my purposes since I do rough trails and paved paths and everything in between. I've noticed almost no slow-down on pavement from my old Continental Town & Country, but my off-road agility has gone way up. My only real issue is that it tends to pick up a lot of gravel and flings it into my face and onto my bike's frame. Since I live on a gravel road, this has become an annoyance. I've ordered a front fender which will hopefully take care of the problem.

Combined with a WTB Nano Raptor 2.1 Race rear tire, my bike has become the ultimate in versatile transportation. I can ride 50 miles on paced roads, and then veer off onto a barely-used mountain trail without missing a beat. A perfect combination.

Favorite Trail:   Island Line, Burlington, VT

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Blue Dragon, Continental Town & Country

Bike Setup:   2008 Kona Hoss, Bombshell Fat Daddy 26" wheelset (45mm wide), converted to tubeless

Submitted by abutcherabaker a Weekend Warrior from Taos, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Strengths:    Fast rollers; seems to bite on all terrain but the most extreme rocks; predictable drift. No pinch-flats (yet). Relatively light for such a beefy tire.

Weaknesses:    A little sketchy on some rocky areas/boulder fields. Not sure there's enough grip for mud.

Bottom Line:
Holy smokes. I just got back from a 7-mile climb up to Garcia Park then down South Boundary back to town on my new Weirwlof 2.55 LTs front and rear. Not only was I able to climb with relative ease but these things are freaks on the downs! They accelerate faster than any other tire I've ever used and once they get going they like to grip all sorts of terrain. This trail has it all from high-speed off-camber singletrack with the occasional air to sand, roots, logovers, rocks, and some more rocks. These tires absolutely fly and I found myself on the brakes more than ususal, but it didn't matter because I still put in my best time ever. I am 6'3" 220lbs. and had a bit of trouble with pinch-flats so wanted to go with a bigger tire. Sure am glad I found this one. Cannot imagine a better tire for my Giant Reign in the high-desert terrain around Taos.

Favorite Trail:   South Boundary

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   IRC Trail Bear, IRC Mibro, WTB Velociraptors, several others

Bike Setup:   2008 Giant Reign X0, stock.

Submitted by cmonkEP a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2009

Strengths:    grip, HUGE volume, and they roll fast... maybe too fast.

Weaknesses:    HUGE Volume... may not fit in your fork/frame, barely fit

Bottom Line:
I run one of thee up front with a Panaracer Rampage in the rear.
Some words of praise:
They stick on rocks, they stick on roots, they stick on sand, they stick on gravel, they even stick on light sand over hardened clay (think ball bearings on a concrete floor).
They roll fast, incredibly fast for their volume and grip.

The only time they don't stick is when your ride on wet roots and rocks, but living in AZ that's not really a problem.

I'm not sure how they do for a rear tire, but up front they can't be beat.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm riding

Purchased At:   Arizona Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Fire XC, Rampage, Dart, Wierwolf 2.3, Nevegals, Conti's... the list goes on

Bike Setup:   Custom; Hope/Swiss wheels, Thompson, XT drivetrain, Marzocchi, these up front, Rampages out back, all stuck on a fetish frame.

Submitted by hairylegs a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    Huge volume tire. It's the poor man's suspension. These tires came on a rigid 29er I bought 2nd hand and I love how they run at low pressure (25 psi).

Weaknesses:    I call this tire "the magic goat head location device". I've had more flats than I can count. They're thin walled and HUGE so they puncture if you look at them a little too hard. They roll fast and they grip the trail more than you'd think for the low profile.

If you've got a rigid fork, there's no better front tire out there. But you can play around with the rear tire.

Bottom Line:
Great tires for the front. Can't beat them for a bike with a rigid fork. You should experiment for the rear tire instead of settling for this one- it can be overwhelmed on loose soil.

They're hard to covert to tubeless without a compressor, and even then it's not easy.

Purchased At:   On 2nd hand bike

Similar Products Used:   Only big (and by that I mean HUGE) 29er tires I've ever seen. There's really nothing to compare them to.

Bike Setup:   1x1 (36x19) on a rigid steel 29er

Submitted by shanedawg a Downhiller from san jose, ca

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2009

Strengths:    nice combo of weight, rolling resistance and pinch flat protection

Weaknesses:    kinda specific to certain kinds of riding

Bottom Line:
Great tire.
I especially like it for urban riding where the volume, low tread, and inner peace sidewall all make for a smooth, efficient and pinch flat resistant tire. I can ride up staircases and not worry about flats. It does all this without being a tank and rolling slow.

I also used on on trails but it does not have that great of traction on anything loose, or loose over hardpack. In the springtime or fall when the trails are tacky whip it out and have some fun.

I use it for dirt jumping too but I think a slightly lighter tire would be better. They should come out with a 2.25 version that weighs about 150gm's less to compete with the small block eight for pure dirt jumpers

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   passion trail bikes

Similar Products Used:   kenda small block eight, blue groove, wtb weirwolf, maxxis minions, lots of others

Bike Setup:   chameleon setup for urban and DJ

Replacement for the Weirwolf LT race 2.55 tire

Anybody have any suggestions for a replacement for the discontinued 29" WTB Weirwolf LT Race 2.55" Tire? I'm looking for something super high volume, relatively fast rolling, with low profile knobs. The Ardent 2.4 won't quite fit, so I need something that has lower profile side knobs. The Bontrager ... Read More »

New Weirwolf 29er LT 2.5" vs old 2.55" Qs

X-posting from Wheels forum since I didn't get any responses there, and it is 29er related, after all. I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm hoping someone can post a picture of the new 29er WWLT 2.5 next to the older 2.55. The stock photos on wtb's site can't really show t ... Read More »

New Weirwolf 29er LT 2.5" vs old 2.55" Qs

I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm hoping someone can post a picture of the new 29er WWLT 2.5 next to the older 2.55. The stock photos on wtb's site can't really show the difference I'm looking for. I've read that the newer version is not as much a low-tread design and h ... Read More »

Panaracer Rampage 2.35 vs WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55

I have both of these tires to go on a fully rigid SS (Kona Unit) running ghetto tubeless (split tube). Which would you put on front? I actually have two of the Rampages, though, so another option is to use those front & rear. Terrain is typical midwest - some short/steep hills, rocks, roots ... Read More »

Wolverine 2.2 or Weirwolf 2.55 LT for front tire ?

I have two of these 2 tires but one has to be given to a freind. They seem to have the same case volume but the 2.55 Lt's tread is a smidge wider (small for a 2.55). Any opinions as to which would make for a better front tire ? Thanks.Read More »